Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
On my quest to receive the prayer language, I ended up flowing in the gift of prophecy two times now. Once was when the Holy Spirit took full control of my mouth and spoke to the church during service, and the second is when I was leading prayer in church service when all the sudden my voice took on an authoritative volume at the prompting of the Holy Spirit and I started speaking on some things to do with salvation which I never planned to speak about. I never received words or images, but just spoke spontaneously with authority from the Holy Spirit. Unlike the first time, this time I was in control of what I was saying without knowing why I was speaking on this particular topic.

Why is it that though I am seeking a prayer language to improve my private prayer life, self edification, and to be able to intercede for others according to the Holy Spirit, I am instead flowing in basic prophecy? What is that about? I ask God to help me pray during Church according to his leading, but in the middle of praying in church, I started speaking prophecy instead. My pastor is starting to get suspicious since at first he thought it was a one time thing. Also I keep hearing God tell me he will utilize me in the Gift of Wisdom.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,855.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The only way anyone can judge your prophecy gift is on the content. You cannot be judged on the exercise of your gift. No person, even the pastor has the authority to stop you exercising your gift. But the Scripture gives those in leadership the right to judge your prophecies according to the Scripture. ?For example, the leadership do not have the authority to stop you using the gift.

It really does seem that you are being motivated by the Holy Spirit in the area of prophecy. It is normal for those who are used in prayer to develop a prophetic gift.

I do hope that the leadership of your church recognises your gift and encourages you to further develop it and not quench it just because you are a woman and maybe not in the central core of leadership.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
On my quest to receive the prayer language, I ended up flowing in the gift of prophecy two times now. Once was when the Holy Spirit took full control of my mouth and spoke to the church during service, and the second is when I was leading prayer in church service when all the sudden my voice took on an authoritative volume at the prompting of the Holy Spirit and I started speaking on some things to do with salvation which I never planned to speak about. I never received words or images, but just spoke spontaneously with authority from the Holy Spirit. Unlike the first time, this time I was in control of what I was saying without knowing why I was speaking on this particular topic.

Why is it that though I am seeking a prayer language to improve my private prayer life, self edification, and to be able to intercede for others according to the Holy Spirit, I am instead flowing in basic prophecy? What is that about? I ask God to help me pray during Church according to his leading, but in the middle of praying in church, I started speaking prophecy instead. My pastor is starting to get suspicious since at first he thought it was a one time thing. Also I keep hearing God tell me he will utilize me in the Gift of Wisdom.

What do you mean your "pastor is starting to get suspicious"? Is this something they are against?

I don't know what to tell you in regards to what that is all about, though it sounds like God has a different progression in the giftings for you than you do.
;)

Upvote 0

Missyjojo88

Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My church is a Church of God who has been going through some hard times. It had gone through several pastors in a short amount of time so the Holy Spirit was not moving as it should because of strife. It is only in recently years in our drive to get back to where we used to be as a church that God started showing his presence more. We don't really have many people manifesting in the Spiritual gifts or office like we should. There are people who do get dreams about things that turn out to be true at times though. But there are two women, the pastor's wife and this other lady who on occasions flow in the gifts of knowledge, wisdom, and to lesser degree prophecy because they are women of prayer (with praying ministry). After that its not really like it should be. Most people are not moving in their spiritual gifts. The problem is that our church has allowed the enemy to put dissension and confusion among us so when the Holy Spirit does show up he does not stay long enough to do more than he could. God have shown us grace with his presence from time to time to encourage those who are making effort, and to touch the heart of those whom he wants to convict. God wants to do more, but he cannot with strife taking place.

I guess when God started having me dress a certain way and cover my head (even outside of church), they thought it was some sort of religious spirit or that I was crazy. They became suspicious even though it was not me wanting to to be that way. It took some time to obey God (with a lot of crying and resistance) because I did not want to stick out or be seen as strange. Even my own mother was against me though it was God asking me to do this. If I were not 100% sure it was God, I would never have obey because this is not something I was accustom to or wanting to do. Out of what God has been telling to do, the hair covering thing leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. I just would not want to subject myself in what I consider to be an oppressive display. But yet nuns, certain Jewish women, and some Muslim who cover their heads do not let others stop them for doing what "they think" is right. How much so then a person who is being led by God himself to do this?

The only other person that I knew who used to cover their heads even outside of church was this prophet back up North in my old Methodist church. Oddly enough, she was from a Pentecostal church that ended up imploding. Then she received a prophetic word from a pastor to leave and come to my Methodist Church instead where God wanted her to be for a time, and she did. During that time she would be used by God to prophecy mostly in tongues when there was interpreter which was not often in a Methodist Church unless it was another person visiting who had the gift to interpret. But when there was no interpreter she would prophecy normally without tongues. I used to find her odd because she had her hair covered even outside of church though I was used to seen women cover their heads inside church service. Little did I know after moving down South and attending this present church I would be called to walk like this prophetess that I used to find odd as a teen. The Church of God that I am attending now is the only church of God or Pentecostal church I ever walked in. I only visit Pentecostal churches on rare occasion growing up so I was not used to tongues, the spiritual manifestations unless pastor/prophets from that background came to preach in my Methodist Church. I must say one of the positive things in my Methodist was that my former pastor (even my present pastor) is very open to having guest come in especially from the Pentecostal background.

Before I was called to start covering my head outside of my church, I was at the supermarket and saw a Muslim women which is normal in my area in Georgia. I always felt sorry for them, but never really thought too much about their hair covering since it was a normal thing to see now and days when I moved down there. But in this particular time I said inside my heart, " Thank God as a Christian we don't have to be in bondage of covering our heads and be subject to such oppression" not soon after (within days) I came across this crazy lady on youtube by mistake. She was a Christian who covered her head outside of the church. I thought she was a lunatic in a cult. Then God spoke to me and told me he wants me to cover my head. I said I do cover my head during church service. In the past another woman (she ended up moving North) who God used stated that God told her that those who were going on the pulpit needed to cover their heads (because we were directing service as the worship team) due to angels. As young adults we were reluctant, but I respected this word of prophecy and try to cover it during church only. The pastor himself though never emphasize on head covering or outer appearance.

But God kept telling me when I was outside of church to cover my head, even when I was in other churches. Once I was visiting another church, another time driving in my car, God kept telling me to cover my head. I said I am not in church, why should I have it covered? This conversation was taking place within me (I did not speak out loud). I did not want satan to influence me. But when I kept hearing God speak several times on this I was shock and I cried. I argued with God about legalism, religious spirit, that I was too young, this does not make sense, I am not a Muslim, only cult members do this etc, but in my heart I knew God was telling me to do this. God told me this is the way he wants me to walk with him. I felt like a part of me was asked to die because I was not vain, but simple when it comes to my outer appearance, but now I was asked to dress like some boring old nun as if I were guilty of being vain.

I ask the pastor's wife and the lady whom God uses in word of knowledge, wisdom, and prophecy to pray for me on this. They were taking back. They said it could be a deceptive spirit. They stated it was normal for women to cover their heads in church during service, but it was extreme to cover it outside of church. That it was taking this too far. I told them then pray for me since God have used them in the past to bring words that have been true. I told them if it was a demonic spirit influence me that God would be obligated to confirm this since I was in a position of leadership and did not want to be used by the devil while I was directing service for God. They prayed, but God never said anything to them (I knew he would not to test me). Since he never said anything they could not say it was of him or not, but I was allowed to continue as a worship leader because God would show his presence when I led. God had me constantly reading my Bible, in his presence, and at times fasting.

In my present church (COG), when God started using me in the simple gift of Prophecy, my pastor thought it was just a one time thing from the way he was talking about it, and he was not expecting for it to happen again in regards to me since he had a prejudice when it came to my covering my head outside of church. The pastor became surprise when it turn out it was God after all who was leading me to dress a certain way, and not some sort of deceptive spirit for he was giving discernment whenever God's presence came into the sanctuary. The first time he saw the spirit of God utilizing my mouth to speak. Now that it happened the second, he has begin to repent on the way he was thinking when he thought I was being overly religious and under some sort of religious/legalistic spirit. My mother though who almost lost her mind, and threatening to have nothing to do with me out of sheer embarrassment when I told her that God is telling me to cover my head outside of church is now pretending that she was not wrong in saying I was under a demonic spirit.

This just shows that God is the same today that he was yesterday. God at times may call people to act a certain way outside of the norm. It must have been tough for his prophets in the past to be asked to go around naked for days, marry prostitute, cook food using dung, etc while others thought they lost their minds. I think today due to the many deceptions that we automatically think that God is still not working outside of the box at times, but he is. The only thing is that we are always to test the spirit, but instead automatically thinking someone is being led by the devil, we need to ask for discernment so that we will not be guilty of grouping the people that God is using outside of the box with those of the enemy. I would have been just as guilty in thinking someone who was being ask to walk the way that God was asking me to, to be under some sort of deceptive/religious/legalistic spirit. So now God is showing that he is with me. I guess this is the beginning of him rewarding my obedience to him. God said he will do more than I ever thought he would with me. I have also seen the enemy come against me as a result of obeying God. Sorry that this is so long. But I felt it was important to share my background with you all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I think if a woman wants to cover her head that is her business. I think there are really some very beautiful techniques of wrapping the scarves. Here's (Wrapunzel) an interesting site on that. :)

Upvote 0

Missyjojo88

Mar 26, 2005
Connecticut
Visit site
✟19,679.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm always been torn about whether women should wear head covering or not. Paul wrote that when a woman pray or prophesy, her head should be covered. Does it mean she has to cover it at all times?

I was one of those stubborn mule who no matter how many times I heard a pastor preach on things to do with appearance would laugh it off and say they are out of touch with today's society. It had to be God himself to take time out of his day to come and tell me that this is what he wanted. I do believe until this day, if it were not God himself, I would never have followed through on it. In regards to covering ones hair, there have been three arguments.

