• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Best place for an Orthodox Christian to live in the US

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by stmaryofegypt3, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dust and Ashes

Dust and Ashes wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked

+321
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I've never heard of a monastery in Memphis. What is it called? I attend the Antiochian parish in Memphis and have visited the GO and OCA Churches there and the only monestary I know of is St. Paul Skete in Grand Junction which is where the nuns come from to our parish.

2. Shubunkin

Shubunkin Antiochian Orthodox Christian

+593
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think it is exciting to be part of an Antiochian Mission here, and watching this grow. We have more people coming in, babies being born, and we are probably outgrowing our little rented space, so are looking for a church property for sale... perhaps we can move in about two years! We do have other Greek and Antiochian Orthodox Churches (a few Russian Othodox too) in the area that are far more established, but watching our little mission growing is the best thing that ever happened to me. :) We do have a monstery on the coast that is about two to two & a half hours away from here. This is mid-valley California. ;)

3. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+991
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    If you like mountains, I would suggest either Colorado Springs or the Denver area. Colorado Springs has at least a Greek parish and a fairly large OCA parish, and a women's monastery not too far away in Divide (edit: that should be Lake George, not Divide).

Mary

4. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Aye, same here. Our little Greek mission is busting out of our little space and we are negotiating a building right now. I love it - it is exciting.

We have Russian families, Greek families, and the rest are converts.
    I'm not sure where all attended but several are from the Episcopal/Anglican churches in the area.

From Cali to Tn - we are alive and kicking!!

5. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    I am not entirely sure... I looked up monasteries in TN from a website I found in a thread here at TAW. It may have even been this one one a previous page.

What exactly is a mission? I would assume that it's a group of people trying to start an EO church, but... how does that go about?

God's Peace,
    Justin

6. Dust and Ashes

Dust and Ashes wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked

+321
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We just started meeting on Wednesday nights, with the blessing and direction of our priest and bishop, to pray Small Compline. We grew from 6 to about 15 and now our bishop is coming on the 13th to visit and hopefully make us an official mission. Then we should start having Divine Liturgy from time to time until we grow large enough to get a more regular building and become a parish. It is amazing to see how God has worked in this situation.

7. autumngirl

autumngirl Member

+17
    Eastern Orthodox
    Is Archbishop Lazar at the monastary near you?
    Autumngirl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.