Beginner Orthodox: Most Important Writings by the Early Fathers?

Faroutreality

Mar 27, 2020
Alexandria
✟17,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Technically, I am still a Protestant. However, I have been attending an Orthodox Church (until the current pandemic). Which are the most influential writings of the Early Church Fathers to help give me a sense of Orthodox Christianity? I don't just want the names of the Fathers, but also the most influential writings. (A list preferably)

Anything that would help distinguish between Orthodoxy and Catholicism would also be beneficial. Thanks!

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Technically, I am still a Protestant. However, I have been attending an Orthodox Church (until the current pandemic). Which are the most influential writings of the Early Church Fathers to help give me a sense of Orthodox Christianity? I don't just want the names of the Fathers, but also the most influential writings. (A list preferably)

Anything that would help distinguish between Orthodoxy and Catholicism would also be beneficial. Thanks!

The only difference between Orthodoxy and the Roman Church in the writings of the Church fathers will be very subtle. It was at that time a more or less unified Church.

If you're looking for something specific maybe I can help you find it.

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I'm not sure how much you've studied the writings of Father God, as we have them in the Holy Bible. I'm sure the Orthodox Church would teach that all of the writings of men, must line up with God's Word.
There are lots of great books, written by faithful men of God. But I believe we should start with learning everything God said. That way we will know, if someone writes something that contradicts Gods Word.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
welcome to TAW!

first and foremost, study the Bible, especially the Gospel and pray the Psalter.

I would say a good starter would be On the Incarnation by St Athanasius, the Epistles of St Ignatius of Antioch, the Synodal statements of the Ecumenical Councils (especially the 4th and 5th).

but with these kinds of questions, your first thing to do is ask your priest.

Upvote 0

peregrinus2017

Jun 17, 2017
British Columbia
✟217,468.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What father Matt said above.
When I was finding my way to Orthodoxy, On the incarnation by St. Athanasius was definitely a light bulb turning on kind of book for me. If you have been able to develop some sort of relationship with the priest of the church you have been attending, and maybe even if you haven't, it is probably worthwhile asking him. It is part of his calling after all.
Another thing, not what you are asking about, but if you don't already have one pick up an Orthodox prayer book and use it. This too should be used with some guidance, but a structured prayer life is a powerful tool in transforming our minds and hearts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
In my personal experience leading to my conversion, some of the important church father writings were
  • The Life of Saint Anthony, by St Athanasius
  • The Rules of Saint Pachomius
  • On God and Man, theological poetry by St Gregory (the Theologian) of Nazianzus
  • The Sayings of the Desert Fathers
    • And pretty much any other writings about or by the desert fathers that I could find
What are you trying to distinguish between Orthodoxy and Catholicism specifically?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Hello and welcome to CF and to TAW!

It’s a short read, but the Didache is good if it helps introduce or explain some things about how the early Church operated. (If you haven’t already read it.)

And while I don’t disagree with anything suggested, I found that in reading the sayings of the Desert Fathers, it was sometimes easy to misunderstand. So if anything there sounds odd or questionable, it would be good to get insight on it. Sometimes the writings of monastics can seem extreme.

Again, welcome. :)

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would also add the 1st Epistle of St. Clement (c. 96 AD). Surely Catholics would cite this also but these earliest Orthodox, post apostolic writings are crucial.

First Clement

There is also the Epistle of St. Polycarp ( St. Ignatius mentioned by Fr Matt, wrote his own letter to Polycarp).

St. Polycarp of Smyrna

These early writings are in a published collection also:

https://www.amazon.com/Early-Christian-Writings-Apostolic-Fathers/dp/0140444750

There is a long Epistle of Barnabas ( generally understood to be not the Barnabas who knew St. Paul) in this collection. From what I know, it is a theologically sound Epistle but it is rather eccentric. Barnabas was truly a seriously devout Christian and there is an interesting linkage between the conclusion of his Epistle and the beginning of the Didache which both focus on the “2 ways” preaching of life & death. The “2 ways” seems to stem from Deuteronomy 30:11-20.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to TAW! :wave:

I'd have to recommend "The Orthodox Church" by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware (sometimes published under his legal name, Timothy Ware). Yes, he's not an early father, he's still alive today, but he does a good job explaining the Orthodox Church in an Orthodoxy 101 sort of way.

Upvote 0

Faroutreality

Mar 27, 2020
Alexandria
✟17,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all for the wonderful recommendations. I am indeed getting guidance from a priest, have been reading the Bible of course, and have read "The Orthodox Church" by Metro. Kallistos Ware. I've been trying to get my hands on everything I can, although I'm perhaps ignorant of the options. I guess I should clarify what I've read so far in terms of Early Church Father Writings. I didn't know if there is anything else in the "absolutely crucial" category.

Apologies of Justin Martyr
I and II Clement
Epistles of St. Ignatius of Antioch
Epistle of Polycarp of Smyrna
The Shepherd of Hermas
The Epistle of Barnabas
The Didache
On the Incarnation (Athanasius)

Also - great recommendation to read the Synodal Statements of the Ecumenical Councils. Are these easily accessible on the internet?

I also plan to get the Sayings of the Desert Fathers. This is also on my list to buy. Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Faroutreality

Mar 27, 2020
Alexandria
✟17,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Also - what I mean by Orthodox/Catholic, is if I am still having doubts about choosing between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, which Fathers should I be particularly aware of in their nuanced writings. In other words, why choose Orthodoxy instead of Catholicism (and which writings will help illuminate this)?

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would say it is with St. Augustine that a major shift in theology begins between the Eastern & Western Church. He is a saint of our church and he defended the faith at the risk of his life against the Arians. (see: Hippo Regius - Wikipedia ).

Unfortunately, I think, St. Augustine thought too much. His view of the original sin of Adam is that everyone alive inherited the original guilt of Adam. This seems to be a confusion of what St. Paul preached in Romans 5:12-14. We are all sinners in need of redemption of our Savior but we as individuals vary. St. Paul preaches about sinning humanity in Romans 1. In Romans 2, St. Paul clearly indicates that individuals vary and returns & concludes that we are all sinners in Romans 3.

When we read John 3:16-21 ( for ex. ), we see a dire warning but also ways in which God’s mercy extends in which we cannot fathom. We see this conclusion in John 5:22-30.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also - what I mean by Orthodox/Catholic, is if I am still having doubts about choosing between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, which Fathers should I be particularly aware of in their nuanced writings. In other words, why choose Orthodoxy instead of Catholicism (and which writings will help illuminate this)?
I would think the Cappadocian Fathers (Gregory of Nyssa, Basil the Great, and Gregory of Nazianzus the Theologian) are probably a good place to go. And St John Chrysostom.

From what I understand, and this is drastically oversimplified, the West followed Saint Augustine’s anthropology and soteriology, while the East followed the Cappadocians. So it might be helpful to read and compare them. (And for what it’s worth, we do still venerate Saint Augustine as a saint)

Reactions: Faroutreality
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I would just go with history in that case, and I would focus on the papacy. did the early Church view the bishop of Rome the way Rome does now?

Reactions: AMM
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
There’s a really good academic paper (book?) called Church, Papacy, and Schism by Dr Phillip Sherrard. It’s definitely academic but it’s not super unwieldy (I managed to read through it over the course of several days). It addresses the history of the papacy and Roman vs Orthodox views of it.

I’m happy to pass that along, if you’re interested. (Someone on here passed it on to me to begin with, I believe.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums