Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul's holy words, yet who can do them? Who, indeed, even CAN do them? How can sinners like us ever pray ceaselessly as our Way of Life?

The words of a Christian in the late 1800s may prove of value. Perhaps anticipating the fall of Russia to the Atheists in the early 1900s, he wrote a book, and began it with this simple introduction of himself as its author:

By the grace of God I am a Christian man,
by my actions a great sinner,
and by calling a homeless wanderer of the humblest birth
who roams from place to place.
My worldly goods are a knapsack with some dried bread in it on my back,
and in my breast pocket a Bible.
And that is all.

The title of the book is: "The Way of a Pilgrim"...

The assault on Christianity in Russia by the atheists began in full in 1917 after they won the civil war and executed the Tsar and his family, and continued until perestroika, when the Gulags were closed and the mass graves were overgrown and their millions upon millions of dead were received by Nature's earth and forgotten by man...

Without the Church, the Russian faithful had to learn how to be a Church unto themselves, and to live holy lives amidst their persecutors as more and more of them were taken away and placed into the Gulag for labors unto death... This little book, which first came to us in Russian, was their treasury of how to do so... It shows the cultivation of the Jesus Prayer in the heart of man... It normally does not need to be read twice...

He then goes on:

I looked at my Bible and with my own eyes read the words which I had heard,
that is, that we ought always, at all times and in all places,
to pray with uplifted hands.
I thought and thought, but knew not what to make of it.
"What ought I to do?" I thought.
"Where shall I find someone to explain it to me?
I will go to the churches where famous preachers are to be heard;
perhaps there I shall hear something that will throw light on it for me."
I did so.
I heard a number of very fine sermons on prayer—
what prayer is, how much we need it, and what its fruits are—
but no one said how one could succeed in prayer.
I heard a sermon on spiritual prayer, and unceasing prayer,
but how it was to be done was not pointed out.

We go through our days immersed in thoughts about all manner of matters, and our lives become used to this incessant internal dialogue, and we so often then simply come to "accept in ourselves" that this is who we are, always thinking our way into actions as we walk in the world...

Has anyone read this little book and tried to put it into action?

What were your results?

It is the prayer of inner stillness that is being discipled in it...

Attained by praying its prayer unceasingly...

The Eastern Orthodox Faith calls it the "Jesus Prayer"...

Arsenios

ps - The book is available online free:
The way of the pilgrim

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Wonderful book.
It has been widely read in the west by non-Orthodox readers. I was hoping that some of these might be participating in the thread... I started praying that prayer after reading the book before I became Orthodox - It was one of the first three books I read that led me into Orthodoxy...

I did a lot of driving to make a living, and I began praying that prayer instead of doing my own thoughts as I was driving - It almost became a driver's prayer! But even apart from driving, I simply replaced my normal inner dialogue with the Jesus Prayer softly spoken over and over... Two and a half weeks into this practice, I stopped smoking - 2-3 packs of hand rolled unfiltered cigarettes a day with a 30+ year habit - Cold turkey between cigarettes on a Tuesday afternoon...

It was a clue for a very clueless clue-seeker!

It is as if I have never smoked...

If one is Orthodox, the wing of the Church is outstreched over us as we pray this prayer...

Do you know people outside this Faith who follow it?

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
O Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Forgive me...

If you would help me, I wonder if you have an understanding of Paul's instruction to pray unceasingly, which so far I have only taken to mean every form of focus on what is Holy, on our Lord, both what I think of as "prayer", and also other forms of meditation and focus on Him and His way for us, all of them together. Perhaps that is it? Of course, it must be partly it, in that we are not to displace for instance other parts of our worship with prayer (one good thing is not to displace all other good things He said to do). Perhaps 'unceasingly' actually is somewhat hyperbolic, and really means instead 'often' and 'about many things' and such? To come to the Lord in prayer every day for instance? Such as the Lord's Prayer to be prayed each day?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you would help me, I wonder if you have an understanding of Paul's instruction to pray unceasingly, which so far I have only taken to mean every form of focus on what is Holy, on our Lord, both what I think of as "prayer", and also other forms of meditation and focus on Him and His way for us, all of them together. Perhaps that is it? Of course, it must be partly it, in that we are not to displace for instance other parts of our worship with prayer (one good thing is not to displace all other good things He said to do). Perhaps 'unceasingly' actually is somewhat hyperbolic, and really means instead 'often' and 'about many things' and such? To come to the Lord in prayer every day for instance? Such as the Lord's Prayer to be prayed each day?

Sure... It means that as well. However, there is a practice of the "prayer of the heart". That is the Jesus prayer. As with most things Christian, there are three well stated meanings.

