Baptized in the Spirit and speaking in tongues?

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would say that in order for you to continue speaking and praying in tongues after the first burst, you had control over when and where you prayed it, and so, without realising it, you were acting out your faith every time you decided you wanted to pray in tongues, had the sounds in your head and spoke them out to the Lord.
Oscar, you sound like a nice guy. I want to say that there is major disagreement here and I and others will oppose that error.
That does not diminish you as a person,but rather attempts to get the ship back on course.I will attempt to address the root problem when I get on my laptop later on.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
With all do respect what you just posted is your opinion. You obviously have a lot of experience with the subject. I don't think you can find scripture to back you up. I am not saying you are wrong. I will always say Truth is Truth no matter what I believe!
Okay! :)
Question: Is speaking in tongues a voluntary or an involuntary act of speaking?

What happens if you get a sudden urge to speak out in tongues when you are conferring with your boss in his office? Or when the pastor is right in the middle of his sermon?

Or what do you do if you know you need to pray for the urgent need of a close friend, or your wife or child and you don't know what to pray in English and you sense the burden and want to pray in tongues. Do you? Or do you wait until God wobbles your mouth, vibrates your tongue and then away you go in tongues?

Isn't a chosen action done out of faith Scriptural or not?

Just askin'... :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Of course all of this is falsehood. None of this is taught in scripture.
Oh? So what is your definition of faith? Is it sitting around like a wooden Indian waiting for God to do something, or is it getting off your acre and doing what God tells you to do in Scripture?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No,this does not follow. A person might make believe they are engaged in a secret prayer tongue just like the early church and yet be mistaken.
A little boy might dream of being a police officer or a superhero but in reality he is a day dreaming little boy engaged in a fantasy.
There is virtually no difference between making rhyming noises and praying vain repetitive prayers using a rosary bead.
Neither one is effectual. It does not mean the person is wicked necessarily.
They are both perhaps sincere but nevertheless mistaken.
You may be basing your views about tongues on what you have heard when people have spoken it. Your reaction is exactly what Paul said your reaction would be if people spoke publicly in tongues without interpretation. He said that the one who spoke in tongues in front of others, in terms of understandability and edification, he would be speaking into the air.

And if what you have heard sounds like vain repetition, if the person is saying just "ra ba sha mala rab sha mala" then I believe you. but you cannot make any judgment about the tongues spoken privately where God is the only listener, because you have never heard those tongues. Therefore they are out of range of your experience.

You cannot say for sure that when a person prays in private and uses tongues in his prayer, that he is mistaken or that his tongues are false, because you are not a fly on the wall to hear it and make a judgment about it. If you tried, then you could be playing God for that person and telling the person that he is wrong, when God may be listening to the tongue, understanding and appreciating it. Then God could come to you and say loudly, "Who is he who darkens counsel without knowledge???"

I think the reason why you are maintaining that all modern tongues are false is what you were taught. And, if you have just heard a couple of people speaking in tongues in front of others, or watched a couple of Youtube videos, then you are basing your assertion on a very limited foundation, where, people are speaking tongues in a way that Paul taught not to.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Pardon me?
What I meant was that the person just sat like a wooden Indian waiting for God to perform some involuntary thing through him or her. But an involuntary action has no moral value to God at all, because we don't have a choice about it.

It's like breaking wind in an elevator full of people when you couldn't help it. No one would blame you if that was the case. But if you chose to do it, then that is another matter! :) (I couldn't help saying that!)

Faith is like sitting at the breakfast table with your muesli, corn flakes, toast and coffee in front of you, and you believe that breakfast will give you energy for your day, so you choose to eat it.

But some people treat receiving the gifts as the person sitting at the breakfast table waiting for mummy to come, pick up the spoon and feed them the breakfast when she chooses to feed them. If mummy doesn't come, then they will go away without having the breakfast.

