Distributed Freely by Back To The Bible
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 23, 2012
Topic: Prayer

Check Your Motives at the Door

Ever heard the saying, "Never judge a man's actions until you know his motives"? Why is that true? Because motives are what cause a person to act in a certain way. Why are we so interested in the motivation behind someone's actions? Well, it's because a wrong assumption (about someone's motives) determines how we view something someone does. If we know that something's done purely to make an individual look better, we won't appreciate it. Although, we might guess at someone's motives, God knows with certainty each person's motivation.

Receive

"And even when you ask, you don't get it because your motives are all wrong--you want only what will give you pleasure" (James 4:3, NLT).

"But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted" (John 15:7, NLT).

What is one thing mentioned in these verses that keeps us from getting what we ask God for?
When our motives are wrong, whose best interests are we looking for?
How can we make sure our motives are good?

Reflect

One of the biggest roadblocks in our prayer lives is asking God for something for all the wrong reasons. God isn't going to honor us by answering prayers that don't honor Him. We want what benefits us--not what is pleasing and right with God. Ask yourself:

What am I really after when I pray?

What are the things I'm praying for right now?

What is my motivation in those prayers?

Respond

When we realize that we're coming to God with wrong motives, we must deal with it like the rest of the sin in our lives. We have to confess it to God and move on. We have to change our motives and then come before God with the right motives.

Take some time today to conduct a "motives checkup." Make sure that when you come before God with a prayer request, you have the right motive. Remember, we can't hide our motives from God.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 24, 2012
Topic: Prayer

Wrong Motives

C. S. Lewis wrote in his Letters to an American Lady, "Humans are very seldom either totally sincere or totally hypocritical. Their moods change, their motives are mixed, and they often themselves are quite mistaken as to what their motives are."

That's also true in our prayer lives. Sometimes even we don't realize what our motives are. But you can be sure that God knows our motives all the time. So, what happens if we're praying for the right thing but for the wrong reason? Let's see what God's Word says.

Receive

"What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions" (James 4:1-3, ESV).

What are some of the "motives" given in this passage?
What does it mean to "ask wrongly"?
The word "passions" can be translated "pleasures." Can you think of a time when you prayed for something simply to use for your pleasure?

Reflect

Nobody, as C.S. Lewis observed, has totally pure motives. But what do you do when you discover that your primary motive for praying for something is based on a "wrong motive"? Look at 1 John 1:9 and consider the following questions:

What does John tell us that a Christian should do with sin in his or her life?
What is God's response to this action?
What do we find in this verse that assures us God will forgive us and purify us from unrighteousness?

Respond

If you're not getting a response to your prayers, it might be because you're asking with the wrong motive. Ask God to reveal any wrong motive that might be hindering your prayers. Then follow the directions in 1 John 1:9 to deal with these motives.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 27, 2012
Topic: Jesus, Salvation

Salvation

It's the American way of salvation: If I've been bad, then I stop being bad and start being good; and when I'm good enough, I'll get to heaven.

Man's way has always been to try harder; do more; be religious; be moral. The Bible teaches that salvation done our way is a dead end--literally and eternally.

Receive

"There is a way that seems right to a man,
but its end is the way to death" Proverbs 16:25 (ESV).

That's scary! And it gets worse.

"'Not everyone who calls out to me, "Lord! Lord!" will enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Only those who actually do the will of my Father in heaven will enter. On judgment day many will say to me, "Lord! Lord! We prophesied in your name and cast out demons in your name and performed many miracles in your name." But I will reply, "I never knew you. Get away from me, you who break God's laws"'" (Matthew 5:2; 7:21-23, NLT).

The problem with our way is that it is not God's way. God tells us clearly and repeatedly in His Word that salvation is found in Jesus--Jesus alone.

Look up these verses and write down what Jesus said about Himself or what others said about Him.

John 14:6

Matthew 1:21

Acts 10:43

1 Timothy 2:5

Acts 4:10-12

Reflect

There are many, many other Scriptures that teach us this compelling and unvarnished truth: Salvation is not about me or you (who we are or what we do or don't do). Salvation's all about Jesus--who He is (the Son of God) and what He did (died on the cross for our sins).

That is the one way and the only way to salvation.

"And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God's Son does not have life"(1 John 5:11-12, NLT).

Respond

Romans 10:9, NLT tells us: "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

It's simple, but it is not easy. It's simple because anyone, anytime, anywhere can trust Jesus as Savior and be saved. But most will never do it.

"You can enter God's Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it" (Matthew 7:13-14, NLT).

How about you? Are you going your way or God's way?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 28, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Facing the Gray Areas

Your neighbor, Ted, is dying of cancer. Ted and his family are all Christians. One of his daughters has come to you with a question: "Dad has less than two months to live. He told us yesterday that he wants to be cremated when he dies. Some of our family members feel a Christian shouldn't do that. What do you think?"

As you search your mind for an answer, you wonder what God says about your neighbors' situation. What can you tell Ted's daughter?

Receive

When you go to your Bible, you find it doesn't offer specific guidelines on the subject of cremation. The Jewish custom was to bury their dead (Genesis 25:8-10, 1 Kings 2:10, Matthew 14:10-12, Acts 8:2). The body of Jesus was entombed (Luke 23:50-54) and burial either in the ground or in a tomb has been the traditional custom for Christians as well.

On the other hand, the Bible also tells us that the bodies of lawbreakers were sometimes burned (Joshua 7:15-25). In addition 1 Samuel 31:1-13 says that the body of disobedient King Saul was burned. But we can't forget, however, that so were the bodies of Saul's sons including the body of his godly son Jonathan.

Considering all this, you probably realize that Ted's family is facing what is referred to as a "gray area" in Christian decision making. The Bible doesn't lay out a black and white rule about cremation; it doesn't say "do" or "don't," "right" or "wrong." Yet this family faces a decision that must be made.

What should you do when you have to determine what to do about one of these "gray areas?"

Reflect

The issue of cremation must be decided in the same way that other important decisions are reached. The Bible doesn't tell us exactly what to do, but here are some biblical principles to follow when you don't find clear statements for or against a matter. Look up each of the following verses.

Pray earnestly for God's direction (Psalm 25:4-5; Luke 6:12-13).
Be sure the decision you make will produce results consistent with the fruit of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and the glory of God (1Corinthians 10:31).
Seek out and listen to godly advice (Proverbs 12:15).
Write out the pros and cons of each alternative and choose the best (Philippians 4:8 ).
Make the decision (James 1:5-8 ).

Respond

You or someone in your family may face the question of cremation some day. What do you think about cremation for Christians? Putting the above principles into practice, list all the thoughts you have for and against the practice, then write down your conclusion.

When Paul is dealing with another gray area (the celebration of special days), he concludes: "Let each be fully convinced in his own mind" (Romans 14:5). Whatever decision you make, give others the right to be "fully convinced" in their mind even if they come to a different conclusion than your own.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 29, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

War

Jesus told His disciples, "And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet" (Matthew 24:6, ESV). That there will be wars on earth up till the very end seems certain. But what should the Christian's attitude toward war be? That question has special relevance these days, so let's take a moment and see what the Bible has to say.

Receive

Since wars happen on a national scale, the passage in Romans in which Paul describes our responsibilities to governing bodies applies here. Let's look at Romans 13:1-7.

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God" (Romans 13:1, ESV). Given the context of the Roman Empire, this statement may have caught some Christians off guard. Even the secular rulers of the land are appointed by God. As such, it is the Christian's responsibility to respect those rulers. Paul explains this in verses 2 and 3.

In verse 4 Paul says, "But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he [the governing authority] does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer" (Romans 13:4, ESV).

Not only does God appoint the leaders of governments, He gives them the "sword" of judgment. So, it is not inherently wrong for a nation to have a standing army or a police force so long as it exists to serve justice.

Is it, therefore, biblical for Christians to be active in the military? As long as that military serves its God-appointed role, it is biblically justifiable for a Christian to serve in the military.

Receive

I think it's important here to make a distinction between what happens on a national level and what happens on a personal level. While it is biblical for a nation to wage war (and for believers to participate in that war) when acting on principles of justice, it is not biblical for individual believers to wage personal wars against other individuals. This is where Paul's admonitions in Romans 12:14-21 hold precedence. "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all" (Romans 12:18, ESV).

Respond

The issue of war and the believer's part in it is much larger than a short Bible study can address. So, I encourage you, if this is a matter that concerns you, to not end the discussion here. Dig deeper into the Bible and find what it says. Look at the wars of the Old Testament and consider their context. Consider Jesus' teaching on the subject--do His teachings apply only to the individual or can they be applied on a national level as well? Ask your pastor to recommend commentaries or other books on the subject. All the while, pray that God will give you the wisdom to discern His will and the ability to apply it to your own life.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 30, 2012
Topic: Salvation, Doubt/Fear

No Need to Worry

The unknown future can often leave us feeling worried and afraid. We're always wondering where we'll be in ten years. If we'll ever find a spouse? If we'll we get that job we really want? If our kids will grow up to serve and love the Lord? However, if we've received Jesus Christ as our Savior, even though we may not know the future, we do know the One who controls it.

Receive

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 6:23, NLT).

"Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8, NLT).

"Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am" (John 14: 1-3, NLT).

As a result of our sin, what do we deserve?
Because we have accepted Jesus Christ, what do we get?
If we're not in our earthly bodies, where are we?
Where is the Lord's home?

Reflect

Too many of us spend most of our lives worrying about the future. Ask yourself, in the end, what really matters? Our time here on earth is just a short period when compared to eternity (James 4:14). The most important thing for us to know is where we're spending forever. As a Christian, we know that we're going to heaven; and we don't have to worry about it.

Respond

While we can take comfort in the knowledge that our eternal destination will be heaven, those who aren't saved don't have the knowledge that brings that comfort. Think about the people you know who aren't saved. (If you don't know anyone, pray that God will send someone who doesn't know Him into your life.) Take some time this week to pray that the Holy Spirit will begin to work in that person's heart. Also pray that God will provide you with opportunities to share the Gospel with your new friend.

And while you're praying, thank God that you know you'll spend the rest of your life with Him in heaven.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Aug 31, 2012
Topic: Other

Eternal Life, or Eternal Death?

As of June 5, 2012, 497 fugitives had been on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted fugitives list. Almost daily, you hear news that someone has escaped or is fleeing from justice.

But in the Bible, you'll find a court session where everyone who is summoned to be there, will be there. There will be no fugitives. So, let's read about it in God's Word.

Receive

Hebrews 9:27-28 (ESV) "And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment, so Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to deal with sin but to save those who are eagerly waiting for him."

In this passage, you see that the common experience for all humans is to die once. In the passage below, however, you see that some--but not everyone--will die twice.

Revelation 20:11-15 (ESV) "Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."

Look through the Bible passage above (Revelation 20:11-15) and answer these questions:

In verses 11-12, the apostle John twice says, "I saw." What two things did he see?
What are the dead spoken of in verse 12 doing?
Where do all these dead people come from (verse 13)?
On what information does God base His judgment of the dead (verses 12, 13, 15)?
In what two ways does John describe the final destination of the dead (verse 14)?
What guarantees that a person will not be thrown into the lake of fire (verse 15)?

Reflect

According to the apostle Paul, death for the saved is the last enemy (1 Corinthians 15:26). That thought led Paul to break out in joy, saying, "When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:
'Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?'" (1 Corinthians 15:54-55 ESV).

You'll also find assurance in 2 Corinthians 5:8 (ESV) "Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord."

You see, then, though a Christian physically dies, he or she is alive and will be alive and blessed for all eternity. Every true believer's name is written in the Book of Life and no child of God will be summoned to stand before the Great White Throne.

But what if you have never believed the good news of Christ? What if you die without trusting Him for salvation? What does the future hold for you then? Proverbs 14:12 (ESV) gives the sober answer:

"There is a way that seems right to a man,
but its end is the way to death."

That death is the second death--the death all lost people will experience in the lake of fire.

The final judgment and condemnation of the unsaved is not a figment of someone's imagination. Read Revelation 21:3-8, which gives the vivid contrast of those who die in the Lord and those who die in their sins.

Respond

Read John 3:16-18 and then answer this question honestly: "Am I one of the condemned, or am I among those who are not condemned?"

Where are you today? Is your name recorded in the Book of Life? If you have trusted Christ as your Savior, it is there and will never be erased. But if your name is not there, why don't you make certain that it gets written down right now? Quietly pray, confess your sin to God and ask Him to save you and give you eternal life. Then, thank Him for what He has done.

Please visit the "Meet Jesus" page to get more information and help.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 3, 2012
Topic: Salvation, Heaven

Good News

Do you ever think about your own death? George Bernard Shaw said, "The statistics of death are quite impressive. One out of one dies." Death may be a certainty, but the more important question is this: "Am I going to heaven when I die?"

The Bible teaches that not only does God make it possible for you to go to heaven, He wants you to know that heaven is your destination the very instant you die. (See 2 Corinthians 5:8.)

Receive

The apostle Paul looked at death this way: "'For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don't know which is better. I'm torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live'" (Philippians 1:21-23, NLT).

On this earth, the presence of Christ is in us. When a Christian dies, we are immediately in the presence of Christ in heaven. Jesus said, "If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also" (John 12:26).

What do the following verses tell you about life and death, about God and love?

"Jesus told her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying'" (John 11:25, NLT).

"For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will" (John 5:21, ESV).

Reflect

The good news is that you and I can choose where we will spend eternity. But we have to make our choice this side of death. Not to choose is to make a choice. I can think of no better time to nail down your eternal destiny than now.

How?

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved...For 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved'" (Romans 10:9-10, 13 NKJV).

Respond

If you have never prayed and asked Christ to be your Savior, forgive you of your sins and give you a home in heaven, why not do that right now?

If you have done that, why not take a moment and thank the Lord that the greatest tragedy in all of life can never happen to you: standing before God with Jesus not as your Savior.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 4, 2012
Topic: Other

God's Amazing Messengers

Today in the Bible Minute get ready to meet some totally biblical, very real personalities who are spiritual, invisible and powerful. They make their home in heaven with God, yet work around the world and are intimately concerned with the good of every believer.

You guessed it! They are angels. Would you like to know more about them? Find out what God says:

Receive

Get acquainted with some interesting facts the Bible reveals about angels by taking this brief quiz:

In Job 38:4-7, angels are called the "sons of God." What does God say they did when He created the earth?

What is characteristic of the angels in Psalm 103:20? In Psalm 148:2?

What are angels called in Hebrews 1:7?

According to Hebrews 1:14, what people do angels especially assist?

When Jesus was being arrested, how many angels did He say He could ask the Father to send to help Him (Matthew 26:53) and how long did He say it would take the angels to get there?

In Luke 2:15, where did the angels go after announcing Jesus' birth to the shepherds?

What did the angels do for the poor man in Luke 16:22?

In Matthew 18:10, what does Jesus say the angels "always" do?

