Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Father Seraphim Cardoza, former rector of St. Innocent Orthodox Church in Rogue River, Oregon, has reposed. For many of us who approached Orthodoxy from a Protestant background, Father Seraphim's videos and thoughts provided a much needed calming effect to the turbulence our former worldviews provided during conversion. Father Seraphim was a former protestant minister that held the gift of speaking the language of the convert. He was a solid witness for Christ and His Church. May his memory be eternal.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I love Fr. Seraphim. Memory eternal.

The past two years have been sadly reminiscent of 2013-15 in terms of the repose of people I love in the Church, such as Metropolitan Kallistos Ware, Metropolitan Hilarion Kapral, and Fr. Seraphim, among several others.

I remember nearly a decade ago when in the course of a few months we lost Fr. Peter Gilquist, and two bishops, Metropolitan Philip Saliba and the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch Mor Ignatius Zakka Iwas, all three of whom, but particularly Metropolitan Philip Saliba and Mor Ignatius Zakka Iwas were instrumental in persuading me to convert through their homilies and writing, respectively.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I remember nearly a decade ago when in the course of a few months we lost Fr. Peter Gilquist, and two bishops, Metropolitan Philip Saliba and the Syriac Orthodox Patriarch Mor Ignatius Zakka Iwas, all three of whom, but particularly Metropolitan Philip Saliba and Mor Ignatius Zakka Iwas were instrumental in persuading me to convert through their homilies and writing, respectively.
and Fr Alexander Atty

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
and Fr Alexander Atty

May his memory and the memory of the other blessed patriarchs, bishops, clergy and evangelists for Holy Orthodox who have reposed in the last fifteen years be eternal.

Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
May his memory and the memory of the other blessed patriarchs, bishops, clergy and evangelists for Holy Orthodox who have reposed in the last fifteen years be eternal.
amen. I don’t think a single person at St Tikhon’s had such an impact over such a short amount of than he did. his impact is still felt 10 years later.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
amen. I don’t think a single person at St Tikhon’s had such an impact over such a short amount of than he did. his impact is still felt 10 years later.

I really greatly like St. Tikhon’s, in that many of my best friends among the Orthodox clergy went there, and it is also a monastery, like my other favorite Orthodox seminary in North America, Holy Trinity in Jordanville.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really greatly like St. Tikhon’s, in that many of my best friends among the Orthodox clergy went there, and it is also a monastery, like my other favorite Orthodox seminary in North America, Holy Trinity in Jordanville.
yeah, the monastery was a big pull for me

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
yeah, the monastery was a big pull for me

Actually I really love ROCOR, the OCA and Antioch and the historical connection the three churches have. Unfortunately Antioch does not have a monastery in North America as far as I am aware.

There are really interesting permutations of the historical relations between the three churches however. For instance, in Los Angeles there is Holy Virgin Mary Cathedral, which mainly uses Church Slavonic and operates according to the Julian Calendar (I have heard this is also how things are in Alaska, where ROCOR has almost no presence, IIRC). Then , in New Jersey I think, there is St. Philip’s Antiochian Orthodox Church, which recently had a Vespers that intentionally was themed around using music from Church Slavonic composers translated into English, that one would otherwise normally hear at an OCA parish. For their regular liturgy, they use a four part harmony setting the composer of which I don’t know, but I have only heard it at Antiochian parishes, and also on one occasion at a Greek parish; I don’t think it is Tikey Zes unless it is different from the version of Tikey Zes I am familiar with, so I have no idea who wrote it, but I particularly like it.

Also historically these churches operated as a single unit, back during the era when Orthodoxy in North America was led by St. Tikhon of Moscow, when he was Bishop of New York, with St. Rafael Hawaheeny as his suffragan, in charge of the ethnically Antiochian parishes, which later became the AOCNA.

Due to communism there was actually a four way split, between the AOCNA, the OCA, or the Metropolia as it was then called, ROCOR, and the small number of parishes that opted to remain under the Moscow Patriarchate (one of them, Holy Trinity, on the East Coast, I forget where, has very beautiful English language liturgies on YouTube - it sounds a great deal like some OCA and ROCOR parishes).

And then with GoArch there was further confusion, in that the Carpatho-Rusyns who had been joining the OCA led by St. Alexis Toth instead started joining ACROD, which for reasons I don’t understand has a Greek bishop, but their cathedral has very beautiful music, although it is also the only non-Byzantine Catholic church I know of that uses “Now and forever” instead of “Unto ages of ages” at the ending of prayers. And likewise the UOCNA, although there were political reasons for that. However GoArch also gives us St. Anthony’s monastery, which together with Holy Trinity in Jordanville and St. Tikhon’s, is one of my three favorite monasteries.

However, despite these schisms, and also the unusual situation where half of the Romanian and Bulgarian parishes in the US are part of the OCA and the other half are under their own bishop, yet from what I understand there is no enmity, and also the presence of the three parishes of the Church of Georgia, which is the smallest jurisdiction in North America, and also the interesting case of the Serbians who managed to be independent yet have good relations with several other jurisdictions.

I have to confess that while the situation of overlapping dioceses is technically uncanonical, I actually don’t mind it; it is the artifact of unusual and unprecedented situations, and also I feel like the OCA has done a particularly good job minimizing the amount of overlap by, for example, containing within it the Albanian Orthodox parishes led by Archbishop Fan Noli when he was exiled under the nightmarish regime of Enver Hoxha, and other groups of Orthodox Christians who would not conveniently fit into another group.

The Oriental Orthodox in North America seem to be pursuing canonical order in a more practical way, building it from the ground up, in that they have SCOOCH, the Standing Committee of Oriental Orthodox Church Hierarchs in North America (whoever came up with that acronym, I would really like to meet by the way, as that was clearly the work of someone with a sense of humor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums