✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:
Is that a Georgia O'Keefe flower painting? (serious question)

Nope (I'm going to answer my own question): it's Helen Frankenthaler.

Anyone notice the transition from light blue into dark indigo, and then back to dark blue -- which to me suggests the colors of a wave; and then from blue into blue-violet which suggests the calmer water of the bay?

It's NOT as easy as it looks to create that effect.

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:
frankenthaler.jpg

It's a nice picture, I like it (although 1.5 Mio is an inflated price, in my mind):thumbsup:

However, if you wonder why the kid didn't know better - look at the US school system!:doh:

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
UberLutheran said:
Nope (I'm going to answer my own question): it's Helen Frankenthaler.

Anyone notice the transition from light blue into dark indigo, and then back to dark blue -- which to me suggests the colors of a wave; and then from blue into blue-violet which suggests the calmer water of the bay?

It's NOT as easy as it looks to create that effect.

I know! I do some oil painting myself and let me tell you, painting is frieking hard. I'm also not so psyched about the hating that has been laid upn this painting.

I think it's a lot like a bunch of people who have never studied engineering taking a quick glance at a bridge and piping in with "what a crappy bridge". There's a lot of impressionist paintings out there and almost none of them are in museums. Why not take this opportunity to read up on her work and try to see for yourself why it's in a museum?

Doctor, cure yourself!

Google, learn me some things!

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I <3 Abraham said:
I know! I do some oil painting myself and let me tell you, painting is frieking hard. I'm also not so psyched about the hating that has been laid upn this painting.
I like paintings that carry a depth of meaning to them.

I think that Dada, for instance, is an ugly form of art as far as aesthetics go. But I appreciate it because it is art with a purpose. It takes a deal of thinking and some work to come up with the metaphors Dada paintings and sculptures call to mind.

Aside from the imagery of a wave, what does the rest of the scenery in the OP's painting represent?

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I <3 Abraham said:

I think it's a lot like a bunch of people who have never studied engineering taking a quick glance at a bridge and piping in with "what a crappy bridge". There's a lot of impressionist paintings out there and almost none of them are in museums. Why not take this opportunity to read up on her work and try to see for yourself why it's in a museum?

Doctor, cure yourself!

Well that was easy and informative. First and foremost, I was wrong, she was an EXpressionist, not an IMpressionist. Second and leftmost she was the first painter to extensively and broadly use a technique called "stain painting". Here's a rundown from here.

She started experimenting with stain painting, where an unstretched and unprimed canvas lying on the floor would be treated with heavily diluted oilt-based paints to be soaked directly into the fabric. She created silky pools of color that, although abstract, evoked images of landscapes. As Whitney Chadwick said of Frankenthaler, "She was not the first artist to stain canvases but she was the firsy to develop a complete formal vocabulary from the technique." Her techniques influenced other artists, especially Kenneth Noland and Morris Louis.

A lot of her stuff is really pretty too.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I <3 Abraham said:

Doctor, cure yourself!

I dont see any one hating the painting (maby you'r reading too much into it). I just see people (including myself) saying it's not worth 1.5 Million.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Scholar in training said:
I like paintings that carry a depth of meaning to them.

I think that Dada, for instance, is an ugly form of art as far as aesthetics go. But I appreciate it because it is art with a purpose. It takes a deal of thinking and some work to come up with the metaphors Dada paintings and sculptures call to mind.

Aside from the imagery of a wave, what does the rest of the scenery in this impressionist painting represent?

Art doesn't have to "be something". In his Critique of Judgment, Kant argued that the purpose of fine art was to create a connection between the artist and viewer, to allow the viewer to recognize that a being much like itself had created the painting. The viewer has a reaction, in your case, you see waves. This is an impression that the artist intended. In order for the artists to influence you in this way, you and she must have the same kinds of impressions of the world around you. To recognize this in anothers work is, in fact, indubitable proof of your own rationality and sanity. The moment of enjoyment is, for Kant, a transcendental moment where the viewer affirms their humanity through the artists skill.

In this way, expressionism is uniquely "artistic".

Upvote 0

Scholar in training

sine ira et studio
Feb 25, 2005
United States
✟15,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I <3 Abraham said:
Art doesn't have to "be something".
Doesn't have to, but I believe that it does make art more meaningful. I know that I connect best to that type of art.

In his Critique of Judgment, Kant argued that the purpose of fine art was to create a connection between the artist and viewer, to allow the viewer to recognize that a being much like itself had created the painting. The viewer has a reaction, in your case, you see waves. This is an impression that the artist intended.
Actually, this painting didn't impress any kind of image upon me. I was going on UberLutheran's evaluation of the painting.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Quantos said:
I dont see any one hating the painting (maby you'r reading too much into it). I just see people (including myself) saying it's not worth 1.5 Million.

No no, I mistyped, not hating it: hating upon it. In the parlance of our times I merely meant to say that folks were criticizing harshly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Scholar in training said:
Doesn't have to, but I believe that it does make art more meaningful. I know that I connect best to that type of art.

Actually, this painting didn't impress any kind of image upon me. I was going on UberLutheran's evaluation of the painting.

What about a still life painting of a bowl of apples? Or a side of beef? Still life often is done as a vehicle for the artists virtuosity because, quite frankly, convincing still life is impossible without tremendous skill. I believe that works that are not pictures of things carry more artistic meaning because they require human input from the viewer to appreciate. But as the saying goes de gustibus non est disputandem.

Upvote 0