Distributed Freely by Back To The Bible
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 27, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational, God's Love

The Faithfulness of God

What sort of characteristics do you look for in friends or employees? You probably want people who are honest, hardworking and loyal. What about faithful? Faithfulness is one quality that doesn't seem to be too important in the 21st century. It's hard to find someone who is truly faithful these days. It seems there is a lack of faithfulness in our workplaces and even in our marriages. Fortunately for us, we serve a God who is completely faithful.

Receive

"Your faithfulness extends to all generations,
You established the earth, and it abides" (Psalm 119:90, NLT).

"Understand, therefore, that the LORD your God is indeed God. He is the faithful God who keeps his covenant for a thousand generations and lavishes his unfailing love on those who love him and obey his commands" (Deuteronomy 7:9, NLT).

"The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure" (1 Corinthians 10:13, NLT).

"But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness" (1 John 1:9, NLT).

In what areas is God faithful?

How long does God's faithfulness endure?

How has God shown you His faithfulness?

Reflect

God is consistently faithful to us; therefore, we should strive to be consistently faithful to Him. As Christians, we are to have a relationship with God. Think of the close relationships you have with people in your life: your spouse, your children or your parents. Do you talk to them every once in awhile? More than likely, you are in contact with them every day. Your relationship with God is your most important relationship, yet many times we spend the least amount of time with Him. Consider these questions:

God has proved faithful to me; am I proving myself faithful to Him?

What do I need to do to maintain a consistent relationship with Him?

Respond

First John 1:9 said that God is faithful to forgive our sins. He can only forgive us when we ask Him. Take a moment today to pray and ask God to reveal any sin in your life. When you become aware of the sin in your life, admit it to God and ask for His forgiveness. Make confession and asking God's forgiveness part of your daily prayer life.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 28, 2012
Topic: Faith/Trust

When Is God Faithful?

Sometimes we better understand a question if we frame it in the negative: Instead of asking, "When is God faithful?" we could ask, "When is God not faithful?" The Bible teaches us there is no such time.

Receive

"Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments" (Deuteronomy 7:9 NASB).

When are we most likely to question the faithfulness of God? It often happens when we have been unfaithful, or when we have sinned or given in to temptation. The Bible assures us that even then, not only is God faithful, but He provides help and strength to deal with those situations.

"No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will make the way of escape" (1 Corinthians 10:13).

The key to understanding faithfulness is to know that God is always God. His faithfulness originates from His character, so it does not depend on us or what we do or don't do. If the faithfulness of God does not depend on our situation--it depends on His character--then God will always be faithful to us.

Reflect

Are there times when you've doubted the faithfulness of God? Describe the situation that created the doubt.

Are you able to look back and see now that God was faithful even though it may not have been apparent to you at the time? How has the situation changed?

Do you believe that there is a limit to God's faithfulness? Read Romans 8:32 and write it out in your own words.

The Bible tells us that Jesus is the assurance that God will faithfully and generously be there for us and provide for us.

Respond

Is the faithfulness of God an encouragement to you?

Does it bring a sense of relief and peace?

How does His faithfulness encourage you to be more faithful?

Take a few moments right now to verbally or in written form praise God for His faithfulness, to ask His help in learning to trust His character in every situation and to commit yourself to being faithful to Him as best you can.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jun 29, 2012
Topic: Forgiveness/Unforgiveness

Faithful to Forgive

The story is told of a king who had suffered greatly from his rebellious subjects. One day they surrendered their arms, threw themselves down at his feet and begged for mercy. He pardoned them all. One of his friends asked, "Didn't you say every rebel should die?"

The King replied, "Yes, but I see no rebels here."

That's what God wants to do for us: pardon our rebellion. Let's see what it takes to receive His forgiveness and stop our disobedience.

Receive

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9, ESV).

What must we do to be forgiven?
According to this verse, what is the basis for God's forgiveness?
What is the difference between being forgiven and being cleansed?

Reflect

The word confess means to "agree with." As long as we are not willing to admit to God that we have sinned, God is not able to forgive us. We remain, instead, in a state of rebelliousness. On the other hand, if we're willing to agree with God that we have sinned, He is able through Jesus Christ to not only forgive us but to remove even the stain of sin. God says in Isaiah 1:18,

"'Come now, and let us reason together,'
Says the LORD,
'Though your sins are like scarlet,
They shall be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They shall be as wool.'"

