Biblical sufficiency vs Modern Questions?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No I know both of what those verses are about specifically but you missed the point. The point was that the Pharisees judged based on appearance and assumed evil things without knowing the real reasons behind something. Why Jesus hung out with "a bad crowd" was not to be influenced into evil by them but to influence them to good. But from an outside lens looking in you'd see Jesus and someone might assume "he hangs with a bad crowd, so he must also be bad".
"He uses marijuana, so he must be a stoner druggy getting high"
If it was easier to dose I'd use oral route, but the times I've tried edibles, it's very hard to dose because it can take 60-120 minutes for anything to be noticed which makes you more prone to double dosing if by 90 minutes it's not working, now another hour later you're hammered and intoxicated.
Vaping I can say "this is where I stop".

Yet, Scripture is also true that we are to abstain from any appearance of evil.
So while we can evangelize and follow Jesus's example (like with trying to reach the lost), there is no example of us doing things that others may think the wrong thing about us (when it comes to other things).

I cannot judge your heart and life personally. I am judging the belief and not you personally. I just know that smoking or vaping can lead to health risks and damage to the body. 1 Corinthians 3:17 says if we defile our temple, God will destroy us. Edibles is a better and more discreet option and does not appear to damage the body like smoking and vaping does (that said, please see my important note below).

See this article here:
Edibles vs. Smoking and Vaping - Which Is Better? | Marijuana Doctors
(Important Note: Please know that I am not giving you official medical advice but a spiritual one; You should consult your doctor before making any official decision involving your medical health - of course).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not advertisement it's openness about something they might have an issue with. Say I kept it secret, and then the church for whatever reason, decided to protest a dispensary I go to on the day that I go to it. I'd have to lie about the reason I was there, or come clean and have it appear WORSE by hiding it until caught, which shows guilt. By being up front to a pastor saying, I have a condition, that I wouldn't even be able to walk into a church, but I am prescribed medical marijuana and I can walk into a church because of it (obviously not while acutely affected by it right then it'd be something I'd used a day or so prior), I don't use it to get high, and I use moderately weak THC strains, just to manage inflammation. I am being honest and open with them about an issue that they might have concern over.
But do I wear pot leaf tshirts and hats and grow dreadlocks and whatever other stereotypes people have? no.
I don't always do the best job of shaving but.. I don't like the rashes that sometimes are on my face and sometimes a beard hides them.

I don't think it would be a concern if it were edibles (Which are more discreet). See the article, and contact your local physician if this is the right medical option for you.

May God bless you;
And I am praying for your situation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
It's not what I think. It is what history reports. Various different historical documents say that the Israelite had mixed their wine with water. Those who worship a beverage or hold it in high esteem as a part of their old life are not going to be able to see such things in history and they will simply reject such documents because they do not align with their personal view of alcohol being their idol. But again, I am not going to endless argue with folks on this topic. Check out the threads for yourself and do some research on the internet, my friend.
Well my father has a doctoral degree from Talbot university with an emphasis in church history, reads greek and Hebrew, and has been a professor of church history for 32 years. He also hasn’t had a drop of alcohol since he got saved in the seventies. He says what you are saying is a possibility but not established or agreed upon truth by biblical and church history scholars by any stretch. It’s cool tho

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟407,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's actually incorrect now. Search for Epidiolex. It's CBD, a cannabis extract approved by the FDA

Yes you are correct.

from the FDA Regulation page given.
FDA Regulation of Cannabis and Cannabis-Derived Products: Q&A

".....FDA has, however, approved one cannabis-derived and three cannabis-related drug products. These approved products are only available with a prescription from a licensed healthcare provider........"

continue from link

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Epidiolex (cannabidiol) [CBD] oral solution for the treatment of seizures associated with two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome....."

An [oral solution] made from [CBD] not [THC],
to help [not really heal] severe forms of epilepsy....

There is real food that can help heal some problems.