God's Word will give you many more facts about angels. Both the Old and the New Testament have scores of references to them.

Reflect

You may have heard legends, read novels or seen TV programs about angels. Because angels are normally unseen, people may give them credit at times for things they didn't do. On the other hand, there are undoubtedly times when an angel has done something on a person's behalf without the person knowing it has happened. The Bible, however, makes it clear that many people have personally encountered angels. For examples, see Luke 1:30; Luke 2:9-10; Acts 5:17-20. It stands to reason that through the ages of the Church, angels have continued to be active in their ministry to God's people.

Your understanding of angels should come from the Bible, however, not from myths and fantasy. For example, angels are not glorified humans. They are not present everywhere. They are spirits without bodies, although they sometimes may take on the appearance of a human. Not all angels are good. Some, including Satan, have sinned and will be punished forever (Matthew 25:41).

Angels are never to be worshiped. They are creatures of God just as you are (Revelation 22:8-9).

Respond

You'll want to learn more about angels. If your Bible has a concordance (a list of Bible words with their references) look up "angel" and "angels" and do your own study. Or go to biblegateway.com for an excellent interactive online concordance for the Bible version you are using.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 5, 2012
Topic: Sin/Temptation

Temptation

Think for a moment about what tempts you. Got a picture of that (or those) temptation in your mind? Now, ask yourself where temptation originates. Does it come from God? And also, consider a practical question, what's the most effective way to deal with temptation?

Let's see what light the Bible sheds on this matter.

Receive

James 1:12-15 answers both our questions. It tells us clearly and succinctly about God and temptation.

"God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, "God is tempting me." God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death" (James 1:12-15, NLT).

How does God expect you to respond to temptation?
What will be the end result if you properly handle temptation?
Does God tempt you?
Where does temptation come from?
What's the result of giving in to the temptation?

Reflect

Have you ever been tempted and sinned, and then when you looked back on it, you realized that you walked right into that temptation. Maybe you ignored the warning signs, or for some reason, thought you could handle the temptation. Well, Scripture tells us exactly what we should do in such a situation.

Don't do as the wicked do,
and don't follow the path of evildoers.
Don't even think about it; don't go that way.
Turn away and keep moving" (Proverbs 4:14-15 NLT).

"Run from anything that stimulates youthful lust. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts" (2 Timothy 2:22).

Write down the best action to take when tempted?
Plan ahead. Determine how you can avoid situations where you may be tempted.
If you find yourself in a tempting situation, ask the Lord for His strength to get out of the setting as fast as you can. This is the time to run first; pray later. Or better still, run first--while you are praying!

Respond

Jesus Himself taught us to pray,

"Don't let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one" (Matthew 6:13, NLT).

That's a wonderful petition to pray not only for ourselves but for others. Here's what Dr. Woodrow Kroll, radio Bible teacher at Back to Bible, shared from his life: "I've often been asked what I pray for my children. I never pray for my girls to be great women of faith. I never pray for my son, who's a pastor by the way, I never pray for him to become a great preacher of the Word. But I do pray this for my children; I've always prayed, 'Lord, don't let them fall into sin' because I figure as long as they stay away from temptation and don't wander down a path that leads them into sin, God will take care of the rest of their lives."

Make this your prayer this week as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 6, 2012
Topic: God's Love

The Power of a Friend

I've lost my car keys--on more than one occasion. And I don't know what's more frustrating, the time I spend looking for my keys or the realization that if I'd pulled the couch back just another inch I could have ended my search much earlier.

But let's change the situation. Let's say you are the lost object. You see caring people and organizations all around you who appear to want to help those who are lost and hurting. But they somehow never see your need. Would you feel frustrated?

Receive

John 5 tells about a man who'd been crippled for 38 years. He'd spent his days near a pool of water called Bethesda in Jerusalem. People believed the water would heal the sick if they climbed into it at just the right time. When asked why he'd never climbed in, the man answered, "Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am going another steps down before me" (John 5:7, ESV). In other words, he had no one to help.

In Mark 2, we see another crippled man. When Jesus came to his town, he must've hoped Jesus would notice him; but with the crowds around, his expectations were probably not very high. Imagine, then, his joy when his friends tore back the roof of the house where Jesus was speaking and lowered him down to the very feet of Jesus.

Both these men were healed, but the second example shows us the impact that we can have on the lives of others. The first man had no friends. No one reached out to him, and for 38 years he lived by the side of a pool hoping for a miracle. The other crippled man wasn't alone. Four men reached out to him and brought him to the very feet of Jesus.

Reflect

Are there those around you today who could use a friend who cares? Reach out to them. Get some friends and show them God's love. And someday you'll know the joy of the crippled man's friends when they heard Jesus say to him, "My son, your sins are forgiven" (Mark 2:5, ESV).

As you read John 5:1-17 and Mark 2:1-12 think about the following questions:

In both these passages, who objected to the healing of the crippled men?
What was the reason in each case?
In addition to healing them, what else did Jesus do for these men?

