Baptist Vs Non Denominational: Difference in Teachings?

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are replying to a post from over 7 years ago in a thread that has been dead for 3 years. Have you bothered to read any of the responses before deciding whether your wisdom was needed? Threads naturally die when they've run their course. If it is a subject you really want to comment on then please start a new thread.

Or perhaps the thread should have been closed.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You are replying to a post from over 7 years ago in a thread that has been dead for 3 years. Have you bothered to read any of the responses before deciding whether your wisdom was needed? Threads naturally die when they've run their course. If it is a subject you really want to comment on then please start a new thread.

:amen:

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It's joked that non-denominational churches are just Baptist churches in denial. They avoid denominational affiliation for various reasons: perhaps they believe denominations are contrary to Scripture, had a falling out with whatever denomination they were previously a part of, or just think that the "Baptist" label has too much of a negative connotation, being associated with legalism and fundamentalism, but still want to follow Baptist beliefs.

In my experience, the difference is often in worship style (non-dem churches seem to have more contemporary worship, though some Baptist churches also have this, while Baptists seem to have more of a traditional style), perhaps charismatic (more emphasis spiritual gifts, but perhaps not to the same degree as Pentecostals), and ordain women.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,327.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It's joked that non-denominational churches are just Baptist churches in denial. They avoid denominational affiliation for various reasons: perhaps they believe denominations are contrary to Scripture, had a falling out with whatever denomination they were previously a part of, or just think that the "Baptist" label has too much of a negative connotation, being associated with legalism and fundamentalism, but still want to follow Baptist beliefs.

In my experience, the difference is often in worship style (non-dem churches seem to have more contemporary worship, though some Baptist churches also have this, while Baptists seem to have more of a traditional style), perhaps charismatic (more emphasis spiritual gifts, but perhaps not to the same degree as Pentecostals), and ordain women.

That may be true in the United States, but there are more exceptions to the rule than adherents to that rule. As I said previously, there are lots of us who are labelled as non-denominational who self-identify with other small denominations which are definitely not Baptist. If I wished to be Baptist I would have no compunctions about doing so, which is true with any denomination, should I decide to adhere to their theology rather than that of the PB's.

Upvote 0

9Rock9

Sinner in need of grace.
Nov 28, 2018
South Carolina
✟73,672.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That may be true in the United States, but there are more exceptions to the rule than adherents to that rule. As I said previously, there are lots of us who are labelled as non-denominational who self-identify with other small denominations which are definitely not Baptist. If I wished to be Baptist I would have no compunctions about doing so, which is true with any denomination, should I decide to adhere to their theology rather than that of the PB's.

By PB, do you mean Plymouth Brethren?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums