Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
people/hearts souls are brought into our earthly lives to spread our love and devotion for Jesus God Holy Spirit and for our Blessed Virgin Mother Mary our Heavenly Mother Mary to spread Gods Holy Word, His Commandments, His Teachings most of all His Love and Mercy for hearts to turn to Him in repentance of sins in genuine remorse and trust in Jesus during our earthly lives to spread Gods Love Mercy Compassion in hearts for Jesus, God Holy Spirit and for our Heavenly Mother Mary, witnessing for Jesus Christ our Merciful Saviour God Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that I'm too different from most people, in that I would be far more convinced of someone's faith by their kindness toward me rather then a lecture about why they're morally better than I am.

We are a very cerebral society and certainly those who participate in these discussions enjoy expressing their ideas, but that is not the case with many other people. Those people work hard for the little that they have and anything that can be done for them is far more important than some cerebral concept. The parable of the good Samaritan is well known. Why? Because the Samaritan gave all the help that he could to the injured man, even paying for his room in his absence. And he was't a Jew.

My best friend is a Buddhist. He is a very nice person and we are always doing things for each other, and that means a lot to both of us. I talk often about my faith and he talks often about Buddhism, and we have learned a lot from each other.

I would much rather be with him or people like him than some self-righteous Christian whose superior attitude is annoying while his actions show little care for anyone but his or her self.

Love means nothing if it isn't actively making another person's life better.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And
I don't think that I'm too different from most people, in that I would be far more convinced of someone's faith by their kindness toward me rather then a lecture about why they're morally better than I am.

We are a very cerebral society and certainly those who participate in these discussions enjoy expressing their ideas, but that is not the case with many other people. Those people work hard for the little that they have and anything that can be done for them is far more important than some cerebral concept. The parable of the good Samaritan is well known. Why? Because the Samaritan gave all the help that he could to the injured man, even paying for his room in his absence. And he was't a Jew, but a pagan.

My best friend is a Buddhist. He is a very nice person and we are always doing things for each other, and that means a lot to both of us. I talk often about my faith and he talks often about Buddhism, and we have learned a lot from each other.

I would much rather be with him or people like him than some self-righteous Christian whose superior attitude is annoying while his actions show little care for anyone but his or her self.

Love means nothing if it isn't actively making another person's life better.
without Jesus it won't bring them any eternal value what so ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
That was brought up in another thread and I didn't want to derail it---but did want to discuss that more.

In this thread: Reconnecting with old friend... but he is a ''homosexual Christian''

I had posted how I'm friends with people that have other beliefs (one of my closest friends for over 20 years is Muslim, for one example). We don't try to change each other....or convince one another that one belief is "right" and that the other is "wrong"--that's personal. We know where each comes from.....and we are even able to talk about things about our faith that we agree on. That friend of mine also has a close Jewish friend that she grew up with and is still in close contact with. The three of us have had beautiful discussions about the love of God....and the intersections of the Torah, the Old Testament, and the Quran. We don't let our different religious language divide us. Our friendship is a lot like this couple's relationship--that led to their marriage:

@Mskriskris responded to my post about having friends with other beliefs in this way:

and

....which is what we're doing, but for some reason it seems that's not believed to be possible while still within relationship with them (is how I'm understanding that). Because when I asked why there's an assumption that I'm NOT following that....not having the love of God enhance our relationship...the response was:

....so it seems then there was advice given that's not believed to be possible---or else it wouldn't be assumed I *wasn't* following that advice already.

Why do people believe we can't have any diversity in our friendships? Is there that much fear that we can be easily swayed in another direction.....or is it that we can't trust our friends to respect our own choices?
Great thread. My entire family is Hindu and I had difficulty explaining my Christian faith to them when I returned to India in 1999. But the seed had been planted and I believe that in time and through prayer, that seed will grow in them. Mean while, I love them as always as my family. It's not easy relating to those with other beliefs, especially if they're opposed to ours :).

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if I put one grain of salt in a 5 gallon jug and fill the jug with water, do I end up with salt water?
If I took 5 gallons of water and put one drop of urine in it....would you drink it?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And

without Jesus it won't bring them any eternal value what so ever.

