City in Michigan Settles 6-Figure Religious Freedom Case with Catholic Farmer Who Refused to Host Gay Weddings

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
article said:
An effort to ban a Catholic farmer from a farmers market because he would not host same-sex weddings on his property backfired big time for East Lansing, Michigan.

In a settlement released Friday, U.S. District Court Judge Paul Mahoney ruled that Stephen Tennes, who owns Country Mill Farms in Charlotte, Michigan, just outside East Lansing, could collect $42,000 in damages and $783,800 in legal fees after winning his six-year court battle, according to a settlement.

Given city costs of more than $292,000 through October for its defense in the case, the full bill for East Lansing will top $1.1 million, according to the Lansing State Journal.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our (Michigan) governor is super liberal. I'm not surprised they tried to block the farm. But, glad to hear that the farm was ultimately vindicated.
Yeah, Stretchin' Gretchen is a joke. She's probably the most liberal governor in the country right after Gavin Newsom. :mad: I didn't vote for her. And I hope she gets tossed out in the next election. Of course, the one we had before her (Jenny Granholm) was just as bad.

• Agree
Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, Stretchin' Gretchen is a joke. She's probably the most liberal governor in the country right after Gavin Newsom. :mad: I didn't vote for her. And I hope she gets tossed out in the next election. Of course, the one we had before her (Jenny Granholm) was just as bad.
I agree with you, but in a tie for worst with Gretchen is Engler. Heartless man.

Reactions: Wolseley
Upvote 0