Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Certainly if you're interested in manuscripts, variants, authorship of the original writings, etc., you should read someone who is (1) actually a good scholar and (2) a Christian.

Christians can put a spin on scholarship, too. For example, I found the same New Testament manuscript variants discussed in multiple books, some by Christian authors, some Jewish, etc. I noticed Christian authors tended to make excuses for intentional changes by scribes, such as saying the scribes thought they were trying to help the Christian message. I would say there is no good excuse for altering Holy Scripture.

It's still happening today with amplified Bibles (one example,) in which commentary is inserted into the main body of text. It's easy for the reader to forget the commentary isn't part of the original text.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Certainly if you're interested in manuscripts, variants, authorship of the original writings, etc., you should read someone who is (1) actually a good scholar and (2) a Christian.

You never did answer my questions from a previous post. I will ask only one of them again:

How do you determine what is "shoddy scholarship"?

Even Christian scholars acknowledge many of the same New Testament variants contained in Bart Ehrman's books. The difference is in some of the conclusions drawn by Ehrman vs. Christian scholars.

One very significant variant is found in 1 John 5:7-8 of the King James Version (and other translations drawing on late manuscripts.) Emphasis with Italics and dark blue color is mine.

1 John 5:7-8 King James Version (KJV)
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

King James Version (KJV)
Public Domain

The variant "These three are one," is only found in late manuscripts. Translations such as New American Bible (RE), Holman Christian Standard Bible, New Revised Standard Version, English Standard Version, New International Readers Version, and others, have since corrected this variant to what is found in earlier and more reliable manuscripts. These English translations read these three are in agreement, or the three are of one accord, or these three agree, or the three of them agree, etc.

The conclusions and commentary, about the variant, differ significantly among Christian and non-Christian scholars (including Bart Ehrman.)

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If facts are a threat to your faith, what kind of faith is it?

Obviously, my faith survived. My faith survived through Christ who is the author and perfecter of our faith. To question my faith, is to question the work Christ is doing within me.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you determine what is "shoddy scholarship"?

Several people have lined to reviews of Bart Ehrman's books. I'll leave it at that.

One very significant variant is found in 1 John 5:7-8

That's hardly a "variant." No modern translation that I'm aware of includes the "Johannine Comma." Everyone agrees that it wasn't in the original Greek text.

Upvote 0

Anna Scott

May 29, 2009
Texas
✟21,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Several people have lined to reviews of Bart Ehrman's books. I'll leave it at that.

There are reviews both positive and negative. Please provide a source for the "shoddy scholarship" claim. That would actually help the OP of this thread.

That's hardly a "variant." No modern translation that I'm aware of includes the "Johannine Comma." Everyone agrees that it wasn't in the original Greek text.

Please provide a source for "hardly a variant." That would also help the OP and the discussion.

You haven't provided any sources for your comments on this thread. The OP is asking for help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've recently started reading Bart's books ("misquoting jesus"," paul, peter and mary","forged") While i haven't finished any of these books yet i am starting to get worried that maybe we don't really know where the bible came from- how do you argue against Ehrman's central theme in his books that is: we don't know who wrote most of the books in the Bible and we don't know much about the authors themselves? Is anyone's faith also being shaken here? Any advice on this particular author? (i am reading prochristian material too but Bart's material is backed up consistently so its not really about reading from both sides because he makes arguments that apparently are common knowledge in scholarly circles that aren't told to the average joe in sermons)
Thanks
Ssoliman

Most of the books of the new testament are anonymous or have ambiguous authorship, e.g. "James" could possibly refer to multiple people. Out of Paul's letters, 7 are near universally considered to be written by him, and 2 others are considered debatable. Many scholars some of the disputed letters were written by a disciple of Paul, which is NOT the same thing as forgery (It was an accepted practice for a disciple to use his teacher's name)

Upvote 0