If I show them the Jesus in me (the Holy Spirit) then tell them about my faith, that is a LOT more effective witness than self-righteously preaching to them.

Get it?

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't try to change each other....or convince one another that one belief is "right" and that the other is "wrong"--that's personal.

If you consider yourself Christian and you have no concern for your friend being freed from the bondage of sin and being given new life in Jesus Christ, one wonders that you have an good understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And, truthfully, if he is not trying to convert you to his worldview/faith, then is he being consistent in his beliefs? I would say he is not. I am not in any way saying that Islam is a valid religion (it's not). Islam leads to death and destruction. Christianity is the only worldview/faith that leads to eternal life.

But to the point of the original question, yes, you can have friends with worldviews different than Christianity, but if you believe that their worldview has equal validity (in other words, that there are many paths to God), then you have little to no understanding of the Christian faith.

• Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The OP is correct thinking of the Christian mind, from the Gospel teachings.

Matthew:
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

We are to love the sinners and ignorant (of the Father) as our Father loves us even though we ourselves are sinners and ignorant.

Forgive us our sins? No. Forgive us as we forgive others.

It appears that the OPs circle is based on the second commandment of love. But the most important is the first commandment. Love is the key in both.

Matthew continues:
46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

Christians break that bond, and love all, as Christ loved all.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In reading through this thread---it sort of fascinates me that so many people believe that God needs our help in reconciling Him with humanity.....but He doesn't need our help when people are in need of crisis housing/food and other things (that's His responsibility, according to a lot in this thread--the idea seems to be that those people need to make sure they're being obedient to God). I'm going to have to side with Mother Teresa on that one (that it's really the other way around)....and the Bible verse that says,

>>>>>For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity--the man Christ Jesus.~1st Timothy 2:5

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Ummm if she told you that ,she a .lied
B.has not read it.
If you`ve read the Koran then you would be aware of that..

So it appears she is influencing you more toward untruth then you are influencing her.
No.....I didn't get my information from my friend---I sought out the context of the Quran myself (education about the religious framework of another isn't the same thing as "influence"). It seems that you may be influenced yourself by untrue propaganda that lies about Islam. Because of that sort of misinformation, innocent people are being killed in the US like this young woman. I get pretty zealous about things like that (when lies cause the murders or attacks of innocent people).
DCozhJmXkAE5voJ.jpg

17-year-old girl beaten to death after being attacked leaving mosque

If you took the time to learn about Mohammed (you don't have to agree with the religion to do that, BTW).....when he fled to Medina he formed a covenant/constitution with the people living there. It was an interfaith community---where his followers lived and protected Christians and Jews as their own family. Some history for you:

Linked Article said:
No other leader in world history has been more scrutinized and ridiculed than Prophet Muhammad. Since the founding of Islam in 632 AD, Christians and Jews have described the Prophet of Allah as a blasphemer, bigot, terrorist, and pedophile, among other slurs. However, according to a new book The Covenants of the Prophet Muhammad with the Christians of the World (published by Angelico Press, 2013), these accusations are found to be dishonest, prejudiced, and not based on sound scholarship.

Dr. John Andrew Morrow, author of The Covenants of the Prophet Muhammad, is a scholar who received his PhD from the University of Toronto and completed the full cycle of Islamic seminary studies. He was raised in a multilingual family in Montreal and Toronto, Canada. Morrow is also a Native North American of the Metis nation and proudly identifies himself as an “Aboriginal Person.”

In reviewing Muslim, Christian, and secular documentary sources, Morrow’s study of the covenants of the Prophet brings “out their light in this period of darkness in which the People of Scripture, Jews, Muslims, and Christians, have strayed from their sacred traditions of tolerance and co-existence.”

The Covenants of the Prophet Muhammad provides a detailed account of Muhammad’s character and conduct as seen through his lifelong encounters with Christian hermits, monks, priests, and communities. Morrow states that these experiences confirm that Muhammad had “confidence in his ability to count on the spiritual solidarity of the People of the Book,” or members of the Abrahamic tradition. Morrow also affirmed that Muhammad “had much more in common with the followers of Christ than with the idol-worshippers who surrounded him.”~New Book Sheds Light on Prophet Muhammad's Interfaith Views | HuffPost

People can distort any text---interpret it to support their bias and contempt for others. The Bible and Torah also have many violent and obscure passages...mostly because they were all written in a violent time and are descriptive....not prescriptive.

