seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for all the input. I really don't have a problem with temping or with using condoms, but I can't rely on my cervical mucus because I have too much sex so it's not reliable for me. At least, I have a difficult time telling on that alone when I'm fertile. I did get ovulation pain before I got pregnant so I always knew when I was ovulating, but I don't know if I'll still have that once I deliver.

How reliable is temping while breastfeeding?

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Thanks for all the input. I really don't have a problem with temping or with using condoms, but I can't rely on my cervical mucus because I have too much sex so it's not reliable for me. At least, I have a difficult time telling on that alone when I'm fertile. I did get ovulation pain before I got pregnant so I always knew when I was ovulating, but I don't know if I'll still have that once I deliver.

How reliable is temping while breastfeeding?
It's very reliable--but you have to follow the "rules" of NFP to get the effectiveness results near 99% :)

WIth Billings- one of the rules is sex every other day leading to the appearance of fertile mucous-as well as evenings only on those days to ensure it is an innfertile day, precisely for the reason you mentioned:) Interestingly when the fertile mucous is about to appear, it actually has spermicidal qualities- which I find fascinating (because I am a nerd like that!). So if a woman is having an infertile day, has sex that night- and then fertile mucous begins the next day (which will be masked by seminal fluid)- she is still nearly 99% unlikely to get pregnant because of this quality of the mucous.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

So is watching your cervical mucous more reliable when you monitor it on your tp after wiping? Just wondering cause that's what I always did when I was ttc.
I don't know if it's more reliable, but it's far less intrusive than touching one's cervix--but you also have to be familiar with the "rules" for using this method (Billings)if you are going to use it to postpone pregnancy. The rules are not very complicated- but they are essential to the method's effectiveness. (Which is the same as sympto-thermal, both of which are just as effective as the Pill--of course assuming that there isn't any 'cheating' on the rules :))

Upvote 0

3Princessmom

Oct 26, 2006
Northern Centeral United States
Visit site
✟15,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's very reliable--but you have to follow the "rules" of NFP to get the effectiveness results near 99% :)

WIth Billings- one of the rules is sex every other day leading to the appearance of fertile mucous-as well as evenings only on those days to ensure it is an innfertile day, precisely for the reason you mentioned:) Interestingly when the fertile mucous is about to appear, it actually has spermicidal qualities- which I find fascinating (because I am a nerd like that!). So if a woman is having an infertile day, has sex that night- and then fertile mucous begins the next day (which will be masked by seminal fluid)- she is still nearly 99% unlikely to get pregnant because of this quality of the mucous.

Amazing! I never knew this, and it explains why it took us so long to get pregnant last time! I was monitoring my temperatures and cervical mucous and I thought if you had sex anywhere near the tiem of O you would get pregnant. Eveidently what we did worked great - to prevent pregnancy! I'll be darned! Thanks for sharing!

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Amazing! I never knew this, and it explains why it took us so long to get pregnant last time! I was monitoring my temperatures and cervical mucous and I thought if you had sex anywhere near the tiem of O you would get pregnant. Eveidently what we did worked great - to prevent pregnancy! I'll be darned! Thanks for sharing!
I just find the scientific knowledge out there about the role and properties of fertile and infertile mucous really fascinating. Somewhere on one of the Billings sites there are some very awesome electron microscope pictures of infertile mucous trapping the sperm- it really shows dramatically how a woman is very unlikely to get pregnant without fertile mucuous enabling the effective motion of the sperm. In addition to easing their motion , the fertile mucous also "nourishes" the sperm enabling them to live for their maximum life span- increasing the odds that they will meet with the ovum- which is only viable for about 24 hours.

Billings also recommends when trying to achieve pregnancy to have intercourse every other day during fertile periods to increase the sperm count in the man. Certainly it is not the "secret" answer to the heartaches of those suffering though infertility- but I think the science behind it is really cool to know :)

Upvote 0

PegasusOnFire

is currently unsupervised...
Jun 25, 2003
Iowa
✟32,653.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
??? has anyone else gotten pregnant without any signs of cervial mucus?

All I keep hearing how that is a big indiactor of ovulation and fertile times, I looked for it never got it, but still got pregnant.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I am not wanting to get back on the pill after this buby is born, but cannot rely on my mucus and am not very disaplined(sp?) when it comes to temping.

