Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
My question concerns those instances where someone states they believe p, and yet their behavior indicates they believe not-p. How are we to understand these instances?

In each example let's be generous and assume each person believes they believe what they say they believe. :)

Example 1
Jim is at the Grand Canyon and says, "I believe it is perfectly safe to walk out on the skywalk." However, when he walks out on it he begins to shake, trembling with fear. Does Jim believe the skywalk is perfectly safe, or no?

Example 2
Betty says that she trusts her boyfriend, Bill. And yet, when Bill is not around she often worries that he is acting in an untrustworthy manner. Does Betty believe Bill is trustworthy, or no?

Example 3
Elmer states that he believes all races are equal. And yet, Elmer exhibits implicit bias in his everyday interactions with those of races other than his own. Does Elmer believe all races are equal, or no?

Theological example 1
Percival says that he believes he is forgiven by the grace given in Jesus Christ. And yet, Percival experiences fears that he is unforgiven. Does Percival believe that he is forgiven, or no?

Theological example 2
Fred, a professing Christian, says that he believes Christians should help the poor. And yet, Fred makes no effort to help the poor. Does Fred believe Christians should help the poor, or no?

I have tried to give a wide variety of examples in hopes of helping us get a better sense of the issue. People's belief statements are sometimes at odds with their behavior, reactions, experiences, etc. There seems to be several explanations.

One possibility is that in spite of what one says they believe, their actions, reactions, behavior, etc. belie the truth. They may say they believe p, but their behavior shows they really believe not-p. This does not mean they are lying when they say they believe p, but it does raise the question as to why they think they believe something when it seems they don't.

Another possibility is that a person can believe both p and not-p, just not with the same credence value (i.e. believes one more than the other). The problem with this explanation is that in the examples above each one clearly believes they believe one and not the other. So, how can one believe what they don't believe they believe. ;)

Finally, the theological examples highlight one of the problems with assuming that Christian faith is simply a matter of mere belief. In Theological Example 1, the issue may be that Percival has a mere belief that forgiveness is given through Jesus Christ, but not the requisite trust that such grace has been given to him.

What are your thoughts? Do we believe things we don't believe? If so, how can one be mistaken about one's own beliefs? Or, do we really believe what we think we believe, but not as much as we might have assumed? What are some other possibilities?

As far as the theological examples go: Is faith a matter of mere belief, or is there something else entailed in faith, such as trust? Does one's beliefs need to be commensurate with one's behavior? Why or why not?

Not that this is something you haven't thought of, but your questions seem to assume that all belief is of the same sort. Belief in God, that is to say, faith, and salvific faith at that, is quite a different thing from mere belief by decision. Salvific faith is the work of God in a person, not a thing drummed up by a person's emotion, integrity, willpower or anything else the person can do apart from Christ.

And it is more specific than simply "God does it in us" because its continuity also does not depend on circumstance nor personal integrity. It may seem to come and go, but in fact, if one has it, it does not leave. And this is because in fact, the Holy Spirit has taken up residence in the believer, as the very source of that faith. This goes to the definition of Christian "regeneration". The everlasting source of living water is not the believer.

So it is, that if a person does not live (to all appearances) according to what he says he believes, either he is a liar, or he has an afflicted conscience and conflicted mind, or the person judging him is running short on information.

Thank God we can count on it that he is just --judging us all precisely and thoroughly-- neither requiring more than is owed, nor in any way being fooled. And that he is merciful, not requiring what they owe from those upon whom he chose to show his mercy, but instead causing his own Son to bear that burden.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Mark 9:24, there is the man who cries, "Lord, I believe, help me in my unbelief". So I think we can believe in both p and not-p.

But that man confesses his problem and is on the repentance road.

The real problem is with people who profess perfection to p, but act non-p, while continuing to profess that they are perfectly p or are perfectly justified in the degree that they are non-p.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not that this is something you haven't thought of, but your questions seem to assume that all belief is of the same sort. Belief in God, that is to say, faith, and salvific faith at that, is quite a different thing from mere belief by decision. Salvific faith is the work of God in a person, not a thing drummed up by a person's emotion, integrity, willpower or anything else the person can do apart from Christ.

