USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
During the looting we experienced an exotic dealership was hit. The cars ranged in price from $200,000 and above. They carry Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, etc. Everything was taken save one. But it never appeared in the news.

You can't move that kind of merchandise without help. The cars aren't in the hood. It was masterminded by someone with the connections and resources to circumvent discovery and unload them.

Crime isn't absent in affluent areas. They play at a different scale. Not the sort you'll encounter in plain sight.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

• Agree
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
During the looting we experienced an exotic dealership was hit. The cars ranged in price from $200,000 and above. They carry Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, etc. Everything was taken save one. But it never appeared in the news.

You can't move that kind of merchandise without help. The cars aren't in the hood. It was masterminded by someone with the connections and resources to circumvent discovery and unload them.

Crime isn't absent in affluent areas. They play at a different scale. Not the sort you'll encounter in plain sight.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Yeah, I hear you, prison is for the poor wannabe criminals.

*In large part.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah, I hear you, prison is for the poor wannabe criminals.

Do you recall the comment made during the riots in Minnesota?

It was along the lines you've stated. They mentioned the foolishness of destroying property without adding it to a portfolio to enable the owners to earn a profit from its demise. In other words, they wouldn't torch a building without a guaranteed payday on the other side.

In their mind, merchandise is child's play. Most people don't think like that.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Do you recall the comment made during the riots in Minnesota?

It was along the lines you've stated. They mentioned the foolishness of destroying property without adding it to a portfolio to enable the owners to earn a profit from its demise. In other words, they wouldn't torch a building without a guaranteed payday on the other side.

In their mind, merchandise is child's play. Most people don't think like that.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Hey, even the police are paid with money...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m sorry, but that’s still numbers. It doesn’t say WHY.
Another government report ...

From ... https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/208129.pdf

Results: Eighty-five studies meeting our stated eligibility criteria were located. Analysis of these data reveal that, after taking into account defendant criminal history and current offense seriousness, African-Americans and Latinos were generally sentenced more harshly than whites. Differences in sentencing outcomes between these groups generally were statistically significant but statistically small (although not necessarily substantively small). Further, analyses indicate that larger estimates of unwarranted sentencing disparity were found in studies that examined drug offenses, imprisonment or discretionary sentencing decisions, and in recent analyses of Federal court data. Smaller estimates of unwarranted sentencing disparity were found in analyses that employed more control variables (especially those that controlled for defendant SES), utilized precise measures of key variables, or examined sentencing outcomes relating to length of incarcerative sentence. Additionally, there was some evidence to suggest that structured sentencing mechanisms, such as sentencing guidelines, were associated with smaller unwarranted sentencing disparities. The limited available research contrasting sentencing patterns of whites to those of Asians or Native Americans does not generally reveal significant differences between these groups.

Conclusions: Overall, these findings call into question the so-called “no discrimination thesis.” These findings suggest that policy-makers need to re-evaluate sentencing practices, especially in regards to drug offenses and the decision to incarcerate.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
136469-Ayn-Rand-Quote-Capitalism-and-altruism-are-incompatible-they-are.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Another government report ...

From ... https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/208129.pdf

Results: Eighty-five studies meeting our stated eligibility criteria were located. Analysis of these data reveal that, after taking into account defendant criminal history and current offense seriousness, African-Americans and Latinos were generally sentenced more harshly than whites. Differences in sentencing outcomes between these groups generally were statistically significant but statistically small (although not necessarily substantively small). Further, analyses indicate that larger estimates of unwarranted sentencing disparity were found in studies that examined drug offenses, imprisonment or discretionary sentencing decisions, and in recent analyses of Federal court data. Smaller estimates of unwarranted sentencing disparity were found in analyses that employed more control variables (especially those that controlled for defendant SES), utilized precise measures of key variables, or examined sentencing outcomes relating to length of incarcerative sentence. Additionally, there was some evidence to suggest that structured sentencing mechanisms, such as sentencing guidelines, were associated with smaller unwarranted sentencing disparities. The limited available research contrasting sentencing patterns of whites to those of Asians or Native Americans does not generally reveal significant differences between these groups.

Conclusions: Overall, these findings call into question the so-called “no discrimination thesis.” These findings suggest that policy-makers need to re-evaluate sentencing practices, especially in regards to drug offenses and the decision to incarcerate.
So the conclusion is that most judges are racist, correct?

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So the conclusion is that most judges are racist, correct?

The point about it being systemic involves societal mechanisms at work, that don't necessarily reflect the beliefs and/or practices of individuals, after all, they are "just doing their job".

*Worn cogs get replaced.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The point about it being systemic involves societal mechanisms at work, that don't necessarily reflect the beliefs and/or practices of individuals, after all, they are "just doing their job".

*Worn cogs get replaced.
That only works if there’s something in place that says black men get stiffer sentences.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That only works if there’s something in place that says black men get stiffer sentences.

It doesn't have to be so direct.

Machines are complex and the push of one lever will lead to a whole array of other (seemingly unrelated) interactions before it trickles down to the desired output.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Altruism expresses a willingness to do things that bring advantages to others, even if it results in disadvantage for oneself. Few possess that mindset as citizens or business owners. For the good of all is a concept few could swallow. We’re too self-interested.

We aren’t willing to accept decreases in comfort, profit, income, taxes, resources, experiences, spoils, happiness, etc. to accommodate those with less. Leveling the playing field is fine in theory. But not at personal expense.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't have to be so direct.

Machines are complex and the push of one lever will lead to a whole array of other (seemingly unrelated) interactions before it trickles down to the desired output.
Machines don’t sentence.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Altruism expresses a willingness to do things that bring advantages to others, even if it results in disadvantage for oneself. Few possess that mindset as citizens or business owners. For the good of all is a concept few could swallow. We’re too self-interested.

We aren’t willing to accept decreases in comfort, profit, income, taxes, resources, experiences, spoils, happiness, etc. to accommodate those with less. Leveling the playing field is fine in theory. But not at personal expense.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella
I don’t know about you, but I have a job due to capitalism. And this year, we are doing 10 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, our kids each get to pick a gift for Compassion International (look it up), plus the child we sponsor with Compassion International. That sounds like compatibility to me.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And this year, we are doing 10 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, our kids each get to pick a gift for Compassion International (look it up) ...
How condescending ... as if those with (perhaps) different political viewpoints wouldn't know anything about Compassion International ... or couldn't figure it out.

I've been sponsoring kids from Compassion for at least (30) years now ... and a passel with World Vision, as well. I just picked up (2) more because of COVID ...

Upvote 0