Distributed Freely by Back To The Bible
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 25, 2012
Topic: Salvation

Part of the Royal Family

Who do you think of when you think of a King or a Queen? The most well-known Queen right now is probably Queen Elizabeth II. While everyone knows of her, how many of her subjects do you think have personally met her? Probably not very many. Royals tend to be set apart from the common people. They live in a nice palace and don't normally go places the general public goes. The good news is, we have someone who is of even purer royalty--and He doesn't separate Himself from His people. His name is Jesus Christ.

Receive

"The Son radiates God's own glory and expresses the very character of God, and he sustains everything by the mighty power of his command. When he had cleansed us from our sins, he sat down in the place of honor at the right hand of the majestic God in heaven. This shows that the Son is far greater than the angels, just as the name God gave him is greater than their names" (Hebrews 1:3-6, NLT).

"This is how Jesus the Messiah was born. His mother, Mary, was engaged to be married to Joseph. But before the marriage took place, while she was still a virgin, she became pregnant through the power of the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 1:18, NLT).

What makes Jesus (the Son) so unique and special?
How does Jesus' power compare to the power of the angels?
How was Jesus conceived?

Reflect

Because He was conceived by God, Jesus' bloodline comes from God Himself. As a Christian, we are part of that lineage as well. We become an heir of God and a joint-heir with Christ. We become part of the royal family of Christ! The Bible says that Jesus is better than all the other kings of this world; in fact, He's the King of kings!

"For at just the right time Christ will be revealed from heaven by the blessed and only almighty God, the King of all kings and Lord of all lords" (1 Timothy 6:15, NLT).

What makes Christ the King of all kings in your life?
Do you live your life like you are an heir to God?
What kind of impact should our new relationship to God have on our lives?

Respond

Isn't it comforting to know that we serve the King of kings and Lord of lords! As a Christian, you are a child of the King and part of the royal family. Take some time today to pray and thank God for making you a part of His family. Thank Him for being an even better King because He wants to have an intimate relationship with you--one that we could never have with any earthly king.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 26, 2012
Topic: Jesus

Jesus the Forever King

We tend to think of Jesus as our Savior, the one who rescues us from sin and gives us access to heaven. Or we see Him as a miracle-worker, the one who taught us about how to live here and now. But how often do you stop and consider Jesus as your king? The Bible is full of references to Jesus as the eternal king, so let's take a look.

Receive

Kings come and go in our world; they reign; they die or are deposed. Other leaders are elected, overthrown or installed but none last forever. Only Jesus is the king who reigns eternally...beyond the reach of time past, time present and future time. Hebrews 1:8 says,

"Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
the scepter of uprightness is the scepter of your kingdom" (ESV).

Reading on, we see just how "eternal" or timeless and unchanging King Jesus is.

"You, Lord, laid the foundation of the earth in the beginning,
and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment,
like a robe you will roll them up,
like a garment they will be changed.
But you are the same,
and your years will have no end." (Hebrews 1:10-12, ESV).

And the prophet Isaiah described it this way:

"Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
on the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish it and to uphold it
with justice and with righteousness
from this time forth and forevermore" (Isaiah 9:7, ESV).

Why is this so important? Well, since Jesus is the King Eternal, you can trust Him to always be the one in charge. He is the king you can depend on, without change, without limitation, no matter what you experience here and now. No one can vote Him out or depose Him. Furthermore, because He will never die, you never have to worry that He will leave the kingdom to one who's less equipped to rule.

Reflect

As the king, Jesus has all the rights and privileges of rule over the whole earth--and that includes you. But He's no tyrant. He's a king who saves and serves. Look through these verses and describe the characteristics He has.

Isaiah 40:11
Ezekiel 34:23
Isaiah 9:6-7
Jeremiah 23:5
Daniel 7:13-14
Jeremiah 33:15-16
Zechariah 9:9
Colossians 1:11-14

How do these things influence your view of Jesus as king?
Why would you want to live under a king like this?

Respond

If you have the opportunity to meet a king or queen, you'll quickly discover it's serious business. There are rules to follow about what to wear, how to shake hands, what you can and can't say, when you show up, etc. There's no room to be casual or careless.

So how do you usually approach Jesus?
What needs to change if you take Him seriously as king?
What can you do to prepare to meet with Him?
What sort of respect or honor do you need to show Him?

What will you do today to meet Jesus as your king?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 30, 2012
Topic: Thankfulness, Christian Living/Situational, God

The One Who Never Changes

Have there been a lot of changes in your lifetime? If your answer was a resounding, "Yes!," you're not alone. The technology we used as kids is long gone, and so are the days of paying only a handful of change per gallon of gas! Change can be good or bad. But it often feels like we have more bad changes in life than good. If you're the type of person who doesn't handle change very well, then you can take comfort in knowing that there is Someone who will never change. Let's take a look at our Bible study today.

Receive

"He also says to the Son,
'In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundation of the earth
and made the heavens with your hands.
They will perish, but you remain forever.
They will wear out like old clothing.
You will fold them up like a cloak
and discard them like old clothing.
But you are always the same;
you will live forever'" (Hebrews 1:10-12, NLT).

