Belief in the Trinity required for salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Wavy said:
Simple enough question.
Jesus said " I am in the Father and the father in me" John 14: 10.
The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Jesus on the earth. So how can you separate them. Believe in one you must believe in all three.
:preach:

Upvote 0

Agape_

Apr 22, 2006
✟15,348.00
Faith
Protestant
Its actually the case that if you believe that Jesus is God and the Holy spirit is God you also have to believe in the trinity that they are separate beings each with their own roles. God the father to whom all prsie and glory goes, Jesus is our redeemer and advocate and the Holy Spirit is God's helper that resides within us. To not believe in the trinity is to not believe in Jesus or the Holy Spirit. I hope this helps to answer the question

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Agape_ said:
Its actually the case that if you believe that Jesus is God and the Holy spirit is God you also have to believe in the trinity that they are separate beings each with their own roles. God the father to whom all prsie and glory goes, Jesus is our redeemer and advocate and the Holy Spirit is God's helper that resides within us. To not believe in the trinity is to not believe in Jesus or the Holy Spirit. I hope this helps to answer the question

I don't think not being able to comprehend the relationship between the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit is a damnable sin.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One uses the word, Trinity, very easily. But it's not a simple doctrine, and it doesn't have a simple history. If you talk to most people in the Church today (at least in my experience: low Church) most of them implicitly hold a Modalist view of God. It's not because they reject the Trinity, per se. It's that they never really learned it (or learned why it's important). I don't think it's a good thing that they haven't explored these things, and I think if they reasoned with it, they would quickly find themselves in heresy, but it is also the lack of reasoning that put them in Modalism in the first place.

As such, I think an acknowledgment of the Triune God is necessary, but acknowledgment of the fact that He is Triune is not.

Upvote 0

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agape_ said:

They are not separate beings. This was actually a controversy, at one point. The Orthodoxy held that God was one in being, and the Arians held that He was not. That is why the Creed says, "one being with the Father" or "one essence with the Father." This "one being" is the word, "homoousis." It is used to describe the shared being or essence between the Father and the Son.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Agape_ said:
I just think its really easy to get confused over this because how can we say they are the same but separete. I would use the analogy of Water where as if you have 3 drops of water seperate they are all the same substance but each one is distinct.

It is confusing, which is why I don't think it is necessary. Good theology aids salvation, but it does not save.

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Agape_ said:
Ok... I just need to ask if one does not believe in the trinity how can they be saved? I mean it would seem to say that Jesus was not in fact God because God is in heaven and the word was not made flesh separete and distinct.
They can't .... You must believe in the Trinity in order to be saved whether you believe by Faith alone or by understanding of concept .... because the fact remains we can understand the concepts but will never truly be able to understand God in His Fullness until we are there... But the essential doctrine of the Trinity is an absolute.... therefore it must either be submitted to by Faith without understanding of concept or with understanding of concept....

Reactions: Theophorus
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
debiwebi said:
California

How then would you answer to God on Judgement Day for not believing in Him all along?

Hi Debi, please call me Josiah :)

I THINK the question of the OP is if embracing the doctrine of the Trinity is essential to salvation; ie, can a person be saved without affirming that particular doctrine. My opinion is yes they can.

IMO, we are saved by grace through faith in Christ. I think it possible that a person could have faith in Christ yet have a modalistic or other understanding of this issue of the Godhead - or perhaps no understanding of it at all (I wonder if the thief on the Cross got a lesson on the Athanasian Creed?).

Just MY $0.01...

Pax.

- Josiah

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CaliforniaJosiah said:
Hi Debi, please call me Josiah :)

I THINK the question of the OP is if embracing the doctrine of the Trinity is essential to salvation; ie, can a person be saved without affirming that particular doctrine. My opinion is yes they can.

IMO, we are saved by grace through faith in Christ. I think it possible that a person could have faith in Christ yet have a modalistic or other understanding of this issue of the Godhead - or perhaps no understanding of it at all (I wonder if the thief on the Cross got a lesson on the Athanasian Creed?).

Just MY $0.01...

Pax.

- Josiah

To which I stated in my answer this already

But the essential doctrine of the Trinity is an absolute.... therefore it must either be submitted to by Faith without understanding of concept or with understanding of concept....

Did the thief on the Cross understand this Concept of course not, or actually how did we know? Because in the Biblical account it does not tell us of his understanding of Christ, what it does tell us though is that He recognized Him as Lord and God...

He in fact berated the other robber on the cross for questioning Christ...

We can only come to the understanding that we are capable of... this is true and some are not capable of the understanding of the concepts .... Most of us though are, and therefore, when we reject the concept knowing what it is, do you not think that God in turn will judge us according to the knowledge we could have and should have accepted and rejected? I am not talking about those in capable, because I do believe God merciful and Kind, but I also believe God is Just as well...

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going with "no" here and let me tell you why: when we get saved we (well most of us anyway) know nothing about God, we just know in our hearts something is missing, and God is what fills it. Learning the nature of God doesn't get us saved, learning the history or doctrines of the Church doesn't get us saved. Asking Jesus into our hearts? That's where it starts. All the rest of it comes AFTER we are already saved. So I'm going "No, we don't have to believe in the trinity to get saved." :)
tulc(IMHO)

Upvote 0

GraceLikeRainFallsDown

Everyone Needs Grace
Mar 15, 2006
✟1,986.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am voting "no" as well. The Bible is clear the way to the Father is through Jesus. If one accepts Jesus as their personal Savior, that is what is required for salvation.

Now, I think that if one has true faith in Jesus, they will also have faith in the Trinity. But, I was thinking of people in other parts of the world (like Africa) who do not have the books and churches we have here. They may get a Bible from someone and never hear the term Trinity. They would understand that God the Father sent His Son and then after the Son left His Spirit was sent. But,while they accept Christ as the Son of God who is their Savior and Lord they may not totally grasp the Trinity. So, I do not think there lack of understanding would harm them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.