Respond

The example of these four friends shows that reaching out to those in need doesn't have to be a solo affair. If you're in a small group at your church, look for a need that you can address together. Talk to your pastor or church leaders. Prepare by praying that God would lead you to a specific person or family that needs to hear of His love. Praise God for the opportunity to serve Him.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 7, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational, Obedience/Discipleship

Do What Jesus Says

WWJD--that stands for: "What would Jesus do?" It's a great question. And in the Bible we see Him do a lot of things that give us an awesome example to follow. However, the Bible is packed with even more things Jesus said--His instructions for living. So, maybe the better letters would be DWJS--"Do what Jesus says."

Receive

The "Do what Jesus says" concept first shows up in John 2. As Jesus attends a wedding with His friends and His mother, the host family runs out of wine. His mother, Mary, thinks He should do something about it. Then in John 2:5 we read, "His mother said to the servants, 'Do whatever he tells you'" (ESV). I'm not sure what she anticipated, but she said the right thing--do what Jesus says.

So, what did Jesus say we're to do? Read through the Gospels, and you'll find a wealth of instruction. Let's look at just a few we can "do" each day.

Matthew 4:19: "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" (ESV).

Matthew 5:16: "Let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven" (ESV).

Matthew 6:31-32: "So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs" (NLT).

Luke 6:27-28: "But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you" (NLT).

Luke 6:37-38: "Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven. Give, and you will receive" (NLT).

Luke 17:3-4: "If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' you must forgive him" (ESV).

Reflect

Throughout the Gospels, Jesus offers direct statements, illustrative stories or real-life examples that guide us through life. Matthew 5 and 6 is a teaching session Jesus had with His followers. Take a few minutes to read through these chapters.

What attitudes does Jesus want you to cultivate? Which are hardest for you?
How are you to treat other people? How well do you think you're doing with this?
What instructions does He give for responding to those who don't treat you well?
What does He say about your relationships with family? With people around you?
What about your relationship with God?
What do these actions say about your heart?

Read Matthew 7:24-27 and describe what happens when you hear and obey Jesus.

Respond

When you start "doing what Jesus says" instead of just asking what He'd do, you move from considering a suggestion ("here's an example you might want to follow") to obedience ("act on my instructions"). Obedience is our positive response to God's Word to us. He speaks; we hear and we take action. And it flows out of love: when you love someone you want to do your best for him or her.

Obeying Christ shows Him that we love Him, and it's visible evidence to others as well. John 14:23-24 tells us, "Jesus answered him, 'If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me'" (ESV). And by the way, Jesus was our best example of obedience, too--obedient to His Father in all things, even death (Philippians 2:8 ).

Do a self-check: Am I doing what Jesus says? Or just wondering what He'd do? Do I obey out of love? Do I take His instructions seriously and make them part of my life? Can anyone around me tell that I'm doing what Jesus says?

If this is a new idea for you or one you struggle with, ask Jesus for His help. Remember, He also says, "Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you" (Matthew 7:7, ESV).

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 10, 2012
Topic: Salvation

Born Again

Do you remember all the steps you went through to join your family? The application you filled out, the questionnaires about your future plans, the endless interviews with potential mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters? And then the whole probationary period when you had to be on your best behavior or you'd be shopping for a new family all over again?

You don't!?

Well, I don't either and for a good reason. Becoming a member of a family doesn't work that way--even if you're adopted. Generally, you're born into a family; and you'll die as a member of that family. No matter how good or bad the relationships get in between, the people you are related to are your family.

So, if we can't earn or buy our way into our families here on earth, what makes us think we can do that when it comes to God's family?

Receive

You see, you become a member of God's family the same way you become a member of your family here on earth: you're born into it. "Unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3, ESV). That's what Jesus said to Nicodemus. And Nicodemus asked a very natural follow-up question: "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?" (John 3:4, ESV).

Yes, there is a difference between being born and being born again. You had no choice about your first birth. But when it comes to being born again, there is a choice to be made--by you and by God. See, it's God's family you'd be born into; so, naturally, He gets a say in the matter. And here's what He says: "For God so loved the world, that he gave [my] his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16, ESV).

God's choice is this: He wants you to join Him in heaven. That means there are no good deeds you can do to make God accept you into heaven--He's already accepted you. All you have to do is respond to Him, for "everyone who believes in him will have eternal life" (John 3:15, NLT).

Being born into God's family is something that has immediate benefits. We get a new outlook on life. We get a peace that comes from seeing life from God's perspective. We get a genuine love and compassion for others. Sure, these things don't come overnight--after all, you weren't born physically as a 25-year-old--but as you grow and mature in God's family, they'll become a part of your life.

Reflect

Based on John 3:1-21, think about the following questions:

We read that not only is Jesus providing a way into God's family, He's also saving us from something. What is that?
What does it mean that whoever does not believe "is condemned already" in verse 18?

Respond

If you've ever felt like you need to live up to God's standards before He'll let you near heaven, let this message sink in: You're already accepted.

