There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cool. Are there any places near you that are said to be haunted?

I wrote about a couple of my local legends on another forum.

There's also the legend of the haunted oak tree that "seven McFaddens were hung from". Well, seven McFaddens were, in fact, hung. But not from the same tree. Unless--as probably happened--tree is a poetical rendering for the gallows and the story's gotten twisted over the years.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sorry to barge in, but this has caught my attention. The Bible tells us that in death we go to sleep until Christ returns. Scripture is also clear that demons play a very real part in this world, possessing the living and wandering the earth. If the dead sleep, then the spirits people associate with the ghosts of ones who have passed are in fact demons who have taken their forms. Ghost stories are a trick of the devil to hide demon encounters. "And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?" Isaiah 8:19
Necromancy is defined as the practice of communicating with the dead. For man to encourage, participate in or condone ghost activity, I think, is wrong.
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:" Exodus 20:4

Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to barge in, but this has caught my attention. The Bible tells us that in death we go to sleep until Christ returns. Scripture is also clear that demons play a very real part in this world, possessing the living and wandering the earth. If the dead sleep, then the spirits people associate with the ghosts of ones who have passed are in fact demons who have taken their forms. Ghost stories are a trick of the devil to hide demon encounters. "And when they say to you, “Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter,” should not a people inquire of their God? Should they inquire of the dead on behalf of the living?" Isaiah 8:19
Necromancy is defined as the practice of communicating with the dead. For man to encourage, participate in or condone ghost activity, I think, is wrong.
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:" Exodus 20:4
Ummm what does this have to do with writing ghost stories? because they can be based on real life but for reading wise they can be fictional also. Not trying to be rude just asking.

I do not believe personally that all ghosts are demons. I and many others believe that they may be the souls in Purgatory or those of loved ones that come and comfort us in times of need. I for one know my grandfather has visited me before and my father asked him to watch over me.

Upvote 0

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

What about A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens?

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ummm what does this have to do with writing ghost stories? because they can be based on real life but for reading wise they can be fictional also. Not trying to be rude just asking.

I do not believe personally that all ghosts are demons. I and many others believe that they may be the souls in Purgatory or those of loved ones that come and comfort us in times of need. I for one know my grandfather has visited me before and my father asked him to watch over me.
The Bible tells us that when people die the soul is taken from this Earth. There is debate as to whether the soul sleeps or is taken to a temporary Heaven or Hell, but the dead do not inhabit the Earth (Luke 23:24, 2 Corinthians 5:6)

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Julie.S

Jan 19, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟21,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Bible tells us that when people die the soul is taken from this Earth. There is debate as to whether the soul sleeps or is taken to a temporary Heaven or Hell, but the dead do not inhabit the Earth (Luke 23:24, 2 Corinthians 5:6)
I never said they inhabit it but that they could possibly visit. I know people go to Heaven or Hell already thanks. I know what I have seen with my own eyes.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure how to even approach this. Pray on it. God has the answers, not me.:)

In your comment you mentioned that ghost stories are a trick of the devil. I'm kinda bit confused. What's wrong with writing something about the Unknown? What about things like Bigfoot?

Last edited:
Reactions: Julie.S
Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
In your comment you mentioned that ghost stories are a trick of the devil. I'm kinda bit confused. What's wrong with writing something about the Unknown? What about things like Bigfoot?
I didn't think you were being rude, and I hope you don't think that was my intent either. My concern is that scripture is clear that things involving ghosts, magic and things of that nature are not of God. I was saying pray about it because I don't know how to relate my own thoughts about the topic without coming across as condescending. Scripture is quite clear, however, and because our God is a living God I know that he can guide us if we ask him to.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I didn't think you were being rude, and I hope you don't think that was my intent either. My concern is that scripture is clear that things involving ghosts, magic and things of that nature are not of God. I was saying pray about it because I don't know how to relate my own thoughts about the topic without coming across as condescending. Scripture is quite clear, however, and because our God is a living God I know that he can guide us if we ask him to.

Ok, I understand.

Reactions: Julie.S
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm about to sound like a hypocrite because my answer is complicated.

I have enjoyed ghost stories for the fact that they involve a mystery or curiosity, especially the more mild ones meant for kids or from previous decades that weren't as gruesome or violent as they are now. I have experienced things that seemed like it could be a ghost and could tell you stories about what I have experienced or witnessed and also some that family members and friends have as well. However, I don't believe that ghost in the sense that we are talking about are real. I believe like Edward Beatrice believes.