And it is more specific than simply "God does it in us" because its continuity also does not depend on circumstance nor personal integrity. It may seem to come and go, but in fact, if one has it, it does not leave. And this is because in fact, the Holy Spirit has taken up residence in the believer, as the very source of that faith. This goes to the definition of Christian "regeneration". The everlasting source of living water is not the believer.

So it is, that if a person does not live (to all appearances) according to what he says he believes, either he is a liar, or he has an afflicted conscience and conflicted mind, or the person judging him is running short on information.

Thank God we can count on it that he is just --judging us all precisely and thoroughly-- neither requiring more than is owed, nor in any way being fooled. And that he is merciful, not requiring what they owe from those upon whom he chose to show his mercy, but instead causing his own Son to bear that burden.

But scripture declares by multiple witnesses that observation is reliable--even by people who are not intimate enough with him (i.e., "running short on information").

I would not debate, however, if someone argues that this is about the Body of Christ as a whole rather than an individual when the witness is one of the world.

However, within the Body of Christ, it's definitely with regard to individuals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul summed it up ...

Romans 7

18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh; for I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do. Instead, I keep on doing the evil I do not want to do. 20And if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So this is the principle I have discovered: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law. 23But I see another law at work in my body, warring against the law of my mind and holding me captive to the law of sin that dwells within me.b 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I serve the law of God, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.

and ... for myself ... I really relate to this. ;o)

It's a struggle for all of us.

Paul: "So this is the principle I have discovered."

Paul was presenting an argument to Greeks who were well versed in philosophical debate. They knew what "principle" meant. A principle is a universal assertion, not a special one.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My question concerns those instances where someone states they believe p, and yet their behavior indicates they believe not-p. How are we to understand these instances?

In each example let's be generous and assume each person believes they believe what they say they believe. :)

Example 1
Jim is at the Grand Canyon and says, "I believe it is perfectly safe to walk out on the skywalk." However, when he walks out on it he begins to shake, trembling with fear. Does Jim believe the skywalk is perfectly safe, or no?

Example 2
Betty says that she trusts her boyfriend, Bill. And yet, when Bill is not around she often worries that he is acting in an untrustworthy manner. Does Betty believe Bill is trustworthy, or no?

Example 3
Elmer states that he believes all races are equal. And yet, Elmer exhibits implicit bias in his everyday interactions with those of races other than his own. Does Elmer believe all races are equal, or no?

Theological example 1
Percival says that he believes he is forgiven by the grace given in Jesus Christ. And yet, Percival experiences fears that he is unforgiven. Does Percival believe that he is forgiven, or no?

Theological example 2
Fred, a professing Christian, says that he believes Christians should help the poor. And yet, Fred makes no effort to help the poor. Does Fred believe Christians should help the poor, or no?

I have tried to give a wide variety of examples in hopes of helping us get a better sense of the issue. People's belief statements are sometimes at odds with their behavior, reactions, experiences, etc. There seems to be several explanations.

One possibility is that in spite of what one says they believe, their actions, reactions, behavior, etc. belie the truth. They may say they believe p, but their behavior shows they really believe not-p. This does not mean they are lying when they say they believe p, but it does raise the question as to why they think they believe something when it seems they don't.

Another possibility is that a person can believe both p and not-p, just not with the same credence value (i.e. believes one more than the other). The problem with this explanation is that in the examples above each one clearly believes they believe one and not the other. So, how can one believe what they don't believe they believe. ;)

Finally, the theological examples highlight one of the problems with assuming that Christian faith is simply a matter of mere belief. In Theological Example 1, the issue may be that Percival has a mere belief that forgiveness is given through Jesus Christ, but not the requisite trust that such grace has been given to him.

What are your thoughts? Do we believe things we don't believe? If so, how can one be mistaken about one's own beliefs? Or, do we really believe what we think we believe, but not as much as we might have assumed? What are some other possibilities?

As far as the theological examples go: Is faith a matter of mere belief, or is there something else entailed in faith, such as trust? Does one's beliefs need to be commensurate with one's behavior? Why or why not?
Head knowledge/belief vs heart knowledge/belief they are often different. We know something to be true but often it does not reflect our heart and in practice we react differently. Stuff like God loves the sinner yet we demonstrate hatred to groups because of deep seated stuff going on. Or endorsing to help the needy yet we do what we can to avoid the homeless. We are to love our Neighbour as our self... but not our actual Neighbour because he's a drunk and not worth anyones time. We put exceptions to the gospel that one day we will have to answer to.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Theological example 1

Theological example 2

It is easy to claim belief in something, but acting upon that belief is much harder and it is easy to place your faith in something when things seem to be going well, but it is much harder to maintain that faith when it is put to the test.

