Can I be Christian and Not Believe the Bible?

Wgw

Pray For Brussels!
May 24, 2015
✟15,107.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
This is the third time I've quoted him. He hasn't even bothered to edit his post. Why are you continuing to deny he has said this?

If you don't believe me and are unable to scroll up on this page, simply click on the up arrow in the quote provided.

To use your very specific example, not going to Church for fear of being shot would constitute a renunciation. One could avoid this by organizing an underground church, but simply deciding mentally "I will not go to church because I might be blown away" is essentially a non-verbal, passive renunciation.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
A nihilist doesn't believe in anything, and we certainly don't make assumptions.

A person who doesn't believe anything and who doesn't assume would be brain dead.

So then their martyrs prove nothing?

Why should a martyr need to prove anything; it is the killers who determine the reason. the martyr refuses to bow the knee, others then create a god

of the martyr.

Kind of sad you are trying so hard to regulate the free exchange of ideas. Is your worldview that fragile?

What a load of nonsense from someone who doesn't assume.

What is your objective in posting this, and what is your point?

I thought we were having a conversation; you brought up Paul and I was of the opinion Paul was off limits; I don't mind discussing Paul but I am sure the thread would soon be closed.

Also, you cite this:

Christians are stewards of Christ and His word and as such it is expected that all non Christians be treated respectfully by speaking the truth in love (1 Peter 3:15).

And then say this:

I like a good joke; you assume that you know what a nihilist is; the first thing a nihilist does is assume every one else is an idiot.

It doesn't sound like you were treating me with much respect.

No, I was respectfully suggesting you were not a nihilist at all.

I'm fine with that, but why post a rule which you have openly violated?

T
A nihilist doesn't believe in anything, and we certainly don't make assumptions.

So then their martyrs prove nothing?

Kind of sad you are trying so hard to regulate the free exchange of ideas. Is your worldview that fragile?

What is your objective in posting this, and what is your point?

I like a good joke; you assume that you know what a nihilist is; the first thing a nihilist does is assume every one else is an idiot.

It doesn't sound like you were treating me with much respect.
his is another assumption.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The bible is inspired by God. Written by spirit filled people. Directed by God. The bible has a purpose, to tell/show people what God says

Do you think frank zappa wrote his own biography?
How do you know the bible is inspired by god?

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
We can believe this because of miraculous circumstances that don't characterize any other book. Its writings were destroyed by those in power who wanted it eliminated a number of times, and it would not be expected to still be around, yet there is far more manuscript testimony to what was written than for any other ancient writing. It shows greater reliability in historical accounts, it is with many prophecies with a number of them already fulfilled, it shows revelation that we should expect God would provide, but speaking to controversial ideas with positions that are not what people would come to themselves, with lives changed with trusting the gospel of Christ with reading from it. Why think it would not be from God?

To use your very specific example, not going to Church for fear of being shot would constitute a renunciation. One could avoid this by organizing an underground church, but simply deciding mentally "I will not go to church because I might be blown away" is essentially a non-verbal, passive renunciation.

This belief might be common, or maybe even promoted, in some churches. But it isn't with something in the Bible placing that much importance on church attendance, to be regardless of problems. This thread is about importance of believing the Bible to belief as a Christian. Even with not really reading it one may be a believer, but the Bible should be valued for it. It would be really heretical to just disbelieve the Bible, as it gives basis for our Christian faith, with the gospel in it with Christ made known as our savior and Lord. It is desirable to be with other believers in church, but not as serious as believers' need for the Bible that they can read or hear, though they would have a need for some fellowship with other believers, and should worship Yahweh God, even with others.

Upvote 0

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus said He came not to abolish the law. As you'll read...he is the same yesterday, today and forever.if God never changes , His word won't either. "My words will never pass away". Also, the ot is super awesome, give it look. U can see in Isaiah and micah where they speak of Jesus. Actually, you know Jesus was Jewish right...Jews...even Messianic Jews of course...hold the Torah in such high esteem...(the old testament) they follow feasts to the dot etc. And, you did read how the Jews are the chosen ones!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As of right now, I have decided to become Christian. The reason I can be this is because I believe the message of Jesus was a wondrous and beautiful message indeed. And I would like to follow it. So as a Christian, my first goal is to understand Jesus more than ever before. Is that not what all the disciples did? I would like to become more like them. And so to better understand Jesus I would like to see things more from his point of view. Now the new testament offers a pretty good view of this.
So when I hear that Jesus said that the old laws are still in effect I see who he was talking to. He was talking primarily to Jews and not me. And that is good for me to know so I can now forget about the old testament and focus on the new. The old is just there to be viewed from an historical perspective. So am I not now a Christian but perhaps of a different denomination? Now I am beginning to wonder if this denomination already exists?
Great post.
I myself do not keep the Fri-Sat sabbath and I do not restrict myself to the OT dietary laws [such as not being able to eat pork and other restricted foods]as does SDA and MESSIANIC sects do, as I consider all foods are now considered clean under the NT/NC...IMHO

Luke 5:
37 "And no one is casting Young/neon <3501> Wine into Old skins, if yet no surely shall be ruined the Wine, the Young/neoV <3501> of the skins, and it shall be being poured out and its skin shall be perishing.
38 but Young/neon <3501> Wine into New/kainouV <2537> skins is to be cast and both are preserved together.
39 and no one drinking Old immediately is willing Young, for he is saying, 'for the the Old is kind/mellow'".

Hebrews 8:13
in the to be saying `New/kainhn <2537>,' He hath made Old the first.
The yet being aged and being obsolete nigh of disappearance

Here is a good board for debating the Old vs New in the Bible:

http://www.christianforums.com/forums/sabbath-and-the-law.1131/
Sabbath and The Law

The Sabbath and the Law forum is for discussing a variety of topics related to Sabbath day worship and keeping the law. All member's who participate in this forum are self-identified Christians through adherence to the Christian Forums' Statement of Faith and the Trinitarian nature of God........

Upvote 0