Bullinger and Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

In Christ Forever

AV1611 said:
Today I have bought Bullinger's Commentary on Revelation. Has anyone read it? What did you think? Any helpful advice hints?
I hope to have my own commmentary out the beginning of next year. I believe most will be surprised but some will not. Revalation has been a dark mystery for centuries with hundreds of commentaries on it [I never read them myself]. So what seperates Bullinger's from all the rest? God bless.

1 corin 2:13 These things we also speak, not in words which man's wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know [them,] because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is [rightly] judged by no one. 16 For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
TheScottsMen said:
Never read it. You will have to tell us how it was
Well I read the intoduction last night...all 100 plus pages of it. Very interesting, he seems to place Revelation as wholly Jewish and that the churches mentioned in the first three chapters are not stages of the Body Church but rather retrospective and prospective stages of Israel. I must say that it is a far more convincing argument than most.

Upvote 0

RVincent

Onions make me gassy.
Dec 16, 2003
Tempe, AZ
✟1,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
I like Bullinger. I don't agree with everything he says, but he was a fantastic Christian scholar, and I reference his work quite frequently. I have The Companion Bible, by him, which includes 198 Appendixes. Most of these appendixes can be found online.

http://www.therain.org/appendixes/

More books Online:

The Witness of the Stars
Ten Sermons on the Second Advent
Number in Scripture
The Apocalypse
How to Enjoy the Bible
More books by Bullinger Online

ewbullin.jpg

"The Root of all the evils which abound in the spiritual sphere at the present day lies in the fact that the Word and the words of God are not fed upon, digested, and assimilated, as they ought to be.

If we ask the question, "Why is this the case?" the answer is, The Bible is not enjoyed because the Bible is not understood. The methods and rules by which alone such an understanding may be gained are not known or followed; hence the Bible is a neglected book."​

Upvote 0
I

In Christ Forever

Well I read the intoduction last night...all 100 plus pages of it. Very interesting, he seems to place Revelation as wholly Jewish and that the churches mentioned in the first three chapters are not stages of the Body Church but rather retrospective and prospective stages of Israel. I must say that it is a far more convincing argument than most.

That is because revelation concerns Israel and Jerusalem only, back in the first century, not this present world.

Revelation 11:1 Then I was given a reed like a measuring rod. And the angel stood, saying, "Rise and measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship there............19 Then the temple of God was opened in heaven, and the ark of His covenant was seen in His temple. And there were lightnings, noises, thunderings, an earthquake, and great hail.

revela 18:5 "For her sins have reached to heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities. 6 "Render to her just as she rendered to you, and repay her double according to her works; in the cup which she has mixed, mix double for her.23 "The light of a lamp shall not shine in you anymore, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall not be heard in you anymore.

Jeremiah 16:9 For thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: "Behold, I will cause to cease from this place, before your eyes and in your days, the voice of mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride. 16 " Behold, I will send for many fishermen," says the LORD, "and they shall fish them; and afterward I will send for many hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain and every hill, and out of the holes of the rocks. 17 "For My eyes [are] on all their ways; they are not hidden from My face, nor is their iniquity hidden from My eyes. 18 "And first I willrepay double for their iniquity and their sin, because they have defiled My land; they have filled My inheritance with the carcasses of their detestable and abominable idols."

Jeremiah 17:1 "The sin of Judah [is] written with a pen of iron; With the point of a diamond [it is] engraved On the tablet of their heart, And on the horns of your altars, 2 While their children remember Their altars and their wooden images By the green trees on the high hills. 3O My mountain in the field, I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, [And] your high places of sin within all your borders.3 O My mountain in the field, I will give as plunder your wealth, all your treasures, [And] your high places of sin within all your borders. 4 And you, even yourself, Shall let go of your heritage which I gave you; And I will cause you to serve your enemies In the land which you do not know; For you have kindled a fire in My anger [which] shall burn forever."

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,753,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In Christ Forever said:
That is because revelation concerns Israel and Jerusalem only, back in the first century, not this present world.

That is your opinion but the majority of Christianity disagrees with you.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,960.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
AV1611 said:

I use a Bullinger Bible and have followed the notes while reading Revelations, interesting notes...I suggest anyone who is interested in theology give it a try.

Upvote 0

Dispy

Veteran
Jan 16, 2004
South Dakota
✟4,680.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Christ Forever said:

FreeinChrist said:
[/size][/font][/b]
That is your opinion but the majority of Christianity disagrees with you.

The majority in Christianity believe that chapters 1-4, of the book of the Revelation, are written to the Church, the Body of Christ.

Based on 1:11, and 19,20 alone, I do not understand how they can believe that.
1:1"Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches WHICH ARE IN ASIA." The Church, the Body of Christ is universal.

1:19 "Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which sall be hereafter;
20 The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."

One NEVER finds the stars, candlesticks or angels connected to the Body of Christ, but ALWAYS connected to Israel.

Many in Christiananity today believe that we are living in "the last days" and prophesy is being fulfilled today. This I cannot believe because the Church, the Body of Christ, and this dispensastion of grace, cannot be found in prophesy. They were "...kept secret since the world began." However, I do believe that many things that are happening today are leading to the fulfillment of prophesy.

IMHO Bullinger is an excellent dispensatinal Bible scholar. I do believe that he is an Acts 28:28 dispensationalist, and being I am an Acts 9/mid-Acts dispy, there are areas where we disagree. However, I do thank God for men like him who have helped rediscover dispensational truths.

God Bless.
Live Well, Laugh Often and Love the Lord!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.