If you believe that you have the gift of prophecy, then it won't be evident in you until you decide to prophesy. If the gift of healing, nothing will happen until you decide to lay hands on a sick person. (of course, it is the Holy Spirit who does the actual healing, but your obedience and faith puts God in a position where He can).

If I have a friend who needs to hear the Gospel, and I get an opportunity to tell him about Jesus, and I just sit like a wooden Indian and not say anything, then it is my unbelief that stops me from sharing the Gospel with him, because although I believed in my head that he needed to hear the Gospel, I didn't put my mouth into gear to actually tell him.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What I meant was that the person just sat like a wooden Indian waiting for God to perform some involuntary thing through him or her. But an involuntary action has no moral value to God at all, because we don't have a choice about it.

It's like breaking wind in an elevator full of people when you couldn't help it. No one would blame you if that was the case. But if you chose to do it, then that is another matter! :) (I couldn't help saying that!)

Faith is like sitting at the breakfast table with your muesli, corn flakes, toast and coffee in front of you, and you believe that breakfast will give you energy for your day, so you choose to eat it.

But some people treat receiving the gifts as the person sitting at the breakfast table waiting for mummy to come, pick up the spoon and feed them the breakfast when she chooses to feed them. If mummy doesn't come, then they will go away without having the breakfast.

If you believe that you have the gift of prophecy, then it won't be evident in you until you decide to prophesy. If the gift of healing, nothing will happen until you decide to lay hands on a sick person. (of course, it is the Holy Spirit who does the actual healing, but your obedience and faith puts God in a position where He can).

If I have a friend who needs to hear the Gospel, and I get an opportunity to tell him about Jesus, and I just sit like a wooden Indian and not say anything, then it is my unbelief that stops me from sharing the Gospel with him, because although I believed in my head that he needed to hear the Gospel, I didn't put my mouth into gear to actually tell him.

What part of post #208 is Biblical? Especially the first sentence in the last paragraph, Oscarr?

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Where in scripture does it say asking for a gift and having sufficient faith to receive it is a necessary requirement for receiving that gift? Did the disciples at Pentecost ask for the gift of tongues and then muster up enough faith before they received it? No, they never even knew such a thing existed! It simply happened. Ditto Cornelius. Ditto John's disciples. The only condition I can see for receiving a gift is that it must be the sovereign will of the Spirit (1 Cor 12:11).

Did Martin Luther also lack faith, or John Calvin, or Jonathan Edwards, or John Wesley, or Charles Spurgeon, or Billy Graham?
Spoken like a Presbyterian Calvinist! :)
Putting tongues aside (because we have been going over this same ground year after year!), are you saying that every gift of God has to be the sovereign work of God?
So the Scripture, "By grace are you saved, through faith, it is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God", means that if it is gift, salvation came come only through a sovereign work of God?
It is interesting that the 19th Century New England Presbyterian Church believed that, and so they didn't evangelise very much. Finney went against them by telling folks that they had to make a choice and then God would do the work in them.

But a person who may be under conviction of sin (which I believe is a sovereign work of God by the way), if he sits like a wooden Indian and does nothing, is he not still unsaved and will slide down into hell when he dies?

How come Paul says, along with pursuing love, that the Corinthians (and my implication, us), desire the greater gifts? If receiving gifts were just the sovereign work of God, then is not Paul mistaken when he shows that we can choose to desire one gift over another?

Can I ask you another question. I don't know if you have children or not. But if you do, and you discovered that the child had terminal cancer, and that was breaking your heart, wouldn't you be consumed with love for that child and pray, weep, travail before God that He would come and heal her? But wait! That wouldn't do any good, because healing is a gift and it is the sovereign work of God and there is no point in praying and asking God to do it. Wouldn't something like that cause a conflict within you between pleading for the healing, and not pleading for it because you know that God won't answer your prayer because He chooses according to His sovereign will whether He wants to heal her or not.

And if you took her to the elders of the church, as instructed by James so they can lay hands on her and pray the prayer of faith, that may not work, because James is wrong about having the elders do that, because healing is a gift and it is solely according to God's sovereign will and the laying on of hands will be a pointless act.

(In actual fact, that's what most Christians believe even if they lay hands on the sick. They do it because the Scripture tells them to do it, but in their hearts they don't believe God will heal the person anyway and are surprised and amazed if and when He does!)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Spoken like a Presbyterian Calvinist! :)
Putting tongues aside (because we have been going over this same ground year after year!), are you saying that every gift of God has to be the sovereign work of God?
So the Scripture, "By grace are you saved, through faith, it is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God", means that if it is gift, salvation came come only through a sovereign work of God?
It is interesting that the 19th Century New England Presbyterian Church believed that, and so they didn't evangelise very much. Finney went against them by telling folks that they had to make a choice and then God would do the work in them.

But a person who may be under conviction of sin (which I believe is a sovereign work of God by the way), if he sits like a wooden Indian and does nothing, is he not still unsaved and will slide down into hell when he dies?

How come Paul says, along with pursuing love, that the Corinthians (and my implication, us), desire the greater gifts? If receiving gifts were just the sovereign work of God, then is not Paul mistaken when he shows that we can choose to desire one gift over another?

Can I ask you another question. I don't know if you have children or not. But if you do, and you discovered that the child had terminal cancer, and that was breaking your heart, wouldn't you be consumed with love for that child and pray, weep, travail before God that He would come and heal her? But wait! That wouldn't do any good, because healing is a gift and it is the sovereign work of God and there is no point in praying and asking God to do it. Wouldn't something like that cause a conflict within you between pleading for the healing, and not pleading for it because you know that God won't answer your prayer because He chooses according to His sovereign will whether He wants to heal her or not.

And if you took her to the elders of the church, as instructed by James so they can lay hands on her and pray the prayer of faith, that may not work, because James is wrong about having the elders do that, because healing is a gift and it is solely according to God's sovereign will and the laying on of hands will be a pointless act.

(In actual fact, that's what most Christians believe even if they lay hands on the sick. They do it because the Scripture tells them to do it, but in their hearts they don't believe God will heal the person anyway and are surprised and amazed if and when He does!)
are you saying that every gift of God has to be the sovereign work of God?
If it isn't, who/what is it from then?

It is written that even Satan can/will do "signs and wonders".

Isn't that true?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What part of post #208 is Biblical? Especially the first sentence in the last paragraph, Oscarr?
At first I had difficulty going back to post #208 because I waited for God, in His sovereign will, to move the mouse for me. :)

Then I realised I had to do something!

James says that if a person says they have faith, then they have to demonstrate it by actions that show they have faith. James goes on to say that faith without works is dead. He is not talking about salvation by works here, so let's not get confused by that as some do.

No. James' principle is that if I have faith in the power of prayer, and never pray, then my faith in that is dead because I don't follow my faith with action. If I say that I have faith in the pastor of my church and I never go and hear his preaching, or go to him for advice when I need it, it could be said that my faith in him is dead because I don't do anything that shows that I have real faith in him.

A person who says that they are a man or woman of faith and power, but never shows it in his or her life - isn't that person a hypocrite, appearing to be someone they are not?

If I believe in divine healing (which I do), and I don't offer it to anyone with a medical condition who comes across my path, do I really believe in it, or am I just a mouth?

If you see a person being all saintly and religious at church, and you work at your job alongside him and see that he is irreligious, immoral and a bully at work, would you say that his faith in Christ is alive or dead?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
At first I had difficulty going back to post #208 because I waited for God, in His sovereign will, to move the mouse for me. :)

Then I realised I had to do something!

James says that if a person says they have faith, then they have to demonstrate it by actions that show they have faith. James goes on to say that faith without works is dead. He is not talking about salvation by works here, so let's not get confused by that as some do.

No. James' principle is that if I have faith in the power of prayer, and never pray, then my faith in that is dead because I don't follow my faith with action. If I say that I have faith in the pastor of my church and I never go and hear his preaching, or go to him for advice when I need it, it could be said that my faith in him is dead because I don't do anything that shows that I have real faith in him.

