Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you of the “there are no victims, only volunteers” mentality?

Are you of the "either/or" mentality?

Do we relegate "he (or she) paid dearly for his (or her) folly" only to works of fiction?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
They are "scare quotes".

Well...you're using them wrong as well. Putting quotes around a term unrelated to the topic makes it neither scary nor somehow magically relevant, and I mean that in an "odorless" way.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you of the "either/or" mentality?

Do we relegate "he (or she) paid dearly for his (or her) folly" only to works of fiction?
Clearly there are people who make poor decisions that end up in bad life outcomes. Your OP seems to suggest that bad life outcomes are accounted for by poor decisions more often than not. Do you have any evidence for this claim? Or is there some other point you’re making?

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
@zephcom , while I generally agree with you here, I don't agree with your implicit (but maybe ironic?) acceptance of the notion of an "alpha male." An "alpha male," if the term can even be applied to a human society, has responsibilities as well as "rights." Yet the described "alpha males" appear to have nothing going on except swagger and a lot of walls to protect them from those who would easily dominate them in a fight.

Edit: for example, research that shows that "alphas" tend to be those who do the most for others rather than those with the most physical strength: Foster, M.W. (2009). "Alpha male chimpanzee grooming patterns: implications for dominance "style"". American Journal of Primatology. 2009 (2): 136–144.

If it wasn't banned here, I would tell you that I was referring to the profile of the poster. But that could be interpreted as taunting so I won't run that risk.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do you think I meant it?

usually in the, your poor and can't feed your family it's your fault, your raped for doing something risky and such, the place where it's more excusing the behavior because it was something the victim did, and such.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,898.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do behave honorable towards others. :holy:

You asserted in these forums a few years ago that you refused to rent apartments to black people because you didn't rent to black people.

Nothing honorable about that.

• Informative
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Even parents lay 'double jeopardy' on their kids. "Well, if you hadn't 'done this or that, or gone here or there', this wouldn't have happened to you."

Assigning blame is simply charging someone responsibility for the consequences of their own actions or decisions. We are told "Don't blame the victim" whenever we are critical of some group that is having a hard time of it economically, medically, legally, socially, or whatever.

But what if it is actually their fault? Shouldn't it be pointed out that if they change their actions and decisions their lives would surely improve?
I think your life would surely improve if you´d stop being so concerned with judging people without knowing any details, and without considering (potential) very important factors.

Also, past mistakes can´t be reversed. Thus, "Well, if you hadn't 'done this or that, or gone here or there', this wouldn't have happened to you." about an action that has life long consequences is not really helpful.

Upvote 0

Madsaac

Aug 4, 2010
✟16,973.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Even parents lay 'double jeopardy' on their kids. "Well, if you hadn't 'done this or that, or gone here or there', this wouldn't have happened to you."

Assigning blame is simply charging someone responsibility for the consequences of their own actions or decisions. We are told "Don't blame the victim" whenever we are critical of some group that is having a hard time of it economically, medically, legally, socially, or whatever.

But what if it is actually their fault? Shouldn't it be pointed out that if they change their actions and decisions their lives would surely improve?

What I think you seem to want to ignore is that everyone does not have the same opportunities in life. Education support and health support are very clear examples. I don't want to put words in your mouth but I pretty sure your the type of guy who says "If you can't get a good education, bad luck"

Where I would like everyone to have the opportunity to a good education so I'm happy for my taxes to go to a the public school system all the way through college. What about you?

So no its quite often not their fault but the lack of societal support that the likes of you do not want to give.

What would Jesus want? The answer, give support to to those who need it.

And you call yourself a Christian.....See you in hell mate

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well...you're using them wrong as well. Putting quotes around a term unrelated to the topic makes it neither scary nor somehow magically relevant, and I mean that in an "odorless" way.

You have the burden of proving that my use of scare quotes is wrong, and that the term is unrelated. Good luck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Clearly there are people who make poor decisions that end up in bad life outcomes. Your OP seems to suggest that bad life outcomes are accounted for by poor decisions more often than not. Do you have any evidence for this claim? Or is there some other point you’re making?

Reread the OP. It is a question, not a statement.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Clearly there are people who make poor decisions that end up in bad life outcomes. Your OP seems to suggest that bad life outcomes are accounted for by poor decisions more often than not. Do you have any evidence for this claim?

I think that goes without saying.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
usually in the, your poor and can't feed your family it's your fault, your raped for doing something risky and such, the place where it's more excusing the behavior because it was something the victim did, and such.

You're partly right.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I think you seem to want to ignore is that everyone does not have the same opportunities in life. Education support and health support are very clear examples. I don't want to put words in your mouth but I pretty sure your the type of guy who says "If you can't get a good education, bad luck"

By "good education" I assume you mean a college education. Why not the trades?

Where I would like everyone to have the opportunity to a good education so I'm happy for my taxes to go to a the public school system all the way through college. What about you?

I'd rather see my taxes used for trade schools. We need more skilled tradespersons.

So no its quite often not their fault but the lack of societal support that the likes of you do not want to give.

I pay taxes. I don't dictate how it's spent (however I do vote Republican, mostly).

What would Jesus want? The answer, give support to to those who need it.

You think Jesus would promote atheism and evolution? I think not.

Recall that college grads will earn $1Million more than me (a HS grad) in their lifetime. Why should I pay for their education?

And you call yourself a Christian.....See you in hell mate

Ouch! :eek:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You asserted in these forums a few years ago that you refused to rent apartments to black people because you didn't rent to black people.

Nothing honorable about that.

You have a good memory. That was a business decision.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think your life would surely improve if you´d stop being so concerned with judging people without knowing any details, and without considering (potential) very important factors.

That's the very point I would like to explore...the details.

My life is good. I'm about helping others...see the light.

Also, past mistakes can´t be reversed. Thus, "Well, if you hadn't 'done this or that, or gone here or there', this wouldn't have happened to you." about an action that has life long consequences is not really helpful.

Those actions referred to in the opening paragraph of the OP don't have life-long consequences. It was meant to illustrate the 'double jeopardy' children often face.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

have never said that ^ , nor would I

have tended to think it's the school's fault when my child came home with bite marks on arm and face bruised from other kids (multiple times)

have tended to think no one's watching the kids at recess
however, as my child gets older, less school mishaps

so either the kids are behaving better/growing up
or my child is not playing near the "troublemakers" or combination of both

Upvote 0