Respond

While confessing our sins to others may be a good way to stay accountable, it is not required in order to be forgiven. Take a piece of paper and write down the sins you need to confess to God. Read them out loud to God; then shred or burn the paper. If you are struggling with a sin that you can't seem to overcome, find a trustworthy friend to be your accountability partner.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 2, 2012
Topic: God's Care, Faith/Trust

Pour Out Your Heart

Ecclesiastes 3:7 tells us there is "a time to keep silence, and a time to speak." And Psalm 62 includes both a time of silent waiting before God (v. 1) and a time to pour out your heart to Him (v. 8 ). So, what does this "pouring out your heart" involve?

Receive

"Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us" (Psalm 62:8, ESV).

Pouring out involves a struggle during which the deepest gut-level emotions and needs of your heart flow out of you and into God's hands. We might call it "spilling your guts." It's when you're honest, earnest and purposeful in what you bring to Him.

Psalm 102 is described as "a prayer of one afflicted, when he is faint and pours out his complaint before the LORD" (emphasis added, notes in ESV). Here's just a sample of the writer's poured-out heart:

"Hear my prayer, O LORD; let my cry come to you!
Do not hide your face from me
in the day of my distress!
Incline your ear to me;
answer me speedily in the day when I call!

For my days pass away like smoke,
and my bones burn like a furnace.
My heart is struck down like grass and has withered;
I forget to eat my bread" (Psalm 102:1-4, ESV).

Among others, Psalms 28 and 31 show us what we can "pour out" to God: need for mercy, need for help, need for refuge, need to be saved from enemies. We can pour out specific needs or issues close to a person's heart; he or she brings to God what matters most and seeks God's face as well as an answer that meets their need and honors God.

Reflect

Look at prayers from an ordinary woman named Hannah and a king named Hezekiah.

1 Samuel 1:9-18

2 Kings 19:1-19

2 Kings 20:1-6

What mattered most to the person praying?
How was God addressed?
What did they seek as a response or answer to their prayer?
How do these prayers differ from yours?

Respond

Remember Psalm 62:8?

"Trust in him at all times, O people;
pour out your heart before him;
God is a refuge for us" (ESV).

Did you notice what comes before pouring out your heart? Trusting in God--at all times, no matter what's going on in your life. It's a lot easier to pour out your heart or share what's really on your mind with someone you trust. Do you trust God with what's on your heart? He is the most trustworthy Friend you could ever have. Not only that, He's the only one powerful enough, wise enough, compassionate enough to take care of you.

What do you need to pour out to God today? Picture it filling a bottle or pitcher. Don't be afraid of what God might think or say about your struggle. Just pour it out; empty it from your heart and into His capable hands.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 3, 2012
Topic: Bible Study/Theories

Open the Book

So what do you know about now about God? Where did you pick up those ideas? I know, you've seen the movies or Veggie Tales videos, or maybe you even remember the old flat flannelgraph boards in Sunday school. Great tools, but they give you an incomplete picture. The best way to find the truth about God is to open the Bible, God's own word to you.

Receive

God is on every page of the Bible, either actively visible or behind the scenes. We see that not only is God the Father there, but Jesus (God the Son) is there too. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" (John 1:1, ESV). From the dawn of creation (Genesis 1) through the glorious eternal future (Revelation 22), you can trace Jesus' part in the Father's unfolding plan.

And it's in the Bible that we discover Jesus brings us eternal life. In John 5:39, Jesus says "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me" (ESV). The Bible or Scripture doesn't save you, but you are saved through the One it bears witness or testifies about. He has "the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God" (John 6:68-69, ESV). You would never know that if you didn't open your Bible.

Through faith in Jesus Christ, who died for your sins, you not only have the gift of eternal life, you have new life today with access to the Father. "Jesus said to him, '"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him'" (John 14:6-7, ESV). It's through Jesus that you get to know God the Father.

Revelation 1:5-6 describes Jesus Christ as "the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth…who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father" (ESV). That's a lot you'd never know about Jesus if you skipped reading His Book.

Reflect

Read through these passages and jot down what you learn about Jesus.

Colossians 1:13-23
Hebrews 1:1-4
Hebrews 2:9-18
Isaiah 52:13-53:12

Did you find something new or something you didn't really think of before?
Where else do you think you could find out more about Jesus?
What are you doing on a regular basis to get to know Jesus better?

Respond

Let's go back to the first question we asked today -- what do you know about Jesus now?

As you've read through these passages and made notes, has it changed your picture of Him?
What do you think matters most to you, today?
What about Jesus can change your view of tomorrow?
How could you take what you know and talk about Jesus with a friend, to your kids, with your spouse?

When you do that, you're not only opening the Book, you're making it part of your life. You're bringing Jesus right in where He wants to be, in your heart, mind and soul.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 4, 2012
Topic: Jesus

Something Better

Here's an exciting opportunity. You just won first prize at the opening of the new bank. You have three minutes, 180 seconds, to carry out of the vault as much cash as you can. What you carry you can keep. But in fact there are two vaults: one filled with $5 bills and the other with $100 bills. In which vault do you begin? Duh!

No brainer, right? You choose the one with the best return. And the same is true when we want to hear from God. God has used many ways in the past to communicate with us, but now He has provided the best way of all. Let's see what that might be.

Receive

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son" (Hebrews 1:1-2, ESV).

What does this verse say about the ways God has spoken to us? What are some of the ways that God has made His Word known in the past? Your answers might include: creation--humankind, the world; men--like poets, preachers and prophets; circumstances; events and conscience (the "oughtness" within).

Today God speaks to us through His Son. What are the advantages of hearing from God through His Son?

"The words that I [Jesus] say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works" (John 14:10, ESV).

Jesus also taught us that He and He alone, was the way to God: Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me" (John 14:6 NKJV).

Reflect

Now, you may ask, don't other religions and philosophies say they’re the way to life or the way to God? While they may claim something like that, there is one huge difference between Christianity and all the others--in Christianity Christ says not only "here is the way" but also I give you the power to live that way.

When you have Jesus teaching you the very words of God, and you have Jesus enabling you to live God's way, then you have something much better than any other religion or philosophy that has ever existed.

Respond

Want know what God says? What to know what God's will for your life is? Want to know how to have a personal relationship with God? Take your Bible, go to the Gospels, read about what Jesus said and did--and you'll discover for yourself the very words of God.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 5, 2012

The Greatest Prophet

What do people do that irritates you? Maybe a lot of things. But according to one survey, a majority of people consider the most obnoxious personality trait in others is "a lack of dependability." In other words, they can't be trusted to do what they say they will do.

God pointed to dependability as an essential mark of every genuine prophet. Moses warned the people of Israel in Deuteronomy 18:22 (ESV), "When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the word does not come to pass or come true, that is a word that the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously. You need not be afraid of him."

Today's Bible study will show you how Jesus Christ is a true prophet--infinitely greater than all the other prophets of God.

Receive

When the prophet Moses spoke, he uttered the very truths and promises that he had heard from the Lord. One of God's promises to His chosen people is found in Deuteronomy 18:18-19 (ESV): "I will raise up for them a prophet like you [Moses] from among their brothers. And I will put my words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And whoever will not listen to my words that he shall speak in my name, I myself will require it of him."

There were many remarkable prophets such as Elijah, Elisha, Isaiah, Daniel and John the Baptist. All of them spoke boldly in the name of the Lord, but the great Prophet spoken of in Deuteronomy 18 is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

So Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone's will is to do God's will, he will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own authority" (John 7:16-17 ESV). What Jesus says is totally dependable because He not only speaks God's words. He is the complete revelation of God in the flesh. He is the God-Man, the Way, the Truth and the Life. All that He says about the past, present and future is absolutely dependable. Why would you not listen to a prophet like Him who fully reveals God's message, character and will?

Reflect

God gave some revealing titles to some of His Old Testament prophets. Look up these verses and write down what the prophet is called in each one:

Haggai 1:13
Amos 3:7
Jeremiah 17:16

Now, find the following Scriptures and jot down how Jesus fulfills each of those descriptions:

Luke 4:32
Acts 3:13
John 10:11

Respond

Do you think dependability and integrity are as necessary in the life of today's Christian as they were in the lives of the prophets? Consider carefully 1 Peter 2:11-12 and ask yourself if you are demonstrating that kind of life.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 6, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Looking in the Right Place

Isn't it frustrating to search for something and then finally realize you've wasted all your time looking in the wrong place? Whether you're trying to find the television remote or keys to the car, it seems they're never where you thought they were. It's kind of like listening for God. We tend to look in all the wrong places for Him to speak to us. So, where do we go to hear what God has to say to us? Let's take a look.

Receive

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right" (2 Timothy 3:16, NLT ).

Why can we trust that the words in the Bible are true?

So Jesus said, "When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I A m he. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me" (John 8:28, NLT).