It is when we are faced with adversity, temptations, and challenges to our faith that our love for and devotion to Christ is shown for shown for what it is: Whether it is sincere and steadfast or weak and all for show.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is when we are faced with adversity, temptations, and challenges to our faith that our love for and devotion to Christ is shown for shown for what it is: Whether it is sincere and steadfast or weak and all for show.

Good thoughts. I wonder, isn't it possible for even those whose faith is sincere and steadfast to sometimes act in ways contrary to their beliefs?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are your thoughts? Do we believe things we don't believe?

Yes, I certainly think so. There are things I read about or hear and think 'yes, that seems true'. But that doesn't mean that my own actions or even thoughts will automatically fall in line with it. I think most people are like that to one extent or another. The apostle Paul is an example of someone who could very quickly get his actions and even emotions in line with his beliefs, but people like that are pretty unusual I think.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question concerns those instances where someone states they believe p, and yet their behavior indicates they believe not-p. How are we to understand these instances? ..............Is faith a matter of mere belief, or is there something else entailed in faith, such as trust? Does one's beliefs need to be commensurate with one's behavior? Why or why not?
The problem is sin.

Yes, we should have integrity between thought, word, and deed, or the sensate, cognitive, affective, volitional, spiritual, and behavioral functions of our being. The reason we do not have integrity is because as a consequence of Genesis 3:7 we are in a state of 1) estrangement and 2) condemnation apart from Christ. In Christ we have been reconciled to God but we still bear the effects of sin and corrupted flesh and we remain in a corruptible state. At Genesis 3:7 all humanity became estranged from God, self, others, and the creation over which we'd previously ruled as divinely-mandated stewards. God has reconciled us to Him but the heart is now deceitful above all else, we love darkness and will not come into the light (when we do walk in the light we can see God at work), our mind of flesh remains hostile to God, and the law of sin and death continues to work in us causing us to do that which we do not want to do and not do that which we want to do because we do not consistently walk in the law of the Spirit. There remain even in the redeemed and regenerate desries that drag us away and entice us, causing sin and more death.

2 Peter 1:3-9 ESV
"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire. For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins."

Romans 5:1-5
"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God. And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

James 1:2-8
"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

We must add to our faith. Testing puts us in just such a circumstance in which additions may be added and the person of God grow in maturity, unity, and Christ-likeness.

And I would argue some of these examples are examples of faith and trust despite the indicators seemingly indicating the opposite.. The skywalk may be believed to be perfectly safe but that doesn't mean our brains are not sob/unconsciously picking up on dozens of factors that may still be unsafe (real or perceived) like gusts of wind or the disorientation seemingly standing on air a mile above the canyon floor. Courage is doing what needs to be done in spite of fear; it is, therefore, a matter of faith and trust to live courageously.

Humans are complex creatures and we all work with years of behavioral programming of which we're largely unaware. Many of the op's examples contain such influences, some of which is deterministic. However, the not helping the poor at all example is unadulterated hypocrisy (if you're not helping the poor then the poor are being hurt, and scripture is disobeyed), although I would give partial credit if that individual tithed or gave to the offering plate when it was passed around on Sunday.

By the grace of God not only do centuries of genetic programming and years of behavioral programing exist unawares but God has changed us, given us His Spirit, and is at work in use just as unawares.

1 Corinthians 3:12-13
"Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man’s work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man’s work."

1 Corinthians 15:51-58 KJV
"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."

It is not until we reach the other side of the grave that we will ever be incorruptible. And let's face it: some of these examples are minor compared to the demands on faith some have.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Courage is doing what needs to be done in spite of fear; it is, therefore, a matter of faith and trust to live courageously.

Nicely put. One thing that I think has become clear on this thread is that faith is not simply believing something is true, but acting in accord with the teachings of the faith even when doing so is difficult. But, acting on faith also applies to more mundane instances, as you point out. Going forward in spite of fear is no small thing. :)

some of these examples are minor compared to the demands on faith some have.