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8, NLT).

According to these verses, what is going to wear out?
What is the one thing that will remain forever?
When will Jesus Christ change?

Reflect

This earth was created to wear out. Everything in it will eventually die. However, the Bible promises that God will never wear out like the rest of His creation. Even better, we are also promised that He will never change. Take a moment and think about change; when something or someone changes, they usually become better or worse. Ask yourself these questions:

If God did change for the better, then what kind of God is He today?
Why do you think God can't change?

Respond

What does it mean to you to know that God will never change? Take some time today to think about how having an unchanging God affects your life and your relationship with Him. Spend time in prayer thanking Him for His unchanging ways.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 31, 2012
Topic: Faith/Trust

Who's Better Than Jesus

You know, my first thought when I looked at the title of today's study (Who's Better Than Jesus) was of Abbott and Costello's classic comedy routine, Who's On First? In that routine, the comedy was built around a misunderstanding: The first baseman had the unusual nickname of "Who." Now, there may have been very few men like "Who" when it came to playing first base (or Abbott and Costello when it came to comedy). But when it comes to restoring our relationship with God, there's no one like Jesus.

Many people make that mistake, though; and the result isn't comical, it's tragic. Nothing and no one is better than Jesus. And when we put our trust in anything other than Him, the results will be disastrous.

Receive

In Hebrews we've seen how Jesus is better at providing everything you and I really need.

"But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises" (Hebrews 8:6, NKJV).

Jesus is the author of a better covenant--essentially the terms of our relationship with God. Under the Old Covenant, yearly sacrifices were required to cover the sins of the people. But Jesus died once to pay for sins once and for all time. All of us can now have a relationship with God knowing that when we trust Christ, He washes away our sins forever. Apart from Jesus, a relationship with God would be impossible.

Jesus also provides hope. "On the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God" (Hebrews 7:19, NKJV). A lot of movies and novels will make much of the fact that hope will sustain a person in even the darkest times. But in those stories the hope is usually for family or a return home. How much more powerful is the hope Jesus brings! "This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast" (Hebrews 6:19, NKJV).

Many people make promises to us, but only Jesus can supply everything we really need. He's the only One we can truly trust.

Reflect

So, what are your thoughts? Is it easy or hard to believe that Jesus is better than anything we can put our trust in? What have you seen that makes it easy? What makes it hard? What is one specific thing you can do today to show Jesus you trust Him?

Respond

Take an inventory of how trusting Jesus has made your life better. As you think of these blessings, turn them into praise. Thank God for everything He's done for you. Let the memory of God's faithfulness in the past fuel your trust in the future.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 1, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational, Bible Characters

Looking Up

Not everyone is a fan of roller coasters. Even if you enjoyed them as a kid, when you got older your enthusiasm for riding them probably wore off. Nowadays your stomach gets queasy just thinking about those loops and hills, and you'd much rather keep your feet firmly planted on the ground. If that's you, then there's an easy solution--avoid roller coasters. The problem is the unexpected roller-coaster-like ups and downs in life. One minute you're up and the next you're down. So, what do you do when you find yourself riding that kind of rollercoaster? Let's take a look.

Receive

Jonah was a guy who truly lived with the ups and the downs. His story starts out as an up. "Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, 'Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry out against it; for their wickedness has come up before Me'" (Jonah 1:1-2, NKJV). Not many people can say the Word of the Lord came to them--what an up!

God called Jonah to do some very important work for Him. But Jonah refused to obey, and here comes his downfall. "But Jonah got up and went in the opposite direction to get away from the LORD" (Jonah 1:3, NLT).

So, what did God do? "Now the LORD had arranged for a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights" (Jonah 1:17, NLT). God sent a big fish to swallow Jonah--you can't get much lower than the belly of a fish!

Then Jonah's life began to look up:

"Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from inside the fish. He said,
I cried out to the LORD in my great trouble,
and he answered me" (Jonah 2:1-2, NLT).

"Those who worship false gods
turn their backs on all God's mercies.
But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise,
and I will fulfill all my vows.
For my salvation comes from the LORD alone" (Jonah 2:8-9, NLT).

"Then the LORD spoke to Jonah a second time" (Jonah 3:1, NLT).

Think about this:

What did Jonah do when he found himself at his lowest point?

Who is the only person who can rescue us when we've hit rock bottom?

Did God give up on Jonah when he messed up, or did He give him a second chance?

Reflect

We're often stubborn people who like to be in control; we want to run our own lives. But as we see from the life of Jonah, trying to run your own life will only get you into "deep" trouble.

Are you going through a down time? You're probably not living in the belly of a great fish, but maybe something has you knocked down and you just can't seem to get back up.

Ask yourself: Am I looking up to God to deliver me, or am I trying to do this on my own?

The story of Jonah reminds us that we serve a forgiving and loving God. Jonah shows us that God not only rescues us, He gives us a second chance!

Respond

Our part is really being willing and letting God do His part. Whatever hurt, pain or sin you're trapped in--whatever has you flattened, look up! Look to God and ask Him to rescue you.

Life is full of ups and downs but God is there to lift us back up and deliver us from those low points. We just have to let Him.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 2, 2012
Topic: God's Care

God In Your Life

All of us go through dark days in our lives. And many of us who are familiar with God's Word turn to a Bible verse like this one for comfort:

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil
for you are with me" (Psalm 23:4, ESV).

But did you know that God walks with you in the good times too?

Receive

You read verse 4 above and saw one instance when God walks with you. If you look at verses 1 through 3, you'll see other situations when God's presence is apparent.

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want" (Psalm 23:1, ESV).

A good shepherd never lets his sheep just wander. He guides them; He knows when the sheep need food or water and leads the flocks to places where that need can be met.

"He makes me lie down in green pastures" (Psalm 23:2, ESV).

There is hardly a more idyllic scene than a green field under a crystal blue sky. It's a place of peace and happiness. And it's a place you'll only find while following the Good Shepherd.

"He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul" (Psalm 23:2-3, ESV).

In John 4, Jesus met a woman whose soul was in desperate need of restoring. She had been with five husbands, and those relationships had not relieved her dissatisfaction with life. Jesus said, "Whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:14, ESV).

Jesus, our Good Shepherd, leads us to the still, deep waters which will restore our soul. He leads us to Himself and to a relationship that will satisfy our deepest longings.

"He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake" (Psalm 23:3, ESV).

God wants to see you succeed in life, not just because it's best for you but because it brings Him glory as well. He does this by leading us on the paths of righteousness--where we meet the challenges of this world God's way--where we live by godly virtues and not by the world's wisdom.

Reflect

With God as our shepherd, we are the sheep. But we're sheep with a choice. Every day you have numerous opportunities to plot your own course in life or to follow the Shepherd's leading. What choice will you make today?

Respond

Tonight, set aside half an hour and look back over your day. Take a pen and a piece of paper and write down every instance you can think of when God was leading you. Were there any times you fought Him? Were there any times you choose to follow God? Were there any times God may have been leading and you weren't even aware of it at the time?

Let God remind you today that He's always walking with you, always ready to lead you to those green pastures and still waters, not just in the dark times but every other time as well.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 3, 2012
Topic: Obedience/Discipleship

Aw, Lord, Do I Have To?

Bible translators who work with languages that are not yet put into writing often struggle to find the right word or phrase to convey the correct meaning of a portion of Scripture. One worker hunted long to find a way to translate the word obedience into the tribal language he was recording but had no success.

One day, the translator was going for a walk; and he whistled for his dog to come with him. The dog immediately ran to its owner. An old tribal man who saw what happened said to the missionary, "Your dog is all ear."

The missionary immediately knew he had the exact phrase to express obedience.

Are you "all ear" when it comes to obeying God? Let's look at some lessons about obedience and disobedience today.

Receive

Read this from Luke 5:4-8 (ESV):

"And when [Jesus] had finished speaking, he said to Simon, 'Put out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch' And Simon answered, 'Master, we toiled all night and took nothing! But at your word I will let down the nets.' And when they had done this, they enclosed a large number of fish, and their nets were breaking. They signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, 'Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord.'"

Jesus ran an "obedience school" for His disciples. He wanted them to learn to trust Him absolutely in every area of life. Peter hadn't been a disciple very long. He was weary from a night of unsuccessful fishing, and he felt he knew far more about fishing than Jesus did. But Jesus told him, "Go back out there on the water and try again."

Peter revealed his reluctance as he replied, "OK, Master, if you say so."

When the boats almost sank from the weight of the fish, Peter realized how sinful his attitude had been. He fell on his knees and said, "Lord, don't have anything more to do with this sinful man!"

Reflect

It's pretty irritating when your dog doesn't come the first or second time you call, isn't it? And you might say that it's downright infuriating when the dog just totally ignores you and keeps on doing its own thing when you call!

If a person willfully disobeys God, that is one thing; if he or she delays or reluctantly obeys God, that is another. But do you see how both attitudes show lack of faith?

Here is a Bible record of a person who willfully disobeyed God: Read 1 Kings 11:4-11.

Who was the person who disobeyed?
What did he do that angered God?
How many times had God told him not to do what he did?
What was the outcome of this person's disobedience?

Now, look at another person who was reluctant to obey God but changed his mind and later obeyed. Open your Bible to the Book of Exodus, chapters 3 and 4, and look at these verses about God's command to Moses to deliver the people of Israel from slavery in Egypt.

What did God want Moses to do (Exodus 3:10)?
What was Moses' first response to God's order (Exodus 3:11)?
What was Moses' second response (Exodus 4:1)?
What was his third response to God's order (Exodus 4:10)?
What was Moses' fourth reaction to God's command (Exodus 4:13)?
What was God's response to Moses' continuing reluctance to obey (Exodus 4:14-17)?

Someone has said, "Delayed obedience is disobedience." As long as you are reluctant to obey and you hold off doing something that God has told you to do, no matter what your intentions are, you are disobeying the Lord. And if you do finally get around to obeying, the blessing will never be as great as if you had obeyed the moment the Lord showed you what you should do.