So Jesus told them, "My message is not my own; it comes from God who sent me" (John 7:16, NLT).

"Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. And now in these final days, he has spoken to us through his Son. God promised everything to the Son as an inheritance, and through the Son he created the universe" (Hebrews 1:1-2, NLT).

Where does Jesus get His authority to say the things He says?

How did God speak to people in the past?

How does God speak to us now?

Reflect

When Jesus came to earth, He came with the words of the Father. God speaks to us through His Son, Jesus. Every word in the Bible that was uttered by Jesus is spoken to us directly by God. If we want to hear God, we have to spend time reading the words spoken by Him through Jesus, which are found in the Bible.

Think back to a time when you were searching for God's direction about something and ask yourself these questions.

Was I spending quality time every day in the Bible?

Was I looking in the right places to hear God speak to me?

Have I been taking advantage of the communication God wants to have with me?

Respond

God is not silent or distance or somewhere far off in space where we can never speak to Him. God gave Jesus the words to speak so that we could have communication with Him. He's done His part, and now we have to do our part. Find a time in your day when you can be alone and quiet. It might be early in the morning, during a break at work or even late at night. Find what works best for you and spend as much time as you can reading the Bible. If you're looking for the voice of God, there's only one place you can find it--and that's in His Word.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 9, 2012
Topic: Salvation

The Greatest Creation of All

In December of 1995, scientists aimed the Hubble Space Telescope at one thin sliver of sky near the handle of the Big Dipper. From the 342 pictures they took, they concluded that the Universe is five times bigger than they thought--containing 50 billion galaxies instead of only 10 billion.

As awesome as God's physical creation might be, there is another creation that is greater yet. It's the spiritual creation that occurs when we place our trust in Jesus. At that moment, according to the Bible, something amazing happens.

Receive

"Therefore if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come" (2 Corinthians 5:17-18, NASB).

According to this verse what happens when a person places their trust in Jesus?
What "old things" do you think Paul is referring to as "passed away"?
What kinds of "new things" have come in the life of a believer?

Reflect

Consider your life since you accepted Christ. What kinds of things are no longer present in your life because of your relationship with Christ? If you received Christ at an early age, what kinds of things never got a foothold in your life to begin with?

As a new creature (some versions say a "new creation"), what new traits (love, joy, peace) or habits (praying, reading your Bible) do you see in your life?

Respond

Make a list of things which need to pass away from your life. Make a second list of character traits and/or habits that need to be more obvious in your life. Select one item out of each of these lists you would like to see gone and another item you would like to see strengthened. Make these items a matter of prayer until you see a change taking place.

Additional Scripture: John 3:3,16, Romans 5:8

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 10, 2012
Topic: God

The Real God

There are some shaky and inaccurate beliefs about God in our world today. Many people don't have any idea who God is or how to relate to Him. They might believe God is distant and unconcerned. Or that you and I are on our own in the universe. Some might even insist that God didn't create men and women--that we just evolved.

But instead of listening to what some people say, let's listen to what God says. If you want to know the real God, the God who is in charge of everything, you need look no further than the Bible.

Receive

The whole Bible, all 66 books of it, is God's Word given to us. So all of it is useful for finding out about who God is and what He desires of us. But let's look specifically at Hebrews 1:1-3.

"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets" (Hebrews 1:1, ESV). God speaks to us. This verse specifically talks about the prophets that relayed God's messages. Many of those prophets also wrote down God's words and those writings form much of our Old Testament. God's words given to the prophets were meant first for the Jewish people--but then for us also.

"But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom he also created the world" (Hebrews 1:2, ESV). More recent than the prophets, God spoke to us through His Son, Jesus. Jesus is the creator of the world and the heir of all things. Jesus speaks to us the words of God.

"He [Jesus] is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Hebrews 1:3, ESV).

Not only is Jesus the creator of the universe, He is also the forgiver of our sins. Jesus "upholds the universe by the word of his power." And later in Hebrews we see that Jesus is "able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25, ESV).

He is the Lord of all creation and Savior of our souls. He is the One who scattered the stars in the heavens and has numbered the hairs on our heads. He is God, the second Person of the Trinity, and a friend we can draw near to. Why would we need anything else?

Reflect

As you read Hebrews 1:1-3, think about the following questions:

Knowing that God is creator of all things, what does that say about human origins?

What does God do in these verses to demonstrate His love for us?

Why is it important to you and me that Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father?

Respond

God has used the words of Psalm 139 to comfort and encourage many people since David wrote it nearly 3,500 years ago. This psalm is one of the most beautiful descriptions of God's intimate care and involvement in our lives. Read through Psalm 139 and pick out a couple of verses that really speak to you. Take those verses and write them out on paper in big letters. Decorate it and hang it up where you will see it often. If you prefer, use a computer and word processing program.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 11, 2012
Topic: Jesus, God

God or Jesus?

Is it possible to believe in God and yet not be certain about Jesus? Not according to the Bible.

Receive

The Bible makes this seemingly outlandish claim:

Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation" (Colossians 1:15, NLT).

And then Scripture goes even further:

"My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him" (Matthew 11:27, NLT).

And to tie it all up, God's Word also says:

Jesus answered, "Since you don't know who I am, you don't know who my Father is. If you knew me, then you would know my Father, too" (John 8:19, NLT).

Is it possible for someone to know the God of the Bible and not know Jesus? The Bible says that the more you know Jesus, the more you know God?

Reflect

Which is more important on an airplane, the right wing or the left wing? If you're going to fly, you must have both wings.

List the truths the Scriptures above teach about the connection between God and Jesus.

Respond

The God of the Bible is known only through His Son, Jesus. The only way to a relationship with God is through Jesus.

"'Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me'" (John 14:6 KJV).

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 12, 2012
Topic: Christian Living/Situational

Knowing God

How do you go about getting to know someone better? You spend time with them. You learn what they like and what they don't like. You talk with them. But what about God? Can we get to know God the same way we get to know other people? Can we actually personally know God? Let's dig deeper into His Word to see what it has to say about knowing God.

Receive

"And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. If someone claims, 'I know God,' but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. But those who obey God's word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did" (1 John 2:3-6, NLT).

"The Father and I are One" (John 10:30, NLT).

"Where is your father?" they asked. Jesus answered, "Since you don't know who I am, you don't know who my Father is. If you knew me, you would also know my Father" (John 8:19-20, NLT).

In light of these verses, ask yourself the following questions:

Is it possible to know God and not know Jesus?

What does the Bible say about someone who claims to know God but doesn't follow the commandments?

How do we show God that we love Him?

Reflect

Some people think that since we can't see God, we can't really know Him. How, again, do you get to know someone? It's by spending time with them, right? You don't get to know someone because you can see them; it's spending time with them that helps you get to know them. To get to know God, you must spend time with Him in prayer and through reading His Word. Ask yourself these questions:

Do I really know God personally (have I asked Jesus to be my Savior), or do I just know about Him? If you need help with this, go to the "Meet Jesus" page on our website.

Am I spending quality time with Him each day?

Respond

Like any relationship, the one you have with God demands your time and effort. Spend time with God every single day. Get to really know Him by reading the Bible and spending quality time in prayer.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 13, 2012

The Sacrifice Like No Other

Maybe you've wondered why the Old Testament has so much to say about sacrifices and offerings. The first murder in the Bible came about when Abel's offering was accepted by God and Cain's wasn't. In the Book of Leviticus, you find chapter after chapter full of detailed instructions to the priest of Israel about how to properly approach God through animal sacrifices and other offerings. According to Numbers 28 and 29, there were at least 1,273 official offerings each year, making nearly two million sacrifices in the years from Moses to Christ, not to mention millions and millions more private offerings. But every one of them was insufficient in itself to accomplish the lasting forgiveness of sin!

Next, turn to the New Testament. We find there a breath of fresh air! Carefully read what God says in the following verses from the Book of Hebrews.

Receive

"And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified" (Hebrews 10:11-14, ESV).

On the cross, Jesus, the sacrificial Lamb of God, paid the price for your salvation with His own blood, then "sat down at the right hand of God," because the saving work He came to accomplish was eternally completed by that single sacrifice.

Reflect

Have you thought about what Christ's sacrifice on the cross means to the believer? In the following verses, you will find several gifts that He obtained for you through His death. Look up these Scriptures and write down all the benefits you find.

Romans 6:5-6
Galatians 2:19-20
Galatians 3:13
Colossians 2:13-14
Hebrews 2:14-15

Respond

Go back through each of the items you recorded in the section above. Think over what each one means to you personally. As you go through the list, thank God in prayer for the riches He has given you because of the sacrificial death of Christ.

If you haven't made these riches your own, you can right now by believing Christ and asking Him in prayer to forgive your sins and save you. He is ready and waiting!

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 16, 2012

Gift of the Spirit

When you're in school and looking for a job, there's really only one thing you're concerned about--what the job pays. Once you're out of school and looking for a career, though, the size of the paycheck isn't all that matters. You have to begin looking at the benefits a company offers such as the kind of insurance coverage you get, the retirement plan and how many sick/vacation days a year are being offered.

Because you will be spending a significant part of your life in your career, the benefits package is very important. The Christian life also comes with a benefits package. We all know the big benefits--salvation from our sins and an eternity in heaven; but that's not all.

Receive

In his letter to the Romans Paul lists several benefits that come with faith in Christ. "Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ" (Romans 5:1, ESV).

We've been justified and can now have peace with God. Through our faith, we've been "set right" with God. Before, we were under His judgment; now we are under His mercy and can experience the peace of knowing that our God and Savior is in control.

"Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God" (Romans 5:2, ESV).

Because we are now under God's mercy, we have access to His grace--the giving nature of God. Read through your Bible, and find all the promises God makes--you'll have a hard time counting them. Now, that we've been made right with God through our faith, we stand ready to receive those promised gifts.

"God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us" (Romans 5:5, ESV).

And then we come to the greatest gift given to believers this side of heaven--the Holy Spirit. The person of God Himself dwelling inside each of us. The Holy Spirit is God's assurance that He will come again. He is your seal of salvation and the proof of your faith.

We'll look at this more in the next section.

Reflect

As you read Romans 5:1-5 do the following activities and answer the questions:

Write out some of the benefits you enjoy every day because you believe in Jesus. (They might be included in the preceding verses or they could be other benefits you recognize.)
How does the Holy Spirit make it possible for us to experience hope and peace?
What's your current motivation for serving?
How is it that we can even rejoice in sufferings?

Respond

One thing that distresses many young Christians is that they don't feel saved. But think of it this way: There are a lot of things that are true about you even if you don't necessarily feel it. Your brain is working now; your heart is beating; your lungs and other organs are working like they should and the majority of the time you're not consciously aware of it. And just because you're not explicitly aware of the Spirit's presence in your life a hundred percent of the time, that doesn't mean He's not there. But over time and with the Spirit's guidance, you'll find yourself becoming more and more like Christ.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 17, 2012
Topic: Bible Study/Theories

Better Life

There are a lot of things I need to renew regularly: my driver's license, my magazine subscriptions, my medical prescriptions and my home owner's insurance (to name just a few). But when it comes to my salvation, that's permanent.

Receive

It wasn't always like this though. The author of Hebrews tells us about a time when men and women had to seek atonement from their sins regularly. It was when the Jewish people lived under the Old Covenant, the Law of Moses.

"For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near" (Hebrews 10:1, ESV).

On a certain day, the high priest of Israel would make a sacrifice and the sins of the people would be covered. But one year later, he would make another sacrifice and the year after that and the year after that....The sacrifice of goats and bulls was never enough to permanently remove the stain of sin--only to temporarily cover it. As a result "in these sacrifices there is a reminder of sin every year" (Hebrews 10:3, ESV).

It's one thing to live with the constant responsibility of renewing your licenses, prescriptions and insurance but imagine having to constantly renew your salvation. What a depressing life! But cheer up, we can have a better life.

"But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God....For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified" (Hebrews 10:12,14, ESV).

What the blood of bulls and goats couldn't accomplish, the blood of Jesus did. After Christ had removed our sins with His blood, we read that, "he sat down." His work was done. There is no more need for sacrifices; no renewals are necessary.

When we ask Jesus to cover our sins with His blood, He does it. They are gone forever. As a result, we can have a better life knowing that no matter how bad we mess up, our salvation is secure.

Reflect

As you read Hebrews 10:1-3 and 10-14, think about the following question:

Have you ever felt like you had lost your salvation? What does Hebrews 10:12,14 say about this issue?

Respond

Find a good Bible dictionary or a reputable Bible website such as searchgodsword.org or studylight.org and look up the following words: Atonement; Sanctification; Forgiveness. What do each of those words mean? How do they relate to the life of the believer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 18, 2012

Jesus the High Priest

Ever had to go to the boss's office for an evaluation? That can be an event filled with anxiety. But how much more anxiety will there be when you stand before God for an evaluation of your life? The Bible says that Jesus, as your High Priest, can help. Here's what the Bible teaches.

Receive

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God. Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable. So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe" (Hebrews 4:13-14, NLT).