True enough.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,205.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Someone in TAW just posted this passage from C. S. Lewis. I think it's relevant here.

“When we exhort people to Faith as a virtue, to the settled intention of continuing to believe certain things, we are not exhorting them to fight against reason. The intention of continuing to believe is required because, though Reason is divine, human reasoners are not. When once passion takes part in the game, the human reason, unassisted by Grace, has about as much chance of retaining its hold on truths already gained as a snowflake has of retaining its consistency in the mouth of a blast furnace. The sort of arguments against Orthodox Christianity which our reason can be persuaded to accept at the moment of yielding to temptation are often preposterous. Reason may win truths; without Faith she will retain them just so long as Satan pleases. There is nothing we cannot be made to believe or disbelieve. If we wish to be rational, not now and then, but constantly, we must pray for the gift of Faith, for the power to go on believing not in the teeth of reason but in the teeth of lust and terror and jealousy and boredom and indifference that which reason, authority, or experience, or all three, have once delivered to us for truth.”

• Winner
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,759.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Example 1
Jim can believe that the skywalk is perfectly but that doesn't over ride his phobias or other medical issues.
Example 2
She may trust him, to a point, but has had untrustworthy relationships in her past which makes her not trust her own judgment. (She doesn't want to get hurt again.)
Example 3
Not enough information about Elmer. We gravitate to those that are most like us, so he can believe all races are equal but still like to be with others of his own race.
Theological example 1
Not really. Letting go is probably the hardest thing a Christian does.
Theological example 2
He can believe it but his lack of action shows his lack of faith and obedience. As an example: Satan knows, beyond any doubt, that Jesus is the Lord but Satan has no faith in Jesus because his faith is in himself.
As far as the theological examples go: Is faith a matter of mere belief, or is there something else entailed in faith, such as trust?
I call it acknowledgment instead of believing or faith. Just like my example with Satan, many people acknowledge that Jesus is the Son of God but their faith really relies in themselves. They don't know how to let go of their sinful nature by giving it to the cross and they hold to it. Faith is believing when all else says it's impossible and still following.

Does one's beliefs need to be commensurate with one's behavior? Why or why not?
They should be with your own but not in what others perceive they should be. If one believes that they should give to the poor, then they should but not necessarily what another perceives as the poor.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟793,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
It is easy to claim belief in something, but acting upon that belief is much harder and it is easy to place your faith in something when things seem to be going well, but it is much harder to maintain that faith when it is put to the test.

Agreed. What makes me squirm is the fact that my, let's say repentance, is so often shown to be a temporary surge of wishful thinking, rather than something of substance. My sincerity is too often emotion, my steadfastness is as weak as my will. So far, the only substance I can find in it, that I can absolutely count on, is God doing it in me. Yet I must. I cannot NOT do it. HE is my only real substance. Thank God for his faithfulness to accomplish all he set out to do.

Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good thoughts. I wonder, isn't it possible for even those whose faith is sincere and steadfast to sometimes act in ways contrary to their beliefs?

No one is perfect. Only Christ. Even the most devout followers of Christ make mistakes and fall short at times and scripture is full of examples of God-fearing people who did not always live up to their professed faith and even had their moments of doubt. Take for example King David. He was called a man after God's own heart yet he committed adultery with Bathsheba and in order to cover up the affair, had her husband killed so that he would find his wife pregnant with another man's child.

King David was a godly man overall and yet did a terrible thing, of which he did later repent.

And the Apostle Paul described the struggle within himself between his old sin nature and the new spiritual nature in him. (Rom. 7:15-25) No matter how hard he tried to live a life of holiness and no matter how much he desired to, he always found himself falling short in one way or another.

We are not any different. No matter how hard we try to live a life of godliness, we will always find ourselves falling short from time to time, because we we still do things we ought not, say things we should not, and even our own thoughts will not always be pure.

But if we possess a sincere faith in our Lord, our lives will overall reflect it in how we live, what our priorities center around, and what values and doctrines we hold to. If we have truly embraced Christ, we will no longer want to continue living in the sin that we once lived, nor will we want to do the things that displease Him, nor adhere to anything contrary to His Word and teachings.

