Baptist Vs Non Denominational: Difference in Teachings?

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because it ADDED the OT canon. It doesn't mean we didn't already have the NT canon. Your source lists the period of fixation of the NT canon as 367-405 AD. CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Canon of the New Testament You are mistaken.

Now what was I thinking, arguing with a Catholic.

I have cited a number of sources to back my points and positions.

You: nothing.

:doh:

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One last thing to say.

"Many people think the New Testament writings were agreed upon at the Council of Nicea. There were 20 canons (church rules) voted on at Nicea – none dealt with sacred writings. The first historical reference listing the exact 27 writings in the orthodox New Testament is in the Easter Letter of Athanasius in 367 AD. His reference states that these are the only recognized writings to be read in a church service. The first time a church council ruled on the list of “inspired” writings allowed to be read in church was at the Synod of Hippo in 393 AD. No document survived from this council – we only know of this decision because it was referenced at the third Synod of Carthage in 397 AD. Even this historical reference from Carthage, Canon 24, does not “list” every single document. For example, it reads, “the gospels, four books…” The only reason for this list is to confirm which writings are “sacred” and should be read in a church service. There is no comment as to why and how this list was agreed upon."

How the New Testament Was Formed, R.A. Baker, Ph.D. Ecclesiastical History

Another point:

"The councils and the canon.

Not until the middle of the 4th cent. was it considered necessary for any general pronouncements on the subject of the canon to be made at church councils. It did not happen, in fact, until nearly three centuries of church usage had virtually fixed the canon. In spite of the variety of churches, subjected as they were to different influences and each exercising independent judgment regarding the separate books, the area of common agreement was remarkable. It may have been some considerable time before the matter of the inclusion of the minor Catholic epistles and the Apocalypse was settled, but the cautious way in which these books were received is a fitting testimony to the vigilance of the churches.

There is a list affixed to the canons of the Council of Laodicea (a.d. 363), although it has been suggested that the list may have been added later. It contains all the books except the Apocalypse. It is this omission that distinguishes it from the list in Athanasius’ Easter letter. Thirty years later the Council of Hippo in Africa agreed to a list identical with that of Athanasius. At Carthage four years after that (a.d. 397) another canonical list was agreed upon which comprised all the NT books. Augustine was present at this council. It should be noted that in this list there was reluctance to class Hebrews as written by Paul. This council marks the fixing of the NT canon until the time of the Reformation, when certain problems concerning it were reopened. But during the Middle Ages there are hints here and there of questionings.

The Reformation period.

The Roman church.

Of special interest are the views of a man like Cardinal Caietan, who although he opposed Luther at Augsburg in 1518, nevertheless shared something of his freedom of approach to the canon. He appealed to the authority of Jerome for disputing Hebrews, 2 Peter, 2 and 3 John, and Jude. Jerome did not himself reject these books. Caietan favored 2 Peter and dismissed the Apocalypse. Regarding Hebrews, he considered that if it was not by Paul it is not clear that it is canonical, a highly independent opinion. Moreover, he admitted that 2 and 3 John and Jude are of less authority than the rest of the scriptural books. It is extraordinary that no action was taken by the Rom. church against such views until after the death of Caietan in 1534. His opinions, together with those being expressed by the Reformers (Luther in particular), led to the fateful decrees of the Council of Trent on the canon in 1546. There was considerable difference of opinion over the classification of the canonical books, but the importance of the Council lies in its final decisions. For the first time, the Bible became an article of faith of the Church, accompanied by an anathema upon all who questioned any part of it. Moreover, the text specified was the old Vul. ed., which was to be regarded as “sacred and canonical.”

Source

Everything I said, was 100% correct.

Point mine. (Unless you want to tell a person who holds a Doctorate they are wrong)

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A Non-denominational church will accept other forms of baptism.

Maybe. Though I've never met a self-described non-denominational church ever accept anything other than single full immersion. If they exist, they are likely quite rare.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe. Though I've never met a self-described non-denominational church ever accept anything other than single full immersion. If they exist, they are likely quite rare.
If they will accept Christians who are not baptized at all (and this is actually very common these days) then it only stands to reason that they will accept a variety of baptisms. I've been in churches where the pastor has preached that its ridiculous to make a big deal about whether you are immersed or sprinkled or poured.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
This:

Is what you call a "quote"?

