✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
  1. Revelation 20:2
    And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
  2. Revelation 20:3
    And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
WHY A THOUSAND YEARS AND NOT FIVE HUNDRED?

your thoughts please

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
    And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
    And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

your thoughts please

It is an indefinite period of time.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is an indefinite period of time.

What leads you to this conclusion?

Is this also an "indefinite period"

Revelation 20:5
But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"that Christ will have a literal, earthly kingdom lasting for 1,000 years at the end of time."

I agree with you on the quote from the writing you quoted, no earthly
reign

Still does not answer the original question

It comes from an ancient Jewish belief in a millennium. A messianic age lasting one thousand years.

• Agree
Reactions: mindfulzen
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The OT uses 1000 to designate "a whole bunch" as when Samson killed 1000 Philistines. O r God owns the cattle on 1000 hills. The Millennium is a Pharisee belief Christ refuted many times by preaching the gospel of the kingdom.

Reactions: jeffweedaman
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It comes from an ancient Jewish belief in a millennium. A messianic age lasting one thousand years.

Is this what you are referring to

Mankind seems to have been given 7 thousand year "days" for history to be completed. From Adam to Abraham was 2,000 years and from Abraham to Christ was 2,000 years. Since the Messianic Age will last for 1,000 years (Revelation 20:6) that leaves 2,000 years for the Church Age to be completed before Jesus returns

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The OT uses 1000 to designate "a whole bunch" as when Samson killed 1000 Philistines. O r God owns the cattle on 1000 hills. The Millennium is a Pharisee belief Christ refuted many times by preaching the gospel of the kingdom.

Are you saying that this verse is refuted
Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

your thoughts please
It is just the way it is, the timeline set, the rules of the game if you will. I ponder a lot, but not this. I have just accepted the 1 000 years as a fact. Man is made in Gods image, people like round numbers, because God likes round numbers. Numbers are just tools to communicate, as letters are, and this timeline. Do not question the ways of communication, just focus on the message. Remember, we are sheep, sheep are dumb, so it must be dumbed down for us to get it. And it is supposed to be for all, not only intellectuals, so it does not outline too many facts and details, because it would limit it to a few then, and the elites. How could the peasants understand it then? Find time to study it? The book would become infinite big, so none could read it. And if all is explained, people would not get faith, but knowledge, so they could not get salvation. It is this way so you can find faith and surrender to God without being convinced intellectually but in your heart. And your heart wins the battle over your mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

New Latin mīllennium : Latin mīlle, thousand; see gheslo- in Indo-European roots + Latin annus, year; see at- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is just the way it is, the timeline set, the rules of the game if you will. I ponder a lot, but not this. I have just accepted the 1 000 years as a fact. Man is made in Gods image, people like round numbers, because God likes round numbers. Numbers are just tools to communicate, as letters are, and this timeline. Do not question the ways of communication, just focus on the message. Remember, we are sheep, sheep are dumb, so it must be dumbed down for us to get it. And it is supposed to be for all, not only intellectuals, so it does not outline too many facts and details, because it would limit it to a few then, and the elites. How could the peasants understand it then? Find time to study it? The book would become infinite big, so none could read it. And if all is explained, people would not get faith, but knowledge, so they could not get salvation. It is this way so you can find faith and surrender to God without being convinced intellectually but in your heart. And your heart wins the battle over your mind.

YET WE ARE TOLD TO SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES
LINE UPON LINE
PRECEPT UPON PRECEPT

Upvote 0

mindfulzen

Aug 4, 2021
south
✟6,349.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
YET WE ARE TOLD TO SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES
LINE UPON LINE
PRECEPT UPON PRECEPT
Yes, search for the meaning in scripture. As I understand it, details do not matter, if you get the meaning from it, and you get faith. You read it to find meaning, not proofread it as a teacher trying to give the writers grade F. It is said that it was mortal men who wrote the book, and passed on to others for generations. Man is imperfect, so there might be a few errors. It does not matter to me, does not shake my faith. I am sorry if this is an obstacle for you. And I am far from finished with it.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

your thoughts please

The 1000 years coincides with the 1000 rule of The Messiah on earth.

Right now satan possesses the kingdoms of the earth and is basically the god of this age. That is why the king of the north/first beast of the sea will be satan's man during the tribulation because satan promises him the kingdoms of the earth. So he (and the false prophet) side with satan against God and Israel. to try and forcefully take the earth from God.

So we can see the contrast now of the earth in satans hands/rule compared to the earth eventually under the rule of The Messiah. So now we see now bad thing are and eventually during the rule of The Messiah how almost perfect life will be under the rule of The Messiah (people who die at 100 are considered cursed).

So for The Messiah to accomplish His rule satan must be bound during this time. We can see what happens as soon as he is released at the end of the 1000 year rule, he deceives the earth one more time before being locked away for good.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is said that it was mortal men who wrote the book, and passed on to others for generations.

Do you not believe that those men were inspired by the HOLY SPIRIT to pen those words?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Annihilated would be more appropriate description

The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

your thoughts please

2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

It is obviously connected with this verse in some way or another. Why is it only one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, rather than one day is with the Lord as a hundred years---or one day is with the Lord as five hundred years---or one day is with the Lord as two thousand years---so on and so on? Probably because the text means what it says and that it doesn't mean something it doesn't say instead, such as some others are trying to do with the text, make it mean something it is not even saying. It also doesn't say two days are with the Lord as a thousand years--- or three days are with the Lord as a thousand years---it says one day is, and a thousand years as one day.

Why say this---that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years---and then say this---and a thousand years as one day---unless someone is trying to tell us something here, that one day is meaning a thousand years, and a thousand years are meaning one day, in the same way one day would be meaning 24 hours, and 24 hours meaning one day, the way we typically view time? The way we view time, no one would say one day is 25 hours or 30 hours or 48 hours, etc. Why shouldn't the same be true about a thousand years? One day is a thousand years, not 500 years nor even 2000 years, the text says it is a thousand years. Why not just believe what the text says? If the text had instead said that one day is as 24 hours, and 24 hours as one day, I bet others would believe what the text said then, thus would have no dispute with the text whatsoever.

The question is, what is 2 Peter 3:8 pertaining to? Is it pertaining to verse 7 or to verse 9? That might matter as well.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The 1000 years coincides with the 1000 rule of The Messiah on earth.

Right now satan possesses the kingdoms of the earth and is basically the god of this age. That is why the king of the north/first beast of the sea will be satan's man during the tribulation because satan promises him the kingdoms of the earth. So he (and the false prophet) side with satan against God and Israel. to try and forcefully take the earth from God.

So we can see the contrast now of the earth in satans hands/rule compared to the earth eventually under the rule of The Messiah. So now we see now bad thing are and eventually during the rule of The Messiah how almost perfect life will be under the rule of The Messiah (people who die at 100 are considered cursed).

So for The Messiah to accomplish His rule satan must be bound during this time. We can see what happens as soon as he is released at the end of the 1000 year rule, he deceives the earth one more time before being locked away for good.
Jesus said

“But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you.” Luke 11:20 (KJV 1900)

Upvote 0