This Bible verse is pretty violent ...don't you think (I can't even bring myself to quote the words)?

Psalm 137:9

If a person wanted to prove that Christianity is violent...there are many such verses that can be taken out of context to support that idea (and use the violent past as well---like the Crusades....the Spanish Inquisition.....and Mission history of the US and Europe).

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm questioning why I was brought to this conversation in the first place.Literally, I was brought to this thread.
I tagged you into this thread since I was using a quote of yours. IMO.....that's just the right thing to do---to allow others the opportunity to explain their own words instead of people making their own presumptions about what they meant. That's all.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If I took 5 gallons of water and put one drop of urine in it....would you drink it?

my point being is both of these people believe they're of their respective religions because their family is or because they went to some religious camp. neither has any sort of grounding in their faith to begin with. the substance of their faith is completely diluted.

if bringing up a stat on how 21% of atheists believe their is a God(a total contradiction) is supposed to be an example of their own belief system then we clearly have an example of two gnostic-humanists who got married.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.....I didn't get my information from my friend---I sought out the context of the Quran myself (education about the religious framework of another isn't the same thing as "influence"). It seems that you may be influenced yourself by untrue propaganda that lies about Islam. Because of that sort of misinformation, innocent people are being killed in the US like this young woman. I get pretty zealous about things like that (when lies cause the murders or attacks of innocent people).
DCozhJmXkAE5voJ.jpg

17-year-old girl beaten to death after being attacked leaving mosque

If you took the time to learn about Mohammed (you don't have to agree with the religion to do that, BTW).....when he fled to Medina he formed a covenant/constitution with the people living there. It was an interfaith community---where his followers lived and protected Christians and Jews as their own family. Some history for you:

People can distort any text---interpret it to support their bias and contempt for others. The Bible and Torah also have many violent and obscure passages...mostly because they were all written in a violent time and are descriptive....not prescriptive.

This Bible verse is pretty violent ...don't you think (I can't even bring myself to quote the words)?

Psalm 137:9

If a person wanted to prove that Christianity is violent...there are many such verses that can be taken out of context to support that idea (and use the violent past as well---like the Crusades....the Spanish Inquisition.....and Mission history of the US and Europe).
Yes that is true
However the language in the Koran is not old testament vs new testament.
And has no divine flow and is fully inflammatory .
It has is not a time based context.
It is of the spirit of this world and as such is demonic in every sense.
So when it calls for the killing of any who will not submit ..that being the children of God in Christ Jesus who are the innocent in God.
It is calling for murder of the innocent.
You won't find that in the new testament except in the murder of Jesus by that same spirit of anti Christ.
Don't buy into a compromise don't call black dark grey.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes sorry..I was being humorous...out of line.
my point being is both of these people believe they're of their respective religions because their family is or because they went to some religious camp. neither has any sort of grounding in their faith to begin with. the substance of their faith is completely diluted.

if bringing up a stat on how 21% of atheists believe their is a God(a total contradiction) is supposed to be an example of their own belief system then we clearly have an example of two gnostic-humanists who got married.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
neither has any sort of grounding in their faith to begin with. the substance of their faith is completely diluted.
You're making quite a few presumptions there (and missed the point, I think). But you sure added to the idea that Christians can be pretty judgey, though :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree.
For niether display the attributes of the indwelling Spirit of the Lord Jesus who gave his life to do the father's will rather then his own..

Rather they do whatever is right in their own eyes.
They have strayed and gone each in “there own way“

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
if bringing up a stat on how 21% of atheists believe their is a God(a total contradiction) is supposed to be an example of their own belief system
The point of that comment was that people often identify with a group without ascribing to all the typical beliefs of that group. IOW.....people are complex and until we take the time to actually get to know a person....we don't really know their beliefs just from knowing the group they identify as.

Upvote 0