✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you actually take that seriously?
Do you think the website in support of your claims about the costs of solar power has incorrect information about the cost of solar power? If not, the rest is just simple math. (The numbers I posted seem right within a factor of a few. Your $150 B number is whack and that was obvious from the beginning.)

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think the website in support of your claims about the costs of solar power has incorrect information about the cost of solar power? If not, the rest is just simple math. (The numbers I posted seem right within a factor of a few. Your $150 B number is whack and that was obvious from the beginning.)
That's why I asked if you actually took that figure seriously.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's why I asked if you actually took that figure seriously.

And I answered. In case you couldn't tell -- I think my number is a serious, "back of the envelope" calculation and yours ($150 B) is not a serious figure. I suspect you made an error in your calculation, but ...

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,136.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Here's an article about a Chinese company building a similar factory in the UK: Chinese EV battery maker in talks to invest £1bn in new UK gigafactory

Here's an architect's impression of the finished plant. You might note that there's barely a square metre of roof space that doesn't have a solar panel. Maybe someone should have a talk with Panasonic and Evergy in Kansas.

1757.jpg

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And I answered. In case you couldn't tell -- I think my number is a serious, "back of the envelope" calculation and yours ($150 B) is not a serious figure. I suspect you made an error in your calculation, but ...
But what? I do have a neurological disability called dyscalculia.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,136.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But what? I do have a neurological disability called dyscalculia.
So you thought you knew, or even actually knew, that your answer was wrong, yet still used it as an argument to try to prove yourself right?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you thought you knew, or even actually knew, that your answer was wrong, yet still used it as an argument to try to prove yourself right?
Sometimes I make poor decisions.

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,136.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So the only example of such a set up is a cartoon.
I've been in the business of dealing with large scale projects and using what the architects produce. What you see is a snapshot of a 3d model (quite possibly 4d - but it goes up to 8D, see here: BIM Dimensions: 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D, 6D, 7D & 8D BIM ) which are always produced whether the design is a small shed or a multi million dollar factory. And it shows quite accurately what they proposing.

Overall size? Yep. Car park size? Yep. Shading? Yep. Access roads? Yep. Planting? Yep. Roof profile? Yep. Solar cells and output depending on real time sun positions throughout the year? Yeah, all of it.

I've been out of the busines for 6 years but I used to knock something like that out in a few hours.

A cartoon? Yeah...right.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been in the business of dealing with large scale projects and using what the architects produce. What you see is a snapshot of a 3d model (quite possibly 4d - but it goes up to 8D, see here: BIM Dimensions: 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D, 6D, 7D & 8D BIM ) which are always produced whether the design is a small shed or a multi million dollar factory. And it shows quite accurately what they proposing.

Overall size? Yep. Car park size? Yep. Shading? Yep. Access roads? Yep. Planting? Yep. Roof profile? Yep. Solar cells and output depending on real time sun positions throughout the year? Yeah, all of it.

I've been out of the busines for 6 years but I used to knock something like that out in a few hours.

A cartoon? Yeah...right.
There's not a whole lot that can't be created with CGI. Like enormous highly complex interstellar spaceships. But obviously like buildings in a Pixar cartoon, such a facility doesn't actually exist. And instead of Panasonic, which makes solar panels, building something like that, they apparently find it more feasible to expand a coal plant instead.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,136.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's not a whole lot that can't be created with CGI. Like enormous highly complex interstellar spaceships. But obviously like buildings in a Pixar cartoon, such a facility doesn't actually exist.
This isn't CGI. It's modelling software (invariably Autodesk's Revit) incorporating BIM or Building Information Modeling. And it doesn't exist until they build it. (gee, who would have thought). But the model will already accurately detail the major components. Including a boat load of solar panels. Which they can use at this stage to very accurately determine potential energy supply.

It's a good idea to steer clear of subjects that you don't understand.
And instead of Panasonic, which makes solar panels, building something like that, they apparently find it more feasible to expand a coal plant instead.
Why not contact Panasonic and Evergy and see what they say?

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This isn't CGI. It's modelling software (invariably Autodesk's Revit) incorporating BIM or Building Information Modeling. And it doesn't exist until they build it. (gee, who would have thought). But the model will already accurately detail the major components. Including a boat load of solar panels. Which they can use at this stage to very accurately determine potential energy supply.

It's a good idea to steer clear of subjects that you don't understand.
I understand it just fine. It's the same software coding that's used to build the world of the video game I play. I've copied the developers in certain ways to design my six houses. I've installed floors, walls, ceilings, stairs, pools, fountains, landscaping. Even housepets that walk around and meow etc.

But tell me how that it is not imagery that's generated by a computer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,136.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I understand it just fine. It's the same software coding that's used to build the world of the video game I play. I've copied the developers in certain ways to design my six houses. I've installed floors, walls, ceilings, stairs, pools, fountains, landscaping. Even housepets that walk around and meow etc.
No, you don't understand it fine.

If your walls in your computer game have density, thermal properties, weight, structural loading, level, height, length, width, construction type (multiple layers or skins), reflectivity, coating, colour, code specifications, material supplier, construction phase and and even cost then hey, you've got a wall like I used to model. But you don't.

It's a good idea not to question someone's expertise when you are ignorant of the topic.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, you don't understand it fine.

If your walls in your computer game have density, thermal properties, weight, structural loading, level, height, length, width, construction type (multiple layers or skins), reflectivity, coating, colour, code specifications, material supplier, construction phase and and even cost then hey, you've got a wall like I used to model. But you don't.

It's a good idea not to question someone's expertise when you are ignorant of the topic.
How is it a bad idea to ask an expert a question? So once again please explain how that image you posted is not imagery generated by a computer.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,136.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How is it a bad idea to ask an expert a question? So once again please explain how that image you posted is not imagery generated by a computer.
You didn't ask a question. You made statements. Which questioned my expertise.

What I posted was an image of a model. The two are different. They are not the same. An image is what is displayed on a screen. Just pixels. The model is information within a computer that contains a vast amount of detail about every characteristic of every component within that model.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fine, but maybe making an argument based on your calculations isn't the best strategy then. (If I can deduce what that is.)
I found it amusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You didn't ask a question. You made statements. Which questioned my expertise.

What I posted was an image of a model. The two are different. They are not the same. An image is what is displayed on a screen. Just pixels. The model is information within a computer that contains a vast amount of detail about every characteristic of every component within that model.
So it's an image being generated by a computer. It's all virtual imagery generated by computer software. What you posed was a computer generated image of a conception of a facility with CGI landscaping, parking lot, streets and cars.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So it's an image being generated by a computer. It's all virtual imagery generated by computer software. What you posed was a computer generated image of a conception of a facility with CGI landscaping, parking lot, streets and cars.

It's a rendered image from a detailed design plan. The rendered images made for games or movies don't include anything but just the shapes that will be seen, and even those parts are often not required to make sense. (For example, a game may include visible pipes, but don't expect them to connect in a functional fashion.

Upvote 0