Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This Forum is a place for respectful discussion and debate of political issues, by Roman Catholics, in the context of the Roman Catholic Faith.

His growing support exposes the depths of the party’s talent crisis

If America’s political circus ever offers a break from White House jostling, it’s during the first year of a President’s first term. Not so in 2021. On the Republican side, the great Trump will-he-won’t-he question has sensationalised what normally would have been a preliminary discussion about 2024. Meanwhile, Joe Biden’s age, mental fugues and dire approval ratings have Democrats — and perhaps the President himself — wondering whether he is up to a second term. Throw in the fact that Kamala Harris is underperforming the low bar set by her boss, and the question of who might be fit to run in his place is unusually open.

So it is that Pete Buttigieg — mayor of South Bend, Indiana, turned surprisingly competitive, first openly gay presidential candidate, turned transportation secretary — finds himself a popular answer to Washington’s favourite guessing game.

But is Buttigieg 2024 really the answer?

Continued below.
Buttigieg won't save the Democrats

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This Forum is a place for respectful discussion and debate of political issues, by Roman Catholics, in the context of the Roman Catholic Faith.

His growing support exposes the depths of the party’s talent crisis

If America’s political circus ever offers a break from White House jostling, it’s during the first year of a President’s first term. Not so in 2021. On the Republican side, the great Trump will-he-won’t-he question has sensationalised what normally would have been a preliminary discussion about 2024. Meanwhile, Joe Biden’s age, mental fugues and dire approval ratings have Democrats — and perhaps the President himself — wondering whether he is up to a second term. Throw in the fact that Kamala Harris is underperforming the low bar set by her boss, and the question of who might be fit to run in his place is unusually open.

So it is that Pete Buttigieg — mayor of South Bend, Indiana, turned surprisingly competitive, first openly gay presidential candidate, turned transportation secretary — finds himself a popular answer to Washington’s favourite guessing game.

But is Buttigieg 2024 really the answer?

Continued below.
Buttigieg won't save the Democrats
Ha!

It's a war in the Party between the feminists and Blacks, represented by Harris, and the LGBTQ++++, represented by Buttigieg. Who wins determines the future of the Party. It doesn't matter the quality of the standard bearer, just what they represent in identity politics. Harris was plenty woke but is showing herself not popular enough for the Party faithful. Buttigieg is also plenty woke, and for now that is enough as long as his wing of the Party is still in ascendency. Who cares if he can really govern. I think everyone knows the country is going down the tubes and is ungovernable. At least they can have the LGBTQ++++ banner held high as we go down in flames. Biden's mental fugues, such a kind way of putting it for the at least for the day commander in chief.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
From what I've seen, his poll numbers aren't much better than Biden or Harris. If this is all they've got, then 2022/2024 looks very red right now.

Not to mention that many Dems are retiring (or not running) from Congress ahead of what is likely to be a massive 'red wave' in 2022.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Not to mention that many Dems are retiring (or not running) from Congress ahead of what is likely to be a massive 'red wave' in 2022.

I just saw something a few minutes ago about the possibility of Hillary running again, like she's gearing up for 2024 for one more shot. It's hearsay, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true. As far as I'm concerned though, that ship sailed long ago.

Upvote 0