Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
So how does a calvinist take issue with abortion? If an infant has sinful nature at conception, and dies in the womb, shouldnt the calvinist glorify God for punishing the sinner? Shouldnt calvinists glorify abortion because God is judging sinners?

This is from the Westminster Confession, a standard of Calvinist doctrine:

Elect infants, dying in infancy, are regenerated, and saved by Christ through the Spirit, who worketh when, and where, and how He pleaseth: so also, are all other elect persons who are uncapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word.
The Westminster Confession of Faith (1647) by Westminster Divines

This is Romans 9:11. -

For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth.

God's elect are God's elect from the moment of conception, before they've done anything good or evil, just as they've been God's elect from before the foundation of the world.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let's go one further ... David said in the scripture that He was going to be with his unborn son in heaven, unless you believe that the man after God's own heart went to hell. (The man who God said his only sins pertained to Uriah the Hittite. Took his wife and got him killed. Yes, he numbered the people, but if you look at God's command with regards to that issue, it was the people's responsibility to pay. Yes, he felt guilty ... but was it sin? No. According to God anyway.)

But then, I'm a Calvaminian. What do I know. And if all the unborn go to heaven, why not promote non-Christian abortion? It's far easier than trying to convert pagans to the faith.

Shall we continue to sin that grace may abound? Shall we promote it? Promote sin and we can send millions to heaven ... and the answer to that previous question is, "May it never be!"

Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of wickedness. Instead even expose them.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
One Calvinist I knew personally told me that aborted babies go to hell. I definitely don’t agree with that false line of thinking.

Being a so-called Calvinist doesn't prove anyone's salvation. Only the truly saved are Christians and not every person who calls himself a Christian actually is one. The Bible doesn't say, "Aborted babies go to hell." Should we just make that up?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello Zach, you are talking about the Westboro BAPTIST church, yes? You're Baptist and they are Baptist. Is the Baptist faith practiced at the Westboro Baptist church the logical end for any/all who hold to the Baptist faith :scratch:

Quite frankly, I don't believe that the Westboro Baptist church is Christian, much less Calvinist or Baptist, no matter what their claim may be.

"Hence Limited Atonement" :scratch: If Calvinism taught that the atonement is limited to those who are righteous (as you are insinuating), then there would be no atonement, because EVERYONE is a sinner.

The Reformed doctrine of Limited Atonement does not teach what you seem to believe that it does, not even close. If you have any interest in learning what it actually teaches, this should do the trick:

Where does the Bible tell us to glorify God by "punishing sinners" :scratch:

That said, the reprobate will be judged on the basis of his/her deeds and thoughts, NOT on the basis of their "nature".

Romans 2
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
14 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law,
15 since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.
16 This will take place on the day when God will judge men’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

--David
p.s. - John Calvin taught that all who die as either pre-born babies or as infants are Heaven-bound, unlike a number of his free will contemporaries (like Servetus) who taught that anyone, of any age, who had not come to a personal, saving faith in Christ before they died, were bound for Judgment at the Great White Throne, and eternity in the Lake of Fire (even if they died in the womb or as infant/toddlers).

Thank you so much!

• Friendly
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0