If you live in constant fear that you'll slip up and God will disown you, remember: He'll always love you. Even if you've already made the choice to be born into God's family, take some time today to think about these truths.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 11, 2012

How Deep is His Love

Remember that 70s song, "How Deep is Your Love"? The singer describes the depth of his love, but he's wondering if his beloved loves him just as deeply. There's a little insecurity there about the substance and reality of love. Sometimes we wonder the same thing about God's love. We get a little insecure when all we need to do is open up His Word and see that His love is so deep, there's really no end to it.

Receive

First, remember that God is love. 1 John 4:7-8 says "Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love" (NLT, emphasis added). God is love, completely and totally. He can never be other than that, just as He can never be something other than God. And as the very essence of love, He is also the source of love.

So, how do we see the depth or extent of His love? While the Bible is filled with God's love revealed, John 3:16 offers a succinct description: "For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life" (NLT). God's love for you--and every other person in the world--is so deep, He made the ultimate sacrifice so that you can live forever with Him. Jesus is the Son (also God) who willingly died to pay the penalty for your sin. Love that sacrifices its own life is deep love!

1 John 4 underlines it: "God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love--not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins" (1 John 4:9-10, NLT). Even if we didn't return His love, God still loved us enough to make this sacrifice. "But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners" (Romans 5:8, NLT).

Reflect

Love wants the best for the beloved; it gives its all. God did that in sending Jesus; Jesus did that in dying for our sins. But wait, there's more! Read these verses and jot down the gifts you're given because God loves you.

Romans 5:5
Titus 3:4-7
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
Ephesians 2:4-5
Ephesians 3:17-19
Isaiah 63:9

What does God's love give you that no other love can?
How does that influence your view of God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit?

If you're worried that something will block God's love, read Romans 8:35-39.

Respond

This depth of love is extraordinary, and our challenge now is to love as God loves. Remember 1 John 4:7-8? "Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. But anyone who does not love does not know God." (NLT). John goes on to say, "Dear friends, since God loved us that much, we surely ought to love each other. No one has ever seen God. But if we love each other, God lives in us, and his love is brought to full expression in us" (1 John 4:11-12, NLT). That's our part--to love each other deeply, to be willing to sacrifice and serve and to show those around us that God is love and He's in us.

So how deep is your love for God? For other people?
What are you willing to sacrifice in order to live out this love?
What needs to change in how you operate now?

This isn't easy and you'll probably never be "perfect" at it. But you can grow in love. Go back to 1 John 4:7-21 and read it a few times. Write it out and post it where you'll see it frequently. Ask God to help you demonstrate His deep love as you go about your day.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 12, 2012

A Love Like God's Love

Sometimes we become focused on our own little universe. We forget that the world is much larger than our small piece of it, that there are other nations and people. Many of us concentrate only on what we're familiar with--people who look like us, speak like us and believe the way we believe. But God sees the whole world. He knows each person in each culture and on every continent. But can He really love us all?

Receive

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16, NLT).

"We love each other because he loved us first" (1 John 4:19, NLT).

"God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. This is real love--not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins (1 John 4:9-10, NLT).

For whom did God send His Son?
Whom does God love?
Why should we love others?

Reflect

John 3:16 tells us that God loves the world, the entire world. It's hard for us to grasp how many people are in the world. And when the Bible says, "the world," it doesn't mean only the world today; it means everyone who has ever lived on this earth: the multitudes who died before you were born. He loves everyone: the men and women who are homeless and hungry; those making terrorist threats around the world; your neighbors and, yes, even you. He loves those who don't even believe in Him. But what about you? Do you love the world? Do you see the world the way Christ does? Ask yourself:

When was the last time I showed love to someone who wasn't like me?
How long has it been since I've shared the Gospel with someone of another faith or a different culture?

Respond

Sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zones. We have to remember that God loves us all the same, and we should love others the same. Take time today to pray and thank God for His love. Pray that you will be able to show that love He's given to you to someone who needs to see it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 13, 2012
Topic: Love

Living in Love

You and I have a decision to make today and every day. Often we don't even think about it. Sometimes it's easy; other times we want to avoid it all together. The decision we have to make is whether or not we'll choose to act in love.

God wants us to show love to others. And He doesn't leave us without an example. In fact, God Himself is the greatest possible example. Psalm 40, written by David, shows us how God demonstrates love, how we can follow that example and how God responds to those who love--and to those who don't.

Receive

In Psalm 40:1-5, we find at least five ways God demonstrates love toward David:

God listens to and hears the cry of David (Psalm 40:1).
God saves David from destruction (Psalm 40:2)--an early picture of the salvation God offers to all of us through Jesus.
God gives David a new song to sing (Psalm 40:3).
God pours out blessings and goodness towards those who trust Him (Psalm 40:4-5).

Now, we can follow God's example in one of two ways. The wrong way, seen in verses 6-7, is to use actions to cover attitudes. It's true that God commanded Israel to make certain sacrifices and offerings; but if you've ever used the phrase, "It's better to ask forgiveness than permission," you know the kind of attitude the Israelites had. Rather than doing the right thing to begin with, they lived their own way and then tried to "make up" for it with their sacrifices.

There is a better way. That way is mentioned in verse 8,
"I take joy in doing your will, my God,
for your instructions are written on my heart" (Psalm 40:8 NIV).