I see a link, no quote.

God Bless

Till all are one.
I said I CITED it. IT was a paraphrase followed by the citation. That is proper. I'm assuming you know what a citation is.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I said I CITED it. IT was a paraphrase followed by the citation. That is proper. I'm assuming you know what a citation is.

Of course I do.

The difference between you and I, I went to seminary classes, and I actually provide the quote, not a "paraphrase".

And in fact, citing your own article, it says:

"It was some little time before the African Church perfectly adjusted its New Testament to the Damasan Canon. Optatus of Mileve (370-85) does not used Hebrews.

But for the Catholic Church as a whole the content of the New Testament was definitely fixed, and the discussion closed."

Source

If your article is correct, then why as soon as 38 years later did the Council of Laodicea confirm all but Revelation?

Hum...

So then what I said still remains true.

As for the "official" canon of scripture, that did not happen until 1546 and the Council of Trent.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If they will accept Christians who are not baptized at all (and this is actually very common these days) then it only stands to reason that they will accept a variety of baptisms. I've been in churches where the pastor has preached that its ridiculous to make a big deal about whether you are immersed or sprinkled or poured.

On this, you'll get no argument from me.

However, as before, the reasons why one is baptized is a concern.

And I do know that as a general rule, the reason for being baptized in Catholicism is opposite from most Protestant groups.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Sure, but this was always from the vantage point that baptism is itself almost irrelevant--it's merely a sign or outward expression of faith--and, I imagine, if pressed they would still argue that if one is going to be baptized it should be full immersion. This was also largely what I heard at my Pentecostal church growing up (Foursquare, to be specific). I was raised and taught that it ultimately doesn't matter if you were "dunked or sprinkled on" since "if you don't know Jesus, you just got wet"; but when one chose to receive baptism as an outward, public expression of faith it should be done by full immersion "since that is what the Bible says". This was also the basic mantra from the non-denominational church I grew up in (my family attended a non-denom church before joining the local Foursquare church), and the general position of most self-identified non-denominationals and/or Neo-Evangelicals.

To that end, I suppose you may have a point that Baptists will typically insist that one must be baptized by full immersion, full stop; and in some cases require that one be baptized again even if they were formerly baptized in another Baptist church since there are Baptists who believe baptism is chiefly about public identification with the local congregation, due to a common Baptist belief that there is no universal Church, there is only the local church.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
and in some cases require that one be baptized again even if they were formerly baptized in another Baptist church since there are Baptists who believe baptism is chiefly about public identification with the local congregation, due to a common Baptist belief that there is no universal Church, there is only the local church.

-CryptoLutheran

Not to argue, but the only Baptists I personally know of that teach this are "Landmark Baptists".

And they take it so far to the extreme that if you are a member of Landmark Baptist A, and one Sunday you visit Landmark Baptist B, if on that day they are observing the Lord's Supper, you are forbidden from partaking because you are not a member of that specific church.

"The essentials usually noted by Landmark theology churches include church succession, the visible church, anti-pedobaptism (infant baptism by sprinkling), and anti-alien immersion (baptism outside of a Landmark Baptist church).

Because of its separatist stance, church membership in a Landmark Baptist church is considered as being of great importance. Church membership is required to take part in Communion (Lord's Supper). No one can participate in Communion outside of his or her home church."

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Not to argue, but the only Baptists I personally know of that teach this are "Landmark Baptists".

And they take it so far to the extreme that if you are a member of Landmark Baptist A, and one Sunday you visit Landmark Baptist B, if on that day they are observing the Lord's Supper, you are forbidden from partaking because you are not a member of that specific church.

"The essentials usually noted by Landmark theology churches include church succession, the visible church, anti-pedobaptism (infant baptism by sprinkling), and anti-alien immersion (baptism outside of a Landmark Baptist church).

Because of its separatist stance, church membership in a Landmark Baptist church is considered as being of great importance. Church membership is required to take part in Communion (Lord's Supper). No one can participate in Communion outside of his or her home church."

Source

God Bless

Till all are one.

I have been surprised to find Landmark Baptists still around. They seem to be dwindling, but otherwise resolute. They are certainly atypical of virtually all other Baptists I have known.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have been surprised to find Landmark Baptists still around. They seem to be dwindling, but otherwise resolute. They are certainly atypical of virtually all other Baptists I have known.

