Black Lives Matter chapters receive backlash after posting that they stand with Palestinians

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,101,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Black Lives Matter chapters have come under fire over posts supporting Palestinians after the Hamas terrorist attack on Israel.

BLM Grassroots, which represents different chapters, posted a lengthy statement saying it stands “in solidarity with the Palestinian people.”

• Prayers
Reactions: YorkieGal

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Up until this event, I have felt inclined to be generally sympathetic to BLM. Part of that sympathy has its origin in what I believe is a very legitimate concern about lingering racism in the United States (we have our own racism issues here in Canada, but that is not what I'm talking about right now).

In short, my thinking was that if BLM stands against racism, that is probably a good thing.

This most recent event, that is showing support for the terrorists, has definitely changed my mind about that movement. Yes, there have been retractions of sorts, but the fact that the BLM post was put up in the first place raised some very serious concerns about this organization.

On all sides of this and other issues, we all need to be appropriately nuanced in our thinking. Just because a particular group may appear to align with our view of the world does not mean that they do not bear scrutiny.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
More generally, it is clear that some elements of the "left" have gone completely off the rails in terms of their response to these attacks. On the other hand, I suggest, although I have no immediate evidence to prove it, that among those who would identify as members of the left, the overwhelming majority join with all clear thinking people in utterly condemning these cowardly attacks.

• Agree
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Up until this event, I have felt inclined to be generally sympathetic to BLM. Part of that sympathy has its origin in what I believe is a very legitimate concern about lingering racism in the United States (we have our own racism issues here in Canada, but that is not what I'm talking about right now).

In short, my thinking was that if BLM stands against racism, that is probably a good thing.

This most recent event, that is showing support for the terrorists, has definitely changed my mind about that movement. Yes, there have been retractions of sorts, but the fact that the BLM post was put up in the first place raised some very serious concerns about this organization.

On all sides of this and other issues, we all need to be appropriately nuanced in our thinking. Just because a particular group may appear to align with our view of the world does not mean that they do not bear scrutiny.
Yes. It is entirely consistent to support the concept that black lives matter while not supporting the BLM organization. As you said, nuanced thinking matters.

Upvote 0