Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If I can interject — It's always good to be mindful of what church body has produced the study Bible, because they do say different things. There's really no such thing as a "regular" or neutral study Bible. If you want something neutral, then you want to avoid study notes altogether and rely entirely on God's Word. :)

For a quick comparison, 1 Peter 3:21, says: "Baptism, which corresponds to [the flood], now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

Here's a note from the NIV Study Bible (Calvinism / Arminianism): "... In reality, believers are saved by what baptism symbolizes. ..."

And here's what the Lutheran Study Bible says: "... By grace, Baptism is a means of salvation through which the Holy Spirit produces faith (cf Ephesians 5:25-27) ..."

So, simply, the Bible says: "Baptism ... saves you ...", and the Calvinist and Arminian commentaries say "Baptism doesn't save you", but Lutheran, Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox say: "Baptism saves you."

If you want a good free commentary, I can recommend one I'm working on publishing, by Kretzmann. So far, Matthew, Mark, and Luke are online here: HOLY BIBLE – Luco
Which study Bible is quoted in your second paragraph 1 Peter 3:21? NKJV?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟407,266.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My church uses the ESV for Worship. I don’t know which Study Bible my pastor recommends but since we use the ESV during Worship I’d assume they’d recommend the ESV Study Bible too. No?

Which Lutheran Study Bible is good for a member of the LCMS?

Which study Bible is quoted in your second paragraph 1 Peter 3:21? NKJV?

Yeah, the LCMS tends to use the ESV, and they have published an ESV study Bible called The Lutheran Study Bible. You can find it in a few different sizes and designs, and several of them, if not all, can be found on Amazon. Some of them you may be able to get second hand for cheaper.

The second quote is from the same ESV Lutheran Study Bible.

LCMS also have another older study Bible, the NIV Concordia Self-Study Bible. This NIV translation is decent and easy to read, and the commentary is good as well. There are many other more comprehensive commentaries, but the ESV Lutheran Study Bible and the old NIV Concordia Self-Study Bible are good.

Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟46,016.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I already have several Bibles and I don’t really need another one but i was curious about the study notes so I compared the first note in Genesis with three of my NIV Study Bibles. They aren’t the same. Two say we have at least a billion galaxies, one says at least a trillion. I assume that the study notes are changed as more is learned.
They don't matter.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What does it say that you disagree with?
Well they have a different view of the sacraments, for instance. I use it as a resource among other study bibles. If you're looking for something you can use as a primary resource and that's in line with Lutheran theology, it may not be the best.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟751,987.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Last time I checked I owned 48 Bibles after giving away 7. If you any questions about a specific Bible I'll try to answer based on my experience with that particular Bible. I own the ESV Study Bible, Reformation Study Bible, etc. Although I'm done buying Bibles this one looks interesting, Anglican ESV with apocrypha.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Last time I checked I owned 48 Bibles after giving away 7. If you any questions about a specific Bible I'll try to answer based on my experience with that particular Bible. I own the ESV Study Bible, Reformation Study Bible, etc. Although I'm done buying Bibles this one looks interesting, Anglican ESV with apocrypha.
48? Wow! I thought I had a lot, at, I think 11. Most of those are Catholic Bibles from when I was a Catholic.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟751,987.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It's not good to be a hoarder. Give if you can.
I do give plenty of free Bibles usually to the homeless but they often use it to start fires at night to keep warm. I haven't given any Bibles away since I was shot at during a visit to the last encampment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do give plenty of free Bibles usually to the homeless but they often use it to start fires at night to keep warm. I haven't given any Bibles away since I was shot at during a visit to the last encampment.
That’s a shame.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Goodwill might take them off your hands.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟247,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's not good to be a hoarder. Give if you can.
I own hundreds of books. Last I checked, I own 15 or so Bibles. Not going to lie, I will probably buy more.

Blessings

Reactions: FaithT and JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟751,987.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Goodwill might take them off your hands.
Won't do that. These are premium editions, collectors items and so I like to build a relationship with someone and give them away. I gave away 7 last month.

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I own hundreds of books. Last I checked, I own 15 or so Bibles. Not going to lie, I will probably buy more.

Blessings
I’m glad it’s not just me buying so many. I bought the ESV Study Bible from Hobby Lobby tonight for Christmas.
Edit to add: the font is really small but i have a bad habit of not wearing my eyes (glasses) when I read. I put them on tonight and I could read it very well!

Last edited:
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I’m glad it’s not just me buying so many. I bought the ESV Study Bible from Hobby Lobby tonight for Christmas.
Edit to add: the font is really small but i have a bad habit of not wearing my eyes (glasses) when I read. I put them on tonight and I could read it very well!
I decided that the cover was too plain. They sell a plain one and another has swirly etchings on the cover. That’s what I thought I was getting since I didn’t take it out of the box and look. So today I ordered the exact one I want and it’s to be delivered. I’m going to return the other one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟158,896.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1700288332020.jpeg