Repeated often enough, over the years it comes as naturally as we breath.

The rosary is a RCC adaptation.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sure... It means that as well. However, there is a practice of the "prayer of the heart". That is the Jesus prayer. As with most things Christian, there are three well stated meanings.

Repeated often enough, over the years it comes as naturally as we breath.

The rosary is a RCC adaptation.

Forgive me...

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

We do need these kinds of prayers. Perhaps with slightly different wordings on different times, such as "forgive me Lord for my sins" and "make me know your ways and follow you more completely" or other wordings similar. And often I would pray other things with it that are very specific to my own weaknesses and needs. To be changed to be as He wants me to be.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

This is like many prayers I've prayed. With slightly different wordings on different times, such as "forgive me Lord for my sins" and "make me know your ways and follow you more completely" or other wordings similar. And often I would pray other things with it that are very specific to my own weaknesses and needs. To be changed to be as He wants me to be.

The shortest version is heard all the time...

"Lord have mercy."

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,156,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Lord have mercy."

Forgive me...

ah. We use that almost every Sunday also in our church service, often several times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It has been widely read in the west by non-Orthodox readers. I was hoping that some of these might be participating in the thread... I started praying that prayer after reading the book before I became Orthodox - It was one of the first three books I read that led me into Orthodoxy...

I did a lot of driving to make a living, and I began praying that prayer instead of doing my own thoughts as I was driving - It almost became a driver's prayer! But even apart from driving, I simply replaced my normal inner dialogue with the Jesus Prayer softly spoken over and over... Two and a half weeks into this practice, I stopped smoking - 2-3 packs of hand rolled unfiltered cigarettes a day with a 30+ year habit - Cold turkey between cigarettes on a Tuesday afternoon...

If one is Orthodox, the wing of the Church is outstreched over us as we pray this prayer...

Arsenios

Hmmmmmm.

I know those who are not Orthodox who are interested. I actually have concerns in this case, but if things move properly, it can be of great benefit. Ideally, I think I would say that even if they don't become Orthodox, they could be VERY helped by at least talking regularly to someone who understands Orthodox spirituality.

I do know someone outside of Orthodoxy who followed such practices and came to experience constant prayer welling up from the heart. There was joy, there was unwavering focus on God, there was seemingly effortless following of Christ - and there were at times attacks likely demonic in nature.

A competent spiritual advisor is a necessity, really, when dealing with that kind of demonic opposition.

As to your other comments, I have at times made it a prayer during driving, a prayer during simple physical tasks (as in the book, I think that is ideal), and a prayer for various other particular times as well. The associations we build, the constant breath of prayer, have so many "benefits" ... but I feel somehow wrong to promote it as a means for getting benefits. I think the only good goal to hope for is constant remembrance of God ... anything else seems to lessen it. But just as we are promised that if we seek first the Kingdom of God, and other things will be added to us, it works this same way. Seeking constant remembrance of and communion with God is the worthy goal, and many, many other side benefits will naturally follow. :)

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder if you have an understanding of Paul's instruction to pray unceasingly...

Please read The Way of a Pilgrim - For instance, in his search he did this:

I settled on another plan—by God's help to look for some experienced and skilled person who
would give me in conversation that teaching about unceasing prayer which drew me
so urgently. For a long time I wandered through many places. I read my Bible always,
and everywhere I asked whether there was not in the neighborhood a spiritual
teacher, a devout and experienced guide, to be found.

One day I was told that in a certain village a gentleman had long been living and seeking the salvation of his soul. He had a chapel in his house. He never left his estate, and he spent his time in prayer and reading devotional books. Hearing this, I ran rather than walked to the
village named. I got there and found him.

"What do you want of me?" he asked.

"I have heard that you are a devout and clever person," said I. "In God's Name
please explain to me the meaning of the Apostle's words, 'Pray without ceasing.' How
is it possible to pray without ceasing?
I want to know so much, but I cannot
understand it at all."

He was silent for a while and looked at me closely. Then he said, "Ceaseless
interior prayer is a continual yearning of the human spirit toward God. To succeed in
this consoling exercise we must pray more often to God to teach us to pray without
ceasing. Pray more, and pray more fervently. It is prayer itself which will reveal to you
how it can be achieved unceasingly; but it will take some time."

So saying, he had food brought to me, gave me money for my journey, and let me
go. He did not explain the matter.

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,300.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
.... "Ceaseless
interior prayer is a continual yearning of the human spirit toward God. ...
Around these parts we just call that hungering and thirsting after righteousness. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Around these parts we just call that hungering and thirsting after righteousness. :prayer:

The telling part is that it is not this mere definitional attribution
But is revelation from God:

It is prayer itself which will reveal to you
how it can be achieved unceasingly;
but
it will take some time."

It is so easy to slip from yearning for God to diapers and drudgery...

So at this point, the Pilgrim is sent on a quest for prayer without ceasing...

It is a good book - He takes us from find to find...

Arsenios

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,300.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The telling part is that it is not this mere definitional attribution
But is revelation from God:...
I think it does single out the meaning according to the word of Jesus. Revelation from God is according to His righteousness (that is in fact what revelation is, more head and heart knowledge revealed about Him, His Righteuosness) Seeking (hungering and thirsting) His righteousness promises that we will be filled. Nothing is added but the seeking (yielding) yet the promise is to be filled. Drudgery should only heighten the awareness of the need because even our best can never be enough. It seems the vital thing we should be all concerned about. Awareness of the yearning carries with it the attitude of ceaseless prayer.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟310,300.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Lord have mercy."

Forgive me...
"Lord Jesus I love you" is an effective means of calling on His Name also.

• Agree
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Paul's holy words, yet who can do them? Who, indeed, even CAN do them? How can sinners like us ever pray ceaselessly as our Way of Life?

The words of a Christian in the late 1800s may prove of value. Perhaps anticipating the fall of Russia to the Atheists in the early 1900s, he wrote a book, and began it with this simple introduction of himself as its author:

By the grace of God I am a Christian man,
by my actions a great sinner,
and by calling a homeless wanderer of the humblest birth
who roams from place to place.
My worldly goods are a knapsack with some dried bread in it on my back,
and in my breast pocket a Bible.
And that is all.

The title of the book is: "The Way of a Pilgrim"...

The assault on Christianity in Russia by the atheists began in full in 1917 after they won the civil war and executed the Tsar and his family, and continued until perestroika, when the Gulags were closed and the mass graves were overgrown and their millions upon millions of dead were received by Nature's earth and forgotten by man...

Without the Church, the Russian faithful had to learn how to be a Church unto themselves, and to live holy lives amidst their persecutors as more and more of them were taken away and placed into the Gulag for labors unto death... This little book, which first came to us in Russian, was their treasury of how to do so... It shows the cultivation of the Jesus Prayer in the heart of man... It normally does not need to be read twice...

He then goes on:

I looked at my Bible and with my own eyes read the words which I had heard,
that is, that we ought always, at all times and in all places,
to pray with uplifted hands.
I thought and thought, but knew not what to make of it.
"What ought I to do?" I thought.
"Where shall I find someone to explain it to me?
I will go to the churches where famous preachers are to be heard;
perhaps there I shall hear something that will throw light on it for me."
I did so.
I heard a number of very fine sermons on prayer—
what prayer is, how much we need it, and what its fruits are—
but no one said how one could succeed in prayer.
I heard a sermon on spiritual prayer, and unceasing prayer,
but how it was to be done was not pointed out.

We go through our days immersed in thoughts about all manner of matters, and our lives become used to this incessant internal dialogue, and we so often then simply come to "accept in ourselves" that this is who we are, always thinking our way into actions as we walk in the world...

Has anyone read this little book and tried to put it into action?

What were your results?

It is the prayer of inner stillness that is being discipled in it...

Attained by praying its prayer unceasingly...

The Eastern Orthodox Faith calls it the "Jesus Prayer"...

Arsenios

ps - The book is available online free:
The way of the pilgrim
I like the Way of a Pilgrim, though the first time I read it, I thought that it was a slick advertising gimmick for Philokalia . On subsequent readings, I have gained much more from its wisdom. No time to comment now, but I will come back to this thread after work or over the weekend (working a lot this week). I have found the Jesus prayer to help with developing that stillness of heart, but I am but a rank novice in this area.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it does single out the meaning according to the word of Jesus. Revelation from God is according to His righteousness (that is in fact what revelation is, more head and heart knowledge revealed about Him, His Righteuosness) Seeking (hungering and thirsting) His righteousness promises that we will be filled. Nothing is added but the seeking (yielding) yet the promise is to be filled. Drudgery should only heighten the awareness of the need because even our best can never be enough. It seems the vital thing we should be all concerned about. Awareness of the yearning carries with it the attitude of ceaseless prayer.

"Pray more, and pray more fervently.
It is prayer itself which will reveal to you
how it can be achieved unceasingly;
but
it will take some time...
He did not explain the matter."

The Fathers tend to be cryptic...
Revelation here is by doing...
A complete explanation ends the topic...
A simple obedience opens the way...

eg
"Doing the prayer will reveal HOW to attain it unceasingly...
[And...]
It will take time...

Now get outta here!"

Gotta love these guys!

Arsenios

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Arsenios
I practice this while driving also. I have found it valuable.

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0