Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If that means you get to force people to follow your will and force them to accept books in libraries they might not want, it doesn't seem the US constitution is all that good now does it?

In my opinion the US Constitution provides for the best system of government in the world. You are free to disagree.

I think for you it is a sacred belief.

How dare you. See the Christian symbol? My only sacred belief is in God Almighty.

Certaintly you aren't willing to entertain an understanding of things that goes beyond the US and if you are willing to completely submit yourself to the constitution and think of no other system beyond that. it is in effect sacred to you.

Again, try reading the OP. It is based on a situation that happened in the US, so the US Constitution is relevent.

That's a bad rule in my opinion and I've argued as much. Your insistence that because it's the law, doesn't change it being a bad rule.

So the the First Amendment is a bad rule? Wrong. Restricting access to books naturally leads to the censorship of ideas.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
And you consider it always bad to restrict ideas?

What ideas do you propose we restrict? How about equality? In the Central York situation (from the OP) the school board was all-white. The books they tried to ban were all by people of color. You don't have a problem with that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
For my argument it doesn't matter whether or not it is requested. My only point since the beginning has been if a library or other institution wants to ban a certain book, it should be able to. I've seen no compelling reason offered why they should be forced to accept something they don't want. I view local communities as worth more protecting than the wider US.

But I'm glad we agree that the US isn't sacred. It's a rather Godless nation which corrupts more than it edifies. Glad we agree.
All nations are Godless really.
Christ's kingdom is not from the world.
So um, maybe you should like idk have some more compassion? Because it seems (from just our brief interactions) that you don’t have much.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What ideas do you propose we restrict? How about equality? In the Central York situation (from the OP) the school board was all-white. The books they tried to ban were all by people of color. You don't have a problem with that?

So you now agree with the principle we can restrict ideas in the public arena if we find them unacceptable?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I never said that.

Now, answer my question.

Edit: Misread your original post so I'll rephrase my question.

No, hold on. You want to force groups you view as racist/fascists/Nazis/White Conservatives to be unable to regulate the books of libraries they are in control of. This implies a standard in which white racists are unable to exercise authority. Do you believe in freedom to express ideas or do you believe some ideas and people necessarily must be restricted?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

No, hold on. You want to force groups you view as racist/fascists/Nazis/White Conservatives to be unable to regulate the books of libraries they are in control of. This implies a standard in which white racists are unable to exercise authority. Do you believe in freedom to express ideas or do you believe some ideas and people necessarily must be restricted?
You still have not answered my question.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Look up the Amish, Old Order Mennonites, and the FLDS in the US.
They do exactly what you want.
They ban books and are cloistered Christian communities.
Though the FLDS is Mormon and being Christian is debatable.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Bro. You fundamentally misunderstand Public Libraries.
Conservative communities don’t request these books therefore we don’t order them.
We only order books that are requested because there is a limited budget.
Communities themselves pick what books they want. And once it’s there, it never leaves. Because someone asked for it.
Its a bit more complicated but that it in a nutshell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Look up the Amish, Old Order Mennonites, and the FLDS in the US.
They do exactly what you want.
They ban books and are cloistered Christian communities.
Though the FLDS is Mormon and being Christian is debatable.

What's wrong with the Amish? They have stronger faith communities the rest of the Churches in America and unlike the mainline denominations are actually growing, having families and decent lives. Shouldn't we seek to emulate them?

Mormons are not Christian but as a means of holding their community together I see nothing wrong with their practice so long as people are allowed to leave.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What's wrong with the Amish? They have stronger faith communities the rest of the Churches in America and unlike the mainline denominations are actually growing, having families and decent lives. Shouldn't we seek to emulate them?

Mormons are not Christian but as a means of holding their community together I see nothing wrong with their practice so long as people are allowed to leave.
NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE AMISH.
STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Ugh sorry it’s getting late here.
Look, I was just making suggestions.
And I agree. As long as ppl are allowed to leave, it’s mighty fine with me.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Anyways I gotta go to sleep it’s like 3am and I’m getting loopy I’m like getting all caps on you which is like rude again I’m sorry good night lol

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
NOTHING IS WRONG WITH THE AMISH.
STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH

So why bring them up then? They don't exactly help you as an example. If the banning of certain information in Amish communities leads to healthier and happier communities, why do you want a system which encourages the opposite in the wider public?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So why bring them up then? They don't exactly help you as an example. If the banning of certain information in Amish communities leads to healthier and happier communities, why do you want a system which encourages the opposite in the wider public?
Still waiting for an answer from you.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Anyways I gotta go to sleep it’s like 3am and I’m getting loopy I’m like getting all caps on you which is like rude again I’m sorry good night lol
Goodnight!

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

You stopped responding to the thread and never answered the question I asked you, but I will respond to your question, although I answered it earlier. The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the land. A school board may not violate a student’s First Amendment rights except in very limited circumstances.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,714.00
Faith
Pentecostal
We have seen an increase in the efforts by some to ban books in school and public libraries. These current efforts are largely led by conservatives who want to remove books that address such issues as LGBTQ and race.

The Central York School District banned such books as “Cece Loves Science” and “I am Rose Parks.” Fortunately public outcry led the school board to overturn its decision. The books are now back on the shelves.

The Nazis were famous for banning and burning books. Why do these parents want to follow in their footsteps?

US conservatives linked to rich donors wage campaign to ban books from schools | US news | The Guardian

How Students Fought a Book Ban and Won, for Now

Some books shouldn't be in schools. How on earth says all books should be allowed for all children to read and have access to.

It is wise to ban some books from kids.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Some books shouldn't be in schools. How on earth says all books should be allowed for all children to read and have access to.

It is wise to ban some books from kids.
And if you read the thread—apparently you did not—no one ever said that ALL books should be allowed for ALL children to read.

Upvote 0