Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now I’m looking for an ESV Study Bible, Jesus’ words in red letter, brown faux leather, under $55. Does anyone know where to find one? Or do they even make them? If they don’t, does anyone know of a really good similar translation in a Study Bible? My church uses the ESV. I have an ESV, which I love but it’s not a Study Bible.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Now I’m looking for an ESV Study Bible, Jesus’ words in red letter, brown faux leather, under $55. Does anyone know where to find one? Or do they even make them? If they don’t, does anyone know of a really good similar translation in a Study Bible? My church uses the ESV. I have an ESV, which I love but it’s not a Study Bible.
Also interested. I did get an ESV Catholic Edition with all the books but it has a paucity of notes. So not a Study Bible. Apparently the ESV owners did not license a Catholic Study Bible made of the ESV translation even though the Augustine Institute that printed mine wanted to do it.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Also interested. I did get an ESV Catholic Edition with all the books but it has a paucity of notes. So not a Study Bible. Apparently the ESV owners did not license a Catholic Study Bible made of the ESV translation even though the Augustine Institute that printed mine wanted to do it.
I already have several Bibles and I don’t really need another one but i was curious about the study notes so I compared the first note in Genesis with three of my NIV Study Bibles. They aren’t the same. Two say we have at least a billion galaxies, one says at least a trillion. I assume that the study notes are changed as more is learned.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I own this Bible as well.

FaithT, are you specifically looking for a Lutheran Study Bible?

God bless

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I already have several Bibles and I don’t really need another one but i was curious about the study notes so I compared the first note in Genesis with three of my NIV Study Bibles. They aren’t the same. Two say we have billions of galaxies, one says trillions. I assume that the study notes are changed as more is learned.
There are different points of view expressed in a Study Bible based on who creates it and who sponsors it. So what kind of study Bible it is would be highly relevant. In other words, you probably don't want just any sort of study Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I love Hobby Lobby.
You could see if they have it there and look through it. They have the best price I've seen. It does have a particular theological bias (which I don't always share) but overall the notes are very good and detailed and it has wonderful maps and pictures.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You could see if they have it there and look through it. They have the best price I've seen. It does have a particular theological bias (which I don't always share) but overall the notes are very good and detailed and it has wonderful maps and pictures.
Maybe I’ll go there tomorrow or Tuesday. I found one there online that’s on sale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,621.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, just a regular ESV Study Bible. What kinds of Lutheran Bibles are there?

If I can interject — It's always good to be mindful of what church body has produced the study Bible, because they do say different things. There's really no such thing as a "regular" or neutral study Bible. If you want something neutral, then you want to avoid study notes altogether and rely entirely on God's Word. :)

For a quick comparison, 1 Peter 3:21, says: "Baptism, which corresponds to [the flood], now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

Here's a note from the NIV Study Bible (Calvinism / Arminianism): "... In reality, believers are saved by what baptism symbolizes. ..."

And here's what the Lutheran Study Bible says: "... By grace, Baptism is a means of salvation through which the Holy Spirit produces faith (cf Ephesians 5:25-27) ..."

So, simply, the Bible says: "Baptism ... saves you ...", and the Calvinist and Arminian commentaries say "Baptism doesn't save you", but Lutheran, Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox say: "Baptism saves you."

If you want a good free commentary, I can recommend one I'm working on publishing, by Kretzmann. So far, Matthew, Mark, and Luke are online here: HOLY BIBLE – Luco

Reactions: FaithT
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If I can interject — It's always good to be mindful of what church body has produced the study Bible, because they do say different things. There's really no such thing as a "regular" or neutral study Bible. If you want something neutral, then you want to avoid study notes altogether and rely entirely on God's Word. :)

For a quick comparison, 1 Peter 3:21, says: "Baptism, which corresponds to [the flood], now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ"

Here's a note from the NIV Study Bible (Calvinism / Arminianism): "... In reality, believers are saved by what baptism symbolizes. ..."

And here's what the Lutheran Study Bible says: "... By grace, Baptism is a means of salvation through which the Holy Spirit produces faith (cf Ephesians 5:25-27) ..."

So, simply, the Bible says: "Baptism ... saves you ...", and the Calvinist and Arminian commentaries say "Baptism doesn't save you", but Lutheran, Anglican, Roman Catholic, and Eastern Orthodox say: "Baptism saves you."

If you want a good free commentary, I can recommend one I'm working on publishing, by Kretzmann. So far, Matthew, Mark, and Luke are online here: HOLY BIBLE – Luco
My church uses the ESV for Worship. I don’t know which Study Bible my pastor recommends but since we use the ESV during Worship I’d assume they’d recommend the ESV Study Bible too. No?

I just emailed a couple of my pastors about their recommendations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟157,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Which Lutheran Study Bible is good for a member of the LCMS?

Upvote 0