Distributed Freely by Back To The Bible
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 16, 2013
Topic: Jesus, Obedience/Discipleship

Denying Jesus

In Durrenmatt's radio play, The Double, Diego tells Pedro (his double) that he [Pedro] will be executed for murder. Pedro protests: He never killed anyone and never would.

Diego confesses that he committed the murder but informs Pedro that, had he been in Diego's circumstances, he would have done the same. Pedro vigorously denies he would ever commit such a crime. But before the play is over, Pedro commits murder--not once but twice.

Receive

The apostle Peter was positive that he would never deny Jesus; yet, Peter's denial of his Lord is one of the most poignant narratives in the Bible. Jesus told Peter about his soon-to-occur failure during the Last Supper:

"Jesus said to him, 'Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.' Peter said to him, 'Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!' And all the disciples said the same" (Matthew 26:34-35, ESV).

What in this exchange between Jesus and Peter stands out to you?
Why was Peter so sure of himself?
Which of the disciples made the same claim?

After Jesus and His disciples finished eating, they went to the Garden of Gethsemane so Jesus could pray. It was there Judas betrayed Him. Read about it in Matthew 26 verses 47 and 56. Then answer the questions below.

Approximately how much time elapsed between Jesus' encounter with Peter and the time that Judas and the crowd arrived to take Jesus?
What was the crowd carrying?
How did Jesus' disciples respond?

Now, read Matthew 26:57-72.

Where did the crowd take Jesus immediately after they left the Garden?
Where was Peter while Jesus was being taken from the Garden to the residence?
Where did Peter remain while Jesus was taken inside?

"A little later some of the other bystanders came over to Peter and said, 'You must be one of them; we can tell by your Galilean accent.'

"Peter swore, 'A curse on me if I'm lying--I don't know the man!' And immediately the rooster crowed.

"Suddenly, Jesus' words flashed through Peter's mind: 'Before the rooster crows, you will deny three times that you even know me.' And he went away, weeping bitterly" (Matthew 26:73-75, NLT).

What was happening to Jesus while the bystanders were speaking to Peter?
What did those in the courtyard accuse Peter of?
What was his response?
How did Peter feel when he heard the rooster crow?

Reflect

Do you think you will ever deny Jesus?

What warning does the following verse give?

"If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall" (1 Corinthians 10:12, NLT).

Note the words or phrases in the following verse that will help you stand for the Lord.

"Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are" (1 Peter 5:8-9, NLT).

Respond

Take time to pray now and ask God to help you live for Jesus--when you're alone, at school, with family, at work, with your friends and even when there could be ridicule or danger.

*Stand up, stand up for Jesus, the trumpet call obey;
Forth to the mighty conflict, in this His glorious day.
Ye that are brave now serve Him against unnumbered foes;
Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

Stand up, stand up for Jesus, stand in His strength alone;
The arm of flesh will fail you, ye dare not trust your own.
Put on the Gospel armor, each piece put on with prayer;
Where duty calls or danger, be never wanting there.--George Duffield, Jr.

*Public Domain

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 19, 2013
Topic: Salvation, Jesus, Hope, New Life

Jesus in the Middle

It's just a small detail recorded in John 19:18. "They crucified Him, and two others with Him, one on either side, and Jesus in the center" (NKJV). Jesus is in the center, right in between two criminals--in the middle. That one little detail underscores a significant truth. Jesus is always in the middle of things; at the center of the action and the plan of God. Let's look at just a few examples.

Receive

First, Jesus is in the middle of the Godhead. It's God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit, each equally God and fully God. And Jesus is right there at the center.

He was also right in the thick of things at creation. Genesis 1 doesn't mention Jesus by name, but we know that He was very much involved. Colossians 1:16 tells us, "For by him [Jesus] all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him" (ESV).

From the beginning, Jesus has been at the center of God's plan for man's salvation. He was the one who would crush the head of the evil one (Genesis 3:15); He would be the ultimate Passover Lamb to save His people from death (Exodus 12); He was the King for the throne of David (2 Samuel 7:16); He is the Savior who would save His people from their sins (Matthew 1:21). Everything God wanted to do for us, to give us a hope and a relationship with Him, came through and because of Jesus.

Here at the cross, Jesus is at the middle of our greatest choice. Do we choose life or death? Salvation or condemnation? A personal relationship with God or eternal separation from Him?