Respond

Is God revealing anything to you these days that you ought to be doing but are delaying to do because of your lack of faith? Is there any area of your life where you are willfully disobeying Him?

Read Matthew 21:28-31 to see something Jesus had to say about willful disobedience and reluctant, delayed obedience.

Determine that you will no longer delay. Take the first step today to be obedient to God.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 6, 2012
Topic: Jesus, God, Faith/Trust

Trust Jesus

Whenever a character in a movie or on TV says "Trust me," you get the feeling you probably shouldn't trust him at all. And if he says "Trust me, I know what I'm doing," then it's probably time for everyone in the scene to clear out! It's just not going to be good.

Not so with Jesus. When He says, "Trust Me," you can not only trust Him completely, but you should. And He definitely knows what He's doing.

Receive

In John 13, as Jesus washed His disciples' feet, Peter was confused. Jesus told him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but afterward you will understand" (John 13:7, ESV). This is probably the hardest part of trusting Jesus--not knowing or understanding what He's doing in our lives. But He also tells us, "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me" (John 14:1, NLT).

You see, learning to put your trust in God and in Jesus is essential for growing to spiritual maturity. It's not blind trust: God gives us plenty of evidence throughout His Word that He is worthy of our complete trust, even when we don't fully understand. Just read the stories of Abraham, Joseph, Daniel, David and many others.

And there are benefits to trusting God. Look at Nahum 1:7:
"The LORD is good,
a strong refuge when trouble comes.
He is close to those who trust in him" (NLT).

What about Psalm 56:3-4:
"But when I am afraid,
I will put my trust in you.
I praise God for what he has promised.
I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortals do to me?" (NLT)

Or Psalm 52:8: "But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God.
I will always trust in God's unfailing love." (NLT)

Reflect

Proverbs 3:5-6 has familiar instructions for trusting God. Look at these verses with a these questions in mind:

How much are you supposed to trust God?
What part of your heart or mind struggles with trusting Him?
What's the extent of your own understanding of life's issues?
Why would leaning on God's understanding be better?
What are the benefits you've found in trusting God?

Respond

When Jesus says, "Trust Me," the hard part is usually getting over that "doubt reflex"--the one that makes us say, "Not likely!" Do a self-check to see what's holding you back.

What has He asked you to trust Him with lately? Your future plans? Your money? Your marriage? Your children? Your time?

What's making you question His ability to deliver or His understanding of your situation?

If you're judging God's trustworthiness based on your experience with people, ask Him to change your standard. It should really be the other way around.

Now, in your head or on paper, take your trust questions and lay them out; look them over and take a few minutes to commit them to God. Put them "in trust" with Him, just as you'd commit important documents to a lawyer or banker. Then ask God to fulfill in you what Paul prayed for believers in Romans 15:13: "I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit" (NLT).

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 7, 2012
Topic: Forgiveness/Unforgiveness

He's Faithful

Are you like Jesus' disciple, Peter? Or are you more like Judas? Now, first of all, when I ask, "Are you more like Judas?," I'm not asking, "Are you the type who would betray Jesus?" And I'm not asking, "Are you the type who would disown Jesus in public?"

I'm asking, how do you respond when you have messed up? Do you respond like Peter or Judas?

Receive

There's one constant among all human beings: we're all sinners. We've all disappointed God. In this regard, we are all like Peter; and we are all like Judas.

But there's another constant to consider. Paul, in his second letter to Timothy tells us, "If we are faithless, he remains faithful--for he cannot deny himself" (2 Timothy 2:13-14, ESV). That means God always keeps His promises; His faithfulness is part of what makes Him God.

So, back to our original question: when faced with your own unfaithful tendency in the light of God's unwavering faithfulness, are you like Peter or more like Judas?

Peter must have felt very ashamed because he disowned Jesus--especially after boldly declaring he would die before he would desert Jesus (See John 13:37). But when the resurrected Christ appeared on the shore where Peter and the others were fishing, Peter couldn't make himself wait until the slow boat returned to shore to be in the presence of his Lord. Soon after Peter reaffirmed his love for Jesus.

Judas also felt remorse for his actions. But instead of going back to the ever-faithful God, Judas took his own life. He chose to ignore the faithfulness of God

Reflect

Too many people spend their time dwelling on their own faults. But instead of bemoaning our faithlessness, we should be praising God's faithfulness. If you've been wandering away from God lately, be like Peter and return to Him. Don't let the devil convince you that God could never love you again. There isn't a person alive who hasn't disappointed God in some way. Today the choice is yours: either dwell in your misery or rejoice in God's faithfulness.

Respond

First John 1:9 tells us, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (ESV). If you have been unfaithful, confess it to God. Confession means to admit to God that you've sinned against Him. There is no other way to experience the forgiveness, love and joy of God your Father.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 8, 2012
Topic: New Life

Take Responsibility

It's not my fault: "My family was dysfunctional." "The devil made me do it." "He did it first." "My wife is mean." "The teacher was unfair." It's the blame game. Human nature always causes us to shy away from taking personal responsibility for our actions--especially when it comes to sinning. Instead we look for a scapegoat to blame or a way to rationalize our actions. The Bible is clear that the God who knows all, sees all and reads the human heart always and only holds the responsible person accountable.