I disagree.

As a general rule, Baptist don't require Pentecostal, Presbyterian, or others Baptists to be re-baptized because although the method may be different, the reason is the same.

However, Catholics and perhaps a few others, are baptized for a different reason.

I do know that infants, when baptized in the Catholic church are to be regarded as among the faithful.

"If any one saith, that little children, for that they have not actual faith, are not, after having received baptism, to be reckoned amongst the faithful; and that, for this cause, they are to be rebaptized when they have attained to years of discretion; or, that it is better that the baptism of such be omitted, than that, while not believing by their own act, they should be bapized in the faith alone of the Church; let him be anathema."

Council of Trent, Session VII, Canon XIII

I know a lot more than people give me credit for.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They are certainly atypical of virtually all other Baptists I have known.

In the book "Old Landmarkism" we read:

"
Baptist churches, with all their rights, have no right to be inconsistent, nor to favor a practice unwarranted by the Word of God, and productive of evils. Under the inflexible law of "usage," which compels the pastor to invite "all members of sister churches present" to the Lord’s Supper, the following inconsistencies and evils, exceedingly prejudicial to our denominational influence and growth, are practiced and fostered.

1. Baptist Churches that practice intercommunion have practically no communion of their own. They have church members, church conferences, church discipline, but no church communion; and, therefore, no scripturally observed Lord’s Supper, and, therefore, none at all, as I have shown in Chapter VII. The communion of such churches is denominational, and not church communion.

2. Baptist Churches that practice intercommunion have no guardianship over the Lords Supper, which is divinely enjoined upon them to exercise. They have control of their own members to exclude them from the table if unworthy, but none whatever of others more unworthy who may come. Such churches can exclude heretics, drunkards, revelers, and "every one that walketh disorderly" from their membership, that they may not defile the feast; but they cannot protect the table from such so long as they do not limit it to their membership.

3. There are Baptist Churches that exclude from their own membership all drunkards, theater-goers, dancers, horse-racers, and visitors of the race-course, because they cannot fellowship such practices as Godly walking or becoming a Christian, and therefore believe that they are commanded to purge the feast of all such characters as leaven, and, yet, by the invitation to the members of all other Baptist Churches, they receive the very same characters to their table every time they spread it.

The evils of denominational communion

1. It opens the door to the table to all the ministerial impostors that pervade the land. They have repeatedly started from Maine or Canada, and "gone through" all our churches to the Southern Gulf and the Pacific Coast, and they can usually be traced back to the place whence they came by a grass-widow left in "perplexity" every one hundred fifty, or two hundred miles on the "back tract." These impostors hold "revival meetings" until all their borrowed sermons are exhausted, and make it a point to do all the baptizing, and have the weakness of some other ministers to keep a record of the number of their baptisms. It is needless to say that the church is often divided by their influence, and left in confusion and disgrace when they are exposed. California can witness to the evils resulting from these characters.

The remedy is, let no strange traveling preacher be admitted to the table as a participant, nor into our pulpits, until the church has written back and learned that he is in all respects worthy.

2. Denominational communion never has been sustained, and never can be, but at the expense of peace. It has always been the occasion of discord among brethren. It has alienated churches one from the other. It has distracted and divided associations, and all for the very good reason that it is departure from the simplicity that is in Christ.

3. It has encouraged tens of thousands of Baptists, on moving away from the churches to which they belong, to go without transferring their membership to a church where they are going, as they could have the church privileges—preaching and COMMUNION—without uniting with, and bearing the churches burdens. Nor has it stopped here. It has done more in this way to multiply backsliders and apostates all over the country than any other one thing that can be named. If Baptists could have no such privileges without membership, they would keep their membership with them and enjoy it.

4. To this evil may be traced four out of five, if not nine out of ten, of all the councils called to settle difficulties between churches during the last twenty-five years. The difficulties have in one form or another, grown out of this practice, and would not have been, had our churches observed only church communion.

5. All the scandal heaped upon us as "close communion Baptists" with much of the prejudice produced in the public mind and fostered against us, has come from our denominational communion. Had our churches severely limited their communion as they have their discipline, to their own members, we should no more have heard of "close communion Baptists" then we now do of "close-membership Baptists," or "close-discipline Baptists."

