Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I assume most are familiar with the idea of governmental checks & balances: veto, referendum, impeachment, judicial review, budget allocation, etc.

But is there a check you think is missing that should be added?
I think Supreme Court decisions should require at least a 6 to 3 majority instead of just 5 to 4. The 5 to 4 vote is just too narrow.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think Supreme Court decisions should require at least a 6 to 3 majority instead of just 5 to 4. The 5 to 4 vote is just too narrow.
This would lead to many cases ending in a "tie". We might as well have 8 justices at this point. The reason we have 9 is to avoid the situation of the tie. If a case cannot be decided by the Supreme Court, then what happens? The lower court's rulings are upheld? That's always a defacto win for the lower courts.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This would lead to many cases ending in a "tie". We might as well have 8 justices at this point. The reason we have 9 is to avoid the situation of the tie. If a case cannot be decided by the Supreme Court, then what happens? The lower court's rulings are upheld? That's always a defacto win for the lower courts.
I know. Not perfect. And yet I would like Supreme Court decisions to be more than the narrow decisions they often are, subject to a different outcome depending on the way the wind blows.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I assume most are familiar with the idea of governmental checks & balances: veto, referendum, impeachment, judicial review, budget allocation, etc.

Money in politics - as long as politicians can be bought we don’t have an effective democracy.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,102.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Random assassination of elected politicians. This would tend to encourage participation of only those individuals who were genuinely concerned with the best interests of their constituents rather than the content of their pockets.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I actually think having an equal amount of Justices is a good thing. Any kind of lasting change to the law should be decided by a consensus of the Court, not a slim one person majority. And a tie is no more a de facto win then the Supreme Court refusing to take up a case in the first place.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think we have a good balance now. Too many and nothing would get done.
There is a move afoot to add several justices to the Supreme Court.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a check which was removed that I would like to see restored, which is the check resulting from the House and Senate representing both two distinct groups and two distinct ideas of what it means for a state to be a state, which was accomplished by the Senate being chosen by the respective state legislatures. We should let the state governments have a say in federal legislation so as to allow state governments to check the federal government, and also allow the state governments to more effectively check popular mood swings in the House.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a move afoot to add several justices to the Supreme Court.
I don't like that at all. If anything I would drop the number back down to seven.

Upvote 0

Scholastica

Aug 25, 2019
California
✟27,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For the record, the US has had anywhere from 6 to 10 Supreme Court Justices. President Abraham Lincoln rather famously added the tenth justice to ensure his war policies could pass legal scrutiny, and Congress then lowered it to seven after he died to prevent President Andrew Johnson from nominating a any new justices as they retired during his term.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Honestly, I would love to see the Supreme Court become a court with a rotating bench, which there is nothing to prevent. Simply have every Chief Circuit Judge sit on the SCOTUS during their time as Chief Judge, and that way there is always movement on the SCOTUS bench.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Money in politics - as long as politicians can be bought we don’t have an effective democracy.

Yes. At least an amendment to abrogate the Citizen's United decision.

But also, a check on gerrymandering. Congressional districts should be drawn so that each House member represents as equal a number of constituents as possible. This would not require an amendment. Just an act of Congress. The Constitution gives the manner of choosing members of Congress to the states. But it also gives Congress the power to alter how Congresspersons are chosen.

Article I, Section 4:
The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yes. At least an amendment to abrogate the Citizen's United decision.

But also, a check on gerrymandering. Congressional districts should be drawn so that each House member represents as equal a number of constituents as possible. This would not require an amendment. Just an act of Congress. The Constitution gives the manner of choosing members of Congress to the states. But it also gives Congress the power to alter how Congresspersons are chosen.

Article I, Section 4:
The times, places and manner of holding elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each state by the legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by law make or alter such regulations, except as to the places of choosing Senators.
Congress has the power to eliminate districts altogether, or theoretically to draw the districts themselves. The issue with gerrymandering isn't districts being unequal in size, but rather how the districts are drawn to either dilute or concentrate votes towards a certain party.

• Agree
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Congress has the power to eliminate districts altogether, or theoretically to draw the districts themselves. The issue with gerrymandering isn't districts being unequal in size, but rather how the districts are drawn to either dilute or concentrate votes towards a certain party.

I agree completely. I probably wasn't clear. Districts should be established only by population and sensible geography without regard to political affiliation, socioeconomic status, or any other factors.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree completely. I probably wasn't clear. Districts should be established only by population and sensible geography without regard to political affiliation, socioeconomic status, or any other factors.
Oh ok. Honestly, I believe that we should eliminate districts altogether and elect our congressional delegation by means of proportional representation.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh ok. Honestly, I believe that we should eliminate districts altogether and elect our congressional delegation by means of proportional representation.
That would eliminate a check rather than add one. The Constitution would have to be re written to accept political parties as the basis of government, Rather than just being tolerated through neglecting to outlaw them , they would become Constitutionally mandated and essential to governance. That would most likely increase the oligarchical nature of the present two party system structure and make it permanent and impervious to any future desire by the populace to change that structure. Currently that system is merely an overlay that could be changed at any time the public desired it to change.
Currently a district votes for the person they prefer to represent their interests and as the constituents of that person they hold a great deal of influence over that person as they can remove that person form office by voting that person out. Under proportional representation no one's individual or group interests are of any concern to the representative other than the need to please the leaders of the party to remain in office. Voters have no recourse for removing a representative they find unacceptable as voters did not place that representative there the party did. .

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟242,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think you've got it there!

I think it's called lobbying and when you look at the 'benefits' lobbyists provide to members of Congress you can see a clear link between those benefits and keeping certain areas very profitable.

Congress is bought, and often other parts of government as well, Dick Cheney and Halliburton...

Upvote 0