God's future plan is also centered on Jesus. The final battle against Satan, the glorious new earth and new heaven, the eternal kingdom we'll be part of--it's all built around Jesus. Just take a look at Revelation 20-22.

Reflect

Colossians 1 offers a rich portrait of Christ that puts Him at the center of things. Read 1:13-23. How do you see Jesus in the middle of:

Creation?
Authorities?
Time and space?
The Church?
The work of God?
Your relationship with God?

Respond

Seeing Jesus at the center is not just for the great cosmic plan of redemption and history. He's still "in the center" for your life today. In Matthew 18:20, Jesus promised, "Where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them" (ESV). He is among us as believers. Just before He returned to heaven, Jesus promised "And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age" (Matthew 28:20, NLT).

That's Jesus...right in the middle of your life. What confidence does this give you for facing your daily walk with Him?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 20, 2013
Topic: God's Love, Salvation, Evangelism, Heaven

Open Invitation

Dad asked who I wanted at my birthday party and I replied, "All my friends." He hesitated and my heart dropped--who would I not be able to invite? Then he looked at mom and back at me indicating it was okay. All my friends could be invited. Yes! You think I was excited? You bet!

Even more exciting is the invitation God extends to His heaven.

Receive

"The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come.' Let anyone who hears this say, 'Come.' Let anyone who is thirsty come. Let anyone who desires drink freely from the water of life" (Revelation 22:17, NLT).

Who is included in this invitation?
Who is excluded?
What is the invitation to?

Read the following Scriptures and see if the invitation becomes even clearer.

And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Acts 2:21, ESV).

How do we qualify for this invitation?

"This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth" (1 Timothy 2:3-4, NASB).

Why do you think that God has given us an open invitation to His heaven?

Read the following Scriptures and identify one reason in each.

2 Peter 3:9

Isaiah 30:18

Ezekiel 18:23

Ezekiel 33:11

Reflect

In the watershed event of the Bible, the Crucifixion of His Son, the truth that God loves every person and wants them to come to Him jumps out at you and catches your heart.

Dr. Woodrow Kroll, Bible Teacher, explains it like this: "When Jesus was on that cross, His arms were stretched out as if He is reaching to everyone around. This is the position of invitation, of welcoming with open arms. That's where Jesus is on the cross; He is gathering people in from all sides to Himself."

Jesus died so that God's love and forgiveness could be experienced by all. One of the most inclusive words in the English language is "whoever."

"WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED" (Romans 10:13, NASB).

Respond

"Whoever" means you. Have you accepted God's gracious invitation? You can, right now. You can trust Christ as your Savior, as God's open door to His love, His salvation and His heaven. Here's how.

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, 'Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.' Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For 'Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved'" (Romans 10:9-13, NLT).

Do it now. And then tell your family and friends the exciting news--that God has given them the same invitation!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 21, 2013
Topic: Salvation

An Eternal Watershed

The Great Divide (also called the Continental Divide) causes the water on one side of this ridge to flow to the Pacific Ocean, while water on the other side flows to the Atlantic or Arctic Oceans. It runs from the Seward Peninsula in Alaska, through western Canada and then along the crest of the Rocky Mountains to New Mexico. From there, it follows the crest of Mexico's Sierra Madres and extends to the tip of South America. It is the longest continental divide or watershed in the world.

But this is nothing compared to the divide created by the cross of Christ. This divide is measured not in miles but in eternal destinies. Let's see what the Bible has to say.

Receive

Whoever believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself. Whoever does not believe God has made him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has borne concerning his Son. And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life (1 John 5:10-12, ESV).

If we refuse to believe what God says in His Word, what does that mean we think about God?
What do we have to do in order to have eternal life?
What happens to those who don't have the Son?

Reflect

What does John mean when he talks about having (or not having) the Son? In John 1:12, he says, "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." Christ becomes the watershed of eternal life. Those who receive Him (have the Son) will have eternal life. This means they will spend eternity in the presence of their Savior. Those who reject Christ (do not have the Son) will live for eternity as well, but it will be apart from God in a place called hell. Revelation 20:15 says, "And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

Respond

So, what side of the watershed are you on? Do you have the Son? Have you received Him as your Savior? Or are you rushing down the other side to a Christless eternity? Unlike the watershed in nature, there is something you can do. Visit the "Meet Jesus" page to find out how you can have the Son.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 22, 2013
Topic: Sin/Temptation, Christian Living/Situational, Evil

Satan's Lies

One afternoon the members of a health club assembled for a meeting on nutrition and exercise. The dietitian leading the discussion asked each member to describe his or her daily routine. The first participant admitted to a number of excesses, including overeating. Others joined in agreement. But one seriously overweight member reported, "I eat healthfully and moderately; I drink moderately and I exercise frequently."