As far as writing fiction about what culturally the population believes ghosts are, the visiting, wandering, or lost souls of dead people, I don't know. I think if it is presented as fiction for the sole purpose of entertainment, and the audience realizes that it is not real, then it may or may not be OK. But to present it in a way that makes it seem like it could be reality or other stories like that could be true, then that is dangerous because it can lead others to believe something false and potentially spiritually dangerous.

I do LOVE stories that are in the style of Scooby Doo. Fakes, trying to scare people to hide a truth or frighten them away from something that is being protected. In the end it is always revealed that the "ghost" or "monster" is really just an elaborate trick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm about to sound like a hypocrite because my answer is complicated.

I have enjoyed ghost stories for the fact that they involve a mystery or curiosity, especially the more mild ones meant for kids or from previous decades that weren't as gruesome or violent as they are now. I have experienced things that seemed like it could be a ghost and could tell you stories about what I have experienced or witnessed and also some that family members and friends have as well. However, I don't believe that ghost in the sense that we are talking about are real. I believe like Edward Beatrice believes.

As far as writing fiction about what culturally the population believes ghosts are, the visiting, wandering, or lost souls of dead people, I don't know. I think if it is presented as fiction for the sole purpose of entertainment, and the audience realizes that it is not real, then it may or may not be OK. But to present it in a way that makes it seem like it could be reality or other stories like that could be true, then that is dangerous because it can lead others to believe something false and potentially spiritually dangerous.

I do LOVE stories that are in the style of Scooby Doo. Fakes, trying to scare people to hide a truth or frighten them away from something that is being protected. In the end it is always revealed that the "ghost" or "monster" is really just an elaborate trick.

Which ghost stories do you like? My favourites are The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, The Vanishing Hitchhiker and A Christmas Carol.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Mostly I like "Goosebumps" and other works by R. L. Stein, and "Scooby-Doo." LOL I like "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "A Christmas Carol." I also enjoy "It's a Wonderful Life." I like some of Edgar Allen Poe's works, and but I get creeped out by much of it.

I like the "Amityville Horror" and "Event Horizon," but those are "ghosts" who are actually the tricks of demons to drive people to harm themselves or others. I do believe that demons disguise themselves as ghosts or other supernatural beings to frighten people, coerse them, and to bring about doubt.

For me when I read or watch the more disturbing ones its not that I'm enjoying it so much as caught in a state of not being able to look away from a train wreck. It's horrible, but I can't stop. My son loves horror and ghosts stories. He likes to talk me into watching with him.

The thing that draws me to ghost stories is the mysteries or the back stories that are later revealed.

Incidentally, I am working on a novel which will be the beginning of a series hopefully. In this first book there is a situation in which some of the characters think there is a ghost but a logical explanation is found.

I used to watch Ghost Hunters, and found it interesting that no tangible evidence was ever seen or found, but some good alternative explanations were.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I can't remember the name of the story or the author, but there was something we read in high school about a doctor who was driving down a foggy road and came along two soliders who were walking on foot. One was wounded. He "helped" the wounded solider, and notice that the wound was not from current amunition that was used at the time, but something that was from and older kind of gun. Later they disappeared. ...wish I could remember.

There is also "The Monkey's Paw"

Upvote 0

Winter_Rose

Feb 7, 2016
United Kingdom
✟21,473.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Mostly I like "Goosebumps" and other works by R. L. Stein, and "Scooby-Doo." LOL I like "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "A Christmas Carol." I also enjoy "It's a Wonderful Life." I like some of Edgar Allen Poe's works, and but I get creeped out by much of it.

I like the "Amityville Horror" and "Event Horizon," but those are "ghosts" who are actually the tricks of demons to drive people to harm themselves or others. I do believe that demons disguise themselves as ghosts or other supernatural beings to frighten people, coerse them, and to bring about doubt.

For me when I read or watch the more disturbing ones its not that I'm enjoying it so much as caught in a state of not being able to look away from a train wreck. It's horrible, but I can't stop. My son loves horror and ghosts stories. He likes to talk me into watching with him.

The thing that draws me to ghost stories is the mysteries or the back stories that are later revealed.

Incidentally, I am working on a novel which will be the beginning of a series hopefully. In this first book there is a situation in which some of the characters think there is a ghost but a logical explanation is found.

I used to watch Ghost Hunters, and found it interesting that no tangible evidence was ever seen or found, but some good alternative explanations were.

Hope the novel goes well. I'm writing one that's a mixture of a mystery, romance and includes a headless motorcyclist who is looking for his long lost sweetheart.

Upvote 0