1. It was within historical/cultural context
2. The covering was our natural hair
3. It was a literal covering

In regards to number two, you would have to research the original Greek word "covering" used in the passage to find out if it meant hair or some sort of cloth. The original Greek word would give clarity to this confusion.

Number one is what most pastors seem to believe, including my present pastor, and myself (before God reveal the truth to me). My present pastor though allows for women to choose or not to choose to cover their heads because he never emphasize on outer appearance all that much. My pastor is an intellectual who research biblical history and general history constantly. He has never used argument 2 for why he does not believe hair covering is for today because he most likely have looked into the Greek word and realized it was a literal cloth and not the natural hair. This is why he is in the school of thought of it being within a historical cultural context. That's fair enough on his part.

This thread will not be about me convincing you per say on head covering, but I believe people should research this controversial topic themselves and not just take anybody's words. My school of thought was always, if you want to cover your head fine, if you don't fine (I did not care for the head covering). Nevertheless, go to God in prayer for clarity in regards to this before you research it. I know for myself, when it comes to things to do with women's appearance, I will not accept any teachings unless God himself confirms it. As long as you allow yourself to be open to God's answer, he will confirm it to you. Also I realize if we are forced or asked to do something, without understanding why or without God's confirmation, it will only be temporary even if its something that is true.

My thread is mostly on my journey with God and learning to obey God when he tells you something that may destroy your pre-conceived ideas or notions on certain things. I literally felt a part of me was dying in the beginning of this journey. It was not fun, it wasn't what I wanted nor imagine 3 years ago. But God sometimes has to challenge us to see if we will take the extra step for him despite fear, opposition, and our pre-conceived notion. Us westerners are pretty big on our freedom, and our rights as women. Anything that we see as bondage or that threatens are choices or rights makes us want to automatically shut our ears and eyes. But I am reminded of this passage:

Roman 6:16 "Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?"

So we see that biblically it is possible to not only be a slave to sin, but to righteousness. Something to ponder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@ -> Missyjojo88

a little off topic im sorry .. but your posts excited my heart joyfully .not because of head covering or not or because of prophecy or not etc.
but because you felt the Lord ask a thing of you.. so you began to do what he asked ..
oh that All would walk so before the lord :) and have such a heart toward him in everything .

he ALWAYS has his perfect reasons ..we can trust in him m:)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I prophesied before I spoke in tongues. I knelt down and prayed for the Holy Spirit and expected to pray in tongues. Instead I prophesied.
"My son, I have loved you with a great love..."

But it is perfectly scriptural to prophesy. In the book of Acts we see the Spirit fall on them and "they spoke in tongues and prophesied..."

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I prophesied before I spoke in tongues. I knelt down and prayed for the Holy Spirit and expected to pray in tongues. Instead I prophesied.
"My son, I have loved you with a great love..."

But it is perfectly scriptural to prophesy. In the book of Acts we see the Spirit fall on them and "they spoke in tongues and prophesied..."

agreed :amen: and to add ..never assume the tongue at that moment is not ones own so called native tongue
and don't worry :) if you have asked the lord sincerely .. he has given ..keep waiting with expectation and trust :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,855.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What we have to remember is that a church is just a man-made organisation with its own rules and regulations - written and unwritten. I have discovered that God doesn't care very much about most of them. What He cares about is the state of your heart. What you do in church or outside of it is your own business and you can exercise your own conscience concerning whether you want your head covered or not whether you are in church or in the supermarket. Your church cannot tell you what to do about that. Paul made his comments in the context of the culture of his time. If he were alive today, would he say the same things about whether women's heads should be covered or not? I doubt it.

Also the pastor of a church does not have an authoritarian role. He cannot legislate on how you should be living your life. That is not his role. If he is doing that to people, then he is not a true pastor but a bully with a power and control fetish. The purpose of going to church is to strengthen your faith, not to weaken it or bring you into confusion.

The Holy Spirit in you has the casting vote when it comes to determining whether you should follow a church or a pastor's ruling about whether you should exercise a gift of the Spirit.

Also, if your church is having problems, they are problems of their own making and usually the problems are there because the place has one foot in the world, and is trying to push the world's values on people as well as religious ones. There is a big difference between religiosity and true Christian faith, even if both sides are saying exactly the same things. God looks on the heart and sees what motivates people.

A true pastor will celebrate the exercise of your gift of prophecy and will actively encourage you to improve it so that it can be a greater blessing to others. If your pastor is not doing that, then you have to ask the question, "Is this man a true pastor, or is he a hired hand?" The true shepherd cares for the sheep and protects them, while a hired hand is there just for the money, and care more about his salary and position than for the spiritual care of the members of the church.

Getting alone with God and the Scripture, away from the influence of your church is the best way of being able to pick the meat from the bones. God comes first, your family comes next, and the church comes in third place. That is the priority list that I follow and this has kept me from a lot of unnecessary strife.

Upvote 0