In this verse "religion" (outward actions designed to win God's favor) has been replaced with a relationship. David is following God, who has shown love to him because he wants to, not because he has to. Read verses 9-10; then ask yourself how likely it would be for someone to be saying those things solely from a sense of obligation.

Reflect

Read verses 9-17 and think about the following questions:

How does God respond to those who love Him?
We see in these verses people who choose not to love God--how do they treat those who love God?
What is the end result of choosing to follow God's example of love? (See verses 16-17).

Respond

Who around you today could use a glimpse of God's love? Share a smile with the clerk at the grocery store. Open the door for someone. If you have an opportunity, share with someone how God has touched your life. Share how He hears your prayers and how He saved your life.

Most of all, spend some time getting to know God through the Bible. Without that relationship with Him, anything you do will just boil down to outward actions without the inward attitudes.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 14, 2012
Topic: Jesus, Obedience/Discipleship, Evangelism

To See as Jesus Sees

Do you see people around you the way Jesus saw those around Him? Maybe it's time to check your spiritual vision. When Jesus looked at people, He saw their hearts and lives. He knew their deepest needs, and that He could meet those needs. He wasn't blinded by the surface details like race or social standing.

Receive

One great example of Jesus' vision is in John 4, where Jesus talks with a woman by a well in Samaria. She obviously had a need for water or she wouldn't have been at the well. But Jesus looks further. "Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, "Give me a drink," you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water'" (John 4:10, ESV).

She needs more than a quick drink--she needs spiritual life. "Jesus said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:13-14, ESV).

It would've been easy for Jesus to ask her for a drink of water and then go His way. But there's more at stake here--she needs life, eternal life, a life that's transformed forever. Jesus also knew the details of her daily conduct but instead of an attack, He gave her an opportunity to believe and experience new life. "So the woman left her water jar and went away into town and said to the people, 'Come, see a man who told me all that I ever did. Can this be the Christ?'" (John 4:28-29, ESV).

By contrast, when Jesus' disciples showed up at the well, they couldn't look beyond this woman's status, nationality and moral condition. They "marveled" that Jesus was talking with her. When she left the well, the disciples quickly forgot about her. Their minds turned to the physical need for food, and they urged Jesus to eat. But Jesus had an answer for that too: "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. Do you not say, 'There are yet four months, then comes the harvest'? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest" (John 4:34-35, ESV). Jesus found His fuel in doing God's will, in changing hearts and lives and meeting spiritual needs.

Reflect

Take a look at a few other verses and describe how Jesus saw people.
Matthew 9:36-37
Mark 8:1-10
Luke 19:1-10
John 5:1-15

What needs did Jesus see?
How did He meet them?

Respond

So, how do you see people? Do you look at how they're dressed or what they drive or do for a living? Do you ever wonder about their spiritual condition? Or are you distracted or even intimidated by what you see? Often, we're so caught up in people's social status, appearance and lifestyle that we write them off and forget they have spiritual needs that only Jesus can meet. Wealth and good looks can disguise spiritual need just as easily as weird clothes and rough language.

The next time you're at the grocery store or some other public place, look at the around you. Take a moment and evaluate how you see people. What do you notice first? What barriers come up, based on this quick impression? You may not have opportunity for conversation at this point but start re-training your vision. How would Jesus see this person? What questions might He ask?

Use these thoughts to prepare yourself for other conversations you will have--at work, at the store or salon, when you're waiting at the doctor's office or meeting your teen's new friends. And pray for God to open your eyes and to speak His words when those conversations come up.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 17, 2012
Topic: Jesus, Salvation, Faith/Trust

Whoever Believes

I love the fact that God loves me. In fact He loves me so much He made it possible for me to be saved from sin and given eternal life. But it's not His love that's my salvation. God's love is the truck delivering the gift of salvation all wrapped up in Jesus. I unwrap that gift when I believe. That's what John 3:16 is about.

Receive

John 3:16 tells us, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life" (ESV). God's love prompted Him to provide us with a way to be cleansed of our sins and receive eternal life. That "way" is through Jesus, who died on the cross as payment for our sins. That's the gift of salvation, unwrapped when we believe.

Believe what? That Jesus died for us, to save us from condemnation. "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him" (John 3:17, ESV) and that He alone gives you eternal life (John 3:16).

Faith means putting your confidence in Jesus, believing that what He did through His death and resurrection is all that God required to take care of your sins and give you eternal life. It's a gift to be received, not earned. In Ephesians 2:8-9, Paul writes "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast" (ESV).

Reflect

So, what do you believe? Are you satisfied knowing that God loves you and hoping that covers you? Or have you put your faith and trust in Jesus and God's plan for your salvation? Take a look at a few more passages.

Acts 4:11-12
Acts 10:37-43
2 Timothy 1:8-10
Titus 3:4-5

How does salvation come?
What are we to do to get it?
In your own words, create your statement of faith for salvation through Jesus Christ.

Respond

Faith is a hard thing to quantify or define. But if you're putting your faith in or trusting your life to Jesus, it's going to mean your whole life: body, mind, spirit.

