Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He implied that it was unnecessary by saying it was preventable by changing behaviors. The problem with that, is that you cannot change other people's behavior (such as a husband's previous sex contacts) to prevent harm to yourself.

I agree that it shouldn't be forced, but it should be strongly encouraged.

Ok what measures do you consider to be strongly encouraging? I mean as it is now with other vaccines, no one says you absolutely have to have them, but you can't, for example, go to public schools without them.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok what measures do you consider to be strongly encouraging? I mean as it is now with other vaccines, no one says you absolutely have to have them, but you can't, for example, go to public schools without them.
I thought most public schools had allowances for medical and religious exemptions. Am I mistaken?

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought most public schools had allowances for medical and religious exemptions. Am I mistaken?

Such things exist yes, but they are often hard to get and often result in being treated differently than everyone else.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Gardasil doesn't need to be mandatory for school attendance. But it should be treated like Pneumococcal vaccine. Which is strongly advised for people in a particular age group, or with certain risk factors.

I can forsee a circumstance where it might be mandatory. If an unvaccinated minor (girl or boy) were raped by a person who had observable genital warts, then a court might order Gardasil for the victim. But that would be quite an exceptional situation.

Upvote 0

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gee, maybe there might be a trend back towards arranged marriages with candidates who are medically proven to be clean

BACK towards arranged marriages with candidates who are medically proven to be clean?

When was this ever the norm?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Such things exist yes, but they are often hard to get and often result in being treated differently than everyone else.
By whom? Usually kids aren't that aware of other kids' vaccine statuses. Well, except maybe the ones with compromised immune systems - other kids might be warned to not give them their germs.

Upvote 0

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I can forsee a circumstance where it might be mandatory. If an unvaccinated minor (girl or boy) were raped by a person who had observable genital warts, then a court might order Gardasil for the victim. But that would be quite an exceptional situation.

And pointless. Gardisil requires a series of 3 shots over 6 months to give adequate protection. Gardisil offers no benefit if administered after infection.

Upvote 0

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
By whom? Usually kids aren't that aware of other kids' vaccine statuses. Well, except maybe the ones with compromised immune systems - other kids might be warned to not give them their germs.

When I was growing up, my mother kept my shot record in her purse. When I was 6, her purse was stolen. I went through the rest of school being treated as one of those who didn't get vaccinated. (I am acutely aware that this could have been easily fixed and I've never been given a good reason why it wasn't.)

My friends never knew about it and never treated me different, except that I could not participate in non-school sports (Little League, Soccer, etc.) with them; I could not go to some camps; and I could not go to most daycare centers. From their perspective I just seemed to be the kid with a really dull mother who never took him to do anything.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I have never in 11 years working in schools, see a child get treated differently because he/she did not get a certain vaccine. Except for a time when I worked at a residential school and took the kids to their doctors appointments, I never even knew. Nobody does. Nobody cares about who gets what vaccine. "Ah hah, you didn't get the tetanus shot NERD!" Yeah, no.

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The parents are very often treated differently by the school system. I see it first hand as I work in a school.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That must be your school, then, because I've worked for three different districts, a BOCES (which services nineteen districts), and a private school and I have almost NEVER seen that. The parents are treated a bit differently because they ASKED to be treated differently, but it is never beyond the accomodation of the request.

I did see one parent get badmouthed after she left. She came in threatening to sue us because I had to restrain her son when he lost it after he got an ear infection. I have two U-shaped scars (bite) on my left bicep from that encounter, but she didn't care. So you bet I said some four letter words about her. But I'm venting. :/

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The parents are very often treated differently by the school system. I see it first hand as I work in a school.
Well, that must be quite a hardship what with all the minutes of interaction parents have. In what way are they treated differently? Do you treat them differently?

Upvote 0

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

I don't see the problem here. The parents made a decision to go against the best scientific evidence available and imperil many children other than their own. Why shouldn't they receive different treatment?

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
If a principal were to knowingly allow an unvaccinated child into a school and that led to serious outbreak, he/she would be exiled to Lower Slobovia for the rest of their natural life - and rightfully so!

You can't remain in a school with a case of head lice, let alone jeporadize the health of 100's of children because some administrator or parent considers themselves "exceptional" and above the rules.

In a world where any disease on the planet is only an international planeflight away, this is serious business!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jgarden said:
If a principal were to knowingly allow an unvaccinated child into a school and that led to serious outbreak, he/she would be exiled to Lower Slobovia for the rest of their natural life - and rightfully so!

You can't remain in a school with a case of head lice, let alone jeporadize the health of 100's of children because some administrator or parent considers themselves "exceptional" and above the rules.

In a world where any disease on the planet is only an international planeflight away, this is serious business!

Would that apply to principals who allow HIV positive students in school?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Would that apply to principals who allow HIV positive students in school?

If HIV were as virulent as diseases like measles, chicken pox, smallpox or polio, it would should absolutely apply to principals who allow HIV positive students in school.

No child going to public school right now has had a smallpox vaccine. Would you be concerned if your child or grandchild were going to school with someone who had an active case of smallpox?

Upvote 0

religious&reasonable

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Feb 16, 2011
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So Bachmann is scientifically illiterate? Then the progressives should wholeheartedly support her---after all, if she's that gullible, she'll be that much easier to convince that a fetus really isn't a baby and that global warming really is caused by human activity.

Oh come now, don't change the subject. this has nothing to do with evil leftists, or the LAMEstream media's "gotcha questions" or any of the bs.

This is about how Bachmann said something irrational, and made little sense. She used no evidence or facts to support her claims, and just spouted vague rhetoric, and not specifying at all about the situation, and Perry was ultimately in the right.

No I'm not a Perry supporter, before anyone asks (Ron Paul ftw).

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat

"Differently" as in "having special medical precautions taken with their children because paranoia has turned them into potential incubators for diseases which would've been wiped out by now if it weren't for such idiocy"?

Act like a loon; get treated like a loon.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I have Aspergers, with no history of it in my family. The arm thing, which I now call flapping, literally started the day I got the shot. That's an amazing coincidence. No doctor has ever been able to find something wrong with me to explain it.

First: Asperger's doesn't have evidence linking it as genetic. My brother has Asperger's and no one in our family has it either.

Second: If the behaviors started the same day, at that intensity, it probably was not the vaccine. They work fast, but they don't work THAT fast.

Third: Assuming you were tested appropriately, a doctor should be able to find something - obviously they know what's wrong with you since they can tell you that you have Asperger's.

Fourth: You're very coherent for someone with Asperger's. Tell me, what is your focus? Do you have any difficulty in social situations? Are you searching for "Asperger's" in Google right now to try to bolster your ridiculous anecdotal argument.

Upvote 0