"I see," said the dietitian. "Are you sure you have nothing else to tell us?"

"Well, yes," said the man. "I also lie extensively."

So, does Satan! Jesus called him a "liar and the father of lies" (John 8:44). Unless we know God's Word, we can fall victim to those lies. Look what happened to Eve.

Receive

Look at Satan's first words to Eve in Genesis 3: "He said to the woman, 'Did God actually say, "You shall not eat of any tree in the garden"?'" (v. 1, ESV). Satan surely knew what God had said. But he was testing Eve to see what she knew.

Eve's response, unfortunately, indicated her knowledge was faulty. Genesis 3:2-3 (ESV) tells us. "And the woman said to the serpent, 'We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, "You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die."'"

That was not what God had said. But it gave Satan a green light to tell the biggest lie ever told. "'You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil'" (vv. 4-5, ESV). In other words, "Eve, God doesn't have your best interests at heart; He's just trying to protect His own turf." Eve believed his lie, and you and I are living with the consequences to this very day.

Reflect

1. How could Eve have responded differently to the serpent's challenge?

2. Read through chapter 2 of Genesis. How does Eve's memory of God's words compare to what God actually said?

3. How can you respond to the lies that Satan slips in every now and then? What can you do to prepare yourself ahead of time?

Respond

Satan is still lying about God. And many people believe those lies. What lies might Satan be telling you today?

Our one sure defense against Satan's lies is the truth of God's Word. If you aren't regularly reading the Bible, you're leaving yourself open to believe Satan's lies. Begin today to spend a daily time in the Scriptures. If you would like a daily Bible reading guide, please visit backtothebible.org .

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 23, 2013
Topic: Pride/Humility

Problem of Pride

Pride is a hazardous condition. The side effects are definitely unpleasant; it can result in anger, disappointment, humiliation and even the judgment of God. The problem with pride is--we all have it. And because of pride, we can't be the people God wants us to be.

Receive

Pride begins with how we see ourselves. And it essentially says, "I know better than anybody else, and even better than God." It was this attitude that led Satan to fall from the angelic hosts of heaven to become the enemy of God.

It also appeared when Eve sinned. Look at Satan's subtle appeal to Eve that she would know better than God in Genesis 3:4-6, "But the serpent said to the woman, 'You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.' So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate" (ESV).

You find another example of the "I'm better than God" attitude in Exodus 5. Pharaoh responded to Moses' plea to free the Israelite slaves with this arrogance, "'And who is the Lord? Why should I listen to him and let Israel go? I don't know the Lord, and I will not let Israel go'" (Exodus 5:2, NLT). In the following chapters in Exodus, you see the hardness of Pharaoh's heart as he refused to submit his own pride to the greatness of God. Yet God was working this for His own purpose. Romans 9:17 tells us, "For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, 'For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth'" (ESV). But pride was also Pharaoh's downfall; it brought great heartache both to him and his people (see Exodus 7-12).

When we set ourselves up against God's supremacy; when we think we know better, can do a job better or that our way is preferable, when we let pride direct our choices, we're walking a destructive path.

Reflect

God has a lot to say about this troublesome problem. In the following verses, what does pride lead to? What's the antidote or cure?

Proverbs 11:2
Proverbs 13:10
Proverbs 16:5,18
Proverbs 29:23

Jesus told a parable about pride in Luke 18:9-14. What's the biggest difference between these men? Who had the better relationship with God in the end?

Pride is at the heart of many sins. How do you see pride at the root of jealousy, anger, coveting or greed, sexual immorality, unfaithfulness, lying, gossip, etc.? What part has it played in your life and struggle with temptation?

Respond

So, what's the solution? Well, a little healthy humility doesn't hurt! However, one core concept can make a difference, and it's found in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body" (ESV).

The idea that "you are not your own" changes everything. You are not in charge; you belong to God and were bought with a price--the life Jesus Christ gave up for you on the cross. It's God who is in charge. He is the Master, the Father, the Creator, the Supreme God--not us.

What can you do today to acknowledge, even rejoice in the fact "you are not your own"?
How will you express the appropriate humility before Him?
What needs to change in your life if you're to set aside your pride?
How do you think it will affect your relationship with God and with others?

You'll want to start with prayer--if you need to, borrow from Luke 18:13.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 27, 2013
Topic: Sin/Temptation

Some Things Never Change

One of the most popular Peanuts cartoon strips features Lucy convincing Charlie Brown to kick a football she's holding. Despite the fact Lucy has never kept her promise to hold the ball in the past, Charlie gives it his best. Invariably he ends up on his back after she yanks the ball away. Then Lucy walks off commenting, "Some things never change!"

It's easy to criticize Charlie Brown's gullibility. You would think after the umpteenth time, he would learn. But what about us? Satan tempts us using the same approach he used to lure Eve into disobedience. Let's take a look.

Receive

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world--the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions--is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever" (1 John 2:15-17, ESV).

What are the three areas in which John says we're tempted?
Compare John's words to Eve's temptation in Genesis 3:6. Identify these same three areas.

Read about Jesus' temptation in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11).

Where do we see these three areas appearing once again?
How did Jesus defeat each of these temptations?
According to John, why is giving in to these temptations so futile?

Reflect

When it comes to Satan, it can be said, "Some things never change!" Whether it's in the Garden of Eden, the wilderness of Judea or Hometown, USA, Satan's approach to temptation has never changed. But why should it? Satan has used this tactic successfully with only one exception--Jesus Christ.

Satan is a master at presenting these same three temptations in a variety of packages, but underneath the wrapping, it never changes. When it comes to Satan's temptations, it's important to identify the contents and not be fooled by the packaging.

Respond

Take a sheet of paper and make three columns. At the top of each column, list one of the "desires" that John mentions. In each column write down the temptations you have faced and/or are facing. Find a verse in God's Word you can apply to each temptation. Ask God to help you use that verse to gain victory over the temptation.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 28, 2013
Topic: Salvation

At the Cross

Of all the great theologians this world has known, the Christian singer/songwriter Carman will never be counted as one of them. But when I think of the victory that was accomplished at the cross, I'll always think of his song "The Champion."

In the song he paints the long conflict between God and Satan as a boxing match, with the saints of God observing on one side, and the villains of history leering on the other. Near the end of the song, Satan strikes the killing blow to Jesus and all watch God come out to start the ten-count.

"Ten...nine...eight...." It looks like the victory is sure, but then the villains are thrown into confusion; what's going on? "Five ... four ... three...." The body of Jesus is now stirring; the saints are on their feet. "Two...." A cheer breaks forth! Jesus is on His feet! He has won!

Like I said, Carman's never going to be counted among the great theologians, but he got one thing right in his song: The death of Christ at Calvary and His Resurrection three days later was an amazing victory for you and me.

Receive

Victory over what? Look at Romans 6:23: "For the wages of sin is death" (ESV). Just as each hour of work I do earns me a certain amount of money, so each sin I have ever committed has earned me death. And while the majority of my life has "felt" good--I'm certainly not as bad as a lot of people out there--Romans 3:23 says that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (ESV). That includes those of us who have led "good" lives.

That's why the death and Resurrection of Jesus is such a miraculous victory for you and me. If Jesus hadn't raised Himself from the dead, we would have no second half to Romans 6:23: "But the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (ESV).

Reflect

Think about these verses and consider the following questions:

If before Jesus died we were condemned to death and after He rose we can accept eternal life, what did Jesus' death accomplish?
Why does God offer eternal life as a free gift?
What does it take to receive this free gift from God?

Respond

If you haven't accepted the free gift of Jesus Christ, please do so now! We have resources available if you want to know more. Check out "Meet Jesus" or drop us a note at info@backtothebible.org. We'll be happy to share with you how you can have a part in Jesus' victory.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 29, 2013
Topic: Other

Witness You Can Trust

The jury had been out for two days, so the judge was pleased when the foreman returned to the chamber and said, "Your Honor, we have just one question to ask before we make our decision."

