✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will start this one.

Romans 10:17 Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

So it is clear that faith COMES to individuals. So there is an element that God plays.

John 3:36 Those who believe in the Son have life, those who do not obey the Son will not see life but the wrath of God abides on them.

Those who believe...

There is seemingly an element that we play as well. So how is it that faith comes and yet we need act as well?

I would say this is the key.

In 2 Peter 3:9 and 1 Timothy 2:3-4 God says he wants all people to find repentance and be saved! And in Romans 10, just before v17 Paul says how can people believe unless someone preaches.

God plants a seed of faith in each individual when they hear the gospel (Mark 4:3-8), but each individual is responsible for cultivating that seed into something more.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Faith - What is its basis?

Is faith something that each individual finds on their own?

Is faith something that God grants to individuals?

Or is it possible for a combination of the two?

Faith exists in every person. It is a fundamental and necessary element of living.

God gives us the capacity to exercise faith in Him. He persuades us to do so by His Spirit who convicts us, illuminates our understanding, and woos us to Christ. We don't, I think, require some special kind of faith to trust in God, only the activation of our naturally-operating faith toward Him by a knowledge of the Gospel and the work of the Spirit.

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Faith...which every man has been given a measure of...and when one hears the call of God and begins to seek is exercising/using faith...and these will be rewarded because of faith in action.

The Father must first draw (kicking and screaming, even) us...and we respond by beginning to seek.

Hebrew 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Faith is a seed that God gives increase/causes to grow as we use what little faith we possess...like the parable of the talents. Seeking Him is using it...

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith...which every man has been given a measure of...and when one hears the call of God and begins to seek is exercising/using faith...and these will be rewarded because of faith in action.

The Father must first draw (kicking and screaming, even) us...and we respond by beginning to seek.

Hebrew 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Faith is a seed that God gives increase/causes to grow as we use what little faith we possess...like the parable of the talents. Seeking Him is using it...

So how does God give faith in light of 1 Corinthians 3:6?

“I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭3:6‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Would you say it is a fair assessment that God uses human vessels to shed his love, grace, and mercy upon mankind?

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith exists in every person. It is a fundamental and necessary element of living.

God gives us the capacity to exercise faith in Him. He persuades us to do so by His Spirit who convicts us, illuminates our understanding, and woos us to Christ. We don't, I think, require some special kind of faith to trust in God, only the activation of our naturally-operating faith toward Him by a knowledge of the Gospel and the work of the Spirit.

I actually think I can agree with this in part. My question would then be though, what does it mean in light of 1 Corinthians 3:6?

Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So how does God give faith in light of 1 Corinthians 3:6?

Would you say it is a fair assessment that God uses human vessels to shed his love, grace, and mercy upon mankind?
Absolutely! Just as he uses human vessels for judgement.

The 1 Corinthians 3 passage begins: "And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal..." which speaks to where their faith was...the seeds planted were the Word of God...those have to be received in faith in order to grow and take root...increased by God.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
God gifts all mature adults with the faith ability and everyone trusts in something or someone (including self). A saving faith is directing one's faith toward the benevolent Creator.

What about children and young adults?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What about children and young adults?

I do not believe in the doctrine of original sin, so I believe children before the age of accountability do not need salvation, since they are in a safe condition.

So why do we not just kill all children so they can go to heaven?

One reason is we are not allowed to kill them, but the other reason is we want them to fulfill their earthly objective which a child cannot fulfill which can only be fulfilled on earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I do not believe in the doctrine of original sin, so I believe children before the age of accountability do not need salvation, since they are in a safe condition.

So why do we not just kill all children so they can go to heaven?

I believe in the age of accountability with salvation too, but I was curious if you thought a child or young adult can have genuine faith and be close to God before reaching adulthood.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We know and love John 3:16 but when we read on the text shows us that our works leads us to or away from the light. v20-21 "²⁰ For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. ²¹ But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

This seems to suggest that it is our good works that lead us to faith.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know and love John 3:16 but when we read on the text shows us that our works leads us to or away from the light. v20-21 "²⁰ For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. ²¹ But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

This seems to suggest that it is our good works that lead us to faith.

I've never heard that before. Can you explain a bit more? :)

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe in the age of accountability with salvation too, but I was curious if you thought a child or young adult can have genuine faith and be close to God before reaching adulthood.

Matthew 18:10“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Men oppressed by the world can do either of two things: those who believe in justice cry out to God. Those who believe in the law of the jungle don't want to stop. They love the darkness.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

this is plainly read in the text and is nothing I invented. Read John 3:16-21. I point out what it seems to be suggesting that works has a role in belief but you will have to it work out yourself.

I see faith as an umbrella term that expresses both the things we believe and the things we do. James tells us that faith is dead without works but I'll point out the obvious that faith is also dead with out belief. Contrasted with james's statement this shows us the integral ingredients of faith: belief and works but they are inseparable and pointing to one reveals the other.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this is plainly read in the text and is nothing I invented. Read John 3:16-21. I point out what it seems to be suggesting that works has a role in belief but you will have to it work out yourself.

I see faith as an umbrella term that expresses both the things we believe and the things we do. James tells us that faith is dead without works but I'll point out the obvious that faith is also dead with out belief. Contrasted with james's statement this shows us the integral ingredients of faith: belief and works but they are inseparable and pointing to one reveals the other.

Perhaps as Paul explained in Galatians 5:6 that the only thing that matters in Jesus is Faith working through love?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I've seen "faith" defined as "loyalty based upon past performance". In other words, we can have faith that God will keep His promises in the future based upon His track record of keeping His promises in the past. Faith in God is built by seeing His trustworthiness and God gives us faith by showing Himself to be trustworthy.

Reactions: Wordkeeper
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've seen "faith" defined as "loyalty based upon past performance". In other words, we can have faith that God will keep His promises in the future based upon His track record of keeping His promises in the past. Faith in God is built by seeing His trustworthiness and God gives us faith by showing Himself to be trustworthy.

I can certainly see this in Abraham's life. Is there not a portion that just has to jump the proverbial cliff without any knowledge of the outcome though?

What I mean is even with Abraham, his first encounter with God, he had no idea what or who God was. Only that God said go.

Upvote 0