Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even parents lay 'double jeopardy' on their kids. "Well, if you hadn't 'done this or that, or gone here or there', this wouldn't have happened to you."

Assigning blame is simply charging someone responsibility for the consequences of their own actions or decisions. We are told "Don't blame the victim" whenever we are critical of some group that is having a hard time of it economically, medically, legally, socially, or whatever.

But what if it is actually their fault? Shouldn't it be pointed out that if they change their actions and decisions their lives would surely improve?

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, if you get murdered by a serial killer while you're in your home, what measures should you have taken?

Details needed for a response.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even parents lay 'double jeopardy' on their kids. "Well, if you hadn't 'done this or that, or gone here or there', this wouldn't have happened to you."

Assigning blame is simply charging someone responsibility for the consequences of their own actions or decisions. We are told "Don't blame the victim" whenever we are critical of some group that is having a hard time of it economically, medically, legally, socially, or whatever.

But what if it is actually their fault? Shouldn't it be pointed out that if they change their actions and decisions their lives would surely improve?
Who is to blame for the death of Jesus? What should he have done diffetently.

A Christian is a slave in a brick yard in Pakistan. How can he change his circumstances? The system is rigged for him to be a debt slave.

A soldier gets orders to attack a position. He gets paralyzed by enemy fire. He cannot go back and do over.

If only I would have studied better I could have enough and to spare. Now I have comforts and do not lack. Is it my fault I have much and others have little?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My goodness, the subject was sure deflected away from the OP's statement regarding personal accountability real fast.
I dunno, I think these are legitimate replies.

"Don't blame the victim" often comes up in response to sex crimes. Ted Bundy committed homicides and sexual assaults in a sorority house (and in other places).

So does "But what if it is actually their fault? Shouldn't it be pointed out that if they change their actions and decisions their lives would surely improve?" apply to these women? If so, how is it to be applied? If not, why not?

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

That's not what double jeopardy is. You are using it wrong.

EWe are told "Don't blame the victim" whenever we are critical of some group that is having a hard time of it economically, medically, legally, socially, or whatever.

No, we aren't. You are using that wrong too.

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who is to blame for the death of Jesus? What should he have done diffetently.

A Christian is a slave in a brick yard in Pakistan. How can he change his circumstances? The system is rigged for him to be a debt slave.

A soldier gets orders to attack a position. He gets paralyzed by enemy fire. He cannot go back and do over.

If only I would have studied better I could have enough and to spare. Now I have comforts and do not lack. Is it my fault I have much and others have little?

Red herring arguments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's not what double jeopardy is. You are using it wrong.

No, we aren't. You are using that wrong too.

So, you have no idea what I'm talking about?

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,357.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

don't blame the victim generally refers to when your taking the blame for something bad happening off the actual source to someone else.

Oh it's her fault she was raped at that party if she hadn't been promiscuous, and dressed so skankily and drunk she wouldn't be raped." Did she possibly take some bad choices, maybe, but nothing she ever did makes being raped her fault, because rape isn't something that you can do anything to make it right.

And many other things such as this, "Oh those black lazy people if they weren't so lazy and not getting jobs and just drinking and doing drugs all day they wouldn't be so far behind." and so on, it's a excuse to instead of looking at what causes things, it's to say, "It's all your fault." It ignores all the social context outside of a person.

I can think of dozens of examples of this, "Oh families are never home to take care of the kids so they are watching tv and playing games instead of playing outside." or related, "Woman shouldn't be working they should be taking care of the home." ignoring that at many times in the US history both parents had to work multiple jobs just to keep the family afloat.

I think there is room for personal responsability, but this isn't what is meant most of the time.

• Winner
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

<he-he> I like the way you lay the framework for avoiding your responsibility for behaving honorably towards others. "It is -THEIR- fault because they trusted others to behave correctly".

My Christian friend who will always drive me home when I've been drinking told me once that if the rules today were in place when he was in college, the whole lot of them would be in jail because they just assumed that if a girl got drunk at their place meant they consented to sex. After all, why go to a house full men and drink if you didn't want sex?

Everyone -should- have the reasonable expectation of safety in a civilized nation. Wearing a short skirt is not the same thing as carrying around a sign saying, "Please Rape Me" no matter how much men will claim it is.

Jogging in a speedo in the park is not the same thing as carrying a sign which says, "I want to be killed".

When people have to take precautions to avoid any possible manner of enticing alpha males from getting the 'wrong' idea, they don't live in a civilized nation. Alpha males who don't recognize others right to live in freedom are predators.

They should accept what they are and stop blaming their victims for not quivering in fear whenever they are around alpha males.

• Agree
Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Referring to the OP. Sometimes the victim is partially to blame, sometimes they're not. If someone's behavior is likely to make them a "victim" then this should be pointed out to them for their own well being.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Referring to the OP. Sometimes the victim is partially to blame, sometimes they're not. If someone's behavior is likely to make them a "victim" then this should be pointed out to them for their own well being.

True. Where a person is in life, or at any point in life, is likely the result of a decision they made. Those decisions, and (most of) the results thereof, are their responsibility.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,911.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. Where a person is in life, or at any point in life, is likely the result of a decision they made. Those decisions, and (most of) the results thereof, are their responsibility.

Reminds me of the old saying "Character and Circumstance equals future".

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
<he-he> I like the way you lay the framework for avoiding your responsibility for behaving honorably towards others. "It is -THEIR- fault because they trusted others to behave correctly".

My Christian friend who will always drive me home when I've been drinking told me once that if the rules today were in place when he was in college, the whole lot of them would be in jail because they just assumed that if a girl got drunk at their place meant they consented to sex. After all, why go to a house full men and drink if you didn't want sex?

Everyone -should- have the reasonable expectation of safety in a civilized nation. Wearing a short skirt is not the same thing as carrying around a sign saying, "Please Rape Me" no matter how much men will claim it is.

Jogging in a speedo in the park is not the same thing as carrying a sign which says, "I want to be killed".

When people have to take precautions to avoid any possible manner of enticing alpha males from getting the 'wrong' idea, they don't live in a civilized nation. Alpha males who don't recognize others right to live in freedom are predators.

They should accept what they are and stop blaming their victims for not quivering in fear whenever they are around alpha males.

The world we live in is a dangerous place. They should teach that beginning in the early grades. Girls especially should be warned about boys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I do behave honorable towards others. :holy:

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

Poppycock. A woman raped and killed while jogging should not have 'decided' to jog?? People who are injured or killed in a fast food restaurant should not have decided to eat out that night?

Hold on, it gets even better. People who get sexually harassed at work should not have 'decided' to take that job?? People who get shot by police should not have ignored the color of their skin?

The people gassed in Germany should have never agreed to be Semitic Jews? Who knew that whacking off your baby's foreskin was a bad decision to make.

Being born in Syria appears to have been a bad decision to make also. You should have decided to be born in Sweden so you could still get a passport to America.

Decisions are made. Sometimes they turn out okay, sometimes not. White Alpha Males get a LOT more forgiveness for their bad decisions than do many other people. At least no one is going around telling the White Alpha Males that it was their poor decision making to go to that street concert in Los Vegas........'Cause it is okay to view White Alpha Males as true victims when their decisions go wrong.

Upvote 0