"Good. What is it?" the judge replied.

The foreman hesitated, then said "We're wondering--can you tell us what the words plaintiff and defendant mean?"

If the right decision is going to be made, it's important to understand the words used. As a follower of Christ, here's a good legal word for you to be clear about--the word witness.

Receive

Simply put, a witness is "someone who sees an event and gives a report of what happened." You will find that the Bible speaks of people who witness about Christ and what He did. You will also see that Christ Himself is a witness; and how, as a Christian, you ought to be a witness for Him as well.

Read the following verses in your Bible and answer the questions.

Consider some of the witnesses who testified to the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ:

John 5:37. Who is the witness to Christ's genuineness in this verse?
John 1:29-34. Who is Christ's witness in these verses? What does the witness call Him?
John 5:36. What are the witnesses to Christ's truthfulness in this verse? What do they tell about Him?
Acts 10:43. Who are the witnesses in this verse? What do they testify to?

Next, look at some of the things Christ witnessed to about Himself:

John 8:14. What did Jesus say was proof that His testimony about Himself was true?
John 18:37. What does Jesus say His purpose was for coming into the world?

And finally, look at the witnessing responsibility Christ gives to all believers:

Acts 1:8. Where does Jesus send us to be His witnesses?

Reflect

Witnesses must be trustworthy since the life of a person standing trial often hangs in the balance, based on the truthfulness of what the witness claims to have seen. Therefore, it is not surprising that God holds witnesses personally responsible for their testimony.

He says in Exodus 23:1-2 (ESV): "You shall not spread a false report. You shall not join hands with a wicked man to be a malicious witness. You shall not fall in with the many to do evil, nor shall you bear witness in a lawsuit, siding with the many, so as to pervert justice."

In Revelation 3:14 (ESV), Jesus tells the apostle John, "And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: 'The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.'"

He is the "Amen," the all-sufficient one, everything that is necessary.
He is the "faithful and true witness," the one who reports exactly what God wants us to know.
He is the "beginning of God's creation." He is not created; He is the One who began all creation. He has witnessed the very beginning of all things.

Respond

All you need to know about the Lord Jesus Christ is recorded for you in the Bible, which was inspired by another true witness, the Holy Spirit (John15:26).

Imagine that someone asks you, "What truths do you know about Jesus Christ?" Then write down as many things as you can that the Bible witnesses to about Him. Think how you can put into your own words the truths that you want to tell others about Him.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 30, 2013
Topic: Jesus, Worship/Praise/Worthiness

The Worship Experience

What's the greatest worship experience you've ever had? What was so powerful, so holy and so celebratory that it drove you to your knees? Or had you shouting and singing and praising God in ways you'd never imagined? Fix that picture in your mind--and then multiply it by a thousand. And you'll begin to have a sense of what worship will be like when we gather before Jesus, the Lamb of God.

Receive

Revelation is filled with those moments. Let's start with Revelation 5:8-10: "And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song, saying,

'Worthy are you to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation,
and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God,
and they shall reign on the earth'" (ESV).

The key to worship is in that first word of the song: "Worthy." It means "ascribing or expressing the worth of someone or something." In true worship, that someone is Jesus.

Why is He worthy? Well, as the song tells us, because He was slain; He ransomed us with His blood and He makes us a kingdom of priests. Throughout Scripture, we learn Jesus is worthy of our worship because He is the Son of God; He is perfect, holy, righteous, loving, merciful, just, faithful, etc. Everything about Him, all that He is, is worth our attention, our devotion, our praise and our worship. No other can compare.

Pick two or three of these worship scenes in Revelation to examine more closely.

Revelation 4:8-11
Revelation 5:11-13
Revelation 7:9-12
Revelation 11:15-19
Revelation 19:1-9

Where is the focus placed?
What are the words of worship? The actions of worship?
What attitude is common among those who are worshiping?

Reflect

How did your view of Jesus change as you read the preceding worship scenes?

How might you apply the expressions of worship you read about in Revelation to your worship?

When we begin to grasp the awesome spectrum of His worthiness, then our worship grows beyond music or services or ritual. It becomes the response of a heart that acknowledges and embraces the immense treasure wrapped up in Christ the Lamb. It's not about us, what we have or even what or how we can give back to God; it's all about Him. That's what drives the creatures and elders of Revelation 5 to the ground before Him.

