Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Heavenhome You said this a while ago; and it's quite correct; it's opened up hugely for women now to receive them confidently; and as regards the huge amount of women around their sixties that you mentioned, these days one could say that their new ink is likely what grandmothers show their granddaughters at
Christmas: it's hugely widespread now for mature women to be able to receive ink confidently.

On the subject of faith based tattoos, I have only seen two personally and they were small, one was a tiny cross on the back of a girls neck and the other was between the thumb and forefinger of a fish with some letters inside it.
This was most interesting as it was the new person who runs our little post office/chemist. I asked him about it and that opened up conversation about our faith.:)

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the subject of faith based tattoos, I have only seen two personally and they were small, one was a tiny cross on the back of a girls neck and the other was between the thumb and forefinger of a fish with some letters inside it.
This was most interesting as it was the new person who runs our little post office/chemist. I asked him about it and that opened up conversation about our faith.:)

Once at the library I was wearing my sweater which has written on the front Religion Kills in bloody letters, and in the back Jesus Saves in fiery letters. With flames on each sleeves side. One man got my attention asking me to help him with the computer, as well as mentioning he saw I was Christian, telling me he was a new pastor of a church.

So yeah, such things can be used as conversation starters. ;) :) Other times it may also offend.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They can be used that way, yes.
They do work as conversation-starters in witness. For some Christians it's not so much the inherent "need" or value of getting ink as it is the fact that put simply faith based tattoo designs do work - pragmatically - as witness tools.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They do work as conversation-starters in witness. For some Christians it's not so much the inherent "need" or value of getting ink as it is the fact that put simply faith based tattoo designs do work - pragmatically - as witness tools.

I just looked up the definition for pragmatic. ;) I like to do this, just to be sure I get it the right way. :)

I don't think all Christians who takes faith based tattoos always consider it may be used as a conversation starter, as many times it is something they like or want to be reminded of, etc... but of course, it can lead into a conversation starter whether they were aware of the possibility of this happening or not earlier when taking the tattoo(s). :)

• Informative
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just looked up the definition for pragmatic. ;) I like to do this, just to be sure I get it the right way. :)

I don't think all Christians who takes faith based tattoos always consider it may be used as a conversation starter, as many times it is something they like or want to be reminded of, etc... but of course, it can lead into a conversation starter whether they were aware of the possibility of this happening or not earlier when taking the tattoo(s). :)
@Crowned Princess

For some, there may be interwoven reasons, to a greater or lesser extent.

1) Because it feels good to be reminded of faith.

2) Because it feels good to have a ready-made witness tool available always.

3) Because it feels good to identify with other Christians who also use the tattoo parlor.

4) Because it feels good to identify with a Christian family member who already has a faith based tattoo.

5) Because it feels good.

(In the scheme of things, I don't think the idea of "feeling good" on its own is exclusively a particularly sound reason for doing something. If there is a significant usefulness in witness, however, this might alter the situation a great deal. If this makes sense?)

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Crowned Princess

For some, there may be interwoven reasons, to a greater or lesser extent.

1) Because it feels good to be reminded of faith.

2) Because it feels good to have a ready-made witness tool available always.

3) Because it feels good to identify with other Christians who also use the tattoo parlor.

4) Because it feels good to identify with a Christian family member who already has a faith based tattoo.

5) Because it feels good.

(In the scheme of things, I don't think the idea of "feeling good" on its own is exclusively a particularly sound reason for doing something. If there is a significant usefulness in witness, however, this might alter the situation a great deal. If this makes sense?)

Of course, I do get what you mean. :):thumbsup:

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Someone I knew who she and her husband were fervently evangelizing at the time I knew them, I hope they continue doing this now too, she had an conversation with a man having many tattoos. And he would explain to her that every tattoo had a own story behind it, he had a reason for taking each and every tattoo on himself.
So was she tattooed also, do you mean?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I asked him about it and that opened up conversation about our faith.:)
@Heavenhome Yes, well, it happens a lot.

Suitably tattooed Christians do get repeated opportunities like the one you mentioned.

This is often why they do it. Going to the parlor confidently.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
@derpytia So did you even go to the parlor with some of the friends you mentioned in order to give them support while they had it done? A lot of Christians feel faith based designs are proven effective in witness.

No, they had the tattoos done before I became friends with them.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This was most interesting...
@Heavenhome You're right, yes; tattoos can be most interesting, can't they?

It can indeed be most interesting to look at tattoo portfolios at the huge variety of good artwork that has accumulated, faith based or otherwise.: whether Online portfolios, or ones in parlors, where usually one can go in and see the artwork, without obligation.

So are there any good parlors near you, maybe?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Something like 95% of churchgoers are not born again. We are encouraged in the Bible to make sure that we are "in the faith".
Hi, @Aussie Pete It's also true to say that among those who are born again, some are not tattooed and some are. I saw a quote about how widespread it is in the Bible Belt; maybe in Australia, too?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi, @Aussie Pete It's also true to say that among those who are born again, some are not tattooed and some are. I saw a quote about how widespread it is in the Bible Belt; maybe in Australia, too?
Perhaps among younger people. The taboo around tattoos is fading away. I don't want the expense or the pain. I don't move in the right circles, I suppose.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps among younger people. The taboo around tattoos is fading away.
@Aussie Pete This quote that I saw kind of proves what you say:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

What @IntriKate , above, said also generally supports what you say.
Almost everyone I know has tatts so they werent a big deal to me one way or the other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@Heavenhome You're right, yes; tattoos can be most interesting, can't they?

It can indeed be most interesting to look at tattoo portfolios at the huge variety of good artwork that has accumulated, faith based or otherwise.: whether Online portfolios, or ones in parlors, where usually one can go in and see the artwork, without obligation.

So are there any good parlors near you, maybe?

I am the worst person to ask because I don't take much notice.
Having said that I am in a small town of about 750 so we certainly don't!

However in the large regional towns I would say just about everyone does have at least one tattoo parlour.
I have never been inside one myself but its funny in that I became fascinated with the tattoo show "Inkmasters" and my young sister who has loads of them:confused:, thought it was hilarious when I would talk about the show and "saturation" etc.

Though I have no wish to get one, I can recognise the good artwork in some.

There's way more bad ones though :)

Upvote 0