Can I be Christian and Not Believe the Bible?

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As of right now, I have decided to become Christian. The reason I can be this is because I believe the message of Jesus was a wondrous and beautiful message indeed. And I would like to follow it. So as a Christian, my first goal is to understand Jesus more than ever before. Is that not what all the disciples did? I would like to become more like them. And so to better understand Jesus I would like to see things more from his point of view. Now the new testament offers a pretty good view of this. So when I hear that Jesus said that the old laws are still in effect I see who he was talking to. He was talking primarily to Jews and not me. And that is good for me to know so I can now forget about the old testament and focus on the new. The old is just there to be viewed from an historical perspective. So am I not now a Christian but perhaps of a different denomination? Now I am beginning to wonder if this denomination already exists?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As of right now, I have decided to become Christian. The reason I can be this is because I believe the message of Jesus was a wondrous and beautiful message indeed. And I would like to follow it. So as a Christian, my first goal is to understand Jesus more than ever before. Is that not what all the disciples did? I would like to become more like them. And so to better understand Jesus I would like to see things more from his point of view. Now the new testament offers a pretty good view of this. So when I hear that Jesus said that the old laws are still in effect I see who he was talking to. He was talking primarily to Jews and not me. And that is good for me to know so I can now forget about the old testament and focus on the new. The old is just there to be viewed from an historical perspective. So am I not now a Christian but perhaps of a different denomination? Now I am beginning to wonder if this denomination already exists?

It looks more like you've misunderstood Jesus on that point. While there are a few churches that essentially view the Old Testament as not their primary source of guidance, all the rest view the New Testament as establishing what elements of the Old are retained and which have been superseded by Christ's sacrifice.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It looks more like you've misunderstood Jesus on that point. While there are a few churches that essentially view the Old Testament as not their primary source of guidance, all the rest view the New Testament as establishing what elements of the Old are retained and which have been superseded by Christ's sacrifice.
I like that point of view but I have not read where Jesus said that. So if the old testament is simply not our primary source of guidance why do so many Christians seem to be using it that way?

Upvote 0

eyupmiduk

Jul 8, 2010
Nottingham, UK
✟10,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Givemereason, Glad to hear you've decided to become a Christian. As a Christian, you've put your trust in the Jesus' death on the cross to heal your relationship with God. Before Jesus came and did his thing, the Jews had to follow the Old Testament writings to do this. Jesus said "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." (Mark 5:17). I take that to mean that our relationship with the Law and the Prophets, the Old Testament, has changed from that of the Jews. Not an all consuming following of the Law, as Jesus fulfilled the Law, and we now follow Jesus. But equally, we aren't meant to ignore the Law and the Prophets. As Paul said, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16)

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
It would seem to me, that if you want to know Jesus, and understand Jesus more than ever before, so long as Jesus exists and can communicate with you, you can do such a thing. Arguably, believing or disbelieving the Bible would have little to nothing to do with this. Unless Jesus brought up the Bible, and wanted to use it with you. Also, arguably, being a "Christian" might have little to nothing to do with whether or not you personally know Jesus and could become like one of Jesus' disciples.

If you are going to rely on what was written about Jesus, or what others say about Jesus, and not on Jesus directly ... then I'm not sure what that would be called. Probably some form of Christian or Christianity, although other religious traditions include Jesus in their tradition as well obviously. I don't see how you could really know about Jesus otherwise apart from someone telling you in such a context. This may involve referencing books, obviously. I would think if you wanted to know as much about Jesus as possible from this method, you would probably reference as much material as you could. Which opens up a LOT of reading, obviously even outside of a "Christian umbrella".

If you wanted to combine all of it ... if you were able to know Jesus personally as well as reference others and other materials, I would think Jesus Himself may be able to tell you what is what concerning what to believe or disbelieve about what was said in books. However I suppose you could still choose to believe a variety of things, even if told otherwise.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Technically providing you believed in Jesus Christ and wished to follow life according to His guidance, but looked at the Bible as perhaps more of a cultural reading of Christianity at the time and not a rule book of life, you could argue that you are in fact a Christian. In fact I am pretty sure that there is more than one school of Christian thought that almost directly states that it is a believe in Jesus Christ, not a belief in the Bible itself, which makes a Christian a Christian.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, you cannot be a Christian and reject the Old Testament. You would be guilty of a heresy which was condemned as far back as the second century, and you would have to contend with the awkward fact that Jesus certainly regarded the Old Testament as authoritative.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since I love Jesus and would like to follow him, I will decide how I want to do so amongst all the denominational choices I have. Look at the mormons, they even have another book. And look at other protestants who have taken nine books back out of the original bible. I am not interested in disagreements amongst denominations. I cannot see why I cannot be a Christian just as I am.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So they called it right over there?
Not in the least. If you recall I came in defending Christianity but by no means adhering to it. I only defended it because nobody else would. And what I saw was a hate group. And I hate hate groups. To be athiest does not mean you have to hate. Hate is always wrong no matter your point of view.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What I love about Jesus is not that he died for us. I love Jesus because of the pillar of morality that was laid down by him. I love Jesus because he said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." To me that means that means that by whatever standard I judge the world, I must also judge myself. That rings so true within me.

Reactions: paulhubert
Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
What I love about Jesus is not that he died for us. I love Jesus because of the pillar of morality that was laid down by him. I love Jesus because he said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." To me that means that means that by whatever standard I judge the world, I must also judge myself. That rings so true within me.

Are you quite sure you do not belong to this group:

http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/

Look at the mormons, they even have another book. And look at other protestants who have taken nine books back out of the original bible. I am not interested in disagreements amongst denominations. I cannot see why I cannot be a Christian just as I am.

For the record, there are seven books in the Catholic and Orthodox Bible which are not in the Protestant Bible, and the Mormons are so far off the Richter scale it is just not true.

Upvote 0

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you quite sure you do not belong to this group:

http://www.atheists-for-jesus.com/

For the record, there are seven books in the Catholic and Orthodox Bible which are not in the Protestant Bible, and the Mormons are so far off the Richter scale it is just not true.
No I am not familiar with them but it certainly seems I should become so. Is the "Social Gospel" ever discussed here and if so, how might I contact these people.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Since I love Jesus and would like to follow him, I will decide how I want to do so amongst all the denominational choices I have. Look at the mormons, they even have another book. And look at other protestants who have taken nine books back out of the original bible. I am not interested in disagreements amongst denominations. I cannot see why I cannot be a Christian just as I am.
The only thing that actually makes someone a Christian is if they have repented and are born again by the Spirit of God, transferring from death to life; alive to God in Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Givemeareason

May 21, 2015
✟16,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only thing that actually makes someone a Christian is if they have repented and are born again by the Spirit of God, transferring from death to life; alive to God in Christ.
Chris·tian

ˈkrisCHən/

adjective

of, relating to, or professing Christianity or its teachings.

"the Christian Church"

noun

a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
Chris·tian

ˈkrisCHən/

adjective

of, relating to, or professing Christianity or its teachings.

"the Christian Church"

noun

a person who has received Christian baptism or is a believer in Jesus Christ and his teachings.
I don't know where you got this definition, but it is not biblical.

Upvote 0

Kirsten

May 7, 2004
✟1,267.00
Faith
Christian
And that is the point of this thread.
If you reject the Word of God, you will believe any old thing. Many people make up their own rules of Christianity, so you may as well do the same. Don't be surprised, however, if you do not repent and are born again, Jesus does not receive you into His kingdom. He wasn't just a cool guy, He is God Incarnate.

Upvote 0