• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Calvinism and Abortion

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Zachm531, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Zachm531

Zachm531 Member

+106
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    *Edit*: This post is not meant to accuse or insult calvinists, this is just a question I had. I am also not saying all calvinists are west-borrow. I attend a reformed church myself! Please stop being so sensitive!

As I was thinking on total depravity and the west-borrow baptist church(calvinist extremists), I had this thought about calvinism taken to its logical end. What are your thoughts on this?

A calvinist would say that God hates sin and the sinner(hence Limited Atonement):

“The LORD tests the righteous, But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭11:5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

And we glorify God in His holiness and judgement of sin. So lets take this to its logical extreme:

“Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭51:5‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

So how does a calvinist take issue with abortion? If an infant has sinful nature at conception, and dies in the womb, shouldnt the calvinist glorify God for punishing the sinner? Shouldnt calvinists glorify abortion because God is judging sinners?

""We may rest assured that God would never have suffered any infants to be slain except those who were already damned and predestined for eternal death." - John Calvin, Harmony of the Law, Vol 2, "Judicial Supplements", Comments on Deut ch 13.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I'm a Calvinist in the first 3 points of Dort. All including infants were judged guilty of sin in Adam. But the longer we live the more wrath we store up. So and early death is better than death in old age where we accumulate more sin to pay for.

But elect infants were justified by Christ's death and go to heaven which is as good as it gets. And miss the perils of life on earth. The same is true if they remain until old age.

3. Ezana

Ezana Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά

+152
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Are you saying that abortion only ever happens because God actively wills it as a condemnation of infantile sinfulness?

I'm not a Calvinist, but I'm curious to hear responses to my question from both the OP and any Calvinist who'd care to weigh in.

4. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Part of God's judgement is worse than that. People under judgement ate their young in the siege of Jerusalem and in some Old Testament situations.

5. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,752
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Perhaps such a person should think it wise to abort EVERYBODY?

6. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    We are not to kill. Wicked people kill their young as part of the judgement in scripture.

7. chevyontheriver

+9,752
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    So, maybe I'm not hearing you right but would it really be best to abort everybody then? My earlier post was a bit facetious but you got me wondering.

8. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It is murder. So no.

9. chevyontheriver

+9,752
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    There are sufficient wicked people to do it so neither you nor I would have to do it or approve of it. But then what is the penalty for doing it or approving of it?

10. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What does the bible say about unrepentant murder? Any examples? How about repentant murder?

11. Isilwen

Isilwen Well-Known Member

+1,534
    United States
    Episcopalian
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    So glad that I don't believe in Calvinism after reading this thread!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. chevyontheriver

+9,752
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    If they were not saved then it's just more sins piled on top. If they were saved, it's OK.

13. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    How do you deal with these issues?

14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+5,903
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Using the same logic, would you also say that Calvinists should be in favor of murder and genocide?

15. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    David killed Uriah and received forgiveness. But endured extreme repercussions in his family because of it.

16. Isilwen

Isilwen Well-Known Member

+1,534
    United States
    Episcopalian
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I believe in choice when it comes to abortions. Abortion is a no no for me and whomever I am with, but I allow for choice. But, the thing where the longer you live the more wrath you store up stuff, yeah, no!

That makes repentance of no effect and therefore Jesus died for nothing!

17. Ezana

Ezana Ιησούς Χριστός Νικά

+152
    Canada
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Misses the point of my question. Is every single abortion a specific act of the will of God to condemn each baby to death for their sinfulness?

18. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    God would not be good if he did not punish all with death. Early death is better than dying in old age. But the upside is, Christ died in the place of those God chose to save, including infants.

19. Dave L

+5,277
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Capone and Dillinger had aproval too.

20. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hide The Pain

+5,903
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    To answer the OP, here is how a Calvinist would take issue with abortion. I am a Calvinist, by the way. And I do take issue with abortion.

1. The Bible teaches that murder is wrong.
    2. Abortion is murder.
    3. Therefore abortion is wrong.

It's very simple. We take issue with it in the same way that all other Christians would take issue with it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List