Receive

"For all people are mine to judge--both parents and children alike. And this is my rule: The person who sins is the one who will die...The child will not be punished for the parent's sins, and the parent will not be punished for the child's sins. Righteous people will be rewarded for their own righteous behavior, and wicked people will be punished for their own wickedness" (Ezekiel 18:4,20, NLT).

"Does God relish the thought of punishing? Let's see what His Word says:

Do you think that I like to see wicked people die? says the Sovereign LORD. Of course not! I want them to turn from their wicked ways and live" (Ezekiel 18:23, NLT).

So, God makes this promise to all:

"But if wicked people turn away from all their sins and begin to obey my decrees and do what is just and right, they will surely live and not die. All their past sins will be forgotten, and they will live because of the righteous things they have done" (Ezekiel 18:21-22, NLT).

"Therefore, I will judge each of you, O people of Israel, according to your actions, says the Sovereign LORD. Repent, and turn from your sins. Don't let them destroy you! Put all your rebellion behind you, and find yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. For why should you die, O people of Israel? I don't want you to die, says the Sovereign LORD. Turn back and live!" (Ezekiel 18:30-32, NLT).

Reflect

God says that you can have a new heart and a new spirit. That's more than a heart transplant--that's a radical transformation! That means being changed from the inside out. Is that possible?

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17, NKJV).

Does that make sense to your head as well as your heart? God holds us personally responsible for all of our sins: thoughts, attitudes, words, actions. He does that so we can choose to acknowledge our sins, take full responsibility for them, repent of them and choose to turn to Christ so we can be forgiven and receive a new heart and a new spirit from God.

Respond

None of us appreciate irresponsibility in others. God not only does not like it, He does not allow it. But He does give us the opportunity to be responsible. Today, choose to accept responsibility for your life--acknowledge your irresponsibility to God and choose to accept His forgiveness and new life. Knowing that God gets no pleasure from punishing you but delights in giving you a new spirit and a new heart, it's your choice. You, and you alone, are responsible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
✟7,694.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Awesome bible study, Tom! It is so hard for many of us to admit our faults in anything. It is always the other person's fault. I pray that we all take heed to what you shared with us, and begin to take responsibility for our actions and go forward. Taking responsibility does not mean that we should feel so guilty that we wallow in guilt and shame. We acknowledge our wrongdoing, ask for forgiveness, and move forward towards God, casting the weight of our cares upon Him for He is able to bear them. Amen!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Awesome bible study, Tom! It is so hard for many of us to admit our faults in anything. It is always the other person's fault. I pray that we all take heed to what you shared with us, and begin to take responsibility for our actions and go forward. Taking responsibility does not mean that we should feel so guilty that we wallow in guilt and shame. We acknowledge our wrongdoing, ask for forgiveness, and move forward towards God, casting the weight of our cares upon Him for He is able to bear them. Amen!

Another Amen!

I'm happy that you enjoyed the Bible Minute. I do also, and I look forward to getting them regularly by email.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 9, 2012
Topic: Sin/Temptation

Stopping the Spiral

In aviation the situation is known by many names: death spiral, graveyard spiral, suicide spiral, vicious spiral. In all cases the affected airplane heads downward for a one-point landing--cockpit first. All types of airplanes can be caught in this phenomenon, and it is something that even seasoned pilots can experience. And as the names imply, the result is usually deadly.

The Bible also talks about a spiral--a spiritual spiral--that is equally deadly. Let's see what the Bible says about that spiral and how we can get out of it.

Receive

"But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death" (James 1:14-15, ESV).

"So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart" (2 Timothy 2:22, ESV).

With what do our temptations begin?
Yielding to this temptation results in what?
What is the ultimate outcome?

Reflect

Notice that in 2 Timothy 2:22 Paul gives the steps for dealing with this issue of temptation. First he says to "flee." Don't hang around places where you might be tempted. Then secondly, actively pursue those things which will build up your spiritual life. If our lives are filled with things which produce righteousness, faith, love and peace, there will be little room for temptation to get a foothold. And thirdly, make friends with godly people. If the wrong company can corrupt us (1 Corinthians 15:33), the right company can strengthen us to overcome temptation.

Respond

If you are caught in a deadly spiral of sin, determine how you can apply the steps above to pull out of this spiral. Are there places you need to avoid? Are there activities such as Bible study, regular attendance at church, daily devotions and consistent prayer time that you need to add to your schedule? In addition, are your friends helping or hindering your walk with the Lord. If they aren't helping, then it's time to look for some new friends.

Select one of these steps to work on this week.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 10, 2012
Topic: Sin/Temptation

Patterns of Temptation

Two Korean soldiers were joking and laughing as they walked along a path to join their unit. The war had been over for months, so there seemed to be no danger to worry about. One of the men suddenly spotted something shiny in the ditch beside the path. Stepping aside, he reached down to retrieve the object. There was a deafening explosion as a land mine went off and when the dust settled, the soldier lay dead and his companion had both legs blown off. A sign they had just walked by read, "Danger, Stay on Path."

God's Word puts up some danger signs to warn you about temptation as you walk on your daily spiritual journey.

Receive

James 1:12-15 (ESV)
"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him. Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God," for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."

How does this happen? Let's look at some people who were tempted to do wrong and ended up in a tangle of sin and shame.

Read Genesis 3:1-10 and re-read verses 6 and 7.

What did Eve see?
What did she desire?
What did she do?
Why did Adam and Eve hide? (3:10)
What happened as a result of their sin? (see Genesis 3:22-24)

When Joshua led the people of Israel into the Promised Land, the first city they conquered was Jericho. God told the people that they were to keep none of the captured goods for themselves, but a man named Achan disobeyed and was later caught with the stolen things. Look up Achan's confession in Joshua 7:20-22.

What did Achan see?
What was his temptation about what he saw?
What did he do to satisfy his desires?
What happened because of his sin? (see Joshua 7:24-26)

Reflect

Do you see the pattern of temptation? They saw something...they desired it...they took it for themselves...they hid the results as well as they could from God and man, but they were caught and had to face the consequences.

The same thing happened to David in his adultery with Bathsheba. He saw her; he desired her; he took her. Then David tried every way he could think of to hide the sin, but he suffered tragic consequences for the rest of his life (see 2 Samuel 11 and 12).

Do you wonder what resources God has given us to ward off the temptations Satan brings our way? Here is some help. Look up the Bible answers to these questions:

What does Jesus say about how we should regularly pray against Satan's temptations? (Matthew 6:13 and Matthew 26:41).
If you are tempted, is there any way out before you fall into sin? (1Corinthians 10:13).

Respond

First Corinthians 10:13 says that temptation is a common experience for all people.

Someone once said of temptation, "You can't keep the birds from flying over your head, but you can keep them from nesting in your hair!"

Take some time right now to consider whether there are some weak spots in your life--an old habit, a wrong pattern of activity or a desire for something that requires disobedience to God in order to get. If you identify a weakness, ask the Lord now to give you strength and to deliver you from the temptations of the evil one.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 13, 2012
Topic: Prayer

A Critical Conversation

Think of one of your closest relationships. Maybe it's with a spouse, a sibling or a best friend. Now, ask yourself, How often do I talk to that person? What do I talk about? More than likely, you'll find that you talk to him or her all the time and about everything! Our relationship with God should be like that as well. In fact, it should be our number one priority. He should be our closest friend, yet many times we talk to Him the least! Is prayer really just talking to God? Are there certain things I have to do and say? Sometimes we don't pray because we get confused about what prayer is really all about.

Receive

"Yet you don't have what you want because you don't ask God for it" (James 4:2, NLT).

"If I had not confessed the sin in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened" (Psalm 66:18 NLT).

"It's your sins that have cut you off from God.
Because of your sins, he has turned away
and will not listen anymore" (Isaiah 59:2, NLT).

"Are any of you suffering hardships? You should pray. Are any of you happy? You should sing praises" (James 5:13, NLT).

Consider these questions:

What is one of the reasons we don't get what we pray for?

What causes God not to hear our prayers?

When are we to pray?

Reflect

Prayer is our communication with God. It's our way to spend time with God and strengthen our relationship with Him. Prayer is about thanking Him for everything He's done for us; it's confessing our sins. Prayer is asking God for the things we want and need. Some people only go to God when they need something. Others only go to God when things are rough. What kind of friend would you be if you only talked to a person when you needed something from him or her?

Ask yourself:

How often do I spend time talking with God in prayer?

When do I pray? Is it just when I need something?

Am I making sure that there is no known sin in my life so my relationship with God can grow?

Respond

We are called to consistently pray (1 Thessalonians 5:17). We don't just have to pray before our meals or during our usual devotional times. We can pray any time of the day. Spend some time today giving your prayer life a serious check up. Think about when you normally pray and what you are praying for. If you need to, make a list. Write down all the things that you're thankful for, all the things you need to ask God for, etc.

If we learn to view prayer as our way of communicating with God and developing our relationship with Him, our attitude toward prayer will completely change--and, more importantly, our relationship with God will grow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 14, 2012
Topic: Prayer, Sin/Temptation

How You Treat God

If I were to start treating my boss like a servant, you can bet I would experience some consequences pretty quickly. If I were to start treating my best friend like a common criminal, he wouldn't be my best friend for long.

It's obvious: the way I treat the people in my life will directly affect the way they treat me. Does the same rule apply to the relationship I have with God? Yes, it can. While God's faithfulness to us never changes, our attitudes and actions can cause His responses toward us to change considerably!

Receive

"'Is it too light a thing for the house of Judah to commit the abominations that they commit here, that they should fill the land with violence and provoke me still further to anger.... Therefore I will act in wrath....And though they cry in my ears with a loud voice, I will not hear them'" (Ezekiel 8:17-18, ESV).

"If I had cherished iniquity in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened" (Psalm 66:18 ESV).

