Bradley Manning Nominated For Nobel Peace Prize

Z

ZephyrWiccan

Máiread Corrigan Maguire is an Irish activist who helped form an organization dedicated to ending the sectarian strife in that country. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1976.

She has written an op-ed explaining why she nominated Bradley Manning for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bradley Manning should win the Nobel Peace Prize | Mairead Corrigan-Maguire | Comment is free | theguardian.com

Around the world, Manning is hailed as a peacemaker and a hero. His nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize is a reflection of this. Yet at his home in America, Manning stands trial for charges of espionage and "aiding the enemy". This should not be considered a refutation of his candidacy – rather, he is in good company. Burmese politician Aung San Suu Kyi and Chinese writer Liu Xiaobo were each awarded the prize in recent years while imprisoned by their home countries.

I hope he gets it - he very much deserves it.

Z

ZephyrWiccan

How did he weaken the military?
He didn't, and the testimony at the trial confirmed that nothing he did actually damaged the US or its military.

But apparently in the minds of some, revealing a tape of gung-ho cowboy pilots murdering unarmed reporters on the ground and cheering and laughing as they did so, and the subsequent coverup by said folks and their superiors "weakens the military". I'd think it would strengthen it to get rid of psychopath soldiers and people willing to cover up their crimes, but what do I know?

Upvote 0
S

Savior2006

He didn't, and the testimony at the trial confirmed that nothing he did actually damaged the US or its military.

But apparently in the minds of some, revealing a tape of gung-ho cowboy pilots murdering unarmed reporters on the ground and cheering and laughing as they did so, and the subsequent coverup by said folks and their superiors "weakens the military". I'd think it would strengthen it to get rid of psychopath soldiers and people willing to cover up their crimes, but what do I know?

I guess criticizing something that the military did is the same thing has either hating it or weakening it. At least to people who never use logic at all in their posts.:wave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PV4lozgP8

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I feel for Bradley Manning. He made one mistake and he must now suffer his whole life for it. We cannot all say we have made those decisions.

America is waking up to the idea that redemption is a good thing and that we may all need it.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wish I could remember the journalist who commented on this and Snowden's recent leaks by saying that these leaks, when presented to the mainstream media should not threaten national security, as the media should use discretion as to what details they publish to protect national security. Basically he was saying that any damage to national security that was undue, is a result of poor reporting ethics, not the leakers themselves (provided they used a media source to release information to the public).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nilloc

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2007
✟28,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only prize he deserves is a bullet.
"Treason is a charge invented by winners as an excuse for hanging the losers." --fictional Ben Franklin

Or even better, treason is invented by the tyrants as an excuse to blame their enemies.

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Máiread Corrigan Maguire is an Irish activist who helped form an organization dedicated to ending the sectarian strife in that country. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1976.

She has written an op-ed explaining why she nominated Bradley Manning for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Bradley Manning should win the Nobel Peace Prize | Mairead Corrigan-Maguire | Comment is free | theguardian.com

I hope he gets it - he very much deserves it.

I support Manning and I signed the petition at roots action. The Afghan Peace Volunteers support Manning. Supporter Norman Solomon is right when he states, "We badly need whistle-blowers because government leaders do not face the consequences of their actions, including perpetual warfare abroad and assaults on civil liberties at home."

Upvote 0

tolly

Sep 23, 2006
Oregon
✟16,968.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The NPP is no longer has any honor associated with it, in my opinion. If one considers the people who been nominated and receiving it in the recent past, and compares those persons to the recipients before, it is clear that the standards have changed greatly.

Remember when OJ's 'suicide' letter was shown on TV, with all of the spelling and grammatical errors usually associated with third graders? My good friend, and alum of USC, groaned and said, 'my USC degree just lost half of its prestige.'

While I think he exaggerated his point, the same principle can be applied to the NPP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The NPP is no longer has any honor associated with it, in my opinion. If one considers the people who been nominated and receiving it in the recent past, and compares those persons to the recipients before, it is clear that the standards have changed greatly.

Remember when OJ's 'suicide' letter was shown on TV, with all of the spelling and grammatical errors usually associated with third graders? My good friend, and alum of USC, groaned and said, 'my USC degree just lost half of its prestige.'

While I think he exaggerated his point, the same principle can be applied to the NPP.
Yeah, it's pretty sad. But then you need to realize those people don't value the same things we value. Their standards of worth are completely opposite the norm.

Upvote 0

dakine

Aug 1, 2005
Earth
✟353.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. I almost believe the OP is an attempt to troll, but the left loves anyone who serves to weaken the US military.

The US military is out of control as is the US government. Both should be abolished, but that is a different discussion.

As far as Manning, he definitely deserves the nobel peace prize more than our murderer/terrorist president.

Upvote 0