In the Old Testament, the Jewish people had a high priest whose job it was to make things right with God for the sinning Israelites. Because we also have sin in our lives, we need help in dealing with the consequences of it. In Jesus, God has provided a way to deal with all the sin in our lives. God did it out of love.

"This is real love--not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins" (1 John 4:10, NLT).

Reflect

Isn't it a wonderful thing that because Jesus died on the cross, He can make us right with God?!! Do you ever feel anxious about being in God's presence? Does it make a difference to know that God loves you and accepts you because of our High Priest, Jesus?

"And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven's Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus. By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place. And since we have a great High Priest who rules over God's house, let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ's blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water" (Hebrews 10:19-22, NLT).

Respond

Jesus understands things that perhaps the high priests of the Old Testament didn't understand about our sins. But, better than that, because He is God, He can do something about them. Why not take a few minutes now and thank God for His love and mercy, and thank Him that Jesus is our High Priest who takes away our sin and makes us right with God.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 19, 2012

The Understanding High Priest

The office of high priest was the highest office of spiritual leadership in Israel. The man who held this office was responsible to bring the people's needs and sins before God, to seek forgiveness and aid, and also to represent God to the people. But even the best priest was a needy sinful man, like those he represented. That made him an imperfect high priest. However, God made provision for that: through Jesus, our perfect High Priest. He is the One who understands our weakness and offers hope.

Receive

Jesus is the High Priest who sympathizes with our needs. He understands what it is to be a frail human being, to wrestle with temptation and suffering. Hebrews 4:15 tells us "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin" (ESV).

And God had a reason for this according to Hebrews 2:17-18: "Therefore he [Jesus] had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted" (ESV).

Because He experienced suffering and temptation as a human, Jesus understands and sympathizes with our pain and suffering. However, He wasn't limited by sinfulness or imperfections like we are, which made Him the perfect High Priest, one overflowing in mercy to the sinner. Hebrews 9:26 also tells us that Jesus was not only our priest but our sacrifice, the one who set us free from sin. "He has appeared once for all at the end of the ages to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself" (ESV).

Reflect

How does Jesus know what you're going through? He was tempted too. Read Matthew 4:1-11 (or Luke 4:1-13) and see what He faced. Now, the situations may look different but the underlying issue is there. Check these and jot down parallels in your life.

Temptation to seek a quick fix for physical needs (Matthew 4:3):
Temptation to test God (Matthew 4:6):
Temptation to worship someone or something other than God to gain power and significance (Matthew 4:9):

Each temptation was Satan's way of giving Jesus a shortcut around God's plan. But Jesus instead held onto the Word of God and submitted to doing God's will God's way. This is especially true in what was probably His last temptation just before He was betrayed (Luke 22:39-46).

What kind of temptations do you wrestle with the most?
How has God's Word helped you overcome these temptations?
What effect has temptation had on your walk with God?

Respond

So, what does your battle with temptation have to do with Jesus as your High Priest? Remember, He knows; He sympathizes; and He understands. Look at Hebrews 4:14-15, " Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin" (ESV).

Now add verse 16, "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need" (ESV). Jesus not only understands, He offers you the mercy you need and the grace to help in time of need. When you struggle, go to your perfect High Priest for real help.

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 20, 2012

Faithful Jesus

God called Moses to serve as a leader and priest to His people. He was to speak to them on God's behalf and intercede for them before God. Moses was passionately faithful in his task--even willingly offering himself in place of the people when God wanted to punish them. Sure, he made a few mistakes but God recognized him as one of His most faithful servants. Jesus does the same things Moses did: speaking to people on God's behalf, interceding for them before God--but His faithfulness far outstripped Moses'.

Receive

Hebrews 3:1-6 shows us how Jesus' faithfulness was superior. "Therefore, holy brothers, you who share in a heavenly calling, consider Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, who was faithful to him who appointed him, just as Moses also was faithful in all God's house. For Jesus has been counted worthy of more glory than Moses--as much more glory as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant, to testify to the things that were to be spoken later, but Christ is faithful over God's house as a son. And we are his house if indeed we hold fast our confidence and our boasting in our hope" (ESV). Moses was a faithful servant, carrying out God's commands. But Jesus was a faithful Son, fulfilling God's plan.

In what other way was Jesus faithful? He was faithful as the high priest, making the sacrifice for our sins, according to the will of God. "'You have neither desired nor taken pleasure in sacrifices and offerings and burnt offerings and sin offerings' (these are offered according to the law), then he added, 'Behold, I have come to do your will.' He abolishes the first in order to establish the second. And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all" (Hebrews 10:8-10, ESV).

Through Jesus' faithfulness to God the Father and doing His will, you and I have salvation and more. He was the faithful priest who not only offered the required sacrifice but was Himself that sacrifice.

Reflect

Moses was not officially a high priest (his brother Aaron was) but he did much of the same work. Read Hebrews 5:1-10. Describe what a priest was to do before God and on behalf of the people.

How did Moses do these things?
How did Jesus fulfill the same responsibilities?
What examples do you find of Jesus' faithfulness?
What do you see Jesus doing on your behalf as your High Priest?

Respond

So, what does this have to do with us now? Well, knowing Jesus was faithful in all He did here on earth gives us confidence that He will continue to be faithful to God and to us today and forever. Read Hebrews 10:1-18 and see what Jesus has already done for us. Then read Hebrews 10:19-25.

How are we to respond to Jesus now?
What example do we follow in how we approach God?
How does this influence our actions or fellowship with other Christians?
What will you do today to be faithful like Jesus is?

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 23, 2012
Topic: God's Love

God's Anger

What makes you angry? Maybe it's when someone says something unkind to you. Perhaps it's when another driver pulls out in front of you and almost causes an accident. Or maybe it's at work when you don't feel you're being treated fairly.

Did you know that God also gets angry? But God's anger is not like human anger. Let's look at what the Bible tells us about why God gets angry and what we can do about it.

Receive

"Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming (Colossians 3:5-6, NIV).

What are the "these" that God is angry at?
What does Paul tell Christians to do about "these"

"My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense--Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:1-2, NIV).

How has Jesus dealt with the issue of sin?
How does this affect you and me?

"That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep. But if we judged ourselves, we would not come under judgment. When we are judged by the Lord, we are being disciplined so that we will not be condemned with the world" (1 Corinthians 11:30-32, NIV).

What might happen when Christians willfully sin?
Instead of anger, however, what is God's motive for doing this?

Reflect

What would you think of parents who didn't get angry if someone was threatening to harm their child? You'd probably wonder if those parents truly loved their boy or girl. In a similar way, because God loves you and me, it's understandable that He would get angry when He sees the damage that sin does to us.

But unlike a child who is threatened by an outside source, sin is wrapped up in the person of the sinner. God's wrath can't be directed toward sin without also being directed toward the person in whom the sin dwells. Romans 1:18 says, "The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness" (NIV).

Those who accept Christ as their Savior, however, avoid that wrath. Romans 5:9 assures us, "Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!" (NIV).

Those who reject Christ ultimately will experience the full brunt of God's anger at sin. Romans 2:5 says, "But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed" (NIV).

Which situation do you want to see in your life?

Respond

If you've not accepted Christ as your Savior, take time now to ask God to forgive your sins. Turn from them and put your trust in Jesus and His sacrificial death on the cross. Then thank God for His forgiveness and for His love and ask Him to help you live in a way that pleases Him.

If you already personally know Christ, then give thanks that through Him you have escaped God's wrath toward sin.

Additional Scripture: Romans 8:33-39; Mark 3:5

Upvote 0

nChrist

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Free Email Subscription

Daily Bible Study

Date: Jul 24, 2012

Jesus Above Angels

Angels are popular today. Nearly every major newspaper and magazine over the last few years has run a story about angels. And, of course, many stores offer angel statues, angel jewelry, angel pictures, etc. In fact, a few years back a survey discovered that there are more than 140 stores in the United States that specialize solely in angel paraphernalia.

While angels are certainly a reality, do they deserve all the attention they're receiving these days? Let's look at what the Bible says.

Receive

"For by him [Jesus] all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities--all things were created through him and for him" (Colossians 1:16 ESV).

"Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen" (Romans 1:24-25 ESV).

"Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" (Hebrews 1:14 ESV).

Who created the angels?
What happens when people focus on that which was created rather than the Creator?
What is the true purpose of angels in their relationship with humans?

Reflect

Today's fascination with angels borders on worship. Do you find yourself more attracted to angels than Jesus? Memorize Hebrews 1:4. The next time you're tempted to buy another "angel item," remind yourself who is better--angels or Jesus.

Respond

Take a look around your home and garden. You may also want to consider the jewelry you wear. Is there any indication that angels may be holding a more prominent place in your life than Jesus? Consider removing items that might distract you or others from the Person who should be the primary focus of your attention and adoration.

Upvote 0