May I Suggest Giving Up THIS During Lent?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

May I Suggest Giving Up THIS During Lent?

a5acffd4-ff83-4c40-a270-5468b3cf76e5.jpg

Lent will be here this coming Wednesday, and per tradition, Catholics will talk about what they can “give up” during Lent. When I was a kid, I used to joke that “I am going to give up smoking for Lent,” and then I would proudly (and sarcastically) announce at the end of the season that I was 100% successful. Fortunately, I’ve matured since then, and I now treat my Lenten promises more seriously.

Lent is a season of conversion, when we acknowledge the ways we have turned away from God in our lives, and we focus on turning our hearts and minds back toward Him. That is why the three pillars of Lent are prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. These observances help us turn away from whatever has distracted or derailed us and to turn back to our Lord. Giving up something for Lent is a form of fasting. We can deprive ourselves of some small pleasure and offer that sacrifice up to God. Or we might “give up” a bad habit, such as too much screen-time or junk food, as a way of positively turning our life back toward what God wants for us.

This Lenten season, may I challenge you to give up something you perhaps haven’t given up in Lents’ past? This Lent, give up all the anxiety that is troubling you!

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL. That's why the VA gives me Trazodone. :) I take 50mg at bedtime, and usually, within 45 minutes, I'm drifting off, no worries.

Besides, I've already selected my Lenten sacrifice this year: a complete moratorium on consuming processed sugar and most carbohydrates. I've gained back a little of the weight I lost a year or so ago, and this is the perfect opportunity to get it under control again. :)

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
LOL. That's why the VA gives me Trazodone. :) I take 50mg at bedtime, and usually, within 45 minutes, I'm drifting off, no worries.

Besides, I've already selected my Lenten sacrifice this year: a complete moratorium on consuming processed sugar and most carbohydrates. I've gained back a little of the weight I lost a year or so ago, and this is the perfect opportunity to get it under control again. :)
I'm doing the Keto diet--which is basically low carbs and no sugar. I'm doing it to improve my mental health, but have lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks. So, I'm getting more than one benefit from it.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm doing the Keto diet--which is basically low carbs and no sugar. I'm doing it to improve my mental health, but have lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks. So, I'm getting more than one benefit from it.
A couple of years ago I lost about 40 pounds in a little less than six weeks, after I went on a severe protein-and-fruit diet after a mix-up in my meds sent me into a hyperglycemic episode. I could maintain it if I stuck to the diet, but it also meant I couldn't eat some of my favorite foods, like potatoes and rice, popcorn and ice cream. :(

It's not hard, necessarily, for me to lose weight (drives my wife nuts---she has such a problem dropping pounds); for me, the problem is "stick-to-it-iveness", LOL.

Reactions: Chrystal-J
Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
A couple of years ago I lost about 40 pounds in a little less than six weeks, after I went on a severe protein-and-fruit diet after a mix-up in my meds sent me into a hyperglycemic episode. I could maintain it if I stuck to the diet, but it also meant I couldn't eat some of my favorite foods, like potatoes and rice, popcorn and ice cream. :(

It's not hard, necessarily, for me to lose weight (drives my wife nuts---she has such a problem dropping pounds); for me, the problem is "stick-to-it-iveness", LOL.
I mainly started Keto to have more "mental clarity" and because I have inflammation in my joints. (It's supposed to reduce inflammation.) But, I'll take the weight loss too! :)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
✟277,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mainly started Keto to have more "mental clarity" and because I have inflammation in my joints. (It's supposed to reduce inflammation.) But, I'll take the weight loss too! :)
I take 500mgs of OTC Turmeric/Curcumin twice a day as an anti-inflammatory, on the advice of my VA doctor. :)

Upvote 0