Think of it this way: It's like putting all your money in one bank. You can learn everything about the bank, its reputation, security systems and services; you may accept all the terms and conditions, maybe even personally know people who work there. But until you actually deposit your money in it, you haven't put your "faith" in that bank.

God's plan for your salvation is way better than any bank. Now you can know all about God, His love, His expectations, His character and even about His Son. But until you "deposit" your life into His hands and put your faith in Jesus....you're missing out on salvation. So, what about you today? Are you among "whoever believes"?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Bible Minute Bible Study

Date: Sep 18, 2012

Title: One Way and Only One

If you take a trip to the city of Kyongju, South Korea, you can visit Pulguksa temple. A monk will welcome you and get you started on a guided tour of the Buddhist shrine. Your guide will show you the ancient, ornately-decorated buildings and several religious artifacts from Korea's long-distant past.

Inside the temple, your guide will point out to you a dark stack of incredibly old, very dusty, spider-webbed and unused books--books that have rested on the same shelf in the same corner of the temple for centuries. They contain, your guide will inform you, much wisdom from ages gone by. But you'll note the books are not opened; they are too precious to touch because of their antiquity.

King Solomon wrote, "Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh" (Ecclesiastes 12:12, ESV). A visit to some of your local bookstores will convince you that his opinion is right on.

Of all the books in the world, books in every language and on every subject, only one brings us living, life-changing, eternal truths about ourselves and God. It is the Bible.

Receive

If you hunger to find one truth from God that you dare not face eternity without, where should you go in the Bible to discover it? Well, here it is, in John 3:16-18, ESV).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Read that entire passage over carefully and think about the following questions:

Who is God's gift to the world? (v. 16).

What in God's nature moved Him to give such a gift? (v. 16).

On what does a person's eternal state depend? (v. 16).

What is not God's purpose for sending His Son into the world? What is His reason? (v. 17).

What do you see in verses 16 and 18 that prove verse 17 is not saying the whole world will be saved?

How many times do you find forms of the word, "believe," in John 3:16-18?
From reading verse 18, how can you know whether you are under God's condemnation or not?

Reflect

"Believing" is not simply agreeing in your mind that what God has done for you is true.
Saving faith or belief involves placing your complete trust in Christ's sacrificial substitution for you on the cross, not depending upon your good works, religious opinions or positive human qualities to help you avoid God's condemnation.

No other book in the world is ever going to give you a better answer to your soul's eternal need. In fact, no other book can!

Respond

John 3:16-18 is not the only passage in the Bible that speaks plainly about God's one way of salvation. Look up the following passages in your Bible, then see if you can find other places in the Bible where His way of salvation is made clear.

John 3:36
John 1:12
1 John 5:10-13

Wouldn't you like to know more about God's wonderful way of salvation? Visit the Meet Jesus page.

Meet Jesus:
Back to the Bible - Jesus Who? -

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Sep 19, 2012

Only One Plan

Michel Lotito of Grenoble, France, is one of the most unusual individuals in the world, at least when it comes to his culinary tastes. Since 1959, at the age of nine, Mr. Lotito has daily dined on metal and glass. According to The Guinness Book of Records, he consumes 2 pounds of metal per day. So far he has eaten, among other things, ten bicycles, a supermarket cart, seven TV sets, six chandeliers, a low-calorie Cessna light aircraft and a computer.

But God is also unique (There's only one like Him.), and He offers you and me a unique plan. (There's no other plan like it.) Let's see what the Bible has to say about this unique plan.

Receive

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16 NLT).

List all the "single" items you find in the verse above.

Your list might include the following unique, singular items:

One God
One world
One Son
One motivation
One way
One eternity
One life

There are those who might question the "one way" on this list. But the Bible makes it clear and plain: God's plan is the only plan--it is unique; there is no other.

In addition God's Word teaches that there is only one unique way to experience God's love--and that's through Jesus.

"Jesus told him, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me'" (John 14:6 NLT).

"Therefore, since we have been made right in God's sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us" (Romans 5:1 NLT).

"Now all of us can come to the Father through the same Holy Spirit because of what Christ has done for us" (Ephesians 2:18 NLT).

"Jesus told her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying (John 11:25 NLT).

"For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity--the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5 NIV).

"He is the one all the prophets testified about, saying that everyone who believes in him will have their sins forgiven through his name" (Acts 10:43 NLT).

"Let me clearly state to all of you and to all the people of Israel that he was healed by the powerful name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, the man you crucified but whom God raised from the dead. For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says,

'The stone that you builders rejected
has now become the cornerstone.'

There is salvation in no one else! God has given no other name under heaven by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:10-12 NLT).

Reflect

If there is only one unique plan, and one unique way to experience God's love and forgiveness, would it make any sense to search for another way?

And if God has, in His love, made known to you how to experience eternal life in Christ, is there any reason why you would not accept God's love and receive Christ as your personal Savior?

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved" (Romans 10:9-10 NLT).

Respond

If you have not yet come to the true Light, Jesus Christ, and want to know more about how to do that, visit our Meet Jesus page.

"For 'Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved'" (Romans 10:13 NLT).

Upvote 0