Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

China’s economy is struggling: Many young people can’t find jobs, the nation’s real estate market is in trouble after two major property development companies failed, and China’s stock market has seen a $7 trillion decline in just a few years. But Beijing has a plan to do something about it.

When the “green energy” movement began, China recognized an opportunity, Erin Walsh explains. Beijing saw an “opening because they don’t have oil, so they had to come up with something else,” said Walsh, senior research fellow for international affairs in the Asian Studies Center at The Heritage Foundation. “Because, how do you electrify and grow, and become No. 1 in the world, which is their goal; how do you do that if you don’t have energy?” she asked. (The Daily Signal is the news outlet of The Heritage Foundation.)

China has “hijacked the agenda” of the green movement, because the Asian giant is on the forefront of developing electric vehicles, batteries, and solar energy, according to Walsh.

Reactions: Merrill

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with Erin's statement.
“Because, how do you electrify and grow, and become No. 1 in the world, which is their goal; how do you do that if you don’t have energy?”
It's all about its national security and being self reliant. The ultimate goal is to replace the USA as a global world leader. The BRICS nations are taking a realistic approach to the West's bullying of other nations. China's use of coal has increased and their relationship with Russia and the Middle East has strengthened for oil. China will eventually wene themselves off of oil, and use coal and solar because they have the resources to create these two energy sources besides going nuclear.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Let's see...Chinese companies manufacture products which they would like to sell to people in the US. If people in the US want those products more than they want similar products made in the US, they will buy them. Nothing unusual or dangerous about that. I'm not sure I see what the problem is.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Let's see...Chinese companies manufacture products which they would like to sell to people in the US. If people in the US want those products more than they want similar products made in the US, they will buy them. Nothing unusual or dangerous about that. I'm not sure I see what the problem is.
Adding to that, affordable EVs aren't even produced in any quantity in the west, so even if people want to shop western goods, they either have to splurge for some luxury vehicle or try to get lucky with a used car, while BYD shows the world how its done.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Oh no, China wants to sell its electric vehicles. What's the patriotic american to do?

c7448879-e7b0-4986-aa97-fb8ca1e506b5.jpeg

Wroom.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,300.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
China will eventually wene themselves off of oil, and use coal and solar because they have the resources to create these two energy sources besides going nuclear.
Nuclear energy, namely nuclear fusion is basically the only way to go. Other sources are either weak, unreliable or a subject of politics (like oil and gas).

Almost everything will run on electricity in the future, so who will get the nuclear fusion right and implement it properly, he will win.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nuclear energy, namely nuclear fusion is basically the only way to go
I saw a video that looks interesting. I agree with nuclear. I heard Rolls Royce is working on a modular reactor.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,300.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw a video that looks interesting. I agree with nuclear. I heard Rolls Royce is working on a modular reactor.
You mean being in a car? Not sure about that, cars will probably always have a battery, but who knows.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You mean being in a car? Not sure about that, cars will probably always have a battery, but who knows.
They are in the renewables, I found the link

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
China has “hijacked the agenda” of the green movement, because the Asian giant is on the forefront of developing electric vehicles, batteries, and solar energy, according to Walsh.

...I don't know about "hijacking the agenda" but it's clear China has made the electric vehicle a priority. Last year, the Chinese car company BYD surpassed Tesla in electric car sales. Once more, they are affordable.

BYD’s cars deliver great value at prices that beat anything coming out of the West. Earlier this month, BYD unveiled a plug-in hybrid that gets decent all-electric range and will retail for just over $11,000. How can it do that? Like other Chinese manufacturers, BYD benefits from its home country’s lower labor costs, but this explains only some of its success. The fact is that BYD — and Chinese automakers like Geely, which owns Volvo Cars and Polestar brands — are very good at making cars. They have leveraged China’s dominance of the battery industry and automated production lines to create a juggernaut.

Without additonal trade protections for the US manufactuers, the Chinese car companies will have Ford, GM and Chrysler for lunch. But maybe our companies need a wake up call. After all, they have been making huge profits off affluent Americans selling overpriced SUV's...while ignoring the rest of the market. You would think they would have learned their lesson from the Jappenese in the 1970's...

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
They are in the renewables, I found the link
That's not nuclear, that's a hydrogen reactor.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

There are several dozen different small modular reactor designs either in development, testing, construction or operation. Small is relative though - most are going to be occupying sites measured in the tens of acres.

The concept is nothing new, it's a smaller reactor (in the megawatt scale) designed around sets of pre-fabricated (modular) components. That idea has been kicking around since (at least) the 1960s, but it's really only gotten legs under it since the mid 2000s.

The goal for SMRs is to lower construction costs and time compared to traditional large scale plants, while also offering lower ongoing operating costs and having a higher thermal efficiency than large reactors.

The drawbacks are lower power production (typically up to about 500 MWe, compared to 700+ MWe for large plants) and substantially higher initial fuel requirements. Some are also designed with shorter operating lives (typically 30-40 years, against 50+ for large plants).

• Informative
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think every car manufacturer is is investing heavily in EVs, including Ford and Jeep. There is already a wide choice from European and Asian makers.
Here are a few:

Meanwhile European countries are building lithium battery factories to cater for the greatly increased demand. Charging points are proliferating and electricity grids are being upgraded, maybe not fast enough to cope with demand.

Is this not happening in America too?

Upvote 0

Whyayeman

Dec 8, 2018
Worcestershire
✟162,355.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship

China’s economy is struggling: Many young people can’t find jobs, the nation’s real estate market is in trouble after two major property development companies failed, and China’s stock market has seen a $7 trillion decline in just a few years. But Beijing has a plan to do something about it.

When the “green energy” movement began, China recognized an opportunity, Erin Walsh explains. Beijing saw an “opening because they don’t have oil, so they had to come up with something else,” said Walsh, senior research fellow for international affairs in the Asian Studies Center at The Heritage Foundation. “Because, how do you electrify and grow, and become No. 1 in the world, which is their goal; how do you do that if you don’t have energy?” she asked. (The Daily Signal is the news outlet of The Heritage Foundation.)

The plan for decades has been,
Fill our banks, and your dumps.

Nothing new here.

• Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0