USA
✟300,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This could explain what appears to be an arrogant tone behind this quote.

hannes3.png

Hadn't seen that before. It's from 1988. Within 10 years computational cosmologists had clearly demonstrated how to do that (make a clumpy universe from a smooth one) and Alfven was dead. He may have just missed the demonstration that his unfounded claim was wrong.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Wow! He must be right about EVERYTHING!

Say - are you familiar with the fallacy of appeal to (false) authority?

A few years ago, your hero claimed nobody he had ever talked to could explain macroevolution to him. Nick Matzke volunteered to do so, but only if the meeting was recorded. Tour declined.
Wonder why...
Sure I am. Evolutionists use it all the time. "He may be a Noble Prize winner but he's not a biologist, so he's too dumb to understand evolution" kind of argument.

By the way, I have no issue with what is now called micro evolution. It is observable. I do disagree with the conclusions evolutionists come to. Micro evolution is not macro evolution. Micro evolution used to be called adaptation. I much prefer the original term. Too many people conflate micro and macro evolution. They are not the same and it is not possible to prove macro evolution from what is observed in adaptation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Sure I am. Evolutionists use it all the time. "He may be a Noble Prize winner but he's not a biologist, so he's too dumb to understand evolution" kind of argument.

By the way, I have no issue with what is now called micro evolution. It is observable. I do disagree with the conclusions evolutionists come to. Micro evolution is not macro evolution. Micro evolution used to be called adaptation. I much prefer the original term. Too many people conflate micro and macro evolution. They are not the same and it is not possible to prove macro evolution from what is observed in adaptation.

He may not be too dumb to understand evolution but to understand at the level he's arguing he needs expert knowledge.

Macro-evolution is nothing more than the sum total of many micro-evolutionary steps.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
OB​

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

I love the whole "micro and macro evolution are different" argument. No support needed, just throw it out there and assume it must be true. After all, we all walk to the local shops ( micro evolution) in a few minutes but nobody walks from Beijing to Paris (macro evolution) - it's too far, so can't be done.....

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

By the way, I have no issue with what is now called micro evolution. It is observable.
So is macro-evolution. Macro-evolution begins with speciation, and speciation is observable.
do disagree with the conclusions evolutionists come to. Micro evolution is not macro evolution. Micro evolution used to be called adaptation. I much prefer the original term. Too many people conflate micro and macro evolution. They are not the same and it is not possible to prove macro evolution from what is observed in adaptation.
Why not? They proceed by the exact same process of variation and selection.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

What do you think is the difference?

Also, I just created a dedicated thread on the subject. If you want you can always post your response there: Creationists: Explain your understanding of microevolution and macroevolution

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
He may not be too dumb to understand evolution but to understand at the level he's arguing he needs expert knowledge.

Macro-evolution is nothing more than the sum total of many micro-evolutionary steps.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
OB​
People have difficulty with time spans far beyond the grasp of first person intuitions.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,861.00
Faith
Atheist
This could explain what appears to be an arrogant tone behind this quote.
hannes3.png
[Sorry, I missed this post]

To be fair, he's not saying it's impossible, just that he never thought it possible; I could imagine a continuation along the lines of, "... but I could be convinced by...".

Having said that, you may well be right! It's hard to tell without more context.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So is macro-evolution. Macro-evolution begins with speciation, and speciation is observable.Why not? They proceed by the exact same process of variation and selection.

A simple reality that Creationists will never be able to admit to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums