BCD: Jesus as LORD

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Jesus as LORD

The gospel declares that Jesus is the LORD spoken of in the Old Testament.

An example is when Paul wrote, "That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile— the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Rom 10:9-13 That last verse Paul quotes from Joel 2:32 the context of which is talking about the LORD God but Paul applies to Jesus, indicating not only is Jesus the LORD God but also that one must confess such to be saved.

Another example John 12:40 is a quote of Isaiah 6:10 saying, "He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts, so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts, nor turn--and I would heal them." Then next verse John 12:41 says "Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus' glory and spoke about him." When we go back to Isaiah chapter 6, this is what Isaiah actually saw in Isaiah 6:1-3 "In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. And they were calling to one another: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."" Thus the gospel writer understood Jesus to be the LORD Almighty.

Note also Hebrews 1:10 He also says (about Jesus), "In the beginning, O LORD, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands." The writer of Hebrews is quoting Psalm 102:24,25 which says, "Do not take me away, O my God, in the midst of my days; your years go on through all generations. In the beginning, O LORD, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands" This is consistent with the gospel of John. Jesus created all things. The LORD Jesus laid the foundations of the earth. He is the one referred to as God in the Psalm.

This was the understanding of who Jesus claims to be. He is the LORD creator, the LORD God of the Old Testament, the LORD Almighty. Thus "Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself. For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything." Heb 3:3,4

• Informative
Reactions: Mr. M