While it's not an exhaustive list, look at Proverbs 6:16-19 and list the items mentioned that are an abomination to the Lord.
What does it mean to cherish iniquity in your heart"?

Reflect

It feels almost blasphemous to say that there are times when God doesn't hear my prayers, but there it is in the Bible. But along with the predicament (God not hearing my prayers), the Bible also points out the problem: my sin. Not just the sin that comes as a result of being chained to a corrupted body (See Romans 7:18.) but the sinful habits and lifestyles we hold on to even after accepting Christ.

This isn't God being petty and juvenile. This is God saying, "I take this relationship seriously, and I want you to demonstrate that you take it just as seriously."

Respond

Are you feeling like God isn't hearing your prayers? It could be a test--God is demonstrating whether you will be faithful even if you don't feel His presence or see His hand responding to your prayers. On the other hand, there could abominations (sin) in your life. Ask God to show you anything in your life that is displeasing to Him. Use the list in Proverbs 6:16-19 as a starting point to reveal any thing that might be hindering your prayers.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 15, 2012
Topic: Prayer, Christian Living/Situational, God

How You Treat God - 2

Are you ever surprised by Scripture? Not just amazed but almost unable to believe a specific passage is actually in the Bible? Jeremiah felt the same astonishment when he heard God tell him that his prayers for the Israelites were just a waste of time.

Receive

"Pray no more for these people, Jeremiah. Do not weep or pray for them, and don't beg me to help them, for I will not listen to you" (Jeremiah 7:16, NLT)

Why would God tell Jeremiah that? Don't you think He wants His people to pray for each other? What is the difference in this situation? God explained it to Jeremiah. The difference was because of how the people had treated God. They had defiled God's house, lived wicked lives, refused to repent; and they had to bear the consequences.

"Don't you yourselves admit that this Temple, which bears my name, has become a den of thieves? Surely I see all the evil going on there. I, the Lord, have spoken!" (Jeremiah 7:11 NLT)

Reflect

God is a God who expects to be treated like God. And any nation, any people who live like they don't need God should not be naive enough to believe that God will ignore their behavior and also help them whenever they ask.

Is God a God of grace, a God of mercy, a God of goodness and love? Most certainly! But He is also a just and holy and fair God. And we, especially His children, should treat God like the God He is. Or we might discover that one day our prayers will be left unanswered because God is not listening.

Respond

Does this seem right to you? Is God being mean and vindictive? Or is God refusing to bless sin and rebellion? Praying and asking for God's help does not begin when we voice our needs and troubles to Him. Our prayers and our behavior are inescapably related. Our prayers are nullified when we live lives of rebellion toward God.

Understand that, today, the way you live reflects what you truly think of God. Ask for His help, and commit to do your best to walk worthy of your God.

"Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling, for you have been called by God" (Ephesians 4:1 NLT).

"Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better" (Colossians 1:10 NLT).

"We pleaded with you, encouraged you, and urged you to live your lives in a way that God would consider worthy. For he called you to share in his Kingdom and glory" (1 Thessalonians 2:12 NLT).

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 16, 2012

First Things First

"First things first"--you've heard that before, haven't you? Your mom yelled, "Come to lunch! Wash your hands first!"

Your boss told you, "Don't ever take out the company car without checking the oil first."

Your spouse warned, "I just vacuumed the carpet. Take your shoes off before you come in."

You know your car won't start unless you turn the ignition key first, and you can't read your email without booting up the computer first; but did you know there is a "first thing first" in prayer too? Let's see what the Lord says.

Receive

You are probably aware that your relationship to God should be right if you expect Him to answer your prayers. Proverbs 15:29 (ESV) says:

"The LORD is far from the wicked,
but he hears the prayer of the righteous."

But there's another condition to be met before your prayers can be effective--something that Jesus said you need to consider before you approach God. He said: "So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift" (Matthew 5:23-24, ESV).

"And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses" (Mark 11:25, ESV).

Jesus is saying that "first things first" applies when we go to the Lord in prayer. God looks at our prayers as offerings to Him (See Revelation 8:4.). If you go to the altar of prayer and your brother has something against you, your offering won't be acceptable to the Lord until you have restored your human relationships. If you go to prayer with an unforgiving spirit, God will be deaf until you have first forgiven the one who offended you.

Reflect

Look up these verses and answer the questions:

Psalm 145:18--What is God's condition for nearness to those who call on Him?
Proverbs 15:8--Whose prayer is acceptable to God?
Proverbs 28:9--Whose prayer is an abomination?
John 15:7--Who may ask what they wish, and it will be done?

Respond

You should be very careful about rushing into the presence of God. A little preparation time before you go to the Lord can help you be on better "praying ground." Yes, Christ has given us the right to appear confidently before the throne of grace (Hebrews 4:16), but He has also warned us not to appear disobediently.

Set aside a few minutes in your devotional time to prepare to meet with the Lord. Ask Him to show you anything in your life that is hindering prayer. Try doing this for the next several days and see if it doesn't make a difference in the way you come before the Lord. Keep the first things first.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 20, 2012
Topic: Bible Study/Theories

How You Treat the Bible - 2

You come to this Bible Minute website to learn what God says about your life here on earth and in eternity. You come because you want to know more about God Himself and your relationship to Him. Perhaps you have come because you are searching for answers to needs you are experiencing in your life.

Bible illiteracy--ignorance of what the Bible says and what it has to do with life--is a disgrace around the world today. In America hundreds of thousands have Bibles, but they neglect them. These Bible Minutes are written to help you get to know God's Word better and apply its lessons to your life.

Reading God's Word with understanding begins with knowing some very basic facts about the Bible itself. Pick up your Bible and let's look at some of those things today.

Receive

First, look at two statements from Psalm 119. This is a wonderful psalm. It is the longest chapter in the Bible and nearly every verse says something about God's Word.

Psalm 119:89 (ESV)
"Forever, O LORD, your word
is firmly fixed in the heavens."

What does this verse tell you about God's Word?

Psalm 119:160 (ESV)
"The sum of your word is truth,
and every one of your righteous rules endures forever."

What insight into God's Word does this verse give you?

Reflect

With the kind of book described in Psalm 119 in your hands, you'll want to understand it as completely as possible. Your most important responsibility is to read it. As you read it, ask God to give you understanding and life-changing insights.

Many resources are available to help you better understand your Bible. Here are some suggestions. It will help you to consult a trusted pastor or Christian leader about which books are good, since there are also some bad ones out there.

A Bible dictionary. You may look up names, places and unfamiliar words. It will also give you brief outlines of each book of the Bible and biographical information on each person.
A concordance. Some Bibles have this included. A concordance is a list of Bible words with the verse references where they are found. Be sure your concordance is for the Bible version you use since Greek and Hebrew words are not always translated exactly the same way in every version.
A Bible commentary. Start with a one-or two-volume commentary. Commentaries cover each book of the Bible in order and shed some light on each section. There are also separate commentaries by trustworthy scholars that deal with individual Bible books.
If your budget is too tight to obtain these study helps, one of your best starter purchases would be a good study Bible. These Bibles contain many notes and helps that are found in commentaries or dictionaries. They usually contain a reasonably good concordance.
In our day, there are many Bible study resources on the Internet such as this one, but be careful! Cults and false teachers also use the Internet.

Respond

Today's Bible Minute study is a bit different because we want to help you dig deeper into God's Word and learn how to apply it to your life. We pray for you to be one of the "biblically literate.″

Dr. Woodrow Kroll says, "God only wrote one Book. And in that one Book, He reveals to us what's on His heart and what's on His mind. Now, if we don't care enough about God to read what He said to us, why would we think that God would be eager to answer our prayers?"

Now, take some time to investigate God's marvelous Book and look up the following verses in Psalm 119. Write down what each of the verses says God's Word will do for you.

Psalm 119:105
Psalm 119:9
Psalm 119:11
Psalm 119:42
Psalm 119:169
Psalm 119:16

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 22, 2012

Hindrances to Prayer - 2

Oh my! Brake lights flashing up ahead; traffic's slowing down. What's the problem? Train? Accident? Construction? Flat tire? Whatever it is, it can hinder you from getting where you're going. Hindrances in our physical lives are no fun, neither are the hindrances that can interfere with our prayer lives.

Receive

If I regard iniquity in my heart,
The Lord will not hear" (Psalm 66:18 NKJV).

Sin in our lives hinders us from getting through to God. But even Christians sin, don't they? True. Only when we get to heaven will we be completely free from sin and 100 percent delivered from sinning.

So, what is the Bible saying? Perhaps another translation would help us understand.

Psalm 66:18, "If I had cherished sin in my heart,
the Lord would not have listened" (NIV).

What does the Psalmist identify as a hindrance that interferes with our prayers?

Sin that we hold onto, sins that we refuse to let go, sins that become part of our lifestyle--these are hindrances that keep God from answering our prayers. Such things also interrupt our fellowship with God, keep us from spending time in His Word, dilute the joy in our lives, interfere with our worship and undermine our assurance and trust in God.

Are there any hindrances in your spiritual life?

Are there any situations or relationships that are not pleasing to God that you are holding onto?

Reflect

What will remove those hindrances? The apostle John gives us the steps in 1 John 1:8-9, "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness" (NIV).

According to John, what is the first step?

What does God promise to do?

Deal with the sin. Acknowledge it; confess it; and turn away from it. Then, let it go; walk away from it; get rid of it; don't go there; get new friends; make a clean break with that sin.

Can you do that? Not on your own. How does Philippians 2:13 below encourage you?

"For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose" (Philippians 2:13, NIV).

What does this scripture teach you about God's help?

Who is working in you?

For what reason is God working in you?

Respond

Take time now to shore up your prayer life. Set aside those hindrances and spend time in prayer, enjoying intimate fellowship with the Lord, confident that God is listening to your prayers.

Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless.

And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His Word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my every care,
And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!*

*"Sweet Hour of Prayer," William W. Walford and William B. Bradbury. Public Domain.

Upvote 0