But we, ought of our love for Him and gratitude for the forgiveness we have received will want to do that which is pleasing in His sight and abide in nothing but His truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. What makes me squirm is the fact that my, let's say repentance, is so often shown to be a temporary surge of wishful thinking, rather than something of substance. My sincerity is too often emotion, my steadfastness is as weak as my will. So far, the only substance I can find in it, that I can absolutely count on, is God doing it in me. Yet I must. I cannot NOT do it. HE is my only real substance. Thank God for his faithfulness to accomplish all he set out to do.

No one can really know where you stand at heart except you and God, but scripture says that God will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we can bear and that with that temptation, a way of escape is always provided. (1 Cor. 10:13) When you are tempted, what do you find yourself doing the most often? Giving in or looking for a way of escape? What do you find yourself seeking to strengthen more? The sinful carnal nature or the spiritual nature we receive in Christ?

Do you find yourself ashamed of your sin and wanting to sin less and less in your walk with Christ, or do you find yourself making excuses for living in sin and justifying ungodly choices?

If you find yourself fleeing from temptation instead of giving in, ashamed of each time you sin, and seeking to starve out the old sinful nature as much as possible, then you clearly want to be the best servant of Christ that you want to be.

But if you find yourself giving into temptation more often than resisting and fleeing from it, making excuses for living in sin instead of doing everything you can to purge everything out of your life that is causing you sin, and feeding your carnal nature more than your spiritual nature, then you really are not wanting to follow Christ in way that you ought to and perhaps are thinking that you can some how have both Jesus and the sins that you are taking pleasure in, but it does not work that way and which is why that part of you would need to change in order to ensure that you really are right with God because the mark of sincere repentance is not wanting to continue in those things for which we have receive forgiveness but instead seek to do those things less and less and do that which pleases and honors God more and more.

One thing that resisting temptation and sin and giving in have in common is that they both are choices that we make every day and both require effort. It requires effort to seek that which is sinful and evil in the eyes of God and it also requires effort to avoid and flee from those things as well.

I sense that you do not believe that all is as it should be with your walk with Christ based upon your response post and that you would like to make your walk with Christ better; we all need to draw every nearer to the Lord day by day.

But that may mean purging yourself of things and relationships that are keeping you from serving Christ as faithfully as you should be. It may also require you to avoid going to certain places and even people that might lead you into doing things displeasing to Christ. You may need to delete certain television stations from your cable or satellite line up (if not cancel your cable or satellite altogether). You may even need to adjust the content filters on your computer so as to shield yourself from being exposed to objectionable content.

And when faced with opposition and persecution on account of Christ, remember that it is God upon whom you must rely on for the steadfast faith and courage you need and not yourself and it is always a good idea to make a point to ask God daily for that kind of courage in the event you are faced with a choice between pleasing God or man in which any case, we need to always obey God rather than man (Acts 5:29) knowing that it is our Lord who will be handing out the final rewards for the righteous and the final punishments for the wicked.

I pray that your walk with Christ will be strengthened and that you will desire to be the best that you can be for Him.

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
  1. I agree with
  2. Mark Quayle said:
    “ Salvific faith is the work of God in a person, not a thing drummed up by a person's emotion, integrity, willpower or anything else the person can do apart from Christ.”
    because even integrity can be a talent that has never been fully handed over to the Holy Spirit’s use and therefore not conducive to the power of regeneration in those who listen to the message of that behaviour, leaving still a barrenness (naked and bare) in that individual’s life. The corruptible will not have the advantage of the incorruptible at work within.
  3. And as
    @RDKirk said “I would not debate, however, if someone argues that this is about the Body of Christ as a whole rather than an individual when the witness is one of the world. However, within the Body of Christ, it's definitely with regard to individuals.”
    because to the world the body as a whole is seen as fragmented because of the individuals within it.
  4. and
    @RDKirk “Paul was presenting an argument to Greeks who were well versed in philosophical debate. They knew what "principle" meant. A principle is a universal assertion, not a special one.’
    The Greek of Paul’s writings were very intricate and used the skills of a master builder to state his case. Most of his writings were to bring forth the stepping stones used to reach the heights of principles contained within the analogies. Those principles are spiritual in application so therefore universal in actuality.
Sorry about the bullet-point format. Don’t know what happened there.

Upvote 0