"4. Aside from Epidiolex, are there other CBD drug products that are FDA-approved? What about the products I’ve seen in stores or online?

A. No. There are no other FDA-approved drug products that contain CBD. We are aware that some firms are marketing CBD products to treat diseases or for other therapeutic uses , and we have issued several warning letters to such firms...."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
On the focus on the appearance of evil, I'd like to point out some scripture.

Matthew 9:11
Matthew 12:24
Don't be a Pharisee and assume evil by appearance colored by your own prejudices.
once people see the word “Pharisee” their cerebral cortex stops working and they are incapable of rational thought. Lol I try not to use it but I did the other day and my experiment worked

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well my father has a doctoral degree from Talbot university with an emphasis in church history, reads greek and Hebrew, and has been a professor of church history for 32 years. He also hasn’t had a drop of alcohol since he got saved in the seventies. He says what you are saying is a possibility but not established or agreed upon truth by biblical and church history scholars by any stretch. It’s cool tho

Jesus says beware of the scribes. The scribes are those who “tran-scribe” the Scriptures. The scribes would be the scholars of our day. For they transcribe Scripture in some way. James says God has chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith. No disrespect towards your father, but you should study God’s Word for yourself to show yourself approved unto God (See 2 Timothy 2:15 in the King James). The Bible and history confirms the truth I am referring to.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yet, Scripture is also true that we are to abstain from any appearance of evil.
So while we can evangelize and follow Jesus's example (like with trying to reach the lost), there is no example of us doing things that others may think the wrong thing about us (when it comes to other things).

I cannot judge your heart and life personally. I am judging the belief and not you personally. I just know that smoking or vaping can lead to health risks and damage to the body. 1 Corinthians 3:17 says if we defile our temple, God will destroy us. Edibles is a better and more discreet option and does not appear to damage the body like smoking and vaping does (that said, please see my important note below).

See this article here:
Edibles vs. Smoking and Vaping - Which Is Better? | Marijuana Doctors
(Important Note: Please know that I am not giving you official medical advice but a spiritual one; You should consult your doctor before making any official decision involving your medical health - of course).
well I think you're a bit influenced by the sensationalism in the media lately with vaping, as I said all the cases of injury or illness connected with vaping have been extracts/oils, which makes sense because of the specific type of illness (Eosinophilic Pneumonia). I just found vaping to be the way I can use to balance risk vs benefit. If I used edibles I'd get high more often (and while yes vaping can concentrate more cannabinoids than smoking, edibles last in your system longer and since people misdose a lot when using edibles, easier to get really wasted, to the point of people going to ER's thinking they're dying, the most wasted I've ever been involving Marijuana has been edibles because it wasn't working in 90 minutes so I took more)
I also want to point out that as wasted as I was when using the edibles. It paled in comparison to getting really hammered on alcohol. Wasted on marijuana I said I'm really sleepy I'm going to turn in for bed. Wasted on alcohol.. I wondered why I was laying on the hall floor the next morning I am beyond glad that I do not drink anymore. Military was a bad influence there.
As far as damage to the body goes, the only way that is going to halt is if God decides that enough is enough and He will end my illness supernaturally, but I have prayed for that and so far, it has not been His will.
2 Corinthians 12:9 is what I have to go on. I'm not promised good health or long life on this earth. I'm promised a new body and eternal life in the next.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP, it may come as some surprise to you as an American probably in a denomination that what is defined as some churches as sin was not considered sin in antiquity and I am not necessarily talking ancient history. Some men who are revered for their acts of service as founders of christian churches and their works in creation of theology or writers whose words are well known partook of the substances the church today call sin. As another poster put it is it beneficial to your body and to take it a step further to your soul? Sin causes separation from God. If what you do causes you to be like Adam and Eve ashamed and hiding from God you can be assured that is sin by default. That is a generality and not to be taken as the only indication of what is sin.

Upvote 0