Behold the Terrible Lizard!

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
The $64.00 term for this, JB, is: ontological reduction.

A term that is truly an evolutionist's nightmare.

And they WILL NOT discuss it.

Can't say as I blame them either.
There's no problem with ontological reduction - and Mr. Occam recommends not multiplying entities unnecessarily - especially not introducing whole ill-defined, inexplicable, unobservable ontologies...

It's called 'parsimony'.

You can't explain the unexplained with the inexplicable.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's no problem with ontological reduction - and Mr. Occam recommends not multiplying entities unnecessarily - especially not introducing whole ill-defined, inexplicable, unobservable ontologies...
I did all that!? :eek:
FrumiousBandersnatch said:
It's called 'parsimony'.
Parsimony doesn't explain the order that these "whole ill-defined, inexplicable, unobservable ontologies" arrived on the earth:

1. Earth before Sun
2. Light before Sun
3. Plants before marine organisms
4. Fruit bearing trees before fish
5. Birds before insects
6. Plants before Sun
7. Man before rain

So whether well-defined or ill-defined, they can't be explained.
FrumiousBandersnatch said:
You can't explain the unexplained with the inexplicable.
We call them "miracles."

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I did all that!? :eek:Parsimony doesn't explain the order that these "whole ill-defined, inexplicable, unobservable ontologies" arrived on the earth:

1. Earth before Sun

5. Birds before insects
6. Plants before Sun
7. Man before rain

So whether well-defined or ill-defined, they can't be explained
What is unexplainable is why some people believe those things when pretty much all scientific evidence contradicts them.
We call them "miracles."
The rest of the world calls them something else.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is unexplainable is why some people believe those things when pretty much all scientific evidence contradicts them.
If I went by scientific evidence, there's a LOT of stuff I wouldn't believe: Jesus walking on water, the Resurrection, Christ's ascension, virgin birth ... and on and on and on.

And while that might get me straight A's in college, I'd flunk in the end.
MIDutch]The rest of the world calls them something else.
The rest of the world is wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If I went by scientific evidence, there's a LOT of stuff I wouldn't believe: Jesus walking on water, the Resurrection, Christ's ascension, virgin birth ... and on and on and on.

And while that might get me straight A's in college, I'd flunk in the end.The rest of the world is wrong.
As far as am aware, there is no scientific evidence whatever related to the virgin birth, the Resurrection or any of those other miracles, neither for nor against. It seems to me that you are trying to "resurrect" 57's Dead Guy argument. And so we are back to Bible. For most Christians, the truth of the Gospels does not depend on the literary genre which they assign to Genesis.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
I did all that!?
Anyone who invokes the supernatural.
:eek:Parsimony doesn't explain the order that these "whole ill-defined, inexplicable, unobservable ontologies" arrived on the earth:

1. Earth before Sun
2. Light before Sun
5. Birds before insects
6. Plants before Sun
7. Man before rain

So whether well-defined or ill-defined, they can't be explained.We call them "miracles."
That's historical fiction - no further explanation necessary. The available evidence suggests a more rational order of events.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As far as am aware, there is no scientific evidence whatever related to the virgin birth, the Resurrection or any of those other miracles, neither for nor against.
So they aren't scientific, are they?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's historical fiction - no further explanation necessary. The available evidence suggests a more rational order of events.
Well.

That takes care of that, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Well.

That takes care of that, doesn't it? :rolleyes:
It makes rational sense of it. No need to decide between invisible cosmic elephants on the back of invisible cosmic turtles, or cosmic serpents laying Earth-size eggs, or fantastical Genesis stories, etc., since they're all creation myths and there's a better rational natural explanation with supporting evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It makes rational sense of it. No need to decide between invisible cosmic elephants on the back of invisible cosmic turtles, or cosmic serpents laying Earth-size eggs, or fantastical Genesis stories, etc., since they're all creation myths and there's a better rational natural explanation with supporting evidence.
You're mything the point.

• Haha
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
You know what... every single car.. has a steering wheel.. but.. are different manufacturers...

Seems like when something works well ... it gets used in many models and makes....

Just like the similarities in all of God's creation...

No proof of evolution.. just proof of a designer.

Steering wheels change as materials and designs change. If Ford develops a new way of making steering wheels they can roll it out across the whole line of cars. You don't need to redevelop each car's steering wheels independently.

An intelligent designer could do the same to life... but life only falls into branches. Techniques are developed separately and not according to function.

The American timber wolf is more genetically related to humans then it is to the Tasmanian wolf... that makes perfect sense if modern marsupials diverged after they got to Australia, but is silly if you propose an intelligent designer.

With your flawed car example you didn't respond to my example. Why do species have atavistic traits?

You could say a snake has leftover legs because God wasn't very thorough when he purged the legs... but why do birds have teeth/maw genes?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Steering wheels change as materials and designs change. If Ford develops a new way of making steering wheels they can roll it out across the whole line of cars. You don't need to redevelop each car's steering wheels independently.

An intelligent designer could do the same to life... but life only falls into branches. Techniques are developed separately and not according to function.

The American timber wolf is more genetically related to humans then it is to the Tasmanian wolf... that makes perfect sense if modern marsupials diverged after they got to Australia, but is silly if you propose an intelligent designer.

With your flawed car example you didn't respond to my example. Why do species have atavistic traits?

You could say a snake has leftover legs because God wasn't very thorough when he purged the legs... but why do birds have teeth/maw genes?
Its still... a steering wheel.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Which is of course what just about everyone believes.
Well, do I have to say it again?

Truth.. is not a democracy..

7 billion people can believe one thing.

20 people believe the opposite... and be right..

Truth couldn't care how many people deny it...

God said that the path is narrow... Didn't need to be too wide for the minority of the masses that will take it.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Well, do I have to say it again?

Truth.. is not a democracy..

7 billion people can believe one thing.

20 people believe the opposite... and be right..

God said that the path is narrow... Didn't need to be too wide for the minority of the masses that will take it.
Actually humans claim that's what God said, we have no evidence that God said anything of the sort.

Using your logic, since there are fewer atheists than Christians the atheists have it right and the truth is not what you want it to be.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Same can of course be said of insanity.

Being only one knowing “a truth” you can not prove in any way.

How do you discern that truth from falsehood?

And how do you figure out that the truth of other people are less than your truth ?

Upvote 0