6. We annually lose thousands and tens of thousands of worthy persons who would have united with us, but for what they understand as our unwarranted close-communion. Our practice can never be satisfactorily explained to them as consistent, so long as we practice a partial, and not a general, open communion. Our denominational growth is very materially retarded by our present inconsistent practice of intercommunion. If we practiced strict church communion, these, and all Christians, could understand the matter at once; and no one would presume to blame us for not inviting members of other denominations to our table, when we refuse, from principal, to invite members of other Baptist churches—our own brethren.

7. It is freely admitted by reliable brethren who enjoy the widest outlook over the denomination in America, that for the last few decades of years the general drift has been, and now is, setting towards "open communion"—it is boasted of as a "broadening liberalism." There are numbers in all our churches—and the number is increasing, especially in our fashionable city and wealthy town churches—who are impatient of the present restrictions imposed upon the table; because, not being able to divide a principle, they are not able to see the consistency of inviting members of sister churches, and rejecting those whom we admit to be evangelical churches, as though all evangelical churches are not sister; nor can they divine why Pedobaptists ministers are authorized to preach the gospel and to immerse; are invited to occupy our pulpits, and even to serve our churches as supply pastors for a season—all their ministrations recognized as valid, and yet there are debarred from our table. They work for us, and we refuse to allow them to eat. The only ground upon which we can successfully meet and counteract the liberalizing influences, which are gently bearing the Baptists of America into the slough of open communion, is strict local church communion, and the firm and energetic setting forth of the "Old Baptist Landmarks" advocated in this little book."

Old Landmarkism, J. M. Graves, Chapter IX, The inconsistencies and evils of intercommunion among Baptists.

Landmark Baptists are group unto their own. And sometimes, not even that. :D

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In the book "Old Landmarkism" we read:

"
Baptist churches, with all their rights, have no right to be inconsistent, nor to favor a practice unwarranted by the Word of God, and productive of evils. Under the inflexible law of "usage," which compels the pastor to invite "all members of sister churches present" to the Lord’s Supper, the following inconsistencies and evils, exceedingly prejudicial to our denominational influence and growth, are practiced and fostered.

1. Baptist Churches that practice intercommunion have practically no communion of their own. They have church members, church conferences, church discipline, but no church communion; and, therefore, no scripturally observed Lord’s Supper, and, therefore, none at all, as I have shown in Chapter VII. The communion of such churches is denominational, and not church communion.

2. Baptist Churches that practice intercommunion have no guardianship over the Lords Supper, which is divinely enjoined upon them to exercise. They have control of their own members to exclude them from the table if unworthy, but none whatever of others more unworthy who may come. Such churches can exclude heretics, drunkards, revelers, and "every one that walketh disorderly" from their membership, that they may not defile the feast; but they cannot protect the table from such so long as they do not limit it to their membership.

3. There are Baptist Churches that exclude from their own membership all drunkards, theater-goers, dancers, horse-racers, and visitors of the race-course, because they cannot fellowship such practices as Godly walking or becoming a Christian, and therefore believe that they are commanded to purge the feast of all such characters as leaven, and, yet, by the invitation to the members of all other Baptist Churches, they receive the very same characters to their table every time they spread it.

The evils of denominational communion

1. It opens the door to the table to all the ministerial impostors that pervade the land. They have repeatedly started from Maine or Canada, and "gone through" all our churches to the Southern Gulf and the Pacific Coast, and they can usually be traced back to the place whence they came by a grass-widow left in "perplexity" every one hundred fifty, or two hundred miles on the "back tract." These impostors hold "revival meetings" until all their borrowed sermons are exhausted, and make it a point to do all the baptizing, and have the weakness of some other ministers to keep a record of the number of their baptisms. It is needless to say that the church is often divided by their influence, and left in confusion and disgrace when they are exposed. California can witness to the evils resulting from these characters.

The remedy is, let no strange traveling preacher be admitted to the table as a participant, nor into our pulpits, until the church has written back and learned that he is in all respects worthy.

2. Denominational communion never has been sustained, and never can be, but at the expense of peace. It has always been the occasion of discord among brethren. It has alienated churches one from the other. It has distracted and divided associations, and all for the very good reason that it is departure from the simplicity that is in Christ.

