C. S. Lewis, a writer of pagan myths, magic and witchcraft?

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm reasonably familiar with the sources, or at least the fact of the sources.

I just don't think that that material is somehow poisoned from its non-Christian origin. The Cross, or at least a cross (+), was widely used before it had any meaning for Christians, and that's ok with most Christians I have ever met. The language we are writing these posts in is full of vocabulary from ancient pagan languages. English itself was a language of pagan people's early on and into the written period. And yet, it's widely used in evangelism and worship.

So do you disapprove of the study of all written works that are not the Bible?

And look at that which Jesus was crucified upon. A pagan symbol. Think that there is a reason for that happening? You think the devil had a hand in the killing of Jesus and was trying to demonstrate his power and control because he had yet to realize that he had just lost the war through what he had done? Or was he just an innocent bystander in all those goings on? Does the symbology have meaning? Did Jesus victory over the devil and death while hanging on a pagan symbol show something to us? Or do you think all the events that took place at Jesus' death are just happenstance and without deep spiritual meaning as far as you're concerned? To me all of it is worthy of thought and inspection. Why was a pagan power the tool used to execute Jesus? Think there is any meaning in that?

Every language on earth has been used for evil as we live in a world of sin. Where are we going to find one without evil origins or never used in the commission of evil deeds? Some things are necessary in a world of sin. We have to communicate. We don't have to read and study literature that teaches pagan symbology. To equate the two is a serious logical fallacy.

The mixture of truth and error is a serious problem. Look at our society today. We have a war going on it. On one side we have the remnants of God's morality and standards. On the other side we have every kind of moral perversion conceivable. How did we get to this point in our society and world where this is possible? Did all this just suddenly happen, or has it come about in small steps in which society accepted small doses of error until now we are standing on the brink of national disaster? The family has been under attack for a long time now as it is the bulwark against the corruption of society's morality. It's been going on so long that societal memory of the family is fundamentally changed. Seventy years ago there were very few kids born out of wedlock. Today we have something that wasn't even conceivable 100 years ago as to the attitudes towards sex, family, morality, etc... have so changed our thinking and moved our nation to the point so it's a yawn that another kid was born out of wedlock and will grow up in something God never designed to happen.

How did we reach this point? Do you think the devil had a hand in it, and has convinced us by getting us to accept evil that we didn't recognize as evil because of the ways the evil was presented to us? Only a mixture of good and evil can change society as thoroughly as it has been changed. What do you think would have happened 100 years ago if homosexuals, transgender people, and proud pedophiles had marched in the streets and demanded that they be accepted as normal? Do you think the average citizen then would have just shrugged his shoulders and gone on about his business? Or do you think there would have been a big time uproar far exceeding what is going on right now? Do you think 1/2 of our society back then would have thought abortion, and all these sexual perversions, were a good idea for a political platform? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

archer75

Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟253,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Have you answered all the questions I asked you?
This risks turning into debate. Would you like to continue this topic somewhere debate is allowed, like St. Justin Martyr on TAW?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟96,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Debate is not allowed on this part of CF. Would you like me to start a thread where debate is allowed so we can discuss further?
My CF account is pretty limited. I have tried posting in other areas of CF, as I found some interesting topics I wanted to contribute to, and have been denied permission to post all but one time, and it was not an area in which I would think debate is allowed as it was an advice forum. So, I've been a member here since the early 2000s and have never debated any place here other than this forum. I just gave up looking for other places to post here as I've been denied posting privileges in so many areas.

edit: for a while I was even denied posting privileges here.

I'd be open to just discussing by PM if you're amenable to that.

• Agree
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0