Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's "...the doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2).

(Prepositions help -There's 3 baptisms)

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus which reconciles us to God is the baptism for salvation. Baptized by the Holy Spirit into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4-9, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13; Acts 2:38; Gal 3:27; II Cor 5;18).

Water and Spirit baptism follows salvation - not in a set order though
2 - By another believer (water baptism) Jesus while on earth at his water baptism said, "... fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness," All 3 persons of the Godhead endorsed it (Matt 3:13-16). (Matt 3:6,11; 28:18-20; Acts 8:39, 10:47, 22:16; John 3:5).

3 - By Jesus who sends the promise of the Father baptists us "by," "with" and "in" the Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) includes when the Holy Spirit comes upon us, He endures us with power for service to Him and to keep His Word. We are to "...keep on being filled with the Spirit." (Acts 1:5, 4:31, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; 24:49, I Cor 12:13; Eph 5:18; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

They're different yet
"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...seems kind of like a ritual to me. And to me.

...seems kind of ceremonial to me. To me too.

...seems kind of like works to me. Yes, water baptism is something that we do.

...seems kind of legalistic to me. How so?

Thoughts? See above.

--David

Upvote 0

Llewelyn Stevenson

May 24, 2015
✟21,990.00
Faith
Pentecostal
When you practice baptism without faith and obedience and as a deed of the flesh you will view it as you do, but when you realise the power of faith and obedience and understand the meaning of its work you come to know it is the work of God and all who come to the light will do it.

It is a good work of the Spirit and belongs in the Law of the Spirit of life that is the guide to all who will believe.

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
When you practice baptism without faith and obedience
Obedience to what?

and as a deed of the flesh you will view it as you do, but when you realise the power of faith and obedience
There's that "o" word again.

understand the meaning of its work you come to know it is the work of God and all who come to the light will do it.
If Elohim is doing all the work; then why do we have to do anything?

It is a good work of the Spirit and belongs in the Law of the Spirit of life that is the guide to all who will believe.

Law? That sounds very legalistic. Where can I find this law of the spirit?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Baptism is only "works" if we place the emphasis in baptism on what we do, rather than what God does, in baptism.

If we put the emphasis on what Elohim does; then why not go all the way with that, and do nothing?

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...seems kind of like a ritual to me.

...seems kind of ceremonial to me.

...seems kind of like works to me.

...seems kind of legalistic to me.

Thoughts?
correct and its ok cuz

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

baptism is ritual but so were all feasts days nothing new , nothing wrong with it just need to understand its purpose

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If we put the emphasis on what Elohim does; then why not go all the way with that, and do nothing?

Because Christ told us to be baptised, and to baptise. "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you."

And because the faithful action becomes the outward and visible sign of the inward and spiritual grace.

• Agree
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you have a point to make?
Yes, read Romans 6:1-23 it is all about baptism which is symbolic of dying to sin and walking in newness of life. It is a physical sign of spiritual life as physical circumcision is a sign of a new heart to love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So what's your point? How does this address the OP?
Read the post above yours, it is none of the above in your OP. It is God's Word which is an outward confession and testimony to the world of newness of life in Christ in those who have chosen to believe and follow Gods' Word. Once again read Romans 6:1-23

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, read Romans 6:1-23 it is all about baptism which is symbolic of dying to sin and walking in newness of life. It is a physical sign of spiritual life as physical circumcision is a sign of a new heart to love.

It seems like that would be like a ritual requirement to act on one's faith. Why isn't just having faith good enough?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It seems like that would be like a ritual requirement to act on one's faith. Why isn't just having faith good enough?
It is not a ritual as a ritual is a repetitive action or behavior. Baptism is done once as a commandment from God and is an outward testimony that one has chosen to believe and follow God's Word and walk in newness of life and to die to the old sinful one.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,096,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Because Christ told us to be baptised, and to baptise. "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you."

And because the faithful action becomes the outward and visible sign of the inward and spiritual grace.

Obedience to everything that he commanded? That sounds like we have to do something. That sounds very legalistic.

• Optimistic
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0