Upvote 0

seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WIth Billings- one of the rules is sex every other day leading to the appearance of fertile mucous-as well as evenings only on those days to ensure it is an innfertile day, precisely for the reason you mentioned:)
I saw that on the site and that's why I think Billings won't work for me...I can't follow a schedule when it comes to sex. At least so far, we're way too spontaneous for that and I don't like having rules about when it's okay and when it's not. :( I didn't know if temping was affected by breastfeeding or not :)

Upvote 0

gracefaith

Faith...Hope...Love
Sep 26, 2004
Visit site
✟13,991.00
Faith
Christian
??? has anyone else gotten pregnant without any signs of cervial mucus?

All I keep hearing how that is a big indiactor of ovulation and fertile times, I looked for it never got it, but still got pregnant.

Not meaning to derail the thread, but I am not wanting to get back on the pill after this buby is born, but cannot rely on my mucus and am not very disaplined(sp?) when it comes to temping.

You could always try condoms and 'lazy persons FAM'. I used to use the ovulation predictor on mymonthlycycles.com without checking CM or temping and used condoms for a week before and 3 days after my predicted ovulation. Don't know if that will work for you if you are nursing though.

As for temping, I NEVER thought I would be disciplined enough, but then I started putting the thermometer either on top of my alarm clock or in my eyeglasses case - meaning I HAD to touch every morning before I got out of bed and wouldn't forget!

Upvote 0

3Princessmom

Oct 26, 2006
Northern Centeral United States
Visit site
✟15,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Temping seems like a pain, but it really isn't a big deal when you get used to it. We always push the snooze button on our clock a time or two before getting out of bed, so the first time it went off I'd pick up my thermometor (next to my clock) and pop it in my mouth. I just laid there, sometimes falling back asleep, and waited for it to beep. It didn't inconvience me at all. I also kept my calendar by my bed and would write down my temp as soon as I got out of bed. It ended up just being really easy and routine after I did it for a few months. And missing a temp here or there isn't going to screw up the whole thing, there is a bit of flexibility to it.

Also, some women never get visible fertile mucous. On my old message board they called it egg white cervical mucous - or ewcm. Some women never saw ewcm unless they actually "went in" to get it. So that isn't always a good predictor for every woman.

Just sharing the little bit I know! ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RoseofLima

I saw that on the site and that's why I think Billings won't work for me...I can't follow a schedule when it comes to sex. At least so far, we're way too spontaneous for that and I don't like having rules about when it's okay and when it's not. :( I didn't know if temping was affected by breastfeeding or not :)
Yeah- I can understand that... it can be a pain :) I have found it kind of builds up the anticipation in a good way, though:) Of course- we have four kids so things are a little less "free" and there often has to be some kind of plan anyway.

Yes temps. should work--however- for the method to be most effective (symptothermal method that is)-- there will be times of abstinence same as in Billings.

For me the temp issue is that we co-sleep, and the babies and mommy can be up at all totally random times- or I might be nursing or changing a diaper or my spit up upon PJs.

Upvote 0

purpleunicorn_Andi

Mar 22, 2005
san antonio, tx
✟17,595.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm thinking of getting an IUD once this one gets here... any pros and conns on this? I have gotten to the point where I can't remember to take a pill everyday...part of what happened this time :) I liked the ring, but my hubby did not, did not like the patch at all...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I had an iud fitted as we aren't planning any more children but I'm not ready for my hubby to go for the snip in case I change his mind about no more children lol
so far it's going well. It's just the copper coil as I wasn't prepared to have anything with hormones in it. It works well because I don't have to think about it. We dan be as spontanious as we want and if we do decide to have more we can get pregnant straight away

Upvote 0

pwfaith

May 5, 2010
NC
Visit site
✟7,744.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for input and suggestions on birth control after pregnancy.

I'm very open to using NFP but how easy is it to chart accurately while breastfeeding?

What other options will I have while I breastfeed? I am planning on BFing for at least 6 months, but ideally would not like to get pregnant for about 14 months after I have my son.

We do condoms. Not ideal but it works. :)

I HATE hormonal birth controls - merely b/c of how they make me feel, which is very crappy, hormonal and like a mad-woman toward my entire family. We also have personal convictions about them and they way they work (the abortificant issue)

I have not tried NFP but we had a speaker in my old MOPS group from a NFP instructor at a local Catholic Church. She was very inspiring. I remember her saying that if you are trained in it, as opposed to just reading about it online and trying it then the failure rate is much lower. They advised the Billings method.

Upvote 0