Respond

Worship is not limited to singing or prayer or even our actions when we're gathered with other believers. It can be private and personal or public and shared. But the focus is always the same: Jesus Christ.

What do you currently do as worship?
What can you change based on the examples found in Revelation?
How will you share your experience of worship with other believers?

Look over your schedule for the next two or three days and see if you can make a time for focused worship on Christ. Borrow words from Scripture (like Psalm 145); use music; get on your knees or even face down, whatever will help you to recognize the Lamb as worthy of your worship. Don't make it about you and what you need or want but bring your praise and express the worthiness of Christ back to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 2, 2013
Topic: Forgiveness/Unforgiveness

Forgiveness That Frees

In Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol, the ghost of Marley, Ebenezer Scrooge's departed business partner, comes to him in the dark of night, rattling the chains that bind him. Dickens writes:

"'You are fettered,' said Scrooge, trembling.'Tell me why?'"

"'I wear the chain I forged in life,' replied the Ghost. 'I made it link by link, and yard by yard; I girded it on of my own free will, and of my own free will I wore it. Is its pattern strange to you?'"

Marley's ghost is fiction, but Marley's statement is miserably true for many Christians who choose not to forgive persons who have wronged them. Rather than enjoying the freedom that Christ promised--"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed" (John 8:36, ESV)--they choose to continue forging the links of an unforgiving spirit that embitters their lives and binds them from building biblical relationships.

Do you have a problem with forgiving others when they have hurt you? Let's look at some biblical teaching on this subject today.

Receive

Here are some Scripture references that relate to forgiveness:

Mark 11:25

If you are to forgive a person while you are praying, to whom would you first be expressing your forgiveness?

Colossians 3:12-17

What example are you to follow in forgiving others? How does forgiving or not forgiving others affect the various relationships spoken of in verses 14-17?

Reflect

If a person wrongs you, which of the following actions would be true forgiveness on your part?

Just ask God to forgive them for their wrong and let Him do the forgiving.
Don't do anything about it. Bear the pain.
Let the offender know that you are hurt and that he or she needs to ask your forgiveness.
Forget it. Put it out of your mind entirely. "Forgive and forget."

Answer? None of the above is biblical forgiveness and none of those actions or inactions will release you from the pain caused by the offense.

Then, how should you forgive those who have hurt you? Look at Ephesians 4:31-32 (ESV) "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."

That passage gives you a pattern for how you are to forgive someone. Whose forgiveness is your model? How does God forgive? An example of how He forgives can be seen in Psalm 32:5 (NASB), where David confesses his sin to God. The last part of the verse says, "You forgave the guilt of my sin." It does not say God forgot the event of David's transgression, but that He forgave the guilt. In Christ, God forgives your sins and no longer charges them against you. He does not forget the events, but He puts away the guilt.

You are to forgive others in the same manner that God has forgiven you--canceling the debt, giving up any claim you may have to get even and by an act of your will, releasing them. You can do that at any time, without waiting for an apology that you may never get. Forgiveness is your choice. You may not forget the event, but you will be free from the bondage of unforgiveness and even the event may begin to fade from your mind.

Respond

Are you struggling in your spiritual life because you are not forgiving someone? You can handle that problem right now. Go to the Lord and tell Him that you forgive the offender--that from this moment on you are setting the person or persons free from the debts they owe you and that you are making the choice to give up any claim to punish or get even with them. You are not asking God to forgive them; you are telling God that you have determined to forgive them.

As the old saying goes, "Why be a drudge to a grudge, when you can forgive and live."

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 3, 2013

The Value of Forgiving

As the cemetery workers began to shovel dirt over the coffin, Jake stood by the grave, realizing that this would be the last remembrance he would have of his brother.

Remorse clouded Jake's thoughts while he walked to his car. Words of forgiveness that he had been unwilling to speak over the past 23 years would now have to remain unspoken. He had never forgiven his brother for causing the accident that had taken their mother. Jake asked himself, Why? Why did I remain silent?

Yes. Why? Why do you and I find it so difficult to forgive? And is forgiving others really necessary?

Receive

There are several potential roadblocks on the path to forgiving someone who has wronged you.