3. It has encouraged tens of thousands of Baptists, on moving away from the churches to which they belong, to go without transferring their membership to a church where they are going, as they could have the church privileges—preaching and COMMUNION—without uniting with, and bearing the churches burdens. Nor has it stopped here. It has done more in this way to multiply backsliders and apostates all over the country than any other one thing that can be named. If Baptists could have no such privileges without membership, they would keep their membership with them and enjoy it.

4. To this evil may be traced four out of five, if not nine out of ten, of all the councils called to settle difficulties between churches during the last twenty-five years. The difficulties have in one form or another, grown out of this practice, and would not have been, had our churches observed only church communion.

5. All the scandal heaped upon us as "close communion Baptists" with much of the prejudice produced in the public mind and fostered against us, has come from our denominational communion. Had our churches severely limited their communion as they have their discipline, to their own members, we should no more have heard of "close communion Baptists" then we now do of "close-membership Baptists," or "close-discipline Baptists."

6. We annually lose thousands and tens of thousands of worthy persons who would have united with us, but for what they understand as our unwarranted close-communion. Our practice can never be satisfactorily explained to them as consistent, so long as we practice a partial, and not a general, open communion. Our denominational growth is very materially retarded by our present inconsistent practice of intercommunion. If we practiced strict church communion, these, and all Christians, could understand the matter at once; and no one would presume to blame us for not inviting members of other denominations to our table, when we refuse, from principal, to invite members of other Baptist churches—our own brethren.

7. It is freely admitted by reliable brethren who enjoy the widest outlook over the denomination in America, that for the last few decades of years the general drift has been, and now is, setting towards "open communion"—it is boasted of as a "broadening liberalism." There are numbers in all our churches—and the number is increasing, especially in our fashionable city and wealthy town churches—who are impatient of the present restrictions imposed upon the table; because, not being able to divide a principle, they are not able to see the consistency of inviting members of sister churches, and rejecting those whom we admit to be evangelical churches, as though all evangelical churches are not sister; nor can they divine why Pedobaptists ministers are authorized to preach the gospel and to immerse; are invited to occupy our pulpits, and even to serve our churches as supply pastors for a season—all their ministrations recognized as valid, and yet there are debarred from our table. They work for us, and we refuse to allow them to eat. The only ground upon which we can successfully meet and counteract the liberalizing influences, which are gently bearing the Baptists of America into the slough of open communion, is strict local church communion, and the firm and energetic setting forth of the "Old Baptist Landmarks" advocated in this little book."

Old Landmarkism, J. M. Graves, Chapter IX, The inconsistencies and evils of intercommunion among Baptists.

Landmark Baptists are group unto their own. And sometimes, not even that. :D

God Bless

Till all are one.

What I intended to mean was that I have not encountered many Baptist churches that require rebaptism even if a person is already a Baptist in an identical church. I can understand rebaptism if a Christian had never been baptized or was not a believer when previously baptized.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What I intended to mean was that I have not encountered many Baptist churches that require rebaptism even if a person is already a Baptist in an identical church. I can understand rebaptism if a Christian had never been baptized or was not a believer when previously baptized.

Like I said, generally we don't.

However, if (and that's a big if) a Catholic were to cross demoninational lines, then we would ask for a re-baptism since they are generally baptized to remove sin, whereas Baptists baptize because sins have been removed.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

So I previously was a member of a Baptist church growing up (which I don't remember much of) now that I am older and maturing in my christianity I have finally found a church that fits It's a non denominational church and I was wondering what are the main differences because I may be speaking out of ignorance but I see very little other then preaching style. Are they teaching different things?

It is mostly difference in ecclesiology which simply means organization and governance assuming the non denomination church is evangelical conservative in nature. The organizational differences can be important if they lack accountability which some do.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is mostly difference in ecclesiology which simply means organization and governance assuming the non denomination church is evangelical conservative in nature. The organizational differences can be important if they lack accountability which some do.
You are replying to a post from over 7 years ago in a thread that has been dead for 3 years. Have you bothered to read any of the responses before deciding whether your wisdom was needed? Threads naturally die when they've run their course. If it is a subject you really want to comment on then please start a new thread.

Upvote 0