• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Best place for an Orthodox Christian to live in the US

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by stmaryofegypt3, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stmaryofegypt3

stmaryofegypt3 Junior Member

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Dear friends in Christ,

I was wondering...if you could live anywhere in the US and wanted to live where there were numerous Orthodox Churches and a fervent Orthodox community and close to an Orthodox monastery and....where would you choose to live? I'm just asking since we are considering moving. Presently we drive 50 minutes to Church and live in a community with few Orthodox Christians. So if we had a choice we would definitely want to be closer to the Church and even have the possibility of attending different Orthodox Churches. And having a monastery within driving distance would be great too.
    Thanks for your help!
    In Christ and the Theotokos,
    Marie

BTW I am in the process of changing my faith icon to Eastern Orthodox if I can ever figure out how:confused:

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    This may help....

United States of America</B>

Orthodox MonasteriesTotal Index: 098
    The index is ordered by State. Please select the state from the following list.
    Note: Only the highlighted states host Orthodox Monasteries
    [​IMG]
    Alabama (AL)
    Alaska (AK) (1)
    Arizona (AZ) (2)
    Arkansas (AR)
    California (CA) (12)
    Colorado (CO) (5)
    Connecticut (CT) (1)
    Delaware (DE)
    District of Columbia (DC)

Florida
    (FL) (4)Georgia (GA) (1)
    Hawaii (HI) (1)
    Idaho (ID)
    Illinois (IL) (3)
    Indiana (IN) (4)
    Iowa (IA)
    Kansas (KS)
    Kentucky (KY)
    Louisiana (LA)
    Maine (ME)
    Maryland (MD) (1)Massachusetts (MA) (3)
    Michigan (MI) (4)
    Minnesota (MN) (1)
    Mississippi (MS) (1)
    Missouri (MO)
    Montana (MT)
    Nebraska (NE)
    New Hampshire (NH)
    New Jersey (NJ) (1)
    New Mexico (NM) (1)
    New York (NY) (14)North Carolina (NC)(3)
    North Dakota (ND)
    Ohio (OH) (8)
    Oklahoma (OK)
    Oregon (OR)
    Pennsylvania (PA) (6)
    Rhode Island (RI)(1)
    South Carolina (SC)(2)
    South Dakota (SD)
    Tennessee (TN)(1)
    Texas (TX) (5)Utah (UT)
    Vermont (VT)
    Virginia (VA) (2)
    Washington (WA) (5)
    West-Virginia (2)
    Wisconsin (WI) (3)
    Wyoming (WY)

3. stmaryofegypt3

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Thanks Orthocat! I am familiar with this website so I'll look at again.....and the one that is the Church locator also. I guess I'm interested in people's experience or people they know who are pleased with where they live because of the above conditions mentioned.
    Thanks again for your help. IN Christ,
    Marie

4. kamikat

kamikat my love is bigger than a cadillac

+332
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I like where I live, in the DC area. I live about 20 minutes from 3 different churches (OCA, Antiochian and GO), about within an hour's drive from probably a dozen more. The only drawback is that we're pretty far from a monastery.

5. kamikat

kamikat my love is bigger than a cadillac

+332
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I'll take care of it for you, it might take a day or two.

6. stmaryofegypt3

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I really appreciate it!
    Blessings!

7. KATHXOYMENOC

KATHXOYMENOC Guest

+0
    Is the story of your change/conversion to Orthodoxy posted here or somewhere?

8. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Well, down here in Nashville, Tn. there aren't many. They are scattered. I've found a new Greek O mission close that we are going to be happy in and there is a new AUOC mission close but I'm not sure about them.
    One that's in Romanian...
    One Antiochian bout 45 minutes away...
    One big Greek O church bout 30 minutes away...

closest Monastery is just south over the border in Gawja...about 3 to 4 hours.

Looks like California has the most going on...but then, it is Cali....

9. stmaryofegypt3

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I know what you mean about Cali... Looks like it is often better being close to a big city because if you are stuck somewhere out in the boondocks then it could be quite difficult. And dh really prefers to be in a more established Church so he is not interested in helping to build a mission....not now anyway.
    Thanks for your thoughts and how it is in Nashville...we actually considered it at one time.
    Peace in Christ!

10. stmaryofegypt3

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    BTW what is AUOC?

11. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

It is the Autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox...
    I do not know much about them but I do not think they are in communion with the rest...

12. Orthocat

Orthocat Veteran

+129
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    and I had it backwards...it is the UAOC.

13. stmaryofegypt3

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes, I googled it and didn't come up with anything remotely close to a Church!

14. Ilian

Ilian Active Member

+27
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    The UAOC is not a canonical Orthodox Church.

I don't know about the best state, but here in Pennsylvania we certainly have a lot of churches and monasteries. Plus we have Kiev West (i.e. Pittsburgh).

15. stmaryofegypt3

+2
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Yes, I have heard and seen that about Pennsylvania...someone else actually suggested it to me.
    Peace in Christ and thanks for the input.
    Marie

16. Spyridon

Spyridon Member

+13
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I also prefer to be in a more established Church, but in south Georgia that is not an option right now. It appears many people have this preference which makes building a mission that much harder.

You have posted a question that has been on my mind for a while. If our mission fails I will need to move so that my family can be a part of an Orthodox community. Hopefully our mission will grow and we will be able to stay here.

17. ModernDaySpyridon

ModernDaySpyridon Senior Member - Orthodox Catechumen

+51
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Might I suggest my own hometown of Portland, OR?

We have a rather large EO presence in the city (especially for a West Coast town ;) ), a very healthy sense of pan-Orthodox communion between the various churches, and it's a great city to live in.:thumbsup:

Plus we have the best coffee in America...trust me. ;)

18. Chacci

Chacci Regular Member

+13
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I would like to 2nd Portland.

Its a great place. Last time my wife and I went there, we almost pulled up roots and moved. St. George Antiochian Church is beautiful! They also have an Orthodox bookstore that appeared to be really good. (it was Sunday, they were closed, but the window shopping was excellent). Also, they have a Pan Orthodox School that I found very interesting.

Another suggestion, as wierd as it will sound, is Salt Lake City, Utah. St. Peter's and Paul is a beautiful church (a converted synagogue - hows that for irony). One of the most diverse churches I've ever been to, they have Russians, Serbians, Ethiopians, with a healthy blend of converts- makes for great Agape meals. Additionaly, Father Basil is great.

Asking for your prayers,
    Chacci

19. Asinner

Asinner Seeking Salvation

+324
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I would move to Southern Wisconsin. There is a mens and womans monastery and a couple more a little north. I hear Washington has some monasteries and is beautiful. Kansas has no monasteries even remotely close, and unless you live in the KC area, prepare to drive a long way.

God Bless :)

20. ThePilgrim

ThePilgrim Veteran

+168
    Eastern Orthodox
    Pittsburgh. Definitely Pittsburgh. We have 110 Churches in the Pittsburgh area, an incredibly wonderful monastery, lots of pan-Orthodox stuff (speakers, retreats, mission work, etc), and a number of godly priests.

John "the biased"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.