Pride is one. When someone injures your pride by putting you down or embarrassing you, it is often difficult for you to forgive that person. Having your pride hurt, however, is never a valid excuse for not forgiving the offender. Read Proverbs 11:2. What follows pride? What follows humility?
Fear is another. The necessity for you to forgive a person usually arises out of a situation that is uncomfortable to talk about. That makes it somewhat scary to even bring up the subject. But God can take care of that fear as you go in faith to tell the person that you forgive him or her. Read Psalm 56:3-4,11. How should a believer face fear?
Anger may prevent you from forgiving. The offense made you angry and you keep on nursing your anger instead of choosing the freedom forgiveness gives you. What does the Bible say in Ephesians 4:26 about harboring anger? What does Ecclesiastes 7:9 tell you about anger?
Doubt that it will do any good to forgive the offender. What's the use? He'll just do the same thing again. Forgiving doesn't mean that the other person will change or that you approve of his or her actions. Read Matthew 18:21-22. Does Jesus say your forgiveness depends on the attitude of the offender? What do you think Jesus intended by saying "seventy times seven"?

Reflect

If there are excuses for not forgiving, the Bible gives plenty of reasons you should forgive. In the following verses, what reasons can you find?

Colossians 3:13
Ephesians 4:32
Mark 11:25
Matthew 6:14

Forgiveness is an act of kindness. It is Christ-like. It keeps the lines open for communion with God and is a condition for your fellowship with Him. It sets you free. Forgiveness is necessary for right relationships with others. It is wise!

Respond

Do you need to forgive someone? Ask God to bring them to your mind right now. What has blocked you from forgiving them? Make a choice today to take care of the matter in the proper way. Pray that God will give you the courage and strength to take your forgiveness to the one who has hurt you.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 4, 2013

No More Excuses

Someone defined an excuse as "The skin of a truth stuffed with a lie." That is, an excuse has the outward appearance of being true, but behind that appearance is nothing but a falsehood.

This holds true when we make excuses about forgiveness. And one of the most common ones is this: That happened before I was saved. Does God hold you responsible for the actions you committed before you were saved? Let's see what His Word says.

Receive

He entered Jericho and was passing through.

And there was a man called by the name of Zaccheus; he was a chief tax collector and he was rich.

Zaccheus was trying to see who Jesus was, and was unable because of the crowd, for he was small in stature.

So he ran on ahead and climbed up into a sycamore tree in order to see Him, for He was about to pass through that way.

When Jesus came to the place, He looked up and said to him, "Zaccheus, hurry and come down, for today I must stay at your house."

And he hurried and came down and received Him gladly.

When they saw it, they all began to grumble, saying, "He has gone to be the guest of a man who is a sinner."

Zaccheus stopped and said to the Lord, "Behold, Lord, half of my possessions I will give to the poor, and if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I will give back four times as much."

And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham." (Luke 19:1-9 NASB).

What three facts are we told about Zaccheus?
What demonstrated Zaccheus' interest in Jesus?
How did the crowds respond?
How did Zaccheus demonstrate his sincerity?

Reflect

The Romans gave the job of tax collecting to the highest bidder. The tax collector was then free to recoup his expenses plus as much over that as he could. As a tax collector (and a chief tax collector to boot) Zaccheus probably had cut more than his fair share of shady deals. And more than once, he probably collected more than was legitimately owed.

It would have been easy for Zaccheus to say, "I'm a changed man. I'm not the same man I used to be." (Which was true.) "I'm not liable for anything wrong I did in the past." But he didn't. Instead he took responsibility for his past actions and offered to make restitution for them.

But what about 2 Corinthians 5:17? This verse says, "Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." (NASB) Doesn't this release me from the sins of the past? While it releases you from the penalty of past sins, your transformation doesn't release you from the responsibilities created by those actions. Our new relationship with Christ changes the future, but it doesn't change the past.

Respond

Is there a past sin that needs to be made right? Maybe it's something you did before you became a Christian. While it's understandable that your moral standards were different back then, you still need to take responsibility for your actions. Ask God how you can make restitution for the things you've done wrong--then do it.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 5, 2013

Asking for Forgiveness

Asking for forgiveness is difficult. But if you've wronged someone, then it's necessary. In fact, in Matthew 5:23-24, Jesus tells us that seeking forgiveness ought to be a priority. "If you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift" (ESV).

So, what's the correct way to go about seeking forgiveness? Here are seven steps to guide you.

Receive

1) Start with God and confess your sin to Him. 1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (ESV). Start by seeking forgiveness from God.

2) Get a right perspective. Forgiveness is about canceling a debt. If your friend or neighbor chooses not to forgive, that's their business. But it starts with you.

3) Take responsibility. Forgiveness is never one-sided. Never expect the other person to share in the blame. This is about dealing with your own guilt.

4) Keep short accounts. I can say from personal experience that the longer you let a matter stand, the harder it is to confront it. Paul wrote in his letter to the Ephesians, "Do not let the sun go down on your anger" (4:26, ESV). In other words, keep short accounts. Deal with all of the little things every day, so the little things don't become big things.

5) Maintain small circles. The scope of your sin should determine the scope of your confession. If it's a private sin between you and God, keep the confession between you and God. If you've wronged your spouse, confess your sin to God and to your spouse. No one else needs to be involved.

6) Make confession personal. Phone calls and emails are no substitute for an honest, heartfelt, face-to-face apology.

7) Finally, make amends. If you've taken something from someone, return it. If it can't be returned, provide the equivalent.

Reflect

Has anything popped into your mind as you've read this?

Have you remembered any situation that you need to set right?

Are you waiting for the other person involved to make the first move, or are you willing to make that move?

Respond

Are there any unresolved issues in your life? Make a plan this week to set things right. It might seem like a small and insignificant matter, but if it's big enough to weigh on your mind, it's big enough to set right. Remember, first confess to God and trust Him for the strength and the grace you need as you seek reconciliation.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 6, 2013

Benefits of Forgiveness

So, you know you're supposed to forgive others, but do you ever wonder what's in it for you? How will you benefit, if and when, you forgive? Let's look at seven benefits of forgiveness.

Receive

First, forgiveness puts you in a right relationship with God. First John 4:20 tells us, "If anyone says, 'I love God,' and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen" (ESV). You can't have it both ways; loving God means loving others which includes granting and seeking forgiveness.

Second, forgiving others removes any roadblocks to your prayers. "And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses" (Mark 11:25, ESV).

Third, it ensures that God forgives you. In Matthew 6, Jesus taught forgiveness as part of prayer, " and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors....For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses" (6:12, 14-15, ESV). When God has forgiven you of so much, why shouldn't He expect you to forgive others as generously?

A fourth benefit is found indirectly in 1 Timothy 1:5, "The aim of our charge is love that issues from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith" (ESV). Real love comes from a good conscience; it means you've taken care of business with God. There is no barrier between you and Him. Nothing makes you feel guilty or ashamed to approach Him. Having real love means you forgive when you should and ask Him for forgiveness when it's necessary to do that.

Several of these benefits affect your relationship with others.

First, you experience reconciliation. You're at peace with others. "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother" (Matthew 18:15, ESV).

Secondly, it removes the bitterness which develops when you hold onto hurt or anger and refuse to forgive. "Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you" (Ephesians 4:31-32, ESV).

Lastly, forgiveness leads to personal spiritual revival; it energizes your spiritual walk. And it can do the same in your church too. This is why the New Testament instructions to the churches and believers emphasize forgiving others.

Reflect

Which of these benefits have you experienced?
Where do you struggle with forgiveness?
How has a lack of forgiveness impacted your relationship with God lately? With other people?
Has bitterness set in? What are you doing about it?
Which of the benefits discussed above do you find motivates you the most to do something about unforgiveness in your life?

Respond

It's nice to know you'll get something good out of becoming a person who forgives and seeks forgiveness. But it'll take more than knowledge. What steps can you take today to become that person?

Maybe you need to pick up the phone and call a friend to seek reconciliation. Or maybe you need to have a conversation with God first. Maybe it'll mean releasing the hurt and anger you carry; ask Him to handle it instead of holding onto it yourself and letting it become bitterness. Think it through; jot down the steps you need to take...then start with the first one and keep going. Ask for the Holy Spirit's help and the grace to enjoy the benefits of forgiveness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟879,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

The Bible Minute in the format we've been used to has been discontinued and incorporated into a radio program by Back to the Bible. The email subscriptions to Bible Minute have also been discontinued. If you wish to read the transcript or listen to the radio program, use the below link:

The Bible Minute

Upvote 0