• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Calvinism and its Secret Universalism

Discussion in 'Debate with a Calvinist' started by dóxatotheó, Jun 9, 2021 at 2:36 PM.

1. dóxatotheó

dóxatotheó Orthodox Church Familia Supporter

+175
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Correct I am debating a Calvinist

2. dóxatotheó

+175
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Not relevant to what you literally quoted because I agree
    define this more

3. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,130
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    There is no interference in the choosing according to one's changed disposition.

4. dóxatotheó

+175
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Explain more for me

5. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,130
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    "he that chooses is held responsible"

A pivot on your "choose."

The only choice that makes a difference is faith in the person and work of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sin and right standing with God's justice.

6. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+1,130
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    The usual objection: to "free will" being the object of "interference."

7. dóxatotheó

+175
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Don't know much on this surface yet and I will admit ignorance.

8. dóxatotheó

+175
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I agree and good discussion I will study more let God prevail God bless

9. renniks

renniks Well-Known Member

+2,558
    Christian
    Married
    You said God didn't try to save them. Which is wrong, first off. And if he did save them I against their will, that's by force.

10. Thuycidides

Thuycidides New Member

+8
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    God choosing certain people isn't love and its him being partially

God loves all men and would have all men saved, and Jesus' blood is propitiation for the sins of the whole world, But:

He only chooses those in Christ Jesus for His personally born children.

11. Hammster

Hammster Willy and the Poorboys are playing. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,172
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Okay. And?

12. Neostarwcc

Neostarwcc We are saved purely by the work and grace of God. Supporter

+2,935
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Where? When Is the last time you've seen a Calvinist say everybody will be saved? It's not true. It's never been true and I'm extremely against universalism because it's plain not true and taught nowhere in the Bible. Jesus never taught it, the Prophets never taught it, its not true. They taught the doctrine of Election but Election is not applied to everyone because scripture teaches over and over again that God did not elect everyone.

Not everyone will be saved. There will be lost people or we would be denying the book of Revelation as well. Just, plain not true.

13. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+7,110
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I understand. I still like his argument.

14. renniks

+2,558
    Christian
    Married
    And that's not love.

15. Hammster

Hammster Willy and the Poorboys are playing. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+21,172
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Saving someone from eternal torture is love, wouldn’t you say?

16. renniks

+2,558
    Christian
    Married
    Sure. And that offer has been extended to all.

17. Hammster

+21,172
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And saving them all would not be forcing all to love Him.

18. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,816
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    You are right --not news to me. And thanks for chiming in. I was hoping to draw the reasoning out of him. I wanted him to tell me what he meant by free will, and the logical implications were to follow.

19. Jay Sea

Jay Sea ................ Ke ĉiuj vivu

+89
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    The Catholic Church is in a sense Universalist in the teaching on baptism: Baptism of desire etc.
    In LOve
    Jay Sea

20. John Mullally

John Mullally Well-Known Member

+183
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    Why would Jesus command his followers to love our neighbors as ourselves, if God himself does not love our neighbors?

Matthew 5:43You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’r and ‘Hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,s 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Do not even tax collectors do the same? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even Gentiles do the same? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.​

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021 at 1:39 AM