A person who says that they are a man or woman of faith and power, but never shows it in his or her life - isn't that person a hypocrite, appearing to be someone they are not?

If I believe in divine healing (which I do), and I don't offer it to anyone with a medical condition who comes across my path, do I really believe in it, or am I just a mouth?

If you see a person being all saintly and religious at church, and you work at your job alongside him and see that he is irreligious, immoral and a bully at work, would you say that his faith in Christ is alive or dead?

What has this post got to do with the post i was asking you about, especially the first sentence of the last paragraph?

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If it isn't, who/what is it from then?

It is written that even Satan can/will do "signs and wonders".

Isn't that true?
As you can see, I like answering questions with questions.
It is true that Satan can/will do signs and wonders, but what is his purpose for doing them?

If signs and wonders occur in a Christian conference and hundreds come to Christ, are those signs and wonders of God or Satan?

When Jesus said to the lame man beside the pool where the angel stirred the waters, "Take up your bed and walk", what if the man stayed where he was waiting for something to happen through the sovereign will of God?

What about the blind man when Jesus put mud in his eye and told him to go wash in the pool? Would the man have been healed if he said, "No. I'm waiting for God to sovereignly heal me"?

What about Naaman? He wanted the prophet to come out and do the healing on him, but the prophet told him to go wash himself in the Jordan River. How did Naaman show his faith in the prophet's instruction? And what was the result?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What has this post got to do with the post i was asking you about, especially the first sentence of the last paragraph?
I was demonstrating the need for action to back up my faith in that I could go back to post #108 by using my computer mouse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Oh. I misread your post. I'm an old guy who needs reading glasses. But the last paragraph says the same thing about having to put legs to your faith. If you say you have faith and don't put legs to it, then it is not faith but unbelief, because your mouth says you believe it, but your actions say you don't. (When I say "your", I am not point the finger at you, but I am talking about people in general),

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
As you can see, I like answering questions with questions.
It is true that Satan can/will do signs and wonders, but what is his purpose for doing them?

If signs and wonders occur in a Christian conference and hundreds come to Christ, are those signs and wonders of God or Satan?

When Jesus said to the lame man beside the pool where the angel stirred the waters, "Take up your bed and walk", what if the man stayed where he was waiting for something to happen through the sovereign will of God?

What about the blind man when Jesus put mud in his eye and told him to go wash in the pool? Would the man have been healed if he said, "No. I'm waiting for God to sovereignly heal me"?

What about Naaman? He wanted the prophet to come out and do the healing on him, but the prophet told him to go wash himself in the Jordan River. How did Naaman show his faith in the prophet's instruction? And what was the result?
It is true that Satan can/will do signs and wonders
i agree.

Therefore "signs and wonders" do not always originate with the living God.

That's why Jesus warned against being enamored with "signs and wonders".

Satan can put on a real show with them.

He's really good at it.

He's after all the father of all lies and king of deception.

Amen?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh. I misread your post. I'm an old guy who needs reading glasses. But the last paragraph says the same thing about having to put legs to your faith. If you say you have faith and don't put legs to it, then it is not faith but unbelief, because your mouth says you believe it, but your actions say you don't. (When I say "your", I am not point the finger at you, but I am talking about people in general),

I'm referring to that sentence especially where you said that those who do not have gifts is because of their lack of faith.

Where is that written in God's Word?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
i agree.

Therefore "signs and wonders" do not always originate with the living God.

That's why Jesus warned against being enamored with "signs and wonders".

Satan can put on a real show with them.

He's really good at it.

He's after all the father of all lies and king of deception.

Amen?
Right. But what is his PURPOSE? Is it to draw people to Christ or to draw people away from Him?

If signs and wonders cause people to turn to Christ, wouldn't Satan be shooting himself in the foot by doing something that